Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I thought copper was from the alchemy reaction with pumpkin seeds? Also cocoa seeds are a rare drop from breaking grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Leafy Wall posted:

Do you have any tips for automating early game stuff? I just got the pumpkin seeds for redstone so I'm trying to convert the combustion/condenser into iron. The closest I have to automating things is a mob-drop that partially works and idiot squids that beach themselves and air drown. I think I have 500 ink now.

bonsai trees! Put the hopping bonsai pot on top of a chest and it'll drop wood/sticks/leaves/saplings into the chest. Here I have the logs being fed into a furnace to produce more charcoal than I can use, which is then fed to a furnace generator which powers my basic machines and bronze combustion thingy. whole setup doesn't need much in materials.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I know, it's goddamn annoying. And it looks like you can't get rubber from sawmills (haven't tried) like I did in FTB infinity evolved. What's the automation solution there?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Leafy Wall posted:

Color me unimpressed as poo poo about the porcelain smelter. Hot enough to smelt gold for a bucket cast but not hot enough to smelt iron for an actual bucket. Now I'm getting roadblocked by sugar of all things. I need some ridiculously expensive machine to stuff gold nuggets into a melon so I can throw it on a pumpkin. :psyduck:

Yeah, that realization kind of sucks. The only answer is a mob farm that can kill witches and automatically pick drops (i'm using mob fans, conveyor belts, iron spikes, and an ender hopper) and even then it's pretty slow going, as it's a rare drop.You won't be getting sugar cane anytime soon, so get on it.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Are there any modpacks for 1.12 that approach the level of "fun" I experienced in infinity evolved expert mode? The scale of that pack was great and I'm wondering if I can recreate that with more current mods.

Alternatively will FTB (or whomever made that pack) be updating infinity?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Yeah, I played some MSB2, and it wasn't challenging in the way I'm looking for. It mostly felt like grind for its own sake.

Nor do I find combat to be very much fun, so combat-themed packs are probably out. Vanilla terraria blows away pretty much any minecraft mod I've looked at in terms of combat presenting interesting challenges

Toadsmash posted:

They've had a 1.12 expert pack in beta testing for awhile. So... soon, in theory? It's been like a month since I last heard an update on that.

This is good news though! I didn't know it was on the table at all

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Magres posted:

Have you done Blightfall? Still probably my favorite pack ever made, and one of the only ones I've played that I really felt like had significant shifts in the gameplay and how you interact with the world. Transitioning from stuck inside your bubble, to lightly expanding your territory but mostly playing defense, to exploring the world, to cleansing the world is such a satisfying series of changes. Getting my first Ethereal Blooms, my first cleansing wand focus, my first dawn totem, and my first dawn machine were all fairly major changes in how I interacted with the world and it's great.

I haven't heard anything about Blightfall 2 in a long time, so I'm guessing it's dead, but I still hold out hope for it because of how loving great Blightfall 1 is.

Yup. I won't play anything with Infernal Mobs in it because the probability of having some ridiculous Teleporting Regenerating Blinding Choking Poisoning Stealing Withering Thorns piece of poo poo spawn and follow you home approaches 1 the longer you play, and once it happens you may as well just spin up a new world.

Yeah, blightfall's amazing. I haven't ever gotten terribly far into it, but part of the reason I don't want to go back to blightfall or IE is the idea of going through the basics of each of the big 1.7.10 mods for the millionth time. Hence asking for 1.12 stuff.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

McFrugal posted:

Good news, FTB Pyramid gives you unbreakable tools immediately.

and if you fall off the island they're gone forever because /keepinventory doesn't work and there's no grave mod. yeah, didn't take me long to nope out of that modpack

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Zohar posted:

Getting into the steam age in GT:NH and just realised after processing a whole bunch of chalcopyrite that just smelting the impure dust gives you a full ingot of copper, after spending forever washing it and putzing around with the 6 nuggets you get from the clean version

You can also just smelt the crushed rock version of most (maybe all? I haven't checked) the ores for a single ingot. If you have a bunch of extra clean ore powders, don't smelt them yet. Just process some fresh ores and save the powder for your blast furnace. You probably won't wanna make ingots in a blast furnace until you have at least two of them, so you can keep making steel, but pure powders smelt for three ingots with nuggets of side products if the ore has any (eg antimony from tetrahedrite).

For the majority of the steam age my process was macerate to get double crushed ore, then just smelt that in the furnace.

Also I'm not using a cheated-in prospector and it's been pretty fine so far. I still haven't found a vein of diamond, but I have that dowsing rod thing and a diamond ore from one of the coin rewards, so basically I just need to go wander in areas I haven't checked yet. I used that to locate the few small diamond ores around my base and that's been enough to fuel my macerators/lathe/portal to twilight forest at least.

E: anyone know what the deal is with mending moss in GTNH? Moss doesn't seem to have a recipe in nei. Is it locked behind magic or something? I took one ball of moss as a quest reward so I know it exists and gives the mending perk.

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 13, 2018

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ambaire posted:

By the way, you can craft a digger backpack by itself to void the contents.
Oh my god thank you. I really miss having a dev/null.

I asked this earlier, but is there a way to give tool mending modifiers outside of quest rewards?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Can anyone tell me if something weird is going on here? Enigmatica 2 expert single player world: IE connectors and relays don't seem to be visually attaching to other objects. I haven't gotten any power generation going so I'm not sure if it's actually connecting or what. Anyone seen this before? Also I'm not getting extra hearts for eating different foods and sometimes pam's foods will revert to saying I havent eaten them even though i have. Thats not related obviously but it seems wrong

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Sorry, my last picture may not have been clear enough, but the issue is that relays and connectors visually have those metal caps on both ends, like they're floating. Doesn't seem to matter whether they're relays or connectors, or what they're attaching to. Here's a shot I grabbed from a yt lp doing the same pack as me. In previous packs my connectors looked like this, too

Comparing the pics side by side, I see that the issue I'm trying to point out is barely noticeable in the screen... sorry guys

here's a better example

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 9, 2019

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I guess if IE was patched in the last month or so? I don't know why that'd be patched, though. I liked the way they looked before. I typically would put relays up on the end of fence poles and the bottom of the relay blended right into the pole, it looked nice.

I mean, everything seems to function normally so it's not a big deal or anything. It just looks sloppy like this and I thought it might be a symptom of a bigger install problem that'd bite me in the rear end later.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i don't like change :jiggled:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Just made my first foray into cloches and mystical agriculture in e2e. Upon learning non-expert has hopping bonsai pots but expert doesn't I decided to make the equivalent setup to give me renewable wood and charcoal. Originally I had it fed by an eu2 furnace generator, but apparently chloches cost 240rf/t so I'd need 6 of the drat things to be self-sufficient. So I just switched to solar. I have quite a power surplus now, so I should hook up a couple other t1 seeds with cloches and autocrafters to supply me with gravel and flint or something.

Don't mind the botania mess

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Basically every tech progression modpack I've ever played looks like this: a bunch of machines thrown down on the grass in a rough area.

Basically. I always think of these setups as a prototype for an eventual refined system for some purpose, but then what I already have works in the interim and I just never bother to change it. GTNH, IE expert, regrowth... yep.

What I really need is my buddy that's good at prettifying the base while I work on progression

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

enigmatica 2 expert:

:woop:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

What's good autofarming for Mystic Agriculture crops? A huge part of the mod seems to be based on the chance of an extra seed dropping but almost every autofarmer I've seen bypasses that chance. Hell, even mods that add "right click to harvest" mechanics don't ever drop extra seeds. Only breaking the crops does it.
In any pack that doesn't also use Agricraft, getting more seeds seems to be a real challenge.

In my E2E world I have a phytogenic insolator from TE with an auxillary sieve upgrade. I don't really use it for autofarming, but the sieve gives it like a %10 chance to give an extra seed as byproduct, so I just give it a bunch of phytogrow and pipe the byproduct seeds back into it until it has a nice pile of seeds for my AA farmers.

Actually, AA farmers still get seeds back which can be replanted, but I think you need to move them back into the input slot manually.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I kinda like GT pipes because at least they're intuitive. Mekanism cables now, those things make no sense to me. Getting more throughput for a longer cable is completely unintuitive.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Black Pants posted:

Excuse you. Using EnderIO capacitor banks as a really expensive cable and at the same time providing more capacity AND throughput per capacitor added is absolutely a viable and fun way of powering your base.

Sure, more cable (or capacitor) = more capacitance. That makes sense. The rate of transmission linearly scaling with the number of attached cables, regardless of whether they're in series or parallel, though?

Let's just say it took me a little while to figure out why my matter fabricator drained my hundred million+ rf capacity in seconds when I attached it to one long mek cable that says 1.2krf/t right on it. It's kind of annoying to use those when trying to throttle power to that thing. My current solution is a pair of rftools power monitors with one sending a redstone signal when my power network hits a lower limit and the other sending a signal when my power hits full. Both are controlling the mek cable so it cuts out when power hits 25%, then reconnects when it fills up.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

President Ark posted:

astral sorcery seems fairly self-contained and least in need of support from other mods to do good things

e: Enigmatica 2 expert question: what are some good next steps in terms of power generation after the very basic immersive engineering stuff? i'd like something with a bit more "oomph" and nuclearcraft reactors seem a bit far away

I went Mekanism advanced solar generators, then went for IC2 nuclear, which is buffed to 4x normal rates. sitting at about 3300rf/t right now.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

President Ark posted:

in enigmatica 2 expert are there any redstone cable-type things i can use to bring a lever signal from my base to about 4 chunks away without messing around with raw redstone signal strength and repeaters and poo poo

i have a nuclearcraft reactor a short distance from my main base i'd like to be able to semi-remotely turn on/off when i need extra juice for things

Enderio redstone conduits.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

President Ark posted:

in enigmatica 2 expert are there any redstone cable-type things i can use to bring a lever signal from my base to about 4 chunks away without messing around with raw redstone signal strength and repeaters and poo poo

i have a nuclearcraft reactor a short distance from my main base i'd like to be able to semi-remotely turn on/off when i need extra juice for things

I’m thinking about this more and actually I think you should just always have power generation going. Early access to the matter fabricator/replicator means that you always have a use for more energy. For my setup, my main power storage is in energy cells, which are all wirelessly sharing with each other. So I have a cell near my fabricator with a pair of rftools storage monitors that keep my total power level between whatever values I set and dump any excess into the fabricator. Then I set the replicator to auto run making litherite, then logged out and forgot about it the next time I played, so now I have no UU and enough litherite to make my first void miner :v:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Honestly, I don't think it's that bad. For a tier 1 miner, you need 4 blocks for the controller, plus 24 structures @ 2 crystals each, for a total of 48+36 = 84 crystals. Really what that's testing is your ability to set up an autocrafter that can handle empowering a bunch of different blocks. besides that it's just a matter of gathering the requisite ender pearls and platinum. I guess you also need the nuclearcraft rock crusher for the weird mineral powders and probably an autosieve + crushed endstone for all the random jewels needed in the empowered X recipes. Looking back I didn't really need to replicate litherite at all.

Is litherite needed for much besides upgrading the void miner to higher tiers?

(hot tip: replicate connectors. each one of those needs four BLOCKS of tin, and you'll need hundreds of connectors. they cost like 1.75 mb of UU each)

My real beef with E2E's implementation of envirotech is the uninspired nature of the ore unlocks with the void miner. it's literally just each tier just gets a new random *-crystal that's added to the void drop tables and it's just needed for the next tier of miner :confuoot: I should be excited to get my first few pieces of erodium, dammit. When I saw I had some all I thought was "huh, I guess I'll come back when I have a couple hundred of these for the t2 miner." Those crystals don't do anything besides gating that I can tell.

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 10, 2019

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Black Pants posted:

That's how Envirotech works by default, it's nothing to do with E2E aside from the fact that they didn't change it to give it some other recipes I guess.

Yeah, I know. I was just hoping for something more lucrative given the high cost of it and the general power of other things in the pack. It feels like I'm going through the entirety of envirotech linearly and separate from the rest of the mods for the sole purpose of acquiring the ores the t6 miner grants access to.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

President Ark posted:

enigmatica 2 expert question: do i need void seeds/void metal from thaumcraft for anything before i get to the point where i can craft them with mystical agriculture which (apparently) requires advanced rocketry to get the ore for the seeds, because i really do not want to have to generate rifts on purpose and sit around them until one decides to drop a void seed

Not that I can tell. I pretty much just dropped thaumcraft after getting my smeltery/wireless vis transfer up and havent needed it for much. BTW you don't necessarily need adv rocketry to get prosperity. You're probably past this point, but there's a quest that gives you a prudentium hammer head as an option. I melted that head down and made a binding with the metal, threw that in my pick, and now i get shards whenever mining with it. That's been enough to dabble in some mystical ag here and there. You can craft blocks of prosperity too, but those require emeralds (which you can get from envirotech/rocketry/ex nihilo sifting).

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I found a little tip/possible exploit that might be helpful in the E2E midgame: IC2 U238 (from the macerator/centrifuge process) can be melted in a smeltery, which is then oredicted into generic molten uranium. this can be pumped into a nucraft centrifuge and reprocessed for a free additional bit of U235. This includes the U238 you get from spent IC2 fuel rods. I've accumulated hundreds/thousands of those ingots, so it's actually a pretty significant source of U235. It's actually enough that I've fully automated production of LEU-235 nucraft fuel using just the leftovers from my IC2 reactor. THEN the leftover U238 from the nucraft process (which are again fairly significant) can be ingot formed into the generic uranium ingots. Pretty nifty!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Patware posted:

A couple friends of mine that haven't really gone in on modded minecraft (but have played similar stuff) are looking to take a crack at it and I'm trying to hunt down a good modpack and looking for some suggestions.

Mostly something relatively crunchy (but not gregtech-level nonsense) with quest progression and dangerous mobs that are maybe a bit more aggressive about coming at your poo poo so you have to build defensively. In lieu of that right now I'm thinking Sevtech, which feels like the top-of-the-line progression-based pack that I know of.

I havent tried sevtech ages yet but lots of chatter itt suggests it's good.

Enigmatica 2 Expert is the other new perennially-suggested quest progression non-skyblock pack. It's extremely crunchy, but not quite like GTNH. You can rush creative flight and an AE2 system relatively early, and mobs are a pretty annoying until you kill some for their armor and weapons.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Chisels and Bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRY0AZgHP1g

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I'm getting to the point in Enigmatica 2 expert where I'll need to start automating botania mana for the endgame crystals. Not looking forward to that so much. Anyone have good setups they're proud of?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Okay thank you for reminding me I've only gone deep enough into AS to make the third tier altar then left it alone. Had no idea I could make cakes with it

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I'm getting really strong pie-in-the-sky/starbound vibes from hytale. hopefully i'm wrong, but how polished their advertising is compared to the lack of real product demos has me pretty skeptical

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i tried a bit of sevtech but i stopped in age 1 when youre forced to do magic stuff and explore to find shoggoths to progress for some reason thats not explained.

i died trying to kill some after exploring for half an hour trying to find a swamp, then spent a long rear end time trying to find my body and dying repeatedly. when i finally found where i died originally my grave and all its items were gone so that was the end of that pack

it seems not very good after playing a bunch of e2e.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Mycroft Holmes posted:

so, i tired sevtech, but i'm not a fan. I'm playing enigmatica2expert and it's good, but some of the mods seem to duplicate each other? like, industrialcraft and expert engineering both do the same sort of thing. what are some mods similar to enigmatica2expert?

e2e is really the best thing of that style you'll find, unless you go back to 1.7.10 for infinity evolved. i'd suggest sticking with it. i bounced off it the first time i tried it too, but it's actually quite good.

ic2 and ie are kinda parallel progressions intentionally. you can technically get to the later tech mods just by picking one. mainly they use steel to gate further stuff, by requiring it for the base casings for higher tiers' machines. just set up some minimal ie stuff so you can get your steel and cheap plates/rods/gears then move on to mekanism machines. eventually you may want to come back to ic2 to get plutonium through its nuclear fission mechanic (and the energy is decent), but it's not strictly required.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

McFrugal posted:

You must've played a while back. Now you get a death compass when you die so you can find your grave easily. Also you don't need to find a swamp. The only required biome is the darklands biome(tree type shenanigans notwithstanding) and that's very easy to find. You can even get a compass that points to the nearest one.

This was the last few days, actually. I died in the middle of an ocean on the way to my original body trying to take a "shortcut" to get there faster and was killed by piranhas, even on a raft. I couldn't get to that body to retrieve my compass so I was kinda hosed. Also that trophy quest says you need shoggoth flesh or the stone their lairs are made from which only spawns in swamp and river apparently. the quest screen just didn't do a very good job explaining why things needed to be done in the order they demand, and even the relatively basic qol things requiring random poo poo like shadow gems and shark teeth was very transparent signalling to me that the rest of the pack would probably contain similar levels of bullshit tedium to pad out the amount of time you spend doing things.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Patware posted:

sevtech age 0 and 1 are easily the worst parts that i've seen

also i outright refuse to engage with shoggoths at all to be honest. like i'm not gonna defend all that because any pack putting in abyssalcraft as a mandatory step is outright loving up as far as i'm concerned

I dont understand why anyone would keep playing it after that poo poo. combat in minecraft is so garbage!!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I think the concepts used in idle games could absolutely be applied to modded minecraft. I'm imagining being given an extreme ultimate goal (like a pile of singularities or whatever), but it's expected that goal is not really achievable with the tools you're initially given. However, along the way you would buy or unlock the ability to restart from scratch, but with the added benefit of simplifying recipes, trivializing a base resource, or upgrading machine efficiency/processing speed. So, you'd start with a bunch of terrible, wasteful machines with complicated recipes, but once you get to whatever intermediate goal, you blow up your lovely machines and build them again, but better and more. Then the new intermediate goal is a little further out, and you unlock better tools to get there. Using those mechanics I could see having paradigm shifts similar to what's in idle games.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

I think that could be part of it though - like you get to skip the boring parts in some way. That's typically what Idle games do (or at least the good ones) is that you slowly get ways to skip or automate the boring parts.

Setup a map where you start in a defined space with a building nearby, and every time you 'prestige' it is loaded up with more and more stuff. Maybe you get a drawer full of creative Iron caches/etc, or an infinite RF generator/etc.

I don't think it would work on a traditional pack like Modern Skyblock 2/3, but I think it could work in a pack very specifically designed around it. I think it's an interesting idea at least, although who knows how it would work in concept.

This is basically what I was thinking. For whatever reason idle games and modded minecraft feel like they share a similar space in my brain, so it makes sense to me to combine them somehow.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

How about for every machine when you set it up you have to play a minigame like a zachtronics game such as spacechem or shenzhen i/o to determine the logic and processing ability of the machine :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Whalley posted:

I... wouldn't hate that :negative:

Like for real, imagine having a wiring minigame that you can jump into and make the machine work better whenever you want, as you build components. It wouldn't be fun on every playthrough but that first playthrough? poo poo would be dope.

Actually now that I'm thinking about it, mechanically that's pretty much what IC2 and nuclearcraft both do for fission reactors, to dome extent. I honestly think that style of design could be applied much more broadly, as long as it's easy to copy/paste finished "solved" builds from the community for those that don't wanna gently caress with a mechanic like that.