Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
Has anyone ever tried to write configs for AE2 that completely replace its world generation? That is, crafting recipes for the patterns normally found in meteorite chests and replacing all variations of certus quartz with regular old nether quartz?

I think the root cause of all the frustration around AE2 is that it's a mod whose primary feature is to mitigate a huge source of tedium in the vanilla game -- trying to efficiently store and access all your stuff -- and it does so with an incredibly slick, well-implemented solution, but it's incredibly expensive and complex to craft, which frustrates the desire to reduce complexity in the first place. I would love to try AE2 with some configs that drastically reduce the tedium and material requirements. I tried to poke around in Baby's First Space Race and OMP-i for relevant configs because I heard they tried to reduce tedium, but I can't find anything relevant among all the configs (nothing in the AppliedEnergistcs2 folder and no minetweaker recipes I can find). Can anyone point out what I'm missing about how these modpacks configure AE2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

AE2 has configs for most of its problems. You can turn channels off if you want a more AE1-like network. That plus eliminating meteor searching with minetweaker, and it's just fine.

I have to disagree with this. It's not the channels that really put me off, it's the incredibly complex crafting tree. Look at any item that actually does something -- take the ME Storage Bus, example. ME Storage Bus < ME Interface < Formation Core + Annihilation Core < Fluix Dust (grown then ground) + Logic Processor < Printed Logic Circuit + Printed Silicon (both inscribed). That's more than five combination steps using four different crafting methods. I realize that it's meant to all be automated eventually, but you still have to do it manually for a while until you have a system built, and that means I have to constantly refer to NEI or the wiki to remember what I'm doing. Contrast that with a mod like Ender IO in which machines are mostly two steps: you craft a machine frame, then you craft the machine, both in the crafting table.

AE2's complexity makes my eyes glaze over. I'm tempted to remove all the stock recipes and go through and write my own, simpler recipes for every item in the mod, but then I think, that's silly, why go to so much effort for something you don't like because it's too much effort.

I noticed the upcoming version of Ender IO is adding an Inventory Panel that's very similar to the ME Crafting Panel. I poked at it in creative a bit, and it works, but it seems pretty clunky (I couldn't find any way to pick up a single item out of the attached inventories, for example). There's also Automagy, if you want to go thematic and wildly complex in a different way. :shrug:

At least a few modders are experimenting with alternatives.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

ProjectE, formerly Equivalent Exchange, is this exactly. Every item has a value -- cobblestone and dirt are 1. Iron is like 256. Diamonds are 8,192. After you've obtained an item and used the tablet to "learn" it, you can burn up any item into its raw cost and pull out whatever it was you needed. Dump in 128 full stacks of cobblestone and you could grab yourself a diamond, or vice versa. It's super convenient but basically overrides every other mod once you get it, which is why it's probably best having it as a true endgame thing.

This sounds exactly like EE3 as explained in a recent direwolf20 mod spotlight. How is it different?

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Dunno-Lars posted:

EE3 isn't finished, is it? And never will be?

Looks like it's under active development to me? I was watching a recent Forgecraft2 episode, and the developer was on voice talking about his plans and how much work he's put into getting the basic features rock-solid.
https://github.com/pahimar/Equivalent-Exchange-3/commits/master

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Goncyn posted:

I'm tempted to remove all the stock recipes and go through and write my own, simpler recipes for every item in the mod, but then I think, that's silly, why go to so much effort for something you don't like because it's too much effort.

I couldn't stop thinking about this, so I did it. Here's my first pass at a set of custom recipes for AE2. I got rid of the inscriber, the grinder, and certus quartz entirely while keeping the quantity of materials required for everything almost the same. I still have a little work to do -- it's not possible to craft Quantum Entangled Singularities without another mod (EnderIO) that adds Ender Dust, and I still think some of the recipes could be simplified further, but I'm already pretty happy with how it turned out.

https://github.com/wjrogers/ae2-reduced

If you use EnderIO, you might want to put this in config/enderio too:

https://gist.github.com/wjrogers/f0d47792b14d710a62ed

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Taffer posted:

AE2 removes redundant materials by itself, so if you don't have EnderIO, AE2 end dust will magically appear.

Right, but there would be no way to create it with the grinder removed. Easily fixed with another custom recipe; was just pointing it out as something I'd forgotten to handle.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

McFrugal posted:

Why remove the grinder at all?

Mostly because I thought of it as part of the crystal-making steps I was chopping off the bottom of the crafting process.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
Re: Thermal Expansion vs. EnderIO (not that it's a fight, but they definitely share a niche to a large extent), I personally just can't get over how ugly all the TE machines are. I really like what they've done with UI, but the blocks themselves desperately need better textures. I'm also not terribly fond of the "make base thing, upgrade it to thing v2, upgrade it to thing v3" crafting system. I like the concept of installing upgrades into a single machine for each purpose much better.

Unrelated:

I'm starting to come around on certus quartz and the grinder for my AE2 revamp. There's no real reason to take out the grinder; it's mostly the inscriber that grinds my gears, and leaving certus quartz world gen in would increase the supply of materials for making AE2 things without having to scour the nether for quartz. Maybe I can add some of that back in and try to reduce the number of combine steps in some of the end-product recipes.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
"desperately" was strong, you're right, and most of the machines look quite good. I guess it's really just the dynamos and energy cells are always what I see first, and the colors on those seem to clash with the vanilla palette to me. Apologies for the hyperbole.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
Apparently this just got updated for 1.7.10. It looks pretty neat -- has anyone used it before? Thoughts?

http://www.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/224613-engineers-toolbox

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
Has anyone ever built an effective passive mob farm (i.e. no spawners, vanilla or otherwise, just a dark room) that used a Thaumcraft guard golem for the killing? Do golems prevent mobs from spawning near them, similar to players? What about golems with the visor accessory, which makes their kills drop XP?

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
But they didn't prevent the mobs from spawning? With or without visor? Did you try using the various combat accessories (armor, mace, dart launcher, fez)? What did you do about creepers?

I have so many questions.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Nolanar posted:

What are good mods that make the environment more interesting? I'm looking for something like bigger/smoother terrain, more "sites" to find when exploring, interesting rare mobs*, big veins of ore instead of little pockets, etc. Preferably something that accounts for mod ores, since I'm shoving this into my high-tech setup.

Most modpacks use cofh-core (the most basic part of the Thermal Expansion stack of mods, which can be used standalone or in combination with the rest of them) to control ore generation. It has a fairly simple configuration syntax and a few chat commands you can use in a creative world to test out your settings. There's documentation here http://cofh.github.io/docs/cofh-core/features/custom-world-generation/index.html (see for example the "large-vein" generator) and a collection of useful examples here https://github.com/ChatFawkes/CoFH-OreGen-Pack (note that you have to change some config options in cofh-core, notably ReplaceVanillaGeneration). I'm not ashamed to admit that I usually bump the numbers up by at least 2x or 3x on the rarer vanilla ores. I don't like spending hours hunting for enough gold ore to satisfy all the mods that use gold as their crafting staple.

Alternate Terrain Generation is a popular world-generation mod. It makes biomes fit together and mix more naturally and uses terrain heightmaps.

Roguelike Dungeons is the most straightforward way to get some more underground features.

Edit: you might find this thread helpful. Some people there seem to think Realistic World Gen is better than ATG. Recurrent Complex looks promising, too.

http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/3ap9yh/best_worldgen_mods/

Goncyn fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 22, 2015

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

THE PENETRATOR posted:

is there a way to get a minecraft install that is NOT in %appdata%?

FWIW, I use MultiMC and love it. Bonus, it's written by the original author of dfhack.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Alasdair Crawfish posted:

Just got back into modded minecraft after a while, what on earth happened to AE. To craft anything I need to...throw things into puddles to make fluix crystals? after making charged certus quartz that requires a charger built with fluix crystals? what is this garbage

I just went through this whole process. I was initially totally indignant about the absurd complexity of AE2, but that was before I actually used it in a game. The mod's brilliant; it enables really amazing automation scenarios that I just don't see happening any other way. Unfortunately, it also just suffers from severe "my vision!" and "balance!" over-complication. Here's my advice.

1. disable channels in the ae2 config
2. disable the inscriber in the ae2 config
3. use either ae2's built-in custom recipes feature or minetweaker to add normal crafting table recipes for the three processors
4. use either ae2's built-in custom recipes feature or minetweaker to change the charger recipe to use normal (un-charged) certus quartz
5. get the ae2stuff mod and use its crystal growth chamber to circumvent the whole in-world crafting nonsense and its general unreliability

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
Last time I was messing around with starting a new world, I was using a command that would dump counts of each type of ore to chat, so you could easily test (for example) cofh custom ore generation configs. Now, I can't remember what command that was or where I found out about it. It apparently wasn't any of the commands built into cofh-core. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

:(

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Threep posted:

/oredistribution from BDLib

you're a gentleman and a scholar. could not find anyone talking about this on Google to save my life.

for reference:
https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/35irwn/this_should_be_useful_to_some_people_pack_makers/

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
P2P tunnels don't create channels -- they tunnel channels through other channels. Given the same number of devices, you need the same number of channels coming off your Controller whether you connect some with P2P tunnels or not. What you can do in the case of your barrel situation is use a sub-network. I'm not confident that this is exactly correct off the top of my head without playing for a while, but the basic idea is:

- set up all your barrels with storage buses and connect them to a separate network totally disconnected from your main network (this will require its own controller if you have more than 7 barrels)
- Add a block-style ME Interface to the sub-network
- from your main network, point a Storage Bus at the sub-network's ME Interface
- use a quartz fiber to connect power across from the main network, too, if you want

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
I'm sorta talking out of my rear end here because I don't have any experience with server performance tuning, but on the latest "season" of the ForgeCraft 2 server, they made a rule against doing that sort of sub-network chaining for performance reasons. Dunno how extreme your network chain has to get to cause problems, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Thyrork posted:

Speaking of, is there a good updated list of all the crazy addons to Thaumcraft?

Depends on your personal taste and tolerance for varying quality (most addons are not as polished as Thaumcraft itself), but the only one I really like is Automagy. It's really well designed, meshes with the base mod well, and offers a lot of genuinely useful features that aren't just single-block power enhancers.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Blind Duke posted:

Automagy promises me something really cool(AE with magic! whoo!) and reveals ... floating brains

You're not wrong about the Inventarium. It's pretty tedious to do anything serious with it. I just like Automagy's redstone features, really.

Has anyone in here ever done anything non-trivial with OpenComputers? I just finally took a serious look at it, and I'm really impressed by the detail and care that went into making a Minecraftian flavor of how computers actually work. Then I started poking around for YouTubes or any evidence of the creative possibilities hinted at by the manual, and I found ... a robot mining an 8x8 square. And a Big Reactor control program. (Okay the latter is pretty cool but surely someone has done something neat with drones and robots and ???)

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
That's pretty neat. You happen to still have the code? Seems ComputerCraft is more popular, but I really like the way you build computers from individual components in OpenComputers.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Wolpertinger posted:

It seems like OpenComputers just has you spend a ridiculous amount of time putting together a bunch of aggrivating little chips that are used to make other chips that are used to make other chips that are used to make other chips, and it's not like you'd automate them since you don't need that many computers, since the sheer amount of recipes involved would make automation really tough.

Interesting. I haven't actually used the mod in a survival world yet, so I'm curious what I'll think of it when I do. I really, really dislike super-deep crafting trees because it mostly just adds tedium when it comes down to it.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Mr. Peepers posted:

In Etho's modded series, he used one of the computer mods, AE2, and a PneumaticCraft machine that allows remote inventory manipulation to set up a system where he can retrieve, craft, and store items anywhere in his world through chat commands. He goes over a bit of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQawzDGM4sk

Cool. I want to make one where a drone brings you the items instead of them just poofing into your inventory...

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Wolpertinger posted:

100% of the time gravestones ... end up, at some point, eventually for some reason, not spawning and losing all my poo poo

Just came across this mod TwoGraves that seems solid. I like it because it's just a gravestone, no other stuff.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/2480388-twograves-v1-1-keeps-your-items-safe-on-death

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was going to use [RF Tools] in BFSR particularly to make my tutorial dimension, but it doesn't seem to work with Lockdown.

The author of RFTools, McJty, is pretty responsive to questions and feedback. It might be worth trying to contact him to ask about whether what you're trying to do is possible? He posts a lot in the FTB subreddit, if you can stand poking around in there.
https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/2229562-rftools-dimension-builder-teleportation-crafter

Wolpertinger posted:

It seems like OpenComputers just has you spend a ridiculous amount of time putting together a bunch of aggrivating little chips that are used to make other chips that are used to make other chips that are used to make other chips, and it's not like you'd automate them since you don't need that many computers, since the sheer amount of recipes involved would make automation really tough.

Oh my god, you were so right. I just finally looked at the crafting recipes. This is really bumming me out. It's such a great mod flavor- and feature-wise! Why'd he have to go and gently caress it up with seventeen million crafting steps to actually make anything? :smith:

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
How do you guys feel about AgriCraft? I'm feeling pretty ambivalent about it, so I'll ramble for a bit because maybe I'll get some interesting suggestions.

There are two bits to AgriCraft: the "crossbreeding" seed-statistics system and resource crops. The former, I initially thought I liked, but now I'm pretty sure I don't. It's busywork that encourages you to spend a lot of time clicking on seeds instead of exploring or building things. (I do, however, like the crop sticks -- they add a nice convenience layer on farming without resorting to fully-automated farming machines.) Resource crops, on the other hand, I just can't figure out. I like mods that encourage creative building and engineering contraptions (Botania and Immersive Engineering are my favorites). I was thinking I would like a mod that lets me grow my resources at a steady rate instead of having to do some tedious strip-mining when I run out, but combined with the busywork of the seed system, I can't shake the feeling that I'm just wasting my time on progress quest for an excuse to not play the game.

I know a lot of you play packs that offer a more directed experience, but those of you who don't, do you use AgriCraft resource crops (or Magical Crops, or BobGary's Growable Ores)? How do you prefer to escape the resource-scarcity loop?

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
Re: my rant about AgriCraft being grindy

SugarAddict posted:

That's because you aren't using the sprinklers. The sprinklers dramatically increases growth rate, they irrigate, and they also stack. If you use the sprinkers you can just ignore things like growth rate and harvest.
After a couple more days of escaping my family by playing internet lego, I'm pretty sure I agree with this. I had already switched off weeds and "non parent crops affect stats negatively", and now I also enabled "single spread stat increase", and I'm having fun puttering around in my fields without feeling like I'm just in a mindless grind. Only gripe remaining is that sprinklers cost a suit of armor's worth of iron, but there's Minetweaker for that...

Now, anyone know why Plant Mega Pack's vegetable wraps show up as 72 pages of recipes in NEI instead of a single recipe with all the allowed ingredients cycling through like most do?

Goncyn fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 29, 2015

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
Just discovered this bug and now I am super bummed. The AgriCraft + Drum of the Wild auto-farm I was just about to complete actually doesn't work. Might have to give up my purity experiment and just toss in MFR or something. I was trying to see how much cool stuff I could build with just Botania, Immersive Engineering, and AgriCraft, but if I can't automatically harvest my farms, no bueno.

https://github.com/InfinityRaider/AgriCraft/issues/518

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
I have to apologize to KingLemming for the things I said months ago about the crafting recipes for Thermal Expansion. Now that's I've properly played with Thermal Expansion + friends, I think they're among the best-designed mods out there. There's a lot of content and interaction among the machines without the sort of runaway complexity or rampant micro-crafting I was fearing. The recipes are only a couple steps deep, and they're logical enough with few enough basic materials required that I've already started to memorize them. Finally, the servo/filter/retriever duct system is amazing. I honestly don't think EnderIO compares favorably in any of these respects.

I know I'm probably not saying anything y'all don't already know; just like talking about game design. I had sort of a weird reluctance to use the staple tech mods, but that was wrong and stupid. Thermal Expansion + Thermal Dynamics make an interesting design challenge out of the main thing you do in Minecraft: get items and put them in chests.

Still think the dynamo, energy cell, and gear textures are hella ugly though :D

Demiurge4 posted:

Edit: Direwolf20's been doing a Thaumcraft 5 spotlight and I gotta say the new golems are really cool

The new golems look amazing. It seems like 1.8.x is happening now -- Direwolf20 also started a new server play series to show off some of the mods getting released, and some of them are really impressive. I guess the changes/improvements made to the rendering system really unlocked some new possibilities once people took the effort to switch over to it. (Get the feeling that another year of work on Forge has also yielded some real benefits.)

Really looking forward to seeing what else folks come up with.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

bbcisdabomb posted:

Making them is a pain in the rear end and clogs my chests with nuggets

Use compacting drawers from Storage Drawers and never worry about converting between nuggets/ingots/blocks again. Other than that, making them doesn't seem any harder than any other crafting task, and the recipes are simple. It's worth it for the flexibility and control you get over how items move around your pipes.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
Is there a good single-purpose 1.7.10 mod that adds a crafting table w/ an inventory, preferably a sided inventory that can be piped into?

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Taffer posted:

XACT crafting

this seems to be ye olde and never updated to Minecraft 1.7?

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Taffer posted:

Someone forked it and maintains an updated version for 1.7 https://github.com/UniversalLP/XACT/releases

Ok, this mod is pretty nice. It's simple and it does exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
Post a more detailed description of your problem than "does not work"?

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
XACT is a bit buggy. Its inventory seems to lose sync with the client sometimes. I've had a phantom stack of 57 plastic sheets for a while. Also would be nice if there were a way to interact with the chip case while in the crafter interface? Nice concept to it, though, so I'll put up with it.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
Re: Journeymap and leftover maps from previous worlds: recent versions of Journeymap have a "clear map" button in the options to fix exactly this problem without having to root around in the filesystem.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Magres posted:

Anyone got any ideas why my autofarming setup won't work? We have something similar for potatoes that works like a charm, but the drum for some reason will harvest once or twice when I first place it down, then refuses to do anything else.

There's a bug in Agricraft's support for the drum/horn of the wild. It's been fixed, but they haven't released a new build yet. https://github.com/InfinityRaider/AgriCraft/issues/518

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
I've watched some of the Jaffa Factory series from YOGSCAST Lewis & Simon since it was mentioned here. It's almost kinda good -- their little skits and antics w/ the competing companies would be genuinely funny if they didn't completely run it into the ground by spending an entire 20-minute episode rambling about high-quality dirt. Get the joke in, and then actually build something! This is still Minecraft right guys? right?

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Tyty posted:

How difficult is it to cut down on mods each spawning their own version of copper?

The easiest way to homogenize ore generation is to handle it all with cofh-core. The first time you launch your instance w/ cofh-core and Thermal Foundation loaded, it will generate defaults.

- Edit config/cofh/core/common.cfg and set I:ReplaceVanillaGeneration=true. You don't need to worry about retroactive ore generation unless you later add a new mod with new ores.

- Edit the configurations of any other mods to completely disable ore generation. For example, in Immersive Engineering's config, you can set the first value in each array under oregen to 0. Poke around in mods' config files for anything else ore-related, but most of the big ones are designed to sort of mesh together automatically -- they'll have recipes defined in all their machines for each others' items, and the ore dictionary goes a long way toward making everything just work.

- Ore generation is controlled by the json files in config/cofh/world. You should have a Vanilla.json and ThermalFoundation-Ores.json. You'll need to create additional files/templates for any additional mods whose ores you need to generate. Some links for documentation and more examples:
http://teamcofh.com/docs/cofh-core/features/custom-world-generation/
https://github.com/ChatFawkes/CoFH-OreGen-Pack

Just for sharing, here's the simple list of mods I've been playing with. http://pastebin.com/z0ku6kJS (thanks for the tips on AppleCore and XACT here!) and my small contribution to roll-your-own modpack integration:
code:
# scripts/saplings.zs
import mods.botania.ManaInfusion;

# insert rubber saplings into the sapling loop
ManaInfusion.removeRecipe(<minecraft:sapling:0>);
ManaInfusion.addAlchemy(<MineFactoryReloaded:rubberwood.sapling>, <minecraft:sapling:5>, 120);
ManaInfusion.addAlchemy(<minecraft:sapling:0>, <MineFactoryReloaded:rubberwood.sapling>, 120);

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Fortis posted:

(unlike Atum :argh:)
Are any of the "new dimension" mods worthwhile? Every time I see a forum thread for one, it's so full of marketing fluff that my eyes glaze over, but they tend to promise a lot of content. Does any of them deliver?