Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

My intro to minecraft modding has been Agrarian Skies 1 and I'm loving it so far. However, I also saw just how extensive the endgame gets and I'm wondering if I should bail now before I invest any more time in it. I read that it gets very grindy later on but what primarily puts me off is just how cluttered and overwhelming it is. For example, hunger becomes irrelevant with a simple mob spawner, a carrot, and one block of dirt (bones > bonemeal > carrot > carrot juice), so why include what looks like hundreds of different foods and recipes? The inclusion of bee breeding and magic wands and whatever seems like the author is trying to cram and showcase as many mods as possible. I guess what I'm looking for is something similar but more "thematically consistent" and something that doesn't feel like a random collection of minecraft mods. Is AS2 any better? I don't know anything else about other mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are you guys doing default world generation?

Well I guess there's my Baby's First Space Race pack, although it sounds like now you might have to put up with some strange terraingen bugs (consider using the ATG setting for world type).

For AS1, I'd skip bees because the mechanic for them does not apply anywhere else. They're much more tedious anywhere else. All the different food does have some value if you move on to another challenge mod pack that requires you maintain a diverse diet. Knowing how to arrange some of the more elaborate meals is smart. Specifically, dabble in dairy stuff, making pasta, and the tofu. Figure out how to automate that just because. For everything else, if you're playing single-player, I wouldn't try to do the high-production challenges.

I should've specified that I'm only interested in single player. Did you mean that the different foods have value in other packs and not in AS1? I'll likely only have time to get involved with one minecraft mod.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

How do I set molten fluid filters on Pneumo Servo attached to a fluiduct? I tried left/right/middle clicking the blank space and dragging stuff from NEI but the only thing that I got to happen was burning myself when I right-clicked some cheated molten gold I was carrying.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Agrarian Skies 1, anyone know why my smeltery does this? It's an automatically fed set-up if that makes a difference.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there any mod that replicates the functions of this website in-game? http://crafting-guide.com/craft/digital_miner

My least favorite part of minecraft by far is running around collecting ingredients then running back because you're short one redstone or some poo poo.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

When filling a reactor with a coolant that flows, do you need to place a source block in every empty space or is the top sufficient?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there a way to figure out the sweet spot for MFR farm machine range given how long they take to check each square? An emerald range upgrade is huge but takes like 3 minutes to check its space. I suppose you could pair an emerald harvester with an emerald planter but that seems incredibly efficient because I don't suppose the machines will sync up their block update search. Should we just stick to Lapis upgrades for the most part? When are bigger ranges useful?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'm so confused by ME interfaces. If I want to set up external autocrafting (e.g. redstone furnace), does the ME interface need to touch the furnace or can I use pipes? I couldn't figure out how to do the latter but maybe I'm doing something wrong. Also, what exactly do all the arrow options do when you wrench an ME interface?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

senae posted:

The way interfaces work (unless there's been a massive change recently), it will export whatever items to the attached inventory, and then the ME system will trust that eventually it will get the result placed back into the system somewhere. all it really does is export a recipe. If you're using it for, like, making a bunch of smoothstone, you can speed it up by exporting to a chest, and then using 1 set of ducts to round robin them into a bunch of furnaces, and another set to export them back out the the interface (or into a chest with an import bus attached, but that's wasting a channel). You can also export directly to a machine (good for things that don't get done in bulk, or need to be processed right now), then just use an itemduct to move the product back into the interface.

An interface will take any item piped into it and put it back into the system.

Thank you for this great explanation! Let's say I'm coupling an ME Interface block with a redstone furnace, do I need to set an input side for the furnace? To get the finished product, I can't just export it directly to an ME interface but I need at least an import bus or some itemducts right? (pipes seem cheaper).

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Dragomorph posted:

Does anybody know a good modpack for someone who just wants to creative mode play with a bunch of ersatz legos? I've been playing Blightfall and having a blast, and I got Baby's First Space Race because all this technical stuff I need to finish Blightfall goes over my head sometimes, but I wouldn't mind a pack that lets me not arse with fifty billion complicated machines that require me to know the intricacies of binary or whatever to actually get them to work, and just lets me build pretty pretty houses.

I basically treat most modpacks as creative mode using the /give command to skip over the tedious stuff. I find it far more fun to design elaborate systems and production chains than sieve dirt or wait for trees to grow. One thing I would highly recommend even as a relative beginner is to learn how the Applied Energetics mod works before anything else because it's a lovely quality of life improvement to the basic minecraft interface. The basic idea behind it is that it's a computer system which allows you to store stuff "digitally". This functionally acts as one giant chest you can shove anything into and with a little more set-up you can also set up crafting recipes. Having a consolidated inventory is a loving godsend with the billions of items each mod adds, and an autocrafting set-up essentially replicates the utility of this website in that it will craft anything you want and also tell you which pieces are missing. Any time I start a new modpack I cheat my way to get an ME network set up with a multi-block crafting CPU because gently caress doing it any other way.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What's the best way to feed some autonomous activator sieving set-up in a drip-drip rhythmn from an AE network so that each machine only gets as much as they use? I blocked off 8-grids with one cobblestone to block any other items from entering, and maintaining a buffer of 64 items is fine by me. The problem I encounter is that the ME Interface I have set up spits out way too many items and the item ducts end up FULL of blocks going back and forth because they don't have a destination. What I'm guessing is happening is that the ME interface is checking for a free slot, outputting an item, checking for a free slot again while the item is in transit, outputting another item, etc. Is there an elegant solution?

Edit: oh, I didn't think about using an export bus for each sieving station. I guess that works but is the best option?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

SugarAddict posted:

Put "keep this amount" in an interface, then having retrievers grab what they want?

Meskhenet posted:

Why would you export out to item ducts? You may as well export out to a chest and then have a servo on the chest dealing with the item ducts. You could use a mini chest that only accepts 1 stack for that.

For me, if i had the AE storage up, i would be using cable to machines not itemduct.

I'm going through Agrarian Skies 1 so I didn't have either retrievers or mini-chests, but both of those would've been good ideas. AE > machine seems the best bet and I don't have to worry about channels on this version.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there a typical culprit for slow game events updating? Examples of what I'm talking about is mining a block and the game not recognizing that the block was just mined, levers slow to respond, gui (such as ae crafting interface, trash, machines, etc) takes a while to come up. I have a relatively small base in Agrarian Skies 1 with most things built out horizontally (so no MFR machines in the same chunk stacked on top of each other) but the game already CRAWWWLS with updating game events (FPS is totally fine). My system is rather powerful and I have 64-bit java and 4gb of ram allocated to it.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Krakatoah posted:

Any ideas what I could do for an endoflame feeding tree farm setup on Blightfall? I've done one before but it was a sorta-messy system with about four different golems and a handful of automagi stuff...all because I REALLY did not want to spend any RF Power. I'm wondering if it's possible to create a positive power loop using the Mana to RF block from Botania and routing excess mana to that block.

Tree farm > infernal furnace for free charcoal > open crate > endoflames > mana > RF

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718099&pagenumber=74&perpage=40#post449234518

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I know that AE2 has an 8 devices maximum per channel, but does AE1 have a similar limit across the entire network?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Re: Agrarian Skies 1

I want to make a cobalt shovel with two modifiers, flux and hammered. I can make a cobalt shovel with a thaumic tool rod for the +1 modifier but if I level it up, won't AS1 apply a random upgrade automatically? I've also tried a cobalt pick with paper binding and thaumic rod for the +2 modifiers but that thing is super slow.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there a way on NEI to see all recipes that a given device can do? For example everything you can use a magma crucible for.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there an HQM or a similarly bread-crumby progression modpack for terrafirmacraft? I love the concept but I can't be arsed to constantly alt-tab with a wiki

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

When actively cooled reactors say they turn "water (coolant)" into steam, this is a separate "coolant" than what you put in the empty spaces within the reactor right? Does an actively cooled reactor have to use water as a flowing coolant or can you use something else? Otherwise I don't see why the inefficiency gains would ever be worth it. The terminology is really confusing.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Ok that makes a lot of sense. So basically there's the "outside coolant" that you see and place, and then another completely separate internal invisible tank of water and steam (and ONLY water it seems) that you use for spinning turbines. Right?

I want to build the turbine right against my reactor so that the coolant ports are right against each other. How would you "seed" the system with water at first?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Assuming everything else is the same, does the size of a big reactor turbine matter?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

TheresaJayne posted:

Amount of steam, Number of blades, and Number and type of coil blocks all make a difference. in Rotation speed and 900 / 1800 is the ideal speeds for a turbine.

80 blades 32 Ludicrite coil blocks and 2000mb/t steam put the rotation at just under 1800 rpm but within the green zone and produce 25k RF/t - and can be powered with a 7x7x3 reactor at 75% cores (3x3 core in the middle with liquid ender) for a total of 0.02mb/t of yellorium

My bad, what I meant was the shape of the turbine given the same number of blades/steam/coils/etc. I found out that the shape and dimensions don't matter except with regard to building costs: http://ftbwiki.org/Big_Reactors/Highest_Power_Data#Optimal_Unattended_Enderium_Designs

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there an easy way of viewing/unlocking all the HQM quests in a given modpack? I like to know what's ahead so I can plan out my building. I searched and saw that many of the packs are locked to the modpack author only, and I didn't see any finished out-of-game hqm editors.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

/hqm edit will spawn a cheat book in your inventory that you can use to mark quests as completed. That's bound to your user data in your save so that's permanent for that game. You will probably want to run that from another save.

Oh jesus that's simple, thanks!

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Do I miss out on anything crucial if I choose to just manually install modpacks using MultiMC? I can't handle this proliferation of launchers, especially with Curse where it feels like I bought a house in order to acquire a chair.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

If you're installing modpacks manually, how do you figure out which Forge version to use if the author doesn't mention it?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What are some good video/tutorials on AE2 autocrafting set-ups that are either geared towards mass production or look really pretty?

I really liked this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI9cOmIZ_jM

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I basically want Agrarian Skies 1 but for 1.7.10+ and with a tighter focus. What's a recommendation? My favorite parts of that mod by far were focusing on only a handful of different mods and using them to complete quests (E.g. Using MFR harvesters and AE1 autocrafting from materials made with TiCon smelteries to make food for quests. Or combining TiCon high ovens with TE machines and AE1 level emitters to keep materials in stock.)

Agrarian Skies 2 seems to have taken the opposite approach and thrown in a ton of different mods that tend to overlap significantly with each other. There's like dozens of power generation and storage options with no discernible distinction. I tend to get overwhelmed and lose interest if a modpack requires you to lightly dip your toes in multiple different pools. This is particularly so for incredibly versatile and powerful mods like Thaumcraft and Botania, where their documentation kind of throw a wall of information your way as soon as you crack open their book and you generally have no idea what you can safely ignore.

Examples of mods I hold in high regard are Thermal Expansion, MFR, Big Reactors, and AE not necessarily because they're tech but because they all are designed a core and thematically coherent purpose. Even when the mods stray outside of their turf, the oddball features still make sense in context and therefore are easy to learn and understand.

TL:DR: I want either a deep dive into a handful of core mods, or a way for me to be able to ignore options if too many are presented.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

TheresaJayne posted:

Here is a question, is there any way to determine the difficulty of crafting for any block?

Say i want to find the total cost of making say an Atomic Disintegrator (programatically)

Is there a way to determine the recipe for all the parts all the way back to the default items - Diamonds, Redstone etc to determine the Actual Cost of that item?

http://crafting-guide.com/craft/atomic_disassembler

This site really should be in the op. Playing without this or AE autocrafting loving sucks.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

eggyolk posted:

Can anyone shed some light on getting shaders working with this game? Every link says you need some other link to run the next link and everything seems shady as hell. Did all of you just download everything that came onto your desktop and install it willynilly before shaders ran? It seems way worse than Skyrim modding.

e: Several links have been accessible only through disabling adblock, only to download some "installnow.exe" poo poo that is coated in red flags. This can't be right.

All you need for shaders is:

1. Shaders mod: http://shadersmod.net/downloads/
2. A shader which goes in your 'shaderspack' folder (sample list: http://shadersmod.net/shaderspacks/)

You can safely download from that list and throw everything in the 'shaderspack' folder and switch between them in game. Some are more suited for screenshots than gameplay.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Although I sympathize with how lovely most minecraft download links are, especially the ones that use AdFly. You have to pay extra attention that you click on the "right" DOWNLOAD READY button. I can't imagine how kids navigate this lovely malware minefield.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What's the opposite of a kitchen sink modpack? I loved Agrarian Skies 1 back in the day, but only when I cheated and skipped over bee breeding and similar. My favorite part was making an efficient set-up from scratch and mass-producing lettuce. I was stoked on Blightfall because it was very thematically consistent but I got very frustrated at the point where I had to run around on my boat eeking out bits of essence for my wand. Is there a quest modpack with either TFC or Immersive Engineering or something similarly "low-key"? I don't want modpacks that include mods just for the hell of it.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Krakatoah posted:

Did you try making a wand with a Tainted rod core? It slowly recharges in tainted lands and taking taint-related damage also charges it up a bit... since you're pretty much in one giant tainted biome it's rather powerful for the early game.

Nope! It's way too easy to fall into this trap when a giant modpack includes several different paths to the same goal and doesn't provide any real guidance.

Black Pants posted:

There's TechNodeFirmaCraft EZ I mentioned recently
I looked through your posts in this thread and couldn't find this when I ctrl+f

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Ok I think I figured out what I want in a modpack: limited to no overlap. Basically what I find frustrating about most modpacks is they give you a million different ways to accomplish tasks (e.g. power generation) but unless they balance it properly only a handful of the methods are actually sane/feasible so you end up with this ridiculous grabbag of crafting recipes and about 95% are useless or too tedious for normal people. I might jump back into Blightfall after some of the strategy recs in this thread but curious what else is out there. How have people liked Farming Valley for example?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Dropbox has been acting strange lately but the link should still work from Technic. If not, you can try it directly here.

I'm totally loving this pack, it's exactly what I was looking for.

Curious if I'm doing anything wrong with my bloomery; the wiki says you can expand it up two layers but it doesn't seem to accept more than 16 despite the height (the rest "float" above the coal block):

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Throw the charcoal and ore in together as items; they should be consumed and turn into blocks.

Thanks, I feel dumb because I figured it out a minute after making the post.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

This cinematic infinity evolved skyblock timelapse kind of blew my mind and made me question why I waste my life playing this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feo8ik0EwkY

It's 500 hours of gameplay sped up to an hour of footage.

(I'm still going to play obviously)

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

The video said it took them 510 hours to make, but maybe that involves editing the video. I think each day/night cycle is 40 minutes in real time, right? My rough estimate is that each cycle is about 8 seconds which means an hour passes every 12 seconds. Across an hour, that translates into ~300 gameplay hours sped up to an hour.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Ash Rose posted:

Mostly for folks like me who don't know all the tech mods and the changes the pack makes to them, I have little idea how much space anything is going to take up and rebuilding is a pain in skymaps.

I think this is my biggest hangups about skyblocks (and really most mods). I can't realistically plan ahead because I have no idea how much space I'm going to need. I end up looking for youtube Let's Plays and just pausing through their final episode to see what I'm going to need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Because Minecraft uses what appears to be a generic java application, my time tracking software thinks I'm a professional developer :thumbsup: