Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Much as I'm looking forward to the Modderation: FYAD server I'm wondering if there'll be any 'easy' regen sources for the early Blood Magic self-bleeding game. Fallen Kanades from Botania are so good for that task :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I suppose there's always /give-ing super-enchanted diamond gear to the chosen Powers That Be and a single wood pickaxe to the proles :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I tried for like an hour to come up with an idea for a building on Modderation FYAD (thanks projecte for literally infinite resources :buddy:) and ended up doing nothing more than digging out a giant hole in the side of a cliff. I need some kind of inspiration for a building :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wait, we have a date on the Blightfall update now? I can't view anything technic at work :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Omega Virus board game of the year, all years

:v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So just so I know for tonight, what sorts of blocks stop taint from spreading? I learned from horrible past experience that cobble replacing the glass in your dome won't stop it :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I called in for animals a couple times yesterday, and both times it created an egg called Spawn. The first one created a villager named Spawn who, eventually, wandered down into the glass-walled cave under Alpha and got tainted. The second one spawned a blaze named Spawn :stare:. Are the eggs supposed to be unidentified like that?

Speaking of the glass wall, if the taint and tendrils and stuff are being stopped by the presence of the pure node in the silverwood tree, is there any actual point to the glass wall in the cavern, besides halting critters? Or can I fearlessly break that and replace it with a two-high cobble wall or whatever?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Magres posted:

It's worth noting that it's 250 whole blips of hunger, not 250 halves. I just dug through SpiceOfLife.cfg to check (and with the intention of lowering the food history) and yeah.

If you want to change your food history value to something you find more fun (whether that's raising or lowering it) then you can do the following:

Open the Technic launcher, hit modpacks, click Blightfall. Towards the top right there will be a gear with "mod options" next to it (there's also one with "launcher options" which you don't want). There's an "Install Folder" option with Open and Move next to it, click Open, then open the config folder in your install folder, then open SpiceOfLife.cfg with a text editor and look for the following lines:

# The maximum amount of eaten foods stored in the history at a time
I:food.history.length=500

Change it to whatever value you like. I'm dropping mine to 200, which is 10 full bars of hunger, which seems like what will be fun for me because I'm not really into the Pam's Harvestcraft recipes and stuff. Hunger for me is basically a tax I pay to access the fun parts of Minecraft, to each their own.

Can I set one of those values to zero to turn Spice of Life off completely? Because I agree hunger is a dumb boring mechanic as it's used in Minecraft and I hate dealing with it, I'd be 100% happy just making a stack of bread and being done with the whole affair

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is it reasonable to (almost) completely ignore TiCon after the introductory bits? I'd just as soon not do the casting/smelting thing again in a modpack.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

it's the only source of ore doubling until you can generate RF or research sufficient thaumcraft (they disabled the AE grindstone) so you will probably wanna keep using it just for that

Yargle wargle bargle piss. Going down to get lava all the drat time was the other irritating part of that that I always forget until I have to do it.

Maybe I can creative in a pulverizer and energy cell :v: (nah)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh my loving god why is this sugarcane taking so long to grow, i've been staring at it for ingame days now and only one of three have grown once :suicide:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mechanics question, do areas cleansed by Ethereal Bloom remain so if I remove the bloom, or how does that work?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nomikos posted:

Re: Thaumcraft research, there's an option in the config file to disable the minigame but keep the research point costs.

code:
    # 0 = normal, -1 = easy (all research items are directly purchased with RP), 1 = Hard (all research items need to be solved via the research table)
    I:research_difficulty=-1

I've read it's cheaper to do the research minigame and without it you run out of the 'common' aspects infuriatingly often, but I figure in Blightfall's case that I'll just find a way to say I'M A WIZZARD and cheat in research if I get mad enough :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Still waiting to get enough cane for paper to make my thaumonomicon when I left this morning :shepicide:

I don't even have a bloody smeltery yet!! :saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sage Grimm posted:

...go harvest more from the Swamp Delta and along the river instead? Use that seven free bonemeal you get every single minecraft day on the cane?

Not gonna lie, I haven't even left Bio-dome Alpha except for a brief sojourn to the swamp to get some notCopper, then went back to BDA to mine iron and get started on TC.

I'm scared of exploring for some reason, I don't want to die too many times and tank my rep :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Alkydere posted:

But in doing so, you should edit spice of life's config to be a bit more sane.

If by bit more sane you mean turn it off entirely. Hunger Is Dumb~

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Are there any quickly-accessible chests or other inventories in blightfall? Plain old double chests not stacking next to each other is one of those things that gives me fits :v:

(edit) New one apparently I can request a whole big reactor? Dang. Any reason not to do that right now?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 15, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh god, gold isn't considered a tech ore and therefore I can't request it in blightfall, it took me over an hour to find two ore and I used them both on casts without making my thaumometer :suicide:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Order some tools from the supplier. He'll send you golden picks (and other tools) and you can toss them in the smelter.

Is tools the one on the top right? It's still locked for me :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks for the effortposts Magres, a little more Thaumcraft knowledge is pretty great!

Also I decided to ask the supplier for random machines, and I got a SPAMR launcher and a dozen rockets. Uh :stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Okay seriously does the animal requisition ever actually give passive animals, I've gotten magma cubes, endermen, and witches named Spawn in addition to the blaze and villager yesterday :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Can you get greatwood from sapling requests or am I gonna have to (gasp, sigh) go exploring?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I can't find a loving greatwood, and it's only belatedly occurred to me that asking for saplings is never gonna give me one :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

RickVoid posted:

There's one on the southern coast, way the gently caress down from Alpha Dome.

Good luck!

Went for that one from the silverwood forest and got my poo poo completely owned by a tainted botanist, what the gently caress :stonk:

(edit) Found one in the forst though, near a bloom so it's not tainted :woop:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 15, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does anyone know what research silverwood wands is gated behind? I'm trying to beeline it as hard as I can because wandering the world to recharge wands is lame as hell, and I need to get to silverwood wand tech so I can make a sceptre so I can node-in-a-jar without infusion.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Alkydere posted:

That's exactly what he was trying to do, but he couldn't because he couldn't figure out what unlocked the research for silverwood wand cores. :v:

Yup! Thanks to all of you, making more progress now. Exploring still scares the crap out of me--I'm vulnerable to jump scares so sudden damage five minutes later from tainted goo that I forgot to drop literally makes me jump--but at least I'm getting closer to it being less fearsome :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Don't suppose there're any resource packs put together already for Blightfall are there? I can't be bothered to put a sphax pack together :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Killer, thanks!

Got my CV thing going. The messis node downgraded to pale, sadly, but hell, 4/tick of everything will still do the job. Never running out to charge wands again.

Now I can actually USE the shock focus :getin:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What's a good essentia distillation setup look like without golems? IIRC the alchemy core requires infusion and blarg I can't be bothered yet, but I don't remember how to make TC pipes not suck.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh yeah, Thaumic Energistics is in this huh. I suppose I should buckle down and start on AE before I get too far with this alchemical nonsense.

Still haven't found all the tech metals though, missing copper and platinum :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Just got my focal manipulator running. I'm not really interested in Frugal since I can just carry spare wands/vis batteries now thanks to CV, but I'm not sure whether I want potency, treasure, or enlarge at each level. Suggestions?

Suggestions for the spark focus while I'm at it?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Magres posted:

Never log off :v:

E: Where do you get potatoes? I have never seen potato seeds from requisitions and dunno which village to hit

I found a bunch in one of the upper fields in Redwood City, personally.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yaaayyyy, I made my first ethereal blooms :woop:

... god drat that's a lot of work :saddowns:

(edit) is there an ideal way to grow nether wart or is it "set them down on soul sand and wait X hours"?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 17, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well, going to the first ore "cache" and realizing a) it's a mineshaft and b) there's like one nickel/ferrous in there makes me sad. I'm out of invar and I can't make an induction smelter (and thereby take apart the ticon smeltery forever) without it. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there much rhyme or reason to where I can find TC shards? I'm chronically short on aer and ordo to make balanced shards and primal charms with.

Also, does the game give any hints on finding a skystone? It just kinda says "go find some and we'll give you presses" far as I can tell :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Magres posted:

In the config files there's an option for a Creative book that unlocks all research, letting you most of the cruft.

Gotta be fun dealing with warp effects in Blightfall, though. Can't just turn off Warp either, 'cos then you miss out on all the Eldritch stuff (which I still have never seen).

Question, where's glowstone in blightfall? I was working on a basic AE system because I'm tired as hell of chest sprawl (and I want to start thaumic energistics ASAP), and forgot you need glowstone for the panel for an ME terminal.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Taffer posted:

It's all over in the floating islands. I think you can get it sooner but I don't remember exactly where.

Ahh, I was wondering about those. Aesthetics compels me not to nerdpole buuuuut aesthetics also compels me to get rid of all these loving chests. Nerdpole it is!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

take a boat and sail around the underside of the floating island in the south sea

there will be a few glowstone blocks underneath that should be easy to spot on account of it being dark as all hell

then use the crucible recipe to dupe the glowstone

Where's this duping at in the thaumonomicon, somewhere under the Thaumium stuff (Magical Metallurgy in Alchemy)?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cool, thanks all.

Is there any way to remove focus upgrades or do I have to make a brand new focus? I took the one on my excavation focus that sometimes makes clusters, but that's a bit pointless now that I have a pulverizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I wasn't aware you get the bonus nuggets from clusters, I haven't gotten very many. Infernal Furnace was one of the first things I built after I got access to CV, along with three bellows, so I know how fast that fucker is :v:. It doesn't dupe things like quartz though, right, so I gotta keep the pulverizer around anyway I suppose.

Still need to redo that excavation focus though, Enlarge is neat but it kind of makes a goddamn mess, would be easier to just stack up Potency. Maybe I'll save it for if I ever get around to making an arcane bore.

(Does Treasure interact with Dowsing in any way? Like a chance of more clusters than usual, or anything?)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 17, 2015