Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Is the Witchcraft questline in Regrowth something I can skip? I did the starting quest and looked at some of the books for the mod and I have absolutely no desire to play through someone's Wiccan fanfic unless it's absolutely required to progress in the modpack.

Same question with the bee and fish breeding, too. I've gotten like 5 different breeds of bees and still Modest is the only kind I can use in the Wasteland biome so...should I even keep trying? As for Mariculture it seems entirely pointless to me. It served as a busywork stepping stone to a TiC smeltery and nothing else in it really looks interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

Super Crafting Frame is another one of those mods that warrants inclusion in basically every mod pack, too. Regrowth really won me over with super crafting frame for filling lava buckets -- have a bucket in your inventory, and slap a crafting frame on the side of a chest or drawer with your essence of fire. Right click, receive lava bucket. It was also a godsend for those loving weak essence items that had to be continually crafted together with different infusion stones; I just slapped four frames around a chest, dropped the infusion stones into that chest, and shift-right clicked on four different frames to compress all the weak essence I had into the most compact form available. Same for making cakes (seems like everything in Regrowth uses runes of winter.)

Oh man, I had no idea the crafting frames could pull from an attached inventory. I made a frame to combine the essences but I couldn't shift-click to craft a whole stack because the stone popped out of my inventory after the first craft. Instead I made a Worktable or whatever it is that stores up to 9 crafting recipes to crank them out.

Now that I'm getting into some of the more mechanical mods I'm reminded how much I don't care for BC pipes. So finicky and cumbersome compared to mods like TE, and I hate the redstone engines you need to plop on every extraction pipe.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

bigperm posted:

I agree with everything Glory said of Buildcraft... but still think it's fun. Think of it as BC pipes being analog and TE ducts as digital. Setting up the BC ones can be fun. Iron pipes to direct stuff, diamonds to filter, obsidian to void, gold to speed up, clay to insert... I think it's neat. Sometimes.

I would find BC pipes much less irritating if they let you directly control what pipes connect to what instead of having to use different materials to manage connections, which don't always have the specific rules you want. For example in Regrowth I want to have a chest I can dump all my harvested essences into and then a pipe system to automatically store them in a wall of drawers I have set up. I need to use clay pipes to make sure the essences always enter the storage instead of continuing through the sorting system, but clay pipes connect to adjacent clay pipes. That means I can't make a 2- or 3-high by x-long wall of drawers because it's possible for the item's random pathing to take an extremely long time to find the right storage drawer. Whereas if I could manage connections manually, I could easily set up a route that prevents loops and quickly hits every drawer in sequence.

That, and extraction pipes requiring 3 blocks instead of 1 (and possibly interfering with other redstone), item sorting requiring diamond pipes (which takes quite a while to get to the point where you can even start to mine)...just give me TE ducts any day.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

bigperm posted:

http://ftbwiki.org/Pipe_Plug

These let you cap off pipes you don't want to connect.

Why the hell does this require an Assembly Table to build.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Nick Esasky posted:

you can sorta get around this problem by slapping a drawer controller into your wall of drawers and piping everything into that. It'll automatically send anything you pipe into it to the right drawers that're connected to it, and i think it'll even send things to empty drawers if theres no room in existing marked drawers or they're full.

This is what I'm working towards, but the recipe required redstone or something that I didn't have access to at the time I was setting up my storage space.

I appreciate the effort post but this is end-game levels of infrastructure to accomplish something TE servos let you do with the most basic model right out the gate. Personally, I just don't feel laying out a fairly basic item storage system should require so much work.

Peepers fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 27, 2015

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

bigperm posted:

I guess they assume if you are using BC, you are going to build one. If you have and use BC without ever making one (it's not hard to make), you are really missing out on some stuff, and the mod seems even more useless.

In BC's defense I am complaining about it in the context of Regrowth, where the skewed tech and material progression causes some wonky issues, like diamond and redstone requiring railcraft steel to be able to be gathered.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Serifina posted:

He's mining Nether Ore, instead of making seeds.

Yeah, I put making the third transmutation stone on hold to work on some of the other questlines, including the one to make a blast furnace. And to sort out storage before I became even more overwhelemed by a whole new tier of materials to manage.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Magres posted:

Don't make the Blast Furnace, make an Infernal Blast Furnace (can make steel and refined steel, the latter of which you need for tier 4 materials) and tell Railcraft to gently caress itself once and for all.

gently caress the police blast furnace

Man I haven't even started Thaumcraft.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

So what do people think about the Galactic Sciences pack on the FTB launcher? I'm thinking about digging into that when I'm done with Regrowth because I really want to give Galacticraft a try.

I've played it for about an hour and while Ex Nihilo is super grindy, it doesn't seem like it should take too much work to automate the whole process. Are the later stages of the pack any good?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Does Regrowth have a questline to introduce Mekanism machines? I've gotten Osmium and Certus seeds up and growing by now, but I've never used Mekanism and I'm hoping there's an easier way to get through it and start up AE2 besides just clicking around in NEI and more or less guessing what the proper progression is.

The quests have sort of petered out where I am right now. There are still 3 locked chapters in the quest book, but I'm not really sure what I need to do to unlock them. I've only done the bare minimum in Witchcraft to start on Thaumcraft and Blood Magic, I have an infusion altar and a tier 2 blood altar, but I'm just not sure what to do next.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

That chapter's still locked for me. Happen to know what I need to open it up?

VVV That's all done, no dice.

Peepers fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 6, 2015

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

Going by direwolfs latest video mekanism is gated by wrought iron to make enriched alloy. Creating the smelter is apparently super annoying though since it uses a carpenter machine and biofuel.

That's necessary to make steel and ultimately the components themselves, but I'm trying to unlock the questline Glory of Arioch mentioned.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Mr. Peepers posted:

Does Regrowth have a questline to introduce Mekanism machines?

From a few days ago, but I found the answer to my question. The quests are gated by picking up a piece of Osmium Ore. I hadn't unlocked that because I put Nether Osmium Ore straight into the smeltery and Osmium essence into a drawer.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

There was some talk about Regrowth at the end of the just-closed Blightfall thread, I just have a quick tip to share: several very useful recipes require slimeballs (including Runes of Summer I believe), and while slimes are a tier 4 seed you can use a Botania alchemy catalyst to turn cactus blocks into slime balls much earlier.

The alchemy catalyst is just extremely useful all around. It also lets you get any vanilla saplings you've missed and leather as well.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

OK, so I'm at the point in Galactic Sciences where I'm starting to get the materials for the tier 1 rocket together and hooooooooo boy. Let me know if there's some faster process than what I'm doing now:

1. Make cobblestone using the Extra Utilities Transfer Node generator.
2. Compress cobble using auto-crafter (I think this just saves on power consumption but the quest book suggested it so...)
3. Put compressed cobble through a MineChem decomposer.
4. Take Si and O, make SiO2, turn that into gravel.
5. Sift gravel.
6. Hammer out all the ores into dust.
7. Throw dust into a regular old furnace.
8. Repeat for several hours until I have about 2 stacks each of the iron, copper, and tin I need.

As a follow up, a huge amount of the stuff in the modpack is gated behind Desh, which is only found on Mars. Mars requires a tier 2 rocket, which is an even longer grind than what I'm working through right now. Am I actually just torturing myself right now?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

I just tried out a harvest golem in Regrowth v0.8.5 and can confirm they DO NOT break sticks when harvesting crops. Gonna go hog loving wild with these things now.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

If you are feeding coal blocks or charcoal to multiple endoflames, I find the most reliable setup is an hourglass sending a signal to a hopper feeding an open crate to time fuel drops. Divide the burn time of your fuel (40 seconds for coal/charcoal, 400 for coal blocks) by the number of endoflames you're feeding to get the delay you need for the hourglass. As long as there's a mana pool to accept the mana there's no need to worry about items despawning and I find the pressure plate method breaks down when you're trying to feed too many endos off one.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Magres posted:

TC has the shock focus

nuff said

equal trade :colbert:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

I like TC a lot but I'll admit one of its biggest weaknesses is having a progression up its tech tree that is both the Correct And Easy way to do things and also not at all obvious at first glance. That method being bee-lining towards centi-Vis tech and finding a good node to put it on, followed by making a Thaumatorium and then an alchemy golem. Following those 3 steps in order makes the mod significantly easier to do stuff in as it removes much of the hassle of using the arcane worktable, crucible, and alchemical furnace.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Goncyn posted:

Has anyone in here ever done anything non-trivial with OpenComputers? I just finally took a serious look at it, and I'm really impressed by the detail and care that went into making a Minecraftian flavor of how computers actually work. Then I started poking around for YouTubes or any evidence of the creative possibilities hinted at by the manual, and I found ... a robot mining an 8x8 square. And a Big Reactor control program. (Okay the latter is pretty cool but surely someone has done something neat with drones and robots and ???)

In Etho's modded series, he used one of the computer mods, AE2, and a PneumaticCraft machine that allows remote inventory manipulation to set up a system where he can retrieve, craft, and store items anywhere in his world through chat commands. He goes over a bit of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQawzDGM4sk

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

If I've played Regrowth already, does Agrarian Skies 2 have enough stuff different to make it worth playing through as well? "Agricraft your way into growing everything ever" is fine once but if AS2 is the same with just a different mix of tech mods, ehhhhh.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

I installed FTB: Horizons Daybreaker for kicks, but it has EE3 in it, and I hate EE with the passion of a thousand burning suns. I'm trying to disable it but I can't get the modpack to load if I do. I've tried both deleting the .jar file from the mod folder and disabling it in the FTB launcher options (as well as EE3 Helper), but when I try to start the game Forge will complain and not do anything. Of course the in-game mod menu is worthless for disabling stuff.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Sage Grimm posted:

There's a simpler option: have you tried not using any of the options provided by EE and just leave it as part of the modpack?

It's much easier to ignore when it doesn't exist entirely. :colbert: (and more to the point, when it doesn't infest my recipe lists and waila tooltips with garbage)

However, I figured it out. EE3 has 3 dependencies in the modpack: EE3 Helper, Simple Condensers, and WIIEMC. Disabling all 4 and the pack loads fine.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

It's especially annoying in Regrowth because it gates so many things. I had to learn engines from the beginning and only now have I set up a steam boiler running off coal to get me some decent RF through commercial steam engines. Nevermind the fact I have to keep using it for steel and titanium because the blast furnace will only run off coke.

The blast furnace can run off charcoal pieces just fine (not blocks, though). It's not hard at all to make an iron->steel production chain using just hoppers.

I feel like the steam engines are the best thing Railcraft has to offer to the game. The hobbyist engine is very easy to use and makes a good power source for everything up until you're looking at BC Assembly Tables. The boilers required for the stronger engines are also fairly easy to set up and offer a good amount of flexibility in terms of how much power you actually want to make.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah charcoal or coke. Not regular coal, that would be unbalanced. I don't have a tree farm though.

I'll just make another coke furnace I suppose but I find the creation of burnt bricks to be an annoyingly obtuse process.

If you make a lumber axe with the auto-smelting upgrade and fortune, it will solve your charcoal problems. A single jungle tree will drop 6-8 stacks.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Doors are my preferred method of going underwater, they automatically make a 2-high pocket of air.

I've set up a mob grinder in Project Ozone 2, and holy poo poo is there a mass storage or automatic open-and-sort option for loot bags? I've had the thing running for about 10 minutes now and I already feel like voiding everything lower than epic.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Thanks. 95% of the bags are junk but I'd like to grab some stuff that's otherwise hard to come by so far (ender pearls and seeds) or that sounds like it might be important in the future (specter iron?).

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

I'm trying some 1.10.2 modpacks but did Mojang remove the FoV slider in the options menu, or move it somewhere else I can't find? The default FoV is really obnoxiously narrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

In Age of Engineering, is there any way to automate the repairing of tinker's tools? I'm trying to make an automatic wood farm with a wooden lumber axe, but I can't find a way to pull a repaired axe out of a tool station.