Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone know if there's a way to get a psi program back out of a bullet and into program form to fiddle with, if I deleted it from the programmer to work on something else already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

http://i.imgur.com/x0aLFzL.gifv

i really like this mod

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sage Grimm posted:

I guess that's a better use out of them than the usual harvest their children for emeralds (Tinker's Construct) and sacrificial lambs (Blood Magic).

they slowly and agonizingly die without moving when release, sans soul, from their cage of bone

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

it's far far worse is what I'm saying here

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

a very disturbing part of Intangible

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just found out that the lava for your blue crystal liquid crap doesn't have to be a source block, it can be flowing lava

gently caress

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I also just found out (though this is more down to my own lack of reading comprehension) that throwing bones onto a soul gets you a soulbone, so i don't have to murder farm animals for those either

gently caress

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

trip report: you can't easily share curse modpacks

so just make one yourself, it's pretty easy

here's what's on mine

This convinced me to try the curse launcher for myself and now I'm kind of failing to see the point of using MultiMC anymore. Good software, didn't expect that from Curse.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Psi's Break/Place Block Sequence tricks are fun

Who needs TiCon or whatever else when you can mine vast swathes of cave in a few right clicks

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

herp de derr forums are being dumb again this post will fix it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just noticed that 1.8.9 has a Blood Magic update, too. God drat, lot of good mods coming out/getting updates.

Anyone know if Immersive Engineering is coming to 1.8.9? I've seen it at least mentioned in DW20's forgecraft series, is that sort of a beta test zone or something?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Are there two different kinds of growth ticks or something in this game? DW20 got a bunch of intangible blue crystals to grow fast by sticking a TC lamp of growth over them and hanging out with a blood magic sigil of the green grove. I decided to try using a PSI overgrowth spell on some of said crystals, and it does nothing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Makes sense, thanks.

I wish Extra Utilities would come out for 1.8.9 too, having lassos and redstone clocks would be lovely for working with Intangible. I can't see myself having any loving fun at all getting villagers from bumfuck nowhere back to my base.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is Botania even up to 1.8.9? I haven't checked :v:

I was more thinking the clock DW20 was using in the last couple videos, though, that seems to send out a redstone pulse multiple times a second, like rapidly flicking a lever. Seems the easiest way to make the blow mold and bellows from intangible work automatically, but the botania hourglass only does up to one per second.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I thought you couldn't learn to cure zombies until you'd sucked up a couple villagers already. Neat, looks like I need to read more closely.

Also lmao at a villager farm, I had no idea that was possible

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It is?! gently caress me I know literally nothing about vanilla minecraft :saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

God drat do I hate vanilla mob spawning mechanics. Trying to deal with making a mob spawner about 30 blocks out from where I hang out, and nothing's spawning in there, probably because of all the cave systems below where I set up shop that I'm going to have to go light up to prevent spawns and who knows how many I'll miss because I haven't dug to them

Oh and there's a crevasse under the spawner, just remembered that too

Argh

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wish I could; Extra Utilities isn't on 1.8.9 publicly yet :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I prefer skyblocks as a rule so I'll definitely be checking that pack. Didn't even realize there was a 1.8 version of Botania; thanks for putting it together!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The only part of skyblocks I hate (garden of glass included) is the initial 'sit here for 30 minutes to get wood/cobble' bit so I intend to skip that via JEI cheating :v:

I wonder if you can change the GoG map to have a bonus cheat of a stack of cobble or whatever at mapgen.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

I usually just install Storage Drawers, enable cheats on the map, and give myself a creative vending drawer for cobble. (Or I did in 1.7, anyways. Dunno if 1.8 StorageDrawers has it.)

Cobblestone in GoG is "aim at the ground, hold right click, contemplate suicide" and you can get an honest cobblegen setup pretty fast, so I don't mind cheating past the very early game and deleting the vending drawer afterwards, especially considering how much you NEED a mob tower in GoG right away.

Good idea too, thanks. Speaking of creative, does anyone else get annoyed as gently caress building mob towers and just /gamemode c for flight then delete the cobble/whatever afterward, or is that just me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

A million times over. Ex Nihilo is cool for a lot of things but the early attempts to set up a cobble generator absolutely suck. I mean they're not terrible the very first time but now that 90% of skyblocks use Ex Nihilo you have to go through the sapling/silkworm/compost/sifting thing EVERY TIME.

yeah again I intend to cheat my way past that step if I ever play an Ex Nihilo block again because gently caress that for a bag of chips

Serifina posted:

I don't, but this is also part of why I included Similsax Transtructors. Look into them, they've very, very handy for building some of the more annoying bits. Combined with a Thaumcraft Builder Wand Foci, and you can build a lot of things while barely having to move.

I had no idea what that mod was and after goofing up typing the name into JEI once I stopped caring :v: That's pretty cool, though, now that I know.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Been a long time since I've crafted mines. Is there a new hotness since 1.7 in kitchen sink packs, preferably without so much of the combat? Your Gardens of Glass, your Agrarian Skies, what have you.

I remember really liking Garden of Glass in theory but being too stupid with redstone mechanics in practice :shobon:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm probably gonna need the guidance of a quest book at this point to be honest, it's been so long :v: Still, thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah usually code releases are sets of separate integers rather than a single decimal, so 1.10.1 > 1.10 > 1.9

'Course then you got jerks like Blizzard who insist version 2.45 < 2.5 to confuse the whole damned thing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Back in the 1.7 days I loved playing modded skyblocks with a heavy focus at first on guiding you to automating resource generation, after which the world of mods was your oyster (with greater or lesser ingame guides for each). Those are still a thing, right? I've kinda been itching for something like that again lately.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Black Pants posted:

The aforementioned Enigmatica 2 Expert Skyblock has Sky Resources 2 which is a very automatable (after some outlay that might be overwhelming and offputting if you're not used to it) skyblock resource production mod, and getting yourself set up with the ability to generate as much resources as you might want right off the bat is how E2E:S works. The pack also includes the familiar Ex Nihilo but sieving is gated behind midgame stuff, so you can just use things like the barrels and hammers to start with.

Sky Resources 2 will take a bit to wrap your head around, but what you'll need to do before anything else is get some sort of rudimentary mob farm/grinder going on because the heart of everything you'll make is gunpowder, and you'll want a lot of it - anything else is just gravy. There's also a guide (which is bound to G by default) which more-or-less explains everything. And don't worry about % number math on things, just accept that 'higher number better.'

Also to note: gunpowder is turned into blaze powder by the first multiblock thing you make (the combustion chamber), and 4 blaze powder makes a blaze powder block. If you place that down somewhere and put a torch underneath it, it'll eventually turn into lava. That's how you'll be able to make a cobblegen. Just mentioning that because someone upthread was confused about that recently.

Cool, I was right about to ask about Enigmatica after doing a quick recent-posts trawl. Now to go figure out the launcher/ecosystem/account situation again, including but not limited to my drat minecraft account :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh my god does ic2 still loving seriously exist :cripes:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Black Pants posted:

For what it's worth, you only need to make like 4 IC2 machines and a few circuit things and then you can get into Mekanism and forget IC2 exists again.

Can I apply this to TiCon too? Even years later I'm STILL somehow burned out on that drat mod; I've only had to make cheap and cheerful wood tools so far though (just got cobblegen going).

If I have to build another drat smeltery...

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 21, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What sorts of automation are available to me at the point where I'm just starting to make iron ingots and such in Enigmatica? It's been too long and I'm not too familiar with vanilla or most of the component mods anymore.

Most I can think of is item droppers for the combustion heater or something but i can't make redstone yet i don't think :( correction: YET

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 22, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

hell, that's not a bad idea. gotta be better than scrubbing through someone's youtube series for scraps of tips.

i guess the first thing I need to do is automate mob murder and figure out how to transport drops. I've never been good at that sort of thing in MC though, I have to look up how to make a vanilla dropper every time. :saddowns:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 22, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've got stone spikes from EU2 so maybe I'll go into creativecobblejack for a while and make a water dropper tower? or are there any power-free mob-movers i'd have access to by now?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Are Vector Plates in the pack?

Looks like it, but I don't have access to sugar yet, looks like. Can reeds just spawn outside of world gen?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm kinda thinking the same thing, I like the idea i suppose but good lord this alchemizing for ore stuff is getting old in a right hurry

Thinkin I might try FTB Sky Factory or something like that instead

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Black Pants posted:

..what?

Hopper -> alchemy table -> hopper -> crucible dropper. Alchemy tables only automatically accept whatever items were last put in manually, so a single slot will be filled with a stack of glass, and the output - crystal shards - will automatically be dropped into the second hopper to go to where they need to go to be melted.

How.. were you creating crystal fluid???

Also, maybe it's because of my experience with it but I can't imagine how SR2 could be considered tedious in comparison to hammering hundreds of stone and then shoving it through sieves for hours and then combining the chunks. Okay, I admit, dealing with the basic combustion chamber and the first level of alchemical dust sucks. I guess I should've done a writeup on getting past that lovely first stage as quickly as possible. I still can if anyone cares?

I also find the other part of what Wolpertinger said funny because non-skyblocks are now kinda unnecessary busywork for me, what with having to keep mobs out and go hunting for the materials you need and all rather than just making them next to where you are doing your crafting, ehe.

I think I'm just getting past that point in E2E skyblock--made my first T2 alchemy ingredient last night--but I'd still read that effortpost if you wrote it. That youtube series I mentioned jumped straight to T3 but I rather lost the guy's thread of progression since he cuts so much.

It occurred to me late last night that now that my mob farm is a dropper I can move all of my stuff closer to it if I want rather than schlepping my dumbass back and forth 50 blocks. Does this modpack have anything for moving/carrying chests?

(e) by the way, I know it's a taste / RAM thing, but any well recommended resource packs nowadays?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 22, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

All that said I think what I originally wanted was to mess with one mod at a time rather than all this integrated jumping back and forth that Enigmatica expects. I gather that's the challenge part, now, just didn't realize what that really meant 2 days ago. I also wish TiCon weren't required for making babby's first iron gears (I was hoping to use IE's Metal Press but that appears to be jumping the gun).

I do like Sky Resources over Ex Nihilo though, at least past that initial hump.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, I like SR2 more than ExN overall--just not so much the pack it's in, I think.

Do material properties of things like ardite, cobalt, manyullyn or whatever, etc even matter if I intend to ignore TiCon as much as humanly possible? I'd as soon not even build the drat smelter if I can.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does SevTech Ages have much in the way of unified/expandable inventory storage early on, or is it all shifted to much later in the pack's progression?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oof. I'd like to try SevTech if only to have a guided romp through some modern mods, but wow, no vanilla chests even until age 2? Is that a terribly long ways in? My only context is side-eyeing some Yogscast videos and, well, nuff said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glad I asked then; I'd gotten the impression somehow that SevTech was rather more guided than that. I can find my way around mods given time and a spotlight video, though, so it might still be fun.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 30, 2019