Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

BlueOccamy posted:

In AgSkies 2 is there any way to automatically pick up items off the ground? Vacuum hoppers seem to be disabled this time around.

Botania hopperhocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Reason posted:

When I see an error like this:

What does it mean?
Usually it means that a mod contains an outdated version of the Buildcraft library that got loaded before the more recent one, breaking other mods that rely on having a more recent version.

Best solution is to find out what mod you added that caused it and make sure you have the most recent version, but there's clumsier solutions else.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Mr Scumbag posted:

How far out are we from large 1.8 modpacks?
Most major mods will probably never come out for 1.8. Ask again when 1.9 is out.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

man i wish iguana tweaks wasn't so insanely imbalanced for progression because it has so many other useful features
Every part of it is configurable.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I never heard of this mod and went to look it up because all the machines in your screenshot look like they came from other mods. Holy poo poo, compact machines lets you cram all of that into one block? Does that damage performance at all?
No idea how handling the extra dimension is for the server, but not having the machinery in your actual base helps render performance a lot.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Did I read it right that they have their own chunk loader?
Settings lets you choose between always chunk loaded or loaded when the exterior is.

quote:

The only problem I had with them was a big between pocket dimensions and compact machines. If I had a compact machine inside a pocket dimension, upon return from the machine, I would fall through the floor of the pocket dimension and die, losing all my stuff.
That was fixed recently - it was caused by both Random Things and Compact Machines using super generic NBT values to store the return location so they overwrote eachother.

Mzbundifund posted:

Just be aware that breaking the machine destroys the interior dimension, unless you put a nether star into them, which lets them be mined up and placed again. I haven't tried to move them using dollys, transposers, or other such shenanigans.
Fortunately you can change the nether star to a more reasonable item

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i've got an epic crash log here... please help me out

http://pastebin.com/QvXQgr5u

i swapped to the newest release versions of all the cofh stuff and now i'm crashin
what do i do
Update ProjectRed if you have it

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

What specific runtime strings would you recommend? I've tried several different ones and they had a negligible effect on performance. I can get used to 1.7 as long as I don't boot up any 1.6 packs for a few days, but if I dip back into 1.6 to play my old Agrarian Skies 1 map or something it's staggering how much worse 1.7 runs across the board.

The FPS counter will tell me it's running at a stable 150 in 1.7, but it's a stuttery mess any time I look around or move. It's a mess I can get used to and convince myself isn't a problem after a few hours, but it's not even remotely close to the wonderfully fluid 144 fps I got in every single 1.6 modpack. I have a GTX 970 and an i5-4690k, so it's not a system requirements issue.
Stuttering messes are usually memory related, with a beefy system are you maybe giving it too much memory? On a typical modpack 2GB is plenty. edit: 2GB for a typical HQM pack, 3GB for most kitchensink packs and 4GB if you're trying to run every mod ever

Most JVM flags people recommend don't actually do anything, especially on Java 8, but try this:
code:
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+AggressiveOpts
Also as mentioned make sure to use either Fastcraft or CoFHTweaks. 1.7 should be smooth as butter on a system like yours except when there's badly behaved mods involved.

edit: dug out the correct flags for Java 8

Threep fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 30, 2015

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Thanks for the advice - I'm running the OMP-i pack at 4GB, which has fastcraft installed. I tried the arguments and bumped it down to 3GB, but they didn't make much of a difference. As for the FPS, that's the thing that's so weird about it - my FPS is really high according to the game, like 150+ high, but it's not smooth at all. When I cap it at something lower like 60 FPS it looks like it's running at 15 even though Minecraft insists it's a stable 60. I might try disabling packs one at a time, but it's been this way with every single modpack I've tried in 1.7.

It's playable if I leave the framerate uncapped because 150 FPS looks and feels like 30-45 FPS with some micro-stuttering, but I can't help but feel like something is really broken on my end if 60 FPS looks like 15.
Minecraft's frame limiting is very broken, don't use it.

If you're playing single player you could try using something like Admin Commands to force full generation of the immediate area and see if it's worldgen giving you trouble.

Khorne posted:

I like journeymap's functionality, but until that is fixed I just remove it from any pack that has it as soon as I find somewhere I want to build a base at. It might just have a bad interaction with one of the more popular mods, but it has happened to me in a ton of different mod packs. For whatever reason it just goes nuts and dominates my cpu.
There's a beta Journeymap that's supposed to be much more optimized.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

If two recipes have the same output, is there a way to force one or the other? In OMP-i, both copper pipes and temperate fluiducts have the same recipe.
Use a recipe changing tool (mainly MineTweaker) to change one of the recipes.

http://minetweaker3.powerofbytes.com/wiki/Tutorial:Basic_Recipes

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

GotLag posted:

Is there a way to get SSP to not pause when tabbed out?
F3+P

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Taffer posted:

For the new Windows 10 one? Didn't they say it had no plans for mod support?
Think he means this

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Carados posted:

http://pastebin.com/2dqwVEbT

The message it gives me is "server closed" before going to main menu for a frame or two then just closing back to launcher.
What version of Applied Energistics 2 is in that modpack? If it's an old one that's the problem

Reading crashlogs for beginners:

pre:
java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
        at java.util.TreeMap$PrivateEntryIterator.nextEntry(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.TreeMap$ValueIterator.next(Unknown Source)
        at appeng.util.item.MeanfulIterator.hasNext(MeanfulIterator.java:22)
That's the first appearance of a mod name in the crash log, so it's likely (but not guaranteed) that it's in that mod. So we google that line and end up here which says it's the same issue as this which claims to be fixed somewhere around October of last year. So any newer version of AE2 should fix the issue.

Threep fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 1, 2015

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

SHOULD BE NOTED THAT REVERSING THE ENCHANTMENT IS A BIT TRICKIER AS IT IS NOT TRULY THE LAND THAT IS TAINTED BUT THE AURA OF THE LAND ITSELF

ONE MUST APPLY THE NECESS

It was obvious which letters were "the" and then "enchantment" was the only word that fit in there which made the rest easy

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

If you're okay with adding mods to Blightfall, AE2Stuff has an inscriber that is much less annoying to use, a crystal growth chamber that you can use instead of water crafting and in the alpha version, a wireless ME connector for use over short distances and this crazy visualization aid:

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Your Lottery posted:

I was trying to organize my blightfall inventory using Storage Drawers but am unable to move the drawers with a JABBA dolly, despite both JABBA and Storage Drawers saying it should be possible. Is this explicitly turned off or something?
It's a really old version of Jabba, over a year old. Storage Drawers support was added in the very next version.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

I'm not good with Thaumcraft, how do you get Perfodio for the Pickaxe of the Core in Blightfall?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Angmallen sucks.

I think it mixes the enchantability of gold with the strength of iron, which I doubt you care about. I think you can also make coins with it and stretch gold as a consequence--if you're playing on a server that does that kind of thing--which I doubt you care about. Failing that, it generally just serves as a way to piss you off and make your YouTube followers laugh at you, which I again doubt you care about.
Make rails, turn your stupid useless angmallen into useful Iter or Motus. I made a bunch of it by accident in Blightfall and that way I don't have to look at it.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

minecraftmodding.txt:

quote:

I was mucking with a crafting station from Better Storage, it blew up after I clicked the inventory settings button creating a 10-15 block radius hole in my base, some text came up saying 'Happy Belated April Fools' or some crap like that. It took out my AE2 storage, lost pretty much everything from 6 months of resource collection, my CPU, most of my Capacitor bank and the top of a big Reactor. I was forced to reload a backup and lost the best part of an hours gameplay. I'm just lucky I wasn't doing a major build and had a recent backup. NOT funny at all! So Byebye BetterStorage. You won't pull that poo poo on me again.

It looks like Better Storage's terrible April's Fools joke shows a button on the crafting station that sends an event to the station, and in a bit of author laziness the station reacts to any event sent to it the same way even if it was from another mod's button.

The hilarious joke is supposed to be that the explosion that happens is only client side so nothing bad will actually happen. I'm guessing they forgot to test what happens if you're not on a server or something.

It was previously reported in May and this is the author's reaction:

quote:

Hahaha! I didn't know inventory tweaks buttons sent events to the current container when clicked. That's hilarious.
And then insistence that it's up to Inventory Tweaks to fix it.

Since the mod is open source you can look at the bug not being fixed right here

Blightfall dudes, you might want to remove the crafting station's recipe in case anyone's dumb enough to use it.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Humans Among Us posted:

Botania looks tubular but i've never done it before... Is there a book you can craft to get started or something?
If you're on Blightfall you have to find the book + translation device or get most of the flowers to get one free.

If you're playing the mod normally it's the Lexica Botania.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

What mod is this, because I want to toss it into certain other blighty modpacks.
AE2Stuff

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Glory of Arioch posted:

i gave this a shot:

http://gfycat.com/PointlessBruisedHectorsdolphin

it generates mana so effectively that a gaia spreader cannot keep up

gonna try it again with a potency lens

e: trip report, potency lens increased the total yield by about 50% but it was still filling up the flower's internal buffer :v:
Vazkii said that the numbers aren't balanced at all, she's waiting to see what patterns people come up with before giving it a tuning pass.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

You don't need the book to reassemble stuff. I think you do need it to automate it though.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am basically waiting for Shukaro's quest mode to mow my lawn, give everybody a pony, and deliver a quest system that does not make me want to kill myself (pick one of three).
In the meantime, I saw this HQM addon and immediately thought of your woes.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

TheresaJayne posted:

I can get the source of HQM
https://github.com/lorddusk/HQM

edit: grep says 166 comments, most of them commented out code

Threep fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 12, 2015

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Khorne posted:

BC was changing their API in a dumb way that messed with other mods and always kind of annoyed with TE. TE just made RF. People thought it was yet another power standard, with UE and IC2 stuff existing at the time in addition to BC.

RF replaced everything shortly after because it wasn't governed by stupid drama/ego and poor code. Although I guess IC2 is still a thing that exists even though the last time I played with it was in 1.5.x.

To put it in perspective, BC has used the RF api internally for over a year now.
And the current lead on BC recently wrote this blog post:

asie posted:

I think that now, after ten months of fluxing, it is time to say that in hindsight moving to RF was a terrible decision
http://blog.asie.pl/a-tale-of-joules.html

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Botania's open source so there's a version for people who don't agree with all of Vazkii's choices

Seems pretty dumb to use his own version numbering scheme though.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Mr Scumbag posted:

Is there any way to pump water from tanks and into the world? Say I have a tank of water, and I've dug out a nice lake somewhere and don't want to have to fill it with buckets, is there a way to let the water flow into the space from a tank?
Depends on what mods you have but Buildcraft's Flood Gate and Mekanism's Fluidic Plenisher are two options

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Speaking of that, did anybody make an AE2 addon for a more robust inscriber press? I am wondering if I have to explain how to set up the five inscribers you need for on-demand processors, or if there's a new toy. I know there's a single-block crystal growth accelerator. As a side activity, I might set up a quest to do it the old-fashioned, clunky way, just so they know what's up with formation and annihilation planes.
AE2 Stuff has the single block accelerator you speak of, but also has an Advanced Inscriber that is much easier to automate, that I always Minetweak to replace the regular one.

quote:

Does anybody know a way to have the default terrain generator be ATG when creating a new world?
Default World Generator

On that note, someone picked up the abandoned but interesting ATG alternative RWG, it's now being updated here.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

I do have one last question though. Back when I was having all the server crash issues, I had to get Akliz support involved to help out with the problem. One of the things they did was update Forge, and ended up getting rid of the Craftbukkit.jar file and installing a KCauldron.jar file. Currently, the server is running smoothly on the Forge 10.3.4.1517.jar file. Could we switch over to the KCauldron.jar file with no issues and run Bukkit plugins that way, or is there something else we would need to do?
You can't install vanilla Bukkit and Forge on the same installation, Cauldron is specifically a project to make Forge mods work on a Bukkit server so yes it's what you want.

Thanks to Minecraft drama it's in legal limbo but get a 1517 version here.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Taffer posted:

They both do the same thing one is just infinitely more spergy by requiring you to assemble a computer by all the parts and everything is more expensive and annoying to do.
OC makes up for the initial hassle by having a lot more features and flexibility. But yeah, it's annoying to actually craft anything in it with the default recipes.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

McFrugal posted:

The algorithm being used must be the worst loving piece of poo poo possible for it to take 30 goddamn minutes.
Don't think there's anything wrong with the algorithm. To do what bigperm said it does, it would have to generate a large number of chunks in every biome, which could easily take that long.

The problem here is the author not stopping at the point where he realised it would take that long and finding a different solution entirely.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

McFrugal posted:

Couldn't you just... get the data directly from whatever's doing oregen? Like, ask it what the percentages are for each ore, for each biome.
It's Minecraft we're talking about, every mod implements oregen separately. Unless they're using COFH, in which case he probably could query the values, but only for the mods using COFH.

Last I saw RFTools just had a giant config file where you can specify what each ore is worth, with defaults for all the popular mod ores. Less elegant, far less annoying to deal with, and if someone changes the oregen enough to make a big difference they can also change how much it's worth in a dimension while they're editing files anyway.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Goncyn posted:

Last time I was messing around with starting a new world, I was using a command that would dump counts of each type of ore to chat, so you could easily test (for example) cofh custom ore generation configs. Now, I can't remember what command that was or where I found out about it. It apparently wasn't any of the commands built into cofh-core. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

:(
/oredistribution from BDLib

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Goncyn posted:

- set up all your barrels with storage buses and connect them to a separate network totally disconnected from your main network (this will require its own controller if you have more than 7 barrels)
Instead of adding a controller, just chain subnetworks the same way, one subnetwork per 6 barrels.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

The openblocks graves backup your inventory to a file, so if they bug out you (or a server admin) can restore your inventory.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

AFAIK you need a chunk loader. I distinctly remember all the little programs I wrote going to hell when I walked away from them. IIRC it will launch startup in the root by default when the chunk is reloaded. So you can have it start your script up in there. For maximum robustness, you'd want to make the script something like a loop whose state is saved early and often, and it just works off of that state. So that way, it can resume in the middle of some complex calculation without much harm. I did not try it too much, but if you can run your stuff as coroutines, and just raw serialize all that state to disk, you'll probably be safe without having to really declare special data structures.
This by the way was the main thing OpenComputers was built to fix.

quote:

Persistence
When OpenComputers leave the loaded Chunk area, they will be put on hold, but automatically resume at the exact point they were stopped once the Chunk is reloaded later. This makes OpenComputers very intuitive to use in the Minecraft environment, as you do not have to worry about chunk loading or resuming and do not need to add chunk loaders from other mods just to keep those computers running.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Kraven Moorhed posted:

An alternative: Steve's Workshop allows you to autocraft, consolidate up to four tables/furnaces with their own independent inventories, and upgrade your worktable in various ways. I've just messed around with it a little, but it's handy and single-purpose.
I love that mod but that there's a more updated version here

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've noticed in my mucking around in the BFSR beta that I wind up crashing the client side fairly often when I am rummaging through NEI. If it doesn't outright crash, sometimes things hang up for a few seconds. I haven't made sense of the crash dumps yet, and I don't think I'll get enough information to explain the performance hiccups. I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this, and if there's some trick to it.
NEI in general is not very good at coping with broken recipes that don't otherwise break Minecraft. If you haven't already it's worth installing and tuning INpureCore, unless there's an alternative that's still being updated, to heavily trim recipes.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Aside from that, I'd be curious if somebody could itemize some RFTool stuff I should check out other than the interdimensional stuff and the signal emitters. I discovered the latter yesterday when I needed a basic pattern generator. They are good things.
The screens are pretty great and worth a thorough look, I've heard the builders are great but haven't used them myself, and the redstone tools in general are good.

Threep fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 29, 2016

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's not like Vazkii's sitting idle anyway. Psi is her mod too and it's already had 4 releases for Minecraft 1.9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

On April 1st

edit: the joke is that IC2 is still terrible

Threep fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 2, 2016