Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'd be up and/or down for this as well. Skype's OrnatePlateSA.

As for audio editing, Audacity isn't too hard to use. Just import your game music, slide the volume down to -16dB or so, then record your commentary over it. After that, you can do some extra things to it to help it "pop" out a bit more -- I usually ran a Levelizer, Normalizer, and Compressor over it, all at default settings.

That said, these days, I use Adobe Audition since I like its workflow better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Clearly you should hess everywhere. :colbert:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's a combination of a top-rated game ("best game of all time") that everybody knows, riddled with lots of complex tricks, intricate movement, wacky glitches, and limitless potential. There's basically no RNG, which makes it extremely consistent, and so you get lots of route planners and "setups". Even people who are bad at video games, like me, manage to contribute to the speedrunning community for it. Things are still being discovered in OoT. You can do anything in OoT if you put your mind to it.

It's super easy to pick up and put down, it's easily obtainable on lots of platforms.

It's spawned lots of speedrun styles, the concept of "bingo" races, hell, even puzzle races.

There's lots of complexity in the game at a surface level, and weird things start popping out of fun interactions of wacky game mechanics. The game's not that badly programmed, the game is surprisingly resilient to you breaking it over its knee and lets you see where you end up. Lots of other games crash, hang, or softlock where OoT just keeps on trucking.

And, due to pause buffering, the game is TASable on console. There's no trick that's "TAS-only", it only requires patience and practice.

There's really no other game like it.

The Jumpoff posted:

If it's not too long/boring/technical, could you explain some of the differences between RBA and Bottle Adventure? I was getting confused as to what made them different. Great LP by the way, I always love seeing games get hilariously broken.

"Bottle Adventure" was discovered first, so the other trick was named "Reverse Bottle Adventure". Basically, it allows you to get arbitrary items on your B button that aren't the bottle, using a bottle. They both are due to the same bug in the bottle code, which I can explain better if you want.

There's lots of cool things you can do with that. I imagine Doctor Kill is planning on showing it off at some point.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
There's nothing wrong with WW. It has a rich and vibrant speedrunning community in the same way. It even has some pretty broken glitches too.

The specific glitches in OoT comes from a variety of places. Nintendo's focus and history with doing everything from scratch and working traditionally with low-level, embedded code is a big factor to play, and there are plenty of glitches in other Nintendo games (I would even say that SM64 is a contender for some pretty amazing glitches in its physics and character movement), but the goals and game structure allows the glitches to break so much more. A glitch in SM64 allows you to get a single star early, or perhaps by not pressing the A button), but there's no real sequence break outside of beating the game without the required 70 stars. SM64

Zelda games take a very item and inventory management-focused approach to puzzle solving, along with an extremely linear game structure (to beat the game, you need to beat the final boss. To beat the final boss, you need to unlock the final dungeon and get the Light Arrows. To unlock the final dungeon / get the Light arrows, you need the Spirit and Shadow Medallions. To get the Spirit Medallion, you need to beat the Spirit Temple. To beat the Spirit Temple, you need to get to the dungeon and have X items), along with a super open world from the get-go. Breaking one of those bits of sequence is enough to be interesting, but combined with the embedded-mindset codebase that only comes with older consoles.

It's difficult to explain to somebody why this low-level embedded mindset leads to wacky glitches, but basically, the programmers weren't checking for all possible states of something. You can put any item value on any button, because that's how the button system worked, but certain items on the B button just flat out break the game, because the code for the item wasn't ever used or tested when on that B button.

In a similar way, the reason bottle duplication works is because when you start swinging, the game saves which C button you pressed, and then when you catch something, it updates that button's item to the "empty bottle" item. The programmers never imagined somebody pausing the game in the middle of that sequence to change out their C button items, and so the code breaks.

Think about all the tiny interactions items have with another in the game, and there's endless possibility.

Try doing two things at the same time: Killing yourself while a cutscene starts? Both activate, so you get the effects of both (you get the Bolero of Fire, and you can save/quit/respawn). Release a fish from a bottle when you also press a switch? Both the "drop fish" cutscene activates, the "press switch" cutscene activates, and the game gets confused about both of them playing at the same time, so it forgets to end the "press switch" cutscene until after the fish despawns, so you can enter the door later. You also saw that same core bug with Actor Glitch and Get Item Manipulation where you were in multiple cutscenes at once and the game forgot to finish loading the map, or you humped a chest and got the Spooky Mask.

Wind Waker actually has this same bug, where the global event list is interrupted, and you end up with this wacky glitch called Storage that lets you walk around while chests are opening, disable collision detection by interrupting a door, etc.

Super Mario 64 has this same bug. Catch a bomb while it despawns and you get this magical ability to make clones, as I linked to above, but there's plenty of others.

Jeez, this is way too many words about a dumb game for idiot babies.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Keep in mind that there were also 3 different versions (v1.0, v1.1, v1.2) of this game, and each one fixed some of these glitches. There's also reason to believe that all three versions were built before the game shipped anywhere (according to the build date in the debug menu), so it's clear that Nintendo's Q&A team found some of the wackier stuff like swordless and rod steal.

The v1.0 original method of swordless could genuinely be hit by an unsuspecting player, too, so it's a priority to fix it.

But also, at ship time, even though these bugs come up, preventing them altogether is tricky. You can rewrite the code so that it's more stable (e.g. always make sure a sword is on the B button!), but that also might introduce new bugs (you can't use the fishing rod, or bow on epona/minigame, etc.)

In fact, some of the weird fixes they made did actually change seemingly unrelated behaviors -- there's some wacky glitches related to Ocarina Items on switches that only happen in v1.0, and it's related to a fix in a cutscene trigger.

It's a difficult balance to hit, and you have to keep in mind that it took well over 10 years before the community was able to find some of the wackier bugs like RBA, and even newer ones like Ganondoor and GIM. They did a very good job, and while the game might seem super broken, that's after countless hours of smashing it to bits. Nobody found any of these on a "normal" playthrough.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
They're basically the same cutscene but with four different camera locations and spawn points for where you end up in Hyrule Field. Just a small touch.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

I want to see a movie based on those glitches.

you just did

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
On MIPS, the signed ADD instruction generates an arithmetic overflow exceptions. The unsigned ADDU instruction simply rolls over.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I had a hunch about this with Doctor Kill on Skype, but I went ahead and double-checked in the game's code itself (I managed to find my old IDA file and disassembly notes on an old backup hard drive!).

Song of Time Blocks are effectively a puzzle item they never figured out how to use properly, probably because the game doesn't really use the Time mechanic very often, outside of the Spirit Temple. Given some of the other random engine features and comments in the game, I'm going to assume that time-swap was originally meant to be much more of a core gimmick.

Song of Time Blocks are actually exactly what they sound like. Playing the Song of Time near a Song of Time block actually transports it through time. So either they're in the adult timeline or the child timeline, and playing the Song of Time makes them switch which timeline they're in.

I don't think they ever use this mechanic, they're just disappearing blocks.

Also, DoctorKill, about the Spirit Temple, do whatever has the most hilarious dumb glitches.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Panzer Skank posted:

I absolutely cannot believe this !!! What the gently caress !! This is so unbelievable that I've been walking in a circle screaming to myself since I read this yesterday !!! The fact that they had the ability to do this and didn't actually use it to any effect you would notice in game is utterly astonishing to me !!!!!!!!!

The conventions used in the code match stuff in other unused actors. I'm betting it was one of the first puzzle elements designed, which they never figured out how to use.

There's a lot of other stuff related to time flags in RAM that not a lot else checks. There's evidence that going between time would be a late game dungeon item or a song. Time would have had a much greater influence when those elements were designed.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The same actor has to appear in both scene setups. Goron City has two different scene setups for child and adult. You can try some inside dungeons.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think there's a Song of Time block in the Forest Temple, during a block climbing puzzle. It's an odd puzzle element, not used very often. Likely because the core concepts were scrapped.

The Triforce was also in the game at some point. The leaked Debug Master Quest ROM has a lot of extra unused data, simply because the disc meant they didn't have to fit it into a cart and compress things, and it was built using the original source tree. Link's actor has slots for three Triforce upgrades. They're named that way in the Debug info. I don't know anything beyond that.

And then there's the most obvious cut, which is the Light Temple. The biggest tell is the Light Trial. I think some interview said that the Light Temple puzzle elements eventually morphed into the Tower of the Gods in Wind Waker, but someone should double check that. Outside of some weird programming about the Light Medallion and boss spawns, I haven't found anything else about it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
These blocks never change location. The way the game used them, they had two states: visible and invisible, and playing the Song of Time toggled them between those two states

What I'm saying is that those blocks in fact aren't invisible: when they're invisible, they're actually in the other timeline from Link. So if they're invisible as adult, they're instead visible in the child timeline.

So, really, in game canon, these blocks are either in the child or adult timeline, and playing the Song of Time near them transports them from/to the other timeline.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

DoctorKill posted:

So in Castle Town all the loading zones for the shops are still there, they are just blocked off by walls, and there is no known way around them. Your c buttons are disables so you can't really do any tricks. Hyrule and Ganon's castle are a weird situation, and I don't entirely know how their loading zones work so I couldn't say. For instance, if you are in Ganon's castle as child, and leave through the front entrance, you end up outside of the crawlspace to Zelda. So I don't know if that means it's the same loading zone for both or something. I guess I can try to find out.

Uh, this goes against how I understand the game. There are three separate scenes for Market (and Market Entrance / Outside Temple of Time): child day, child night, and adult. (and the Back Alley scene has day/night variants as well).

These are the only scenes with "variants". Kakariko Village, Hyrule Field just have different scene setups, but the collision mesh is the same, so exits are still there.

The exit warps from Hyrule Castle, Hyrule Field and Temple of Time have special logic to transport to you to the correct scene.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Xenoveritas posted:

It's fun to note that those scenes are weird anyway because (as far as I know) they're the only place in the game where it uses prerendered backgrounds. It's why the camera is fixed for those areas.

Most house / shop interiors use prerendered textures.

Trasson posted:

Didn't Ocarina of Time use the Mario 64 engine?

I have no idea. I imagine the code was similar, but I don't know if the base engine structure is the same.

I tried to Google for engine internals, but all I found was http://www.gotoquiz.com/sm64_modding_knowledge

I only scored 50%. I'm sorry.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Here's something I've been working on over the past few days, to mirror my Gamecube model viewer. I've been giving Doc here some preview shots, but now you can play around with it!

http://magcius.github.io/zelview.js/zelview.html

At some point I'll add the actor / collision models, but hopefully this is good enough for now. I don't display JPEG backgrounds yet (so any of the prerendered things don't work yet), and there are some issues where some textures don't get decoded properly.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

There also seems to be a minor issue with the Z-order of some rooms.

Some of the drawing commands turn off Z-depth. It normally works fine, since the engine only ever displays one room at a time. You can see the same effect with some of the water planes in the Deku Tree. There's nothing I can do, the game data is just "broken" like that.

CrazySalamander posted:

Nifty! A control list might be nice though. I found WASD for XY adjustment, and B for return to origin. Are there any others?

Hold shift to go faster. I added some instructions to the page.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

DoctorKill posted:

I'm sorry guys, that was just a goof, but I did some reflection

I hate you.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

berenzen posted:

My best guess at what happens- I'd have to take a look at the code in order to be 100% sure.

Here you go: http://spinout182.com/mqd/Boss_Tw.S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
What do you have in store for Hero Mode now that you've activated it?

• Locked thread