Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Speaking of TiC, I'm trying to make a stupidly overpowered bow in Omp Sigma. Is there any consensus on the best combo of materials? Making the bow out of slime and enchanted fabric seems to be the way to go according to what I've googled, but I'm not so sure about arrow materials. And no one seems to know which modifiers should go on the bow and which should go on the ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

nexus6 posted:

I've not played Minecraft in a long while, are there any good modpacks that are adventure/rpg themed? I'm not interested about growing wheat and farming sheep, I want to explore the world and find dungeons and towers and monsters.

OMP Sigma is a good exploration/magic pack. It has better dungeons (or chocolate quest or whatever it's called), battle towers, infernal mobs, twilight forest and some other structure generation stuff I don't recognise. Also has TiC, thaumcraft, witchery and ars magica. And the Most Important Mod, bibliocraft.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I'm just grateful that I don't see a pony with the word SWAG above it every time I open the launcher anymore

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

That's like most mods though

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I always end up using TC in packs like Hexxit/ OMP Sigma because it's a good way to get armor that can repair itself instead of just falling apart in one battle tower.

I feel like a lot of mods offer decent options for weapons, but armor is just vanilla armor with different values. What does an "endgame" armor setup look like in something like Sigma?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Making a Tesseract requires several exotic materials, two different machines (liquid Transposer and Induction Smelter), and some kind of power source for the machines. This on the other hand is a recipe for a teleport pipe:

Wow that sounds really tedious, I can hardly imagine such inconvenience *goes back to making redstone engines to attach to every single wooden pipe*

Tesseracts requiring two machines to create hardly seems that tedious when (a) those machines have other uses than just making tesseracts and (b) once the machines are set up all you need to do is put in ender stones, power and a frame to make more tesseracts. That seems a lot less tedious than crafting diamond gears (5 steps each) to me, especially since I also now have machines for making lava and redstone batteries/conduits, but maybe I'm just crazy.

I mean if all you want is easy teleport pipes, you can just cheat them in or change the recipe. No one is gonna judge.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

And have you seen how many views Gangnam Style has?! No minecraft vid even comes close, QED modding is dead

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I'm aware this is something that actual literal 8 year olds know how to do, but how do you build a mob grinder in Stoneblock? Most of the ones I'm familiar with use water, of which i have none.

In a related matter, how do I get water in Stoneblock? I presume one the 200 mods will let me turn bones into water buckets or something.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Are there any chunkloaders in Stoneblock? I searched for chunk and got nothing, and I have no ideas what the cool kids use anymore.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Thanks, I would never have thought to look there. The last chunkloader I remember using was the one from I think ChickenChunks? man it's been a while.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I was going to play enigmatica 2 on a whim, but it was on the loading screen for at least ten minutes and then crashed

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Why do people put Evolved Endermen in modpacks? The only vaguely interesting thing is that you can get a friendermen, but everything else about the mod just makes it not worth it. I wish Stoneblock would stop reinstalling it every time I update it.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

One interesting aspect of Stoneblock is how it really makes you look hard at the best ways of just removing a fuckton of stone. TE fluxbores are the most flexible, but im considering actually building a terra shatterer from botania for comparison. Or just the biggest ticon hammer I can make with explosives strapped to it.

Any reccemondations for flight? Mystical agriculture has a very expensive armor set, but I just need something to let me mine out the ceiling.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Astral Sorcery question: The in-game manual says that altars and collectors and so on build up starlight quicker at higher elevations. I'm on an archipelago map so it's a pain in the rear end to build that high. Am I good to just build everything at sea level, or will it be painfully slow?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Speed really isn't a thing in Astral Sorcery. Starlight operates at magnitudes -- either you have enough, or you don't. That being said, you can largely ignore the height stuff and the fosic resonator's starlight fields. If you don't have enough starlight to craft stuff, make Spectral Relays and their associated multiblock. Put up to 4 around your altar, one in each cardinal direction. That should boost you up to be able to make the penultimate altar, with which you can make your own collector crystal and solve the problem of not enough starlight forever.

Sweet, then I can cram the altars into my increasingly crowded island. Thanks!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I quite often end up setting up inside of some sort of premade structure, at least in modded packs. I don't want to live in a dirt 9x9, so I try to fancy stuff up...but then I inevitably decide I need this one specific cosmetic block to finish my build, which requires a bunch of infrastructures, but I've got nowhere to put the infrastructure since the build is unfinished, and so on.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

How long until the original author adds huge ugly volcanoes to worldgen and screams at anyone trying to turn it off

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Also the other mod that's just called Chisel, which lets you choose from a bunch of different textures for each block.

Builders Gadgets or Builders Wands are also handy for building large structures

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Does it have rat kings

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

holy poo poo the Abyssalcraft part of SevTech is one of the worst experiences I have ever had in modded minecraft

First I have to walk like 4 ingame days to find a Shoggoth lair, and after a peek inside I set my spawn nearby using a bedroll. Then I attempt to kill one of them with my bronze sword. Nope, that's gonna take forever. Maybe I can get 6 of them to chase me like the book describes. I'll go into the lair and try and lure more out - oh whoops I died in there because they do a fuckton of damage. Well my spawn point is nearby, so I'll just - whoops I died again. And again. And about ten more times.

Finally, I manage to make it most of the way out of the lair and die on the stairs. I go over to find my grave and....nothing. There's no grave. Maybe one of the shoggoths overwrote it with ooze, I don't know.

So now I guess I'm painstakingly cheating in everything I had in my inventory, including a full backpack, because of this broken mess of a mod. Maybe I should just cheat in a statue too and be done with it.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I'm bumbling through SevTech and I've reached the Blood Magic stage, which I have very little experience with. Is there a way to repair a broken Sentient Sword? Also is there a better way to gather Will than killing things with a Sentient Sword?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

So I'm playing Gregtech: New Horizons after being reminded of it in this thread, and I'm at the stage where I can start digging for iron ore. I have read both the ingame tips and the wiki article on ore generation, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong because I've seen like 3 iron ore blocks anywhere (of any kind, amgnetite etc).

Here's what I'm doing:

1. Walking around until the ingame overlay says "this is an ore chunk"
2. Finding the middle of that chunk using the JEI overlay as a guide
3. Digging down to bedrock in the center of the chunk
4. Finding absolutely gently caress all ore

Do I just need to find another chunk? There is a decent amount of apatite ore near the top of the chunk, does that mean it might not have any iron ore?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I've been playing through GT:NH for a bit now, as someone who never really messed with GT before my thoughts are:

- I understand the ore generation thing (mostly) after people explained it in this thread, but it does mean you can end up stuck on a quest where you need one particular ore (for me it was diamonds) and no way to find it except digging randomly. The dowsing rod should come earlier, and they should let you buy ore with coins even if you havent found all 15 varieties of iron ore yet.

- why do animals randomly explode when killed with a sword sometimes. Yes I know you can use a knife to get around it, it sill makes no loving sense to me whatsoever. Who enjoys making a lovely knife to go poke pigs with when you're in the stone age and have no farm set up.

- adding more mobs, even Infernal mobs, I can kind of understand. They are unbalanced but usually you can just run away, and I play with item drop on death off anwyay. But there absolutely did not need to be extra creepers added with "what if they made even more of a loving mess when they exploded". It's not like lighting up your base early on is particularly easy.

- I understand it's kind of a central tenet of Gregtech, but I am still sad one of my boilers exploded. I know why it happened, it just made such a loving mess.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Ànyone have experience with unfucking Better Questing in GTNH?

Somehow, losing my internet connection caused the modpack to lose all my character data. Whatever, I can get the items back. But the questbook has completely reset. I've been trying to use the editor to manually complete the quests, but the "Complete Quest" button does absolutely nothing.

Worse still, it doesn't even seem to work if I try and complete things the usual way. The first quest is to pick up 8 dirt and no matter how much dirt I pick up it won't register, even if I click detect/submit.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Sadly it seems to have somehow overwritten my character data when I logged in while offline, since everything is still missing even after going online again. Which I could deal with, if not for the quest bullshit.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Played it in offline mode, then. Whatever happened, it doesn't seem to be working now.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 3, 2020

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

From memory I think it's mostly for flour and other "soft" grinding recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

No, you just need to break them with a wrench and replace them to "clean" them. They only require silver for construction.