Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Excited for future updates of this! Reminds me of back in the day when I messed around with this sorta thing too. I had never thought of using Navi to trigger ISG though, that's pretty neat-- I always had to find a sign or something. Skype is darthnumbers, I'd be very interested in co commentary, if you're still looking.

Are you considering doing some bonus videos of Majoras Mask too? Cause there are some fun glitches, like duplicating the entire swamp on top of itself, and Fierce Diety Link shenanigans outside of boss battles, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

DoctorKill posted:

Yeah it's a really fun glitch! Like I said, recently found, back in February. I should note that it's just the red potion text box, I didn't really buy anything. Basically, the item it gives you, the text it displays, and the actual model it tries to show can all be different. There's actually a limited number of items you can get from it, sensibly and theoretically. You can't get hammer with it, which would be pretty great, although you can in the 3DS version.

Sidenote: the person who found this glitch got the world record for the speedrun like yesterday, in a route that requires the glitch. Cool little thing.

Might be fun, that's up to her though. Sorry I don't think I'll do the TAS thing, I feel like there are better people for that? I dunno.

Probably not, but maybe? I got into MM first but I definitely know less about it, and there's been a lot of neat stuff found recently that I haven't kept up with. I wish I could do a similar run as this, but I couldn't really think of an equivalent rule.

Hmm, fair point. Well there are definitely a bunch of hilarious glitches in MM, so you could end up doing it as like a bonus video?

Side note, are you going to be showing off the Ganondoor warp glitch? at some point? It's kinda against your rule because it would skip adult, but it's one of my favorite things ever to happen to the game.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
If I recall correctly, the whole "backflip and do the ocarina items glitch with a bottle out" (that you mentioned again in your extra video about bottles)= milk thing works regardless of what's on your C buttons-- I remember doing that to beat the giant jellyfish in jabu-jabu as a kid because I sucked at the game and I wanted infinite health :U

unless you already said that and I missed it

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

DoctorKill posted:

I don't think I elaborated about any of it, but it doesn't matter what's on your c buttons since it wasn't an RBA trick, it just matters what buttons you press. What I did was have a bottle with something in it (like bugs, fish, fairy) in hand, backflip, press that bottle button, then pressed the c button for an empty bottle. When you have a bottled item in hand and press it when you're in the air, link will use it when he lands, but if you take out an empty bottle in the middle of that the game doesn't know what to do, so it defaults to milk drinking. I guess for the same reason it defaults to playing the ocarina of you use sword instead of an empty bottle or something. I believe the milk drinking glitch doesn't work in version 1.0, and maybe 1.1.

What happened in the video is that I combined this action with RBA. When you do this glitch/animation with an empty B bottle the game will check to see if you have milk on the byte I'm pointing to with c-right, and if it sees there's milk (value 26) it will put half milk in that address, and on B.

Ah, okay-- I must have mixed the tricks together in my mind. Yeah if you use anything else I believe you get the Ocarina Items glitch, but with a bottle you get infinite milk. I forget the versions but I just tried it again on the gamecube and it worked ^^

Incidentally, is it crass to ask if you're still looking for co-commentators?

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

DoctorKill posted:

Not quite! It will do Ocarina Items for items that get put in Link's hand, which admittedly is most items. But for other items when you do this, the game will empty the thing you caught, but update the other item with an empty bottle. So essentially it dupes a bottle onto that item. This happens for deku nuts and the lens, but also will happen for items that you have 0 of, like bombs or sticks. Items that cause a cutscene, like the magic spells, beans, trade items, or other bottled items will cause nothing to happen.

And it's not crass, but I'm all full up right now! Sorry.

Oh right, you duplicate the bottle (I was always terrified I'd lose something important and never tried that ^^; ), Ocarina Items is always one of my favorites because of sheer sillyness.

Makes sense! If you run out of people, my skype's on the first page and I'd love to offer my soothing nerd voice to your LP.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

smokyprogg posted:

Bomb hovering is still in full force in Majora's Mask, and certain map "efficiencies" make that very exploitable as far as sequence breaks are concerned. For instance, the fairy fountains are all loaded in the same map, as well as the underground grottoes, so getting into any one with the proper explosives can allow you to emerge on the other side of the world. Most stuff with bottles is fixed, however there is certainly some weird poo poo that is possible without bottle glitches.

It's also possible to hit the placeholder owl statue in West Clock Town which puts the game in a state where it thinks you have hit a valid owl for the Song of Soaring, but there are no actual warp locations if you haven't hit any statues legitimately. This allows you to soar to the other statues depending on where your cursor last was on the inventory screen.

Like it was said, the engine is improved, so many things work better. Swordless Link is now a regular game state, so anything with that is out the window. Sequence breaky things are very much still there.

My particular favorite Majora's Mask glitch involves loading an area onto itself (Not sure if you can do it in multiple places, but the place I always did it was the swamp) using a different glitch that allows you to put on the Fierce Diety Mask outside of boss battles. The main problem with this however is you need to make sure to beat the swamp boss and get rid of the poison before you do it, because iirc the game crashes if you load the swamp with poison onto itself too many times.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Unknown Quantity posted:

It sounds similar to the glitch in Ganon's Tower wherein entering and exiting the main room with all the major visual effects causes it to stack additional instances of it. Doing it enough times causes lag and also despawns other actors in adjacent rooms as a means of trying to prevent a crash. Then again I have no idea if that's actually what they're talking about.

Let me fire up the ol' gamecube, see if I can get it recorded for you guys

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
It is done!

My poor gamecube is dead, so I improvised with Dolphin (using a copy of Zelda Collector's Edition that I dumped myself of course), please excuse the poop video quality, there isn't a good free mac screen recorder I could find, and Dolphin is sadly on my Hackintosh, rather than my laptop.

(also excuse my audio too, I don't have a fancy shmancy mic so I'm using an old turtlebeach ^^;; )

Like I said, I did not invent this glitch, but I can't for the life of my find it online anymore, so here you guys go, hope it's entertaining!

I recommend viewing in default view because holy pixels batman!

Majora's Mask: Duplicating the swamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eR8TUeMLNI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

DoctorKill posted:

I can't believe you play the gamecube version, it's a really bad port that's super unstable and can crash pretty easily. Is it holding you hostage? Say the code word if you need help.

Anyway, yeah alright I know what happens there, you just described it differently than I'm used to, and I didn't know that glitch would let you get past loading zones without triggering them. It's fundamentally the same thing I did to duplicate gold skulltulas back in Part 6. I think activating that zora glitch causes the game to think you're still where link dived so it doesn't activate the loading zone when you go through it. When you put your mask back on it 'fixes' your location (this is just a guess) and you can walk backwards through the loading zone, which will reload the actors in the area. You did say it doesn't duplicate everything and that probably depends on the properties of the actor or has something to do with the way Majora's Mask handles actors when you move between areas in the same map. I don't know for sure though.

I got the Zelda Anniversary Collection back in the day for gamecube and thought that it was The Coolest drat poo poo ever, Ocarina of Time AND Majora's Mask? Now That's What I Call Value (TM)!

(But yeah, it crashes constantly haha)

Ahh, okay, I didn't mean to show off something you already had XD

That makes sense! Yeah, it's one of my favorite things to do in MM, the whole Fierce Diety Link part of it is neat, but personally I like the silly side-effects a lot more :P

George posted:

You're allowed to swear here, by the way.

harr harr harr :P

Darth Numbers fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 29, 2015

• Locked thread