Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

MyAnimeList posted:

One day, a mysterious virus appeared on Earth which killed every infected human over the age of 13. At the same time, vampires emerged from the world's dark recesses and enslaved mankind. Enter Hyakuya Yuuichirou, a young boy, who along with the rest of the children from his orphanage, are treated as livestock by the vampires. Even in captivity, Yuuichirou dreams big. He dreams of killing vampires. He dreams of killing them all.

Wikipedia posted:

In 2012, the world allegedly comes to an end at the hands of a human-made virus, ravaging the global populace and leaving only children untouched. It is at this time that vampires emerge from the recesses of the earth, likely followed by age-old horrors of the dark thought only to be myth. The vampires sweep the earth and claim it in a single violent stroke, subjugating the remnants of humanity and leading them beneath the surface to safety. This "protection" comes at the price of donating blood to their captors. At the age of twelve, Yūichirō and his friend and fellow orphan Mikaela plotted to escape along with the children in Hyakuya Orphanage. However, this resulted in their deaths and Mikaela sacrifices himself in order for Yūichirō to escape and be saved by members of the Moon Demon Company, an extermination unit of the Japanese Imperial Demon Army. Four years later, Yūichirō dedicates his life to destroy vampires and seek revenge against them for murdering his "family".

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

drat you. Here's the OP I was about to post:

Seraph of the End (Owari no Seraph) is an anime about pretty boys in cool uniforms (there's also a few pretty girls). Some are vampires, some want to kill vampires. Maybe some want to kiss? Probably not, but the OP implies pretty strongly that they do. Sometimes the human ones wear school uniforms, and that's not as cool, but their military uniforms are pretty sweet.

Look at this cool fucker. He looks better with the cape, but apparently the internet disagrees, as I couldn't find any good images of him wearing it. The internet does seem to think that he's very attractive, though.

This guy takes it a bit far, but his heart's in the right place.

Look at this vampire guy in his vampire uniform. He didn't murder my family at all and I still want to punch him with a demon.

Oh poo poo! Guy that's murdered in the first episode is also in a vampire uniform! I'd feel bad if they didn't spoil this in the OP.

I like the visual effect they use for the demon weapons.

It's been entertaining so far, even with post-apocalyptic anime high school. It's decently animated and the characters are fun enough to watch. If you're considering it, the first 2-3 episodes should tell you whether you like it. It's available to watch on Funimation so you should go ahead and deal with their subpar website and player and watch it there.

Also, the ED contains the lyric "I need your blood" in english. This is an example of quality anime writing.

Also the music is composed by Hiroyuki Sawano.

The studio is Wit Studio of Attack on Titan and Rolling Girls fame.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

you haven't even watched this show what the gently caress

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'm going to.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
drat you. Here's the OP I was about to post:

Seraph of the End (Owari no Seraph) is an anime about pretty boys in cool uniforms (there's also a few pretty girls). Some are vampires, some want to kill vampires. Maybe some want to kiss? Probably not, but the OP implies pretty strongly that they do. Sometimes the human ones wear school uniforms, and that's not as cool, but their military uniforms are pretty sweet.

Look at this cool fucker. He looks better with the cape, but apparently the internet disagrees, as I couldn't find any good images of him wearing it. The internet does seem to think that he's very attractive, though.

This guy takes it a bit far, but his heart's in the right place.

Look at this vampire guy in his vampire uniform. He didn't murder my family at all and I still want to punch him with a demon.

Oh poo poo! Guy that's murdered in the first episode is also in a vampire uniform! I'd feel bad if they didn't spoil this in the OP.

I like the visual effect they use for the demon weapons.

It's been entertaining so far, even with post-apocalyptic anime high school. It's decently animated and the characters are fun enough to watch. If you're considering it, the first 2-3 episodes should tell you whether you like it. It's available to watch on Funimation so you should go ahead and deal with their subpar website and player and watch it there.

Also, the ED contains the lyric "I need your blood" in english. This is an example of quality anime writing.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'm gonna append that to my post. I hope you don't mind.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Do it.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

level slide this is a disaster

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Darth Walrus posted:

Seraph of the End: Yeah, We're All Watching For Shinoa Too
Shinoa is really great.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dryzen posted:

level slide this is a disaster

there's not even a witty thread title

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I just finished episode 3 and am glad the mc is getting a Cursed Gear but disappointed that it won't be the badass giant axe. Also the purple haired girl is great.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
This is a surprisingly solid show, I'll probably read the manga once this season is over. I didn't have high hopes for post-apocalypse high school vampire fighting anime, this was one of the shows I was thinking I would drop first, but it's been good so far and there's been vanishingly little angst when they could have filled the show with it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
What?? Every part of the show that's not filled with your basic shounen tropes is filled with angst.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I mean, I like it anyway, but I think every character that we've heard any backstory of is angsty.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Going into this show with no expectations, the first episode was interesting, but the second episode dropped the high school and I got out as quickly as I could. I might come back later on if it has more to it than cliches, but I'm not optimistic.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

This is a good show that people should really give the 3 episode test to because that first episode is not very indicative of what's to come.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Going into this show with no expectations, the first episode was interesting, but the second episode dropped the high school and I got out as quickly as I could. I might come back later on if it has more to it than cliches, but I'm not optimistic.

Yeah, I almost didn't make it to the second episode when the preview showed high school. It's entertaining enough if you come to terms with the fact that it is very shounen.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Yeah, I almost didn't make it to the second episode when the preview showed high school. It's entertaining enough if you come to terms with the fact that it is very shounen.

I'll give it a few weeks, readjust my expectations, and give it another shot. I just have to get over being bummed that we're not getting atmospheric creepy post-apoc. vampire hunting. :sigh:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That seems a sound decision.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The first episode was easily the strongest of the lot, a setting amongst the cattle in the vampocalypse would have been unique. Afterwards, the only characters that I like are Guren and Shinoa, whereas Yuuchirou is an unlikeable rear end in a top hat without Mikaela to hold him back. Luckily Mikaela is coming back, and hopefully we're going to get passionate screaming between the two.

There was an awful bit in the most recent episode that dragged down an excellent scene. You saw Mikaela enter his old house, scare the living daylights out of the new inhabitants, where their relationships mirror that of Mikaela and Yuuchirou's old relationship. There was hardly a word to be said, and you felt every single bit of the meaning of that scene. And in the middle of Mikaela's slow walk away, they immediately cut to Yuuchirou's bustling classroom, completely ruining the mood.

I like Eren significantly more than Yuuchirou. Even at his worst, Eren was capable of dealing reasonably with others.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This show is hinging on the cool effects from the cursed weapons for me, I'd probably have dropped it otherwise.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Not sure what the dealio with the vampires is yet. They seem to have some sort of Vampire Man's Burden going on.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The most interesting part of the show is the rough-drawn backgrounds, which are an interesting change of pace. Other than that it seems kinda disposable.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Some people made this show sound good, so I watched the first episode.

On my YA Cliche Checklist, I got

• Orphaned MC
  • All the adults have vanished
  • MC and his buddies are oppressed
  • Vampires

Then there was a high school in the second episode.

I think I'm going to join those who are waiting for it to get better.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I honestly did not even remember that high school used to be a thing with this show if that's any comfort about where the plot is going.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Allarion posted:

I honestly did not even remember that high school used to be a thing with this show if that's any comfort about where the plot is going.

A little bit. I may pick it back up if I get bored sometime in the next couple of months.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The high school aspect of the show has a Blue Exorcist vibe to it, which I'm ok with.

k4kk01
May 6, 2013

I really want the brown haired kid with the bow (no idea what his name is) to take Yuuichirou's role as protag and then end up duking it out/bonding with Mikaela. So far he's my favorite character from the high school side, and I'm really hoping to see some cool character development, given what we've seen so far. (Obviously he's not going to become the MC, but I can dream). Mikaela's also pretty cool, and he and the opening theme are the reason I stuck through the second episode, which dragged a lot compared to the others.

The effects whenever a demon weapon comes into play are super neat, and I definitely look forward to seeing more of them in the future.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

k4kk01 posted:

I really want the brownpurple haired kidgirl with the bowhuge scythe (no idea what his name isShinoa) to take Yuuichirou's role as protag and then end up duking it out/bonding withtrolling Mikaela.

Fixed that for you.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Largepotato posted:

I really want the purple haired girl with the huge scythe (Shinoa) to take Yuuichirou's role as protag and then end up trolling Mikaela everyone.

Fixed even more.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Going by what I remember of the manga we will not see the dreaded highschool again. Fear not.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I understand that the high school is supposed to not really be a high school but some sort of filter-training-ground for demonic weapon users, but it's still a stupid Japanese high school. Anything else would've been better.

I will say this, after watching the first episode or so and then finding the main character in a Japanese high school -- the scenario was rather jarring.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hell, it violates the rules of the universe. This is a post-apocalyptic landscape, everyone is going through resource shortages and are sieged by freaky monsters. Not even an organisation as successful as the Imperial Demon Army can splash out the resources for a high school (and stock its vending machines with food: what the gently caress? How are they even sourcing food from factories and farms when the world is overrun by monsters?).

Attack on Titan, for all its faults, was very consistent and logical about its universe.

k4kk01
May 6, 2013

Largepotato posted:

Fixed that for you.

Okay, honestly, that would also be great. It would be especially amazing to see her out-troll the purple-haired vampire- who is not particularly good at trolling, but the one who seems the most inclined to on the vampire side.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Episode 6 spoiler. I would've liked it if the brown-haired kid had to be killed off instead of the usual safe-everyone sappiness, but I can see why they didn't go there. But I definitely hope that once the two main characters meet we're not going to get a season-long arc of 'looking for a cure' or 'redemption'. Please just skip that cliche and go straight for the bitter rivalry and murdering. So far the show seems to be best when things are bleak and lives worth little.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Fleve posted:

Episode 6 spoiler. I would've liked it if the brown-haired kid had to be killed off instead of the usual safe-everyone sappiness, but I can see why they didn't go there. But I definitely hope that once the two main characters meet we're not going to get a season-long arc of 'looking for a cure' or 'redemption'. Please just skip that cliche and go straight for the bitter rivalry and murdering. So far the show seems to be best when things are bleak and lives worth little.

Honestly, I disagree with all of this.

The show so far has been about holding on to and protecting what little you've got in that shithole of a world, so killing him would have gone entirely opposite to that. This isn't AoT.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I liked the hell out of this episode, and the fact that it was Yoichi, the Armin of this show, who faltered, was something I found unexpected. And the climax of this episode, the line that brought Yoichi back from the brink, was quite well delivered. Guren's a character who always has a ton of presence every time he is on screen. And it's good to see Yuichirou becoming less of an rear end in a top hat as time goes by, he's more interesting as a character who has Been Through Alot Of poo poo, and can use that experience to strengthen others.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
So I was feeling lukewarm on this 3 episodes in, and when I had 3 hours to kill today on the train I caught back up again and honestly? I actually really bought into it more. The high school is dead and gone and I really like both the demon weapons and the vampires.

It could still flop hard but I think at this rate of progress we might end up with a show worth watching. Who knows, but I am willing to give it the chance to impress me.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's funny to see the vampires talk about how they'll crush humans under their heel, or how humans are only valuable as livestock.

And then they're flying a military cargo plane.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I don't like the effect they use for Yoichi's arrows. It looks like the animation was half-finished and they put in a placeholder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
In general this was a weak episode. Introduced a character with a predictable personality and a predictable backstory, nothing else.

• Locked thread