Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So those dogs were born with him.

Cerberus being the CUTEST GODDAMN THING OH GOSH almost cancels that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So those dogs were born with him.

Cerberus being the CUTEST GODDAMN THING OH GOSH almost cancels that out.

Yeah..... I'm not really sure if that's translation shenanigans or like, the writers just having no clue what birth is like? Can you imagine going into labor and going "oh oops I have accidentally given birth to dogs, instead of person! silly me haha!"

(Yeah! I actually really appreciate that cerberus is like... this adorable tiny small ball of cuteness, instead of LARGE SCARY DOG like he is in most adaptations?)

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Darth Numbers posted:

Yeah..... I'm not really sure if that's translation shenanigans or like, the writers just having no clue what birth is like? Can you imagine going into labor and going "oh oops I have accidentally given birth to dogs, instead of person! silly me haha!"

I checked up on this and at least in Innocence R they added a followup line from Spada like 'What? Even if it is reincarnation, the moment of birth must have been pretty shocking'. The fact that nobody reacts at all here just makes it weirder.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Polsy posted:

I checked up on this and at least in Innocence R they added a followup line from Spada like 'What? Even if it is reincarnation, the moment of birth must have been pretty shocking'. The fact that nobody reacts at all here just makes it weirder.

Yeah it could be a translation thing, but in the DS version at least Pwo just kinda keeps talking, and no one really questions the whole "uhhh hey that's not how birth works!" thing XD

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Does this count as :japan:?

For most games, I'd say yes, but I can't completely agree with it in this one. She and Luca actually have a really nice and thoughtful skit where they talk about body image and insecurities (I'd actually gotten it at this point, though Darth hasn't yet, so it's probably coming soon at least), so I feel like it's written fairly well and she comes across more like a character with anxiety about that kind of thing than just a stereotype. And even the characters calling her "fat" (Iria and Her) have come to terms with the fact that she isn't actually fat, she's just bigger than they are, and they are both really skinny. Yeah, I think that, if they wanted to go with that, they could have done more with her body type in her character design, but it's comparatively well-done, especially for a JRPG.

Actually, you know what? I'm a sucker for character design. Let's talk about Ange, and what parts of her design I think work for that kind of anxiety and what parts I don't.

Let's get the obvious out of the way first; she's not fat. I don't think any reasonable person would consider her fat. There are very few fat characters in JRPGs at all, even fewer who are either female or protagonists. She's not even over-weight. Not even a little bit. (Official data has her at 5'2'' and 112 lbs I think? Something like that, anyway.) So Innocence gets some major :japan: points for that. However, if we look at her attire, we can see that they did put some thought into showing off her body image issues, and it wasn't something they just tacked on for the sake of a trope.

First, and before I break it down, she is wearing a lot of layers, so actually determining the shape of her body is a little more difficult than say, Hermana or Iria, who both have fairly tight shirts that show some stomach. Hell, I think we'd have an easier time red-lining the shape of our boys' bodies than her. (Maybe not Ricardo, though, he wears a lot of layers too.) Minus points in this regard for that slit in her capelette, though. We can tell that her waist doesn't go past that point, since we can't see it through the slit, so while there is some ambiguity to her body, it's still. You know. Pretty obvious.

Second, and continuing to be before I break down individual pieces of her outfit, all the layers of her clothing are poofy and drapey, in a way that is hiding her figure. Again, I think they coulda pushed that farther, but still. Her skirt is big, her capelette drapes, and her sleeves are loose.

Now, let's get a little more detailed. First, her collar. It's a high collar with ruffles, and basically covers her neck and part of her chin. It's there to hide whatever double-chin she thinks she has and totally doesn't actually. Next, the capelette is large enough to obscure pretty much her entire torso. As I've said before, this is used to hide her waist and bust. Her waist-coat(?? shirt??) is designed to do much the same for her thighs and back, as it hangs down and doesn't cling. And then her skirt, as I've said, is poofy, hiding the shape of her legs. The conveniently placed bows also serve to divert the eye from the parts of herself she's not as comfortable with.

Of course, the entire thing also fits really well with her being from the Church, as she dresses in a pretty reserved manner which is what you'd expect from someone in her line of business.

So, basically, what I'm saying here is that her design in part coincides with her anxiety about her body image, but they could have done much more with it. Make her a little rounder, get rid of the capelette slits so we really can't tell what her torso looks like, etc. But they weren't completely thoughtless with it, at least.

So I guess Innocence gets a 1/2 :japan: for her weight thing. A You-Coulda-Done-Better-But-You-Coulda-Done-A-Lot-Worse award.

Sorry, I get excited about character designs.

Also, I think the gifs are a great idea. This LP is pretty image heavy (as if I'm one to talk, ahahaha), so having the gifs can lighten the load a little. They also show off battle flow a lot better, since combat is pretty fast-paced.

Also, also, Cerberus is adorable and squeaky. I wish they made merch for this game, I'd love a little Cerberus sitting on my desk.

And finally, a little late on this, but I'm really happy you included a video of Hasta's fight, because his VA is astounding.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a Tales tradition of giving the characters swimsuits and other costumes?

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a Tales tradition of giving the characters swimsuits and other costumes?

I can't say for the early ones, but I know from the PS2 onward it's been sort of like a tradition. Nothing shows you're more intimidating and ready to face the Big Bad than flashy trunks and frilly bikinis, after all.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

yokaiy posted:

[A lot of really really cool analysis!]

Also, I think the gifs are a great idea. This LP is pretty image heavy (as if I'm one to talk, ahahaha), so having the gifs can lighten the load a little. They also show off battle flow a lot better, since combat is pretty fast-paced.

Also, also, Cerberus is adorable and squeaky. I wish they made merch for this game, I'd love a little Cerberus sitting on my desk.

And finally, a little late on this, but I'm really happy you included a video of Hasta's fight, because his VA is astounding.

Whoa, thank you so much for this analysis! The character designs in Innocence are some of my favorites among the Tales games (Tales Of has a penchant for either really cool or really dumb outfits, with lots and lots of bias tape), even though it's a DS game, you can tell all the outfits and designs are just cool, and show a lot about the characters as we can see here about Ange! My favorite character design is definitely Spada's, so I try to get close up shots of him if I can, but Ange is a very close second, as she's definitely my favorite girl. Ange waifu for laifu.

Yeah combat is one of the things I was most worried about not being translated correctly into a SSLP format, especially since normal Tales Of combat is fast paced, but Innocence is specifically fast paced. I actually had no idea VirtualDub can just convert .avi to gif, like entirely easy and for free! It worked really well, I'm super happy with how that turned out.

I would love to have a little Cerberus plush, or a Durandal keychain, etc etc. I think they might have made /some/ merch for the Vita rerelease, but the game never really took off like the other mothership titles, sadly.

(And Hasta's voice is so good! The way he talks is really, really neat, and I love the weird poo poo he says (Which makes me wonder how difficult it was to translate his manner of speaking, as far as I know the translation team didn't do a whole lot of localizing and mostly just translated it faithfully.), I've said it before but you can definitely see a bit of Zagi or that girl from Xillia in him.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Digital Jello posted:

I can't say for the early ones, but I know from the PS2 onward it's been sort of like a tradition. Nothing shows you're more intimidating and ready to face the Big Bad than flashy trunks and frilly bikinis, after all.

Most of the mothership titles have different costumes and such, based on a Title system where you can give your characters titles to change their stats and other things. They recently have moved in the direction of DLC (buy this title and it lets you dress up as a different Tales character!), for instance in the PS3 version of Vesperia, you could buy titles to dress up the sniper character as Ricardo, and he'd gain one of Ricardo's moves. In the later games (Xillia 2 comes to mind), DLC titles also change in game battle music, etc etc.

Anyway, the beach costume is really common as a title in games from I think Symphonia on, so PS2 era to now.

Innocence has no Titles or outfits because it uses the Styles system (and remains the only game to use this system), and I suspect they just didn't bother with titles because of graphics restraints-- Innocence R on the Vita has titles though, you can have Luca wear a costume that makes him look just like Asura, but with Luca's head, it's kind of awesome :P

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Hey guys, just a quick note that I'll be at AAC this weekend, so this next update's gonna be a bit delayed! On the other hand, if you happen to be at AAC and see someone who you think is probably me, say hi, I'll be some variety of Ocelot most of the weekend!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Darth Numbers posted:

Hey guys, just a quick note that I'll be at AAC this weekend, so this next update's gonna be a bit delayed! On the other hand, if you happen to be at AAC and see someone who you think is probably me, say hi, I'll be some variety of Ocelot most of the weekend!

America Airlines Center? Another Anime Convention? Advanced Armament Corp? Dressing up as Ocelot could technically fit any of them!

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

thetruegentleman posted:

America Airlines Center? Another Anime Convention? Advanced Armament Corp? Dressing up as Ocelot could technically fit any of them!

Another Anime Convention, but Advanced Audio Codec could work as well!

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
This is about as far as I ever got before my interest started to wane and I played other stuff.

Love the party of wimpy demon lord, sword bro, gunslinger girlfriend, klepto priestess, sniper dad, and 10 year old dragon mom though.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Rogue Lemon posted:

This is about as far as I ever got before my interest started to wane and I played other stuff.

Love the party of wimpy demon lord, sword bro, gunslinger girlfriend, klepto priestess, sniper dad, and 10 year old dragon mom though.

Yeah, Tales games have always been strong on characters, pretty fun on battles, but dull on villains and plots: I'd bet money that whatever demon-lord-of-the-day is the big bad here could have been stopped in the past with an apology and a hug. The exceptions to this (usually the minor bad guys) are either irredeemably crazy or badly written attempts at making sympathetic villains ("All I wanted to do was marry my sister, and kill everyone who got in my way. Was that so wrong? WAS IT?!?" "...um...yeah. You really wanted to destroy the world over *that*? What the hell is *wrong* with you?")

So it's easy to understand why a person who stops playing a Tales finds it hard to resume.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 19, 2015

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

thetruegentleman posted:

Yeah, Tales games have always been strong and characters, pretty fun on battles, but dull on villains and plots: I'd bet money that whatever demon-lord-of-the-day is the big bad here could have been stopped in the past with an apology and a hug. The exceptions to this (usually the minor bad guys) are either irredeemably crazy or badly written attempts at making sympathetic villains ("All I wanted to do was marry my sister, and kill everyone who got in my way. Was that so wrong? WAS IT?!?" "...um...yeah. You really wanted to destroy the world over *that*? What the hell is *wrong* with you?")

So it's easy to understand why a person who stops playing a Tales finds it hard to resume.

Hey now, that particular villain wanted to destroy *two* worlds over that :P (If I'm thinking of the right one)

To be fair, there have been some Tales villains that were pretty well written (Vesperia's villain, Xillia's villain, for some reason I remember Phantasia's villain being cool but that game is missing from my mind for some reason... Destiny's villain was cool!)

But yeah, unfortunately Tales games seem to have a habit for skimping on their villain characterizations, and Innocence isn't really an exception.

As a side note, I messed up my elbow pretty bad last night at a concert (Anime convention into Front Bottoms concert-- I know, my life is glamorous). Hopefully it isn't broken, but I'll keep you guys posted with regards to an update, hopefully next update can get rolled out as soon as possible.

EDIT: Good news everyone! It's only a chip fracture, which means I'll be able to make this update if it's the last thing I do, dammit! Coming soon!

Darth Numbers fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 24, 2015

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 19

Hello folks! I'm still alive! Currently writing up this update with a fractured elbow, but NOTHING WILL STOP THIS UPDATE! Except well, real life and most other things that usually stop updates. But never fear, we're going to jump right back into Innocence land!

As with most fungeons in this game, we have to walk all the way back to the beginning ourselves, but I'll spare you guys that.

Back to town we go.

Her, what's wrong? That was a heavy sigh.

Well I was thinkin' bout it an' Chien was all alone even in his past life.

Was he?

He had to chase everybody off to protect the Manifest, right? Musta had a pretty lonely life.

That's true... that loneliness must've been part of the reason he came to depend on Mathias...

It seems as though promising to protect the animals was all it took. That is the oldest trick in the holy book.

I think that's a neat line.

Is it really?

First, you have to understand exactly what it is the person desires. Once you can convince them that joining will allow them to acquire it, you have them right where you want them.

Heh, that's why I never trust you Church types.

We do what we must. You cannot force someone to believe.

Why do you want more believers?

My, that is a simple, yet profound question. I can answer that in a variety of ways.

What's the simple answer?

Then how about a more complicated answer?

Hmmm... I think it would be easier to understand if you experienced it yourself.

I'll think about it...

...Our next destination is Tenos. We have to get there by way of Regnum.

Is that really safe?

He's got a point, we better keep our eyes open.

No worries, we can always use my hidin' place, hear?

You know, that was my hiding place originally...

Off we go to Regnum! What a good time for an update on other characters, right?

!!! UH OH A SPY

Sorry bout that, these scenes are always really screenshot heavy.

Heh, didn't expect to be back here so soon...

Ugh... I got sick again...

Seriously, ya ain' got no stomach for this. Ya know we're jus' getting' straight on another ship, right?

We change ships here, right Ricardo?

Shall we spend some time in the city, then?

We might as well... we'll reassemble at the harbor when it's time.

Then why don't we see the city?

That sly dog.

Right on.

….....

Ricardo, is something the matter?

...No, it's nothing.

Uhh, sounds like something to me.

I see. Shall we go?

At this point, we can walk around and stock up on supplies, but I'm good on items for the time being. Let's go advance the plot!

Thank the gods. Now I don't have to get seasick again!

….! No, it's here...

Don't move! You're all under arrest!

No, you'd best not move.

I had always believed that you were someone who would honor your contract...

Huh? No kiddin'? Ol' man Ricardo, yer the worst...

Impostor! Traitor!

I won't forgive you for this...

I found something more important than my contract. That's all there is to it. This is how the world works. Surrender.

://////

I'd at least like to hear your reason.

...Gardel is my older brother. In the Devic Era, that is.

Remember Gardel?

Gardel is Thanatos?

Cue the Persona fans going wild.

...I see. It would seem this is a rather complicated situation. Regardless, I will continue to believe in you.

Mathias! So you're behind this!

I was behind this? You attacked my Arca brethren and have been deemed fugitives by the Rehabilitation Program. You have brought shame on all Avatars.

Sorry for the change in art style on Marthia's icon-- not a whole lot of art of her.

These are grave charges. By the authority granted to Arca, I submit you to the Inquisition.

uh oh

The Inquisition?! A rising organization like Arca could never have that kind of authority...

Girl, let me make this simple. Our organization is backed by the Privy Council. Do you know what that means?

The Privy Council.... so the rumors were true. There is nothing we can do.

I will now pass judgment. You are to be sent to Grigori Village, where you will be confined.

Fellow Avatar... so you really are the Overlord! What do you plan to do with the Manifest!?

Haha. Perhaps I will tell you one day.

I'll tell you when you're older!

Now, your ship has arrived!

H-hey! Let me go! Get the hell off me!

Fade to black, and Ricardo leaves our party.

Uh, it very clearly just said “Grigori Village”, buddy.

We've come a long way... It's gotten colder.

You're free to do as you please, but try to refrain from causing trouble. Your Devic Artes have been sealed.

Hah! How very kind of you. You gonna retire to Galpos with all that money you made?

Spada, this is no time to point fingers.

I hear what yer sayin' but the ol' man sold us out, hear?

...Say what you like. The village is nearby. Get moving.

Who the hell do you think you are!? Don't push your luck!!

Stop right there! Fight me!!

COME AT ME BRUH

Anyway, let's go talk to people in town.

Most of these people are plain old rude.

This sucks! Do they really have to make us feel like total outsiders?

Yeah, of course. But that may really depend on him...

What are you planning to do? I would like to hear what you have to gain from confining the others.

What? Is that even possible? I believe you guaranteed that their lives would not be put in danger.

...probably,

Why use such extreme measures when you could just allow them to remember naturally and question them later? There is no need for surgery.

But...

uhh

...I disagree.

…..

I really like this shot right here.

My, if it isn't the esteemed Mister Ricardo. I do hope this day finds you well.

...rear end in a top hat. I'll at least give you credit for not running off.

Now then, Ricardo. Do you have some business with us?

I just wanted to see how everyone was doing.

As you can see, we're fine. By the way... how long do you think that we're going to be held here?

No way!

Screw that!!

Let's talk for a bit. I've had a meal prepared.

Ricardo is both the good cop and the bad cop.

What's going to happen to us?

Obviously we'll just waste the rest of our lives away!

In the end, I couldn't rise to my father's expectations... He always hoped that I would carry on the family business...

Luca no offense but literally who cares

So what? At least you had some kinda purpose...

Spada, you came from a family of knights, did you not? Was that hard on you?

I had a bunch of older brothers. By the time they got around to me, they didn't really care what I did.

Really? Then there was no way for you to become a knight?

Well, odds were pretty slim.

That really suits you. What about you, Iria?

Well, you know I grew up in a poor frontier village, right? There's nothing there, so we never got a proper education. So I was thinking, maybe I could build a school there someday. I'd be the principal!

Heh, you? Principal? That doesn't fit you at all!

Don' ya like, gotta study a ton to do that?

It requires quite a bit of hard work.

Shut up! Luca, maybe I'll hire you as teacher.

That could be nice, but I really want to become a doctor.

Inheriting the family business wouldn't be so bad either. What about you, Ange?

Let me think... I think retiring to a small church out in the countryside might be nice.

I would prefer the sort of place that grows lively during its seasonal festivals. Oh, it would be nice if there were hot springs there. A quaint village in the wine country, perhaps...

Pretty down to earth... Settin' aside the hotsprings and the wine, if that's your dream, you can totally make it happen.

Y'all're amazin'. I ain' even thought 'bout my future.

Then why don't you come enroll in my school?

Hmm... both sound pretty good... Guess the big question's if Iria's school's gonna ante up with lunches or not.

Hey, remember this character? Me neither, because he's terrible and useless.

Whatcha' doin', Coda?

Ya' went an' ate too much.... Huh? I'm getting' sleepy too...

Thunk.

…...

Get them to the operating room. We're going to extract all of their memories.... Uhohohohoh...

Yes sir!

What happened?!

Where are we? Another ship...

I suppose I have a lot of explaining to do.

…..!! W-what happened to everyone? They're still alive, right?

…....The hell? Oh, it's just Luca... keep it down, would you?

…..The ground is shaking.... ugh! We're on a boat!

What's the deal?

….Everyone, I apologize. I used you.

Keep talkin'. That ain't gonna cut it.

I told you that Gardel was Thanatos, right? I realized it the instant I saw him in Naos Base.

Then it was just after your contract with me? I do not recall you ever leaving my side.

No... I just wanted to know what his true intentions were.

I had so many questions.

Since ya bailed us out, guess ol' Gardel ain' the guy ya thought he was, right?

…..Indeed. The brother I once knew is no where to be found. His excessive love for Naraka has caused him to suspect everyone and everything of seeking its destruction.

What did Gardel plan to do with us?

He was going to extract your memories with force.

Excuse me?

Apparently it's possible if you don't care what happens to the person after the fact.

Twisted.... so that's why they took us so far from Regnum? Was that Arca chick workin' with him too?

That's why she had all of you taken to the Grigori.

But in the end, you protected us, did you not?

I apologize. I'll say it as many times as you'd like. I finally understand now, until we do something about the Manifest, there will be no future for us Avatars.

I know what you're trying to say, but what are we supposed to do? It all seems so hopeless...

Just as planned, we make for Tenos. Animi, you're dreaming of building a school, right? Don't give up.

!!...You were listening?

Milda's dream of becoming a doctor and making his parents proud.... Belforma's desire to overcome his setbacks and live life honestly... Serena's steady path, Larmo's uncertain future filled with endless possibilities...

No one has the right to stand between you and your dreams!

Ricardo...

Never let go of them. Brats should grow up chasing their dreams. I just want to help you on your way, that's all there is to it...

W-well you DID apologize, so I guess we can forgive you.

More than anything, I can't afford to pay the breach of contract. This job came with quite a reward, afterall.

I would be quite upset if you tried to return it.

So we're one big happy family again? Good times.

Our next destination is Tenos... after we stop in Mamut.

Mamut is on the border of Tenos and Regnum, right? Why are we going there?

The war is worse than ever. The sea route has been completely blockaded, we'd be sunk before we even got close.

Then we'll be traveling by land from Mamut, right?

Correct. Also, I grabbed whatever looked useful from the Grigori. We should prepare while there's still time.

There's a bunch of items once we regain control, then we can talk to our party members.

What makes you say that?

Well, I doubt most people could've continued believing in Ricardo given the circumstances.

Hmm... I do not believe I am worthy of praise.

Why not?

It was a bit underhanded. If I had not said that, even if he came back, no one would have defended him, right?

So you were just pretending to believe in him? That is a little underhanded...

However, he did come back. He did not forget about his agreement with me. So in the end, I made the correct decision.

So you were thinking of how Ricardo would feel when he came back? I'm not sure I could have done that...

Have you ever needed to accomplish something so badly that you would lie to yourself?

I think that is wonderful. Luca, you should be proud to live honestly without having to lie to yourself.

That almost makes it sound like it's okay to ignore everyone else as long as you're happy...

S-sure.

Now onto Spada.

Hey, Spada.

Yo, what's up?

Hey. I got no clue what yer' talkin' about. Ain't like it's hard to guess though. Ricardo, right?

Yeah...

Well, I'm still kinda pissed.

Slow down! Ain't you ever had to deal with somebody you hated?

Oh, I-I don't have anyone.

The hell? Are you stupid? Dumbass. You're a real stupid pain in the rear end.

Am.. I?

Now listen, I don't know about anybody else, but I don't go around worryin' about likin' or hatin' everybody I meet!

He did his part... but you're still angry at him?

Whether I like him or not ain't really a big deal. What's important is... you know, how you really feel.

Hermana.

Her, are you okay?

Ya' really oughta worry 'bout yourself 'fore ya worry 'bout me.

Why?

I'm just fine. Really, you're such a worrywart.

Maybe yer right... I prolly get it from Vrtra.

Guess that's why, huh? Always used to wonder why even when I was in bad shape, I'd try to look out for the other orphans, see?

Was it tough?

Well, sorta... Guess if I had to pick, I'd say I like getting' spoiled more than I like lookin' after others. Ya wouldn' guess it with how I'm always takin' care of people, right?

Right now there are lots of people who would love pamper you.

Yeah... this line was mistranslated I think? That's literally what it says. ^^;

Naw, its jus' no good. Ain' like I can count on you an' Ria. Lu' ya don' know how to care for nobody, so how can ya spoil me? An' Ria plays too rough.

Um?

I can see how Ange might be a problem, but surely Ricardo and Spada could care for you?

An' it ain' real easy to approach Ricardo... He's got this whole anti-emotional aura goin' on.

I see...

Don' go gettin' all depressed... Man, now yer the one gettin' spoiled...

Ricardo.

Go on.

You say the war is getting worse. What happened?

The most likely cause would be an alliance between Tenos and Garam. By working together, Tenos and Garam can disperse Regnum's military power.

Are things... looking bad for Regnum?

Not necessarily, but they certainly aren't looking good. Tenos is a technological superpower, afterall.

Exactly. The technology behind the locomotive was originally developed by Tenos. They cooperated with Regnum to develop the technology further and lay the track.

Is that true?

Who knows? That's for the winner to decide. A rather uninteresting discussion, don't you agree?

T-that's not true. I thought it was quite interesting.

Hmph. I betrayed you, and yet you still go to the trouble of worrying about my feelings?

Huh? No, it wasn't like...

...I'm grateful. You must've been angry too, right?

W-well, maybe a little bit...

Haha! You're honest. You may be one of the few people in the world worth believing in.

T-thanks.

Iria now.

You got that right! I thought we were going to waste our lives away on that rock!

I-I didn't think it was such a bad place...

Hmmm.... Is it really important if things are interesting or not?

Excuse me? Of course it matters! What are you talking about?

If I could think about things in such clear terms like you do, I wonder if I could become more positive.

Hmmm... It's probably impossible for you.

…......

Yep! To be honest, when Arca chased me out of my village, I was so hopeless... I thought it was all over for me. But I figured nothing would come from being depressed about it. You always have to look at the bright side.

(I hope I can learn to think more like her...)

Phew. Now that we're done with all that, who wants to fight a boss??

!!

drat.

Hmph. You're no different from the others who seek the Manifest. You're nothing but the shadow of the man I called my brother.

How long do you intend to make Naraka your scapegoat?

Wait, Thanatos! Our goals are the same! We have to get to the Manifest before Arca or the Privy Council! Can't we work together?

It would appear that nothing of Thanatos remains in you...

In that case, why don't we take care of you first? A flashy send-off is the least we can do as fellow Avatars.

Then that would make him... a god...

Heh, a god, huh? We sure know how to make enemies!

I knew we shouldn't take him lightly, but this is a bit more than I expected...

He's coming!

:siren: Gardel Fight :siren:

As you can see, Gardel is kind of a pain in the rear end. Especially without Ange (I switched her for Iria in this battle for some reason, which was kind of a bad call BECAUSE GUESS WHAT)

...It would seem I'm still too soft. I don't believe my gun's trigger has ever felt as heavy as it does today.

Man, this is totally going to come back and bite us.

It will be all right. Our goals are not so different. Surely we can find a way to cooperate. Wouldn't you agree, Mister Gardel?

...The hell? What's that noise?

Whuh oh

It's flying...

Gardel! Your day in the sun has passed! You want us to protect Naraka? We should be using our power to get rich and rule others!

Lord Oswald will lead us to places you've never dreamed of! The time has come for our people to emerge from the shadows!

WHUH OH

Gardel!

You'll be joining him soon enough!

Silence!!

Yup, back to back boss battles!

:siren: ]Gigantess Fight :siren:

Aaaand there we go! This boss is a huge pain in the rear end as well, but we got it covered. I'm gonna stop here, sorry for the long delay on this update! Make sure to check out the update 19 skits, and see you next time! Also fun fact, this was update 19, and it was 19 pages long on openoffice. Yay!

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 19 Skits

About Regional Beliefs

Guild Skit
So you get this skit from doing a certain amount of guild missions (Which I've been doing off screen because they're grindy mcgrinderson.

Extra Services

Oh boy, this is a good one.

Nostalgia

Imprisoned? No Thanks!

Ricardo, that bastard...

Why would Ricardo do this?

So that was Mathias...

Arca and the Privy Council

Devic Point of View

Ange and I, 5

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

This part of the game actually made me like Ricardo less. I was suspicious of him from the start coming off the heels of Tales of Symphonia and all that Kratos nonsense. And when this happened it cemented my idea of him being the designated traitor of the game. Of course, that ended up being subverted later and that REALLY caught me off guard. Like Spada, I don't think I ever really ended up forgiving Ricardo, but I can see why he'd still be liked even after this.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Alxprit posted:

This part of the game actually made me like Ricardo less. I was suspicious of him from the start coming off the heels of Tales of Symphonia and all that Kratos nonsense. And when this happened it cemented my idea of him being the designated traitor of the game. Of course, that ended up being subverted later and that REALLY caught me off guard. Like Spada, I don't think I ever really ended up forgiving Ricardo, but I can see why he'd still be liked even after this.

Yeah, having a traitor in every game feels way overdone: while it's not so bad here, since it helps establish Ricardo's feelings (he's not so separated from his Devic self after all), this whole segment still feels more like a tick in a development checkbox than an organic extension of the game's plot.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Well... that's rather creepy, Luca.

Also, you wrote "fungeons."

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

Well... that's rather creepy, Luca.

Also, you wrote "fungeons."

I'm aware, it's because they aren't in fact fun : P

As for the trope of the Traitor, it sort of grew on me after Symphonia because each game has their own little twist on it And yes, Innocence's twist on it is really cool. I wanna say it started with Destiny or Destiny 2, but it can be a little annoying when each game feels the need to have a betrayal, I still sort of like it though.

Ricardo's betrayal here seems genuine-- we see him as aloof and above his former self, but it turns out he cares just as much as anyone else. It doesn't come through very well without a gif (and I just didn't end up adding the extra ones in), but when he pulls his gun on the party at the beginning of the update, and when he has his gun out on Gardel at the very end, his arms shake and he can't hold the gun still. I like that he clearly isn't sure of what he's doing-- he's used to taking money and completing his job and not asking or caring to ask questions, but when he has to hold his friends and then his brother (not just an Avatar, his actual brother!) at gunpoint, he's unsure and can't keep his arms from shaking.

It does feel a little out of place with the games plot to devote a big section to Ricardo's character development, but I dig it ^^

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
Ugh. So, there are good ways and bad ways to do betrayal in a story. It's an easy way to introduce dramatic tension, or redefine relationships, or show character growth.

Ricardo's 20 minutes playing for the bad guys pretty much hits 0 for 3 here, touching just a little bit on his motivations. You get, what, a skit and a little bit of dialogue for each party member? Please tell me they aren't going to be done with this and then never bring it back up again?

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Hey guys, sorry for the non update post, just wanted to let you guys know I'm gonna be finishing up the next update tomorrow, apologies for the wait. Without getting into too much detail, a classmate of mine died recently and the whole campus has been recovering and there's been a lot going on (isn't there always?). I appreciate you guys staying tuned, hopefully we'll have this update rolled out ASAP. Sorry these updates have been few and far between, maybe someday we'll get something resembling a frequent schedule!

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 20

When we last left off, we had just beaten Metal Gear RE-- I mean, Gigantess Z. Sorry this update took so long but on the plus side, we're almost done with the game! Including the double header dungeon coming up in this update, we have around 4 dungeons left, and the secret guild dungeon. Stay tuned!

No. If Ricardo would mourn his loss, I am certain that he was a good person.

Gardel probably spent more time thinkin' about what was best for Naraka than any of us ever did...

…..Mamut has come... into view...

Oh, you're right.

We have to pass through the battlefield soon. The land route is going to be very tough.

We'll make it no matter what! Ricardo, you hang in there too!

Yeah, you got that right. Don't go croak on us now, old man.

Hmph... Underestimate me, will you? I'll beat the truth of the battlefield into you brats.

I hate tirin' stuff...

It'll be all right, Her.

This is why we don't let little girls on the battlefield.

Geez, lighten up will you?

Let's head for Mamut.

And here we are.

That's right. This city is on the border of Tenos and Regnum. Because of past disputes, an unwritten rule was established.

Really? I once heard that this city was a business powerhouse.

Since the city is independent, they don't have to worry about high taxes. As a result, the businesses thrive.

Man, enough talkin'... I'm starvin'!

Food isn't a bad idea, we should buy what we need while we're here.

To the north lies a battlefield. We have a long journey ahead of us. Let's make sure we have everything we need.

We're free to roam the town, I'm going to stock up on supplies and get some new equipment while I'm at it.

For a second there, I thought we'd never reach Tenos.

This is the last lead we have from the references. I only hope that we recall something about the Manifest.

We gotta hurry up and find that thing before we have to deal with any more of these annoyin' bastards.

Seriously. Can' take much more of this.

All right, let's get moving. We're the only ones who can restore peace to this world.

Bold words from Luca.

An' restore our peace of mind...

Anyway, let's go enter the next dungeon.

This must be Lemures Marsh. The battlefield is beyond here. Be sure to conserve your stamina.

Whoooo wants a double dungeon??

...What is this odd feeling?

Ange, is something wrong?

….It is nothing.

So here we are in a creepy marsh. The enemies here are all zombie soldiers-- very spooky!

Corpses are coming after us... impossible...

Luca isn't very genre savvy.

Judging by their uniforms, we can safely assume that these are soldiers who died in battle.

Guess that means the front is further north. This ain't lookin' good. This marsh is full of dead soldiers.

So this place is covered in the walkin' dead? What a downer.

Indeed.

I wonder if this is a result of the Fall... I have a bad feeling about this.

As usual, its a big maze full of enemies, but at least we know how to make yakisoba.

Save point means boss nearby! Eventually!

Stay on your guard...

The hell is this thing?!

T-the corpses are gathering together!

This is...

Serena, pay attention! It's coming!

Boss time!

:siren: Zombie Boss Fight :siren:

I'm a little bit overleveled for this fight, plus it's not super hard in the first place. First dungeon, down!

! Y-you must be...

Ruh roh.

It's still movin' get back, Ange!

No, please stay you hand.

These aren't Avatars?

No... by reaping human souls, Devaloka ensured that its cycle of rebirth would continue.

I ain' followin'. Ya' mean they ain' human?

Now go be at peace. The warm, beautiful land beyond awaits you.

Geez.

It is as you say. Powerless though I may be, I will devote my all to your salvation, Lord Himmel. I have gained the favor of Commander Asura of the Sensus. I am considering proposing an alliance to him.

If you do something like that, you'll be branded a traitor! I won't allow it.

What are you saying?! Of what value is my pride in comparison to your life? I swear to you that I will return with Master Asura to save you.

Forgive me, Orifiel...

Himmel...

Hey, Ange! What's wrong?

Ah! N-nothing.

The souls returned to the land... why?

Maybe they didn't have anywhere else to go since Devaloka is gone.

So instead they descended to Naraka? That's conceivable...

Insert a Princess Bride joke here.

But didn't those corpses sound like they were still on Devaloka?

...Huh? Weird, I feel like I'm 'bout to remember somethin'... Devaloka... we're on Devaloka... no? But... mumble... mumble...

Her', why are you actually saying “mumble”?

I was tryin' to make it seem like I was thinkin' real hard.

Anyway, off to dungeon two.

Do you think the marsh is the only place that was affected?

Who knows? Anyway, let's keep movin'. We're crossin' a battlefield next, so heads up.

But that doesn't give you an excuse to be clueless. Be aware of your surroundings.

Now this dungeon is actually kinda fun, because you can walk straight out into the boss! There's no stupid maze shenanigans, just some extra items to pick up along the way.

The war on Devaloka went on for what seemed like ages. There was truly no end in sight.

Yup. 'Course, then Asura put an end to it. He was a good kid, that Asura.

It wasn't just me. Vrtra, Durandal, Inanna, Sakuya, even Orifiel played important roles.

God, it's like flashback central over here.

I decided to cast aside the Ratio and live together with Asura. This war will soon be at its end.

The people cast down to Naraka will return to Devaloka, as Asura wishes. I wish to remain by Asura's side, but at this rate...

Hmm, is there something wrong, Inanna? You look rather pale.

N-n-no, it is nothing you need concern yourself with.

You have my thanks. I had concerns that you were feeling down recently, but perhaps I was merely overthinking things.

Indeed, please focus your attention on the matters at hand.

W-w-w-what do you want, Dimwit Luca!?

Oh, um, that is... I was worried that you weren't feeling well again.

Oh, yeah, thank... Whatever! Quit worrying about me so much!

I-if you say so...

(….I feel like I'm about to remember something.)

Oh look, this rear end in a top hat again.

Come one, come all! The show's about to start. With a resounding “Heeeeeere's Johnny”, our hero appears.

Heeeere's a reference!

Oh? I recall this vocal pattern and body odor... Might you be Ibra Himovic?

If his incorrect names are a reference to something, I don't know what it is.

That is totally and completely incorrect!

Why?

Why?!.. I... you... Augh!!

Iria, think of your blood pressure.

Ain' easy playin' the straight man, huh?

Hey, mush-for-brains! You're goin' down here and now!

Pardon me, dear! Your name escapes me. May I call you Stuttering Stan? Your banter could certainly use a touch of polish.

My patience wears thin. I suppose there's only one way to shut you up once and for all.

I have a debt to repay as well... I won't forgive you for what you did to me, Hasta!

My my my, what a bold, resounding curse. Unfortunately, your shoes and clothes don't match, so it's the gallows for you.

Oh no, how dreadful... And on a completely different note, let's get started. It's blood-feeding time.

Uh... okay?

….

I believe he's saying, “come fight me”.

That's more like it, you ain' leavin' here alive!!

And, let's fight Hasta again! This fight is actually kind of tough, I'm playing on Mania in an attempt to get him to use his Mystic Arte, but forgot he doesn't have one x.x This is kind of a tough fight, but I spammed my Mystic Artes and it wasn't so bad.

:siren: Hasta Fight, Again! :siren:

Dammit, you'll pay for... GAH!!!

This is the last time I'll have to see you.

Okay, time's up. Let's go home.

drat it! I thought we finally had him!

Who was he referring to?

It has to be Oswald... he's up to something, and he's using Hasta to do it.

It seems we'll be forced to deal with him another day.

And that's the update, folks! I know it was a long wait for a short update but we're getting into endgame here, so the next few updates are gonna be full of tasty exposition! Remember to check out the update 20 skits, and thank you for tuning in!

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 20 skits

About the War Situation

Him again...

Ange and I 6

Gardel's Descent

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Darth Numbers posted:

Ange and I 6

Ange is 20 years old and she thinks she's getting old? :japan:

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

Ange is 20 years old and she thinks she's getting old? :japan:

Okay so this was mentioned but what on earth does :japan: mean?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Japan has all these tropes and cliches that seem/are really silly, but are used regardless, and there are really egregious ones where the only thing we can say is "Japan".

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 1, 2015

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

Japan has all these tropes and cliches that seem/are really silly, but are used regardless, and there are really egregious ones where the only thing we can say is "Japan".

ohh, gotcha!

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
It's also just a jrpg trope in general to have a very young, incredibly competent party. The Tales series is actually pretty good about this, throwing in a token +25 adult alongside its token little girls... though I think it's been an older man in every single instance. Sorry ladies!

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Rogue Lemon posted:

It's also just a jrpg trope in general to have a very young, incredibly competent party. The Tales series is actually pretty good about this, throwing in a token +25 adult alongside its token little girls... though I think it's been an older man in every single instance. Sorry ladies!

Yeah, in Symphonia we had most of the party actually older than our main character-- Raine, Kratos, Regal, etc. Vesperia the token old guy is Raven, (though Yuri is 21 iirc), Innocence it's Ricardo and Ange, Abyss would probably be Jade, etc etc. Now that you mention it, I'm not sure there's a lot of older women who are main characters (or even relevant) in Tales games...

EDIT: I'm still here I swear! Finals and juries have ruined my time but I'm still plugging away, we're in the home stretch of updates so expect the update asap, we're almost done with the game!

Darth Numbers fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 15, 2015

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 21

Last we left off, we beat up hasta! …again!

We are here at last. First, we should gather as much information as we can about the city.

Be careful, Serena. Don't forget that Albert was after you. He has the home field advantage in Tenos.

Oh, my, you are quite right. I had almost forgotten.

Ah-ah-achoo!! S-so cold...

drat, I wish I'd brought a coat.

Okay, so this implies they have other clothes. I know its JRPG stuff that they wear the same clothes every day, but can you imagine poor Hermana freezing to death over here? I guess Ricardo's got layers on layers, so he should be alright.

Sure is a lively city for such a cold place. Wonder what foods they got to eat 'round here!

This city is on the cutting edge of steam engine technology. It's home to many engineers and the coal is plentiful.

I don't care 'bout all that stuff. Jus' tell me 'bout the food already!

The local stews are famous for being the best thing to warm you up after coming in from the bitter cold.

Is there a drinking age in Tales of Innocence? Is it for some reason the same as in Japan? This raises so many questions, do they card in Innocence? Does Hermana have some sort of ID? Considering they're all on the run, and Hermana's an orphan, she probably doesn't have an ID right? Ricardo probably has some sort of military identification, Ange probably has some church thing, Spada and Luca are rich so I can see how they'd have Ids I guess? Why is there a drinking age??

I knew Angie'd know what's what. Ya ain' our champion eater for nothin'.

Hmm? Really? I always thought you were the champion, Her.

It's Ange, right?

Yeah, it's Ange.

A-a-ahahahaha. Well, you know the old saying, “Food is it's own reward.”

I've never heard that, who said it?

I have said it for the past five years or so...

Is this an appropriate time for the “japan” emoticon?

We're looking for an Altar, or a stone monument, or anything related to an ancient place of worship.

So now we're in Tenos, which like all cold places in video games, is probably just Russia. Also, one of the NPCs calls us out on our clothing.

As soon as we walk any further though, we're ambushed by cutscene.

In other words, they're searching for something.

It was east of the city, right? Should we check it out?

It's a good thing our cast has super human hearing to be able to hear this plot clue. Either that, or they were just shouting to eachother?

Wasn't Albert the one after Ange? Ain't that kinda risky?

Then we simply need to ensure that we are not caught. If we go now, we should be able to investigate the ruins first.

All right, we'll depart at once.

Anyway, we got some communists over here at the guild.

Communists aside, let's go do plot stuff.

Inside we go.

Was this really a worship center? It doesn't really look like it... Somehow it feels really... sad.

It seems this place is known as the Celestial Garden.

We ain't got time to stand around, right? Albert could be here any minute.

That's true, let's start searching the area.

This dungeon isn't actually too bad, thank god.

aaaand save point means we're done here, cutscene time.

I guess you're right, but we still can't say for sure if he's searching for the Manifest.

But it does seem consistent with our information.

It's hard for me to imagine him hiring you to find someone he had never met if he wasn't looking for the Manifest, I guess.

!.....ah.....

F L A S H B A C K T I M E

It would appear our hardheaded elders still have yet to realize how essential that is, Orifiel.

Please be patient... I swear on my good name that I will save you.

I will wait. I can do nothing else, given the situation.

...What right have we to subject the Divine to such conditions?

Haha. Unable to kill me, no doubt this is all they can do.

Hahaha fun times! I'm immortal!

Human belief... souls... we're the ones not taking whatever we like. How exactly do we have the gall to call them greedy?

Have we learned nothing from the mistakes we made with Naraka?

Utopia, is it? Haha. The more I think about it, the more disillusioned I become with the idea.

Lord Himmel...

We require allies... Allies who can share in our dream.

:(

Way to do the LP for me, Spada.

All right! First!

That was the Overlord using the Manifest, right? When he said “the two of us”, who was the second person?

...Oh! That's it! The Sky Castle!

Hey, Her, what did you just...

Hey, Luca, translate for us.

...Let's see... In other words, Vrtra watched as Devaloka collapsed. However, the Sky Castle didn't fall, and remains in the sky.

Yup.

And that means... that the Manifest is still there too?

But we're talking about the Sky Castle here. How are we supposed to get there?

It's floating in the sky, right? We don't exactly know where...

Hmmm...

Seriously, that's why I was sayin' we needed to keep movin'...... in my heart.

Her, why not try saying important things out loud next time?

!!

Oh, uh, we got lost...?

That's right! We lost the path in the snow and struggled through the cold....

Excuse me?

The hell?!

Whoops, my bad...

I come from a long line of Tenos's royalty. I am called Albert. A pleasure to make your acquaintances.

You're Albert? What are you doing here?

First, I'd like to have you answer my questions. What were you doing here?

We never said that...

Definitely never said that...

Hahahahaha!

That would be me.

Don't misunderstand. I didn't bring her here for your sake.

Yes, I remember your letter of contractual annulment and the penalty payment.

If I may ask, what exactly is your business with me? I believe this is our first meeting.

Then... you must be Himmel.

Correct. I have longed to see you.

D-don't go!

Serena! Our business isn't finished. Come back here.

Angie!

:((((

So uh, there goes my healer.

If you ain't gonna move, we'll move through you!

There's a scripted fight here. I didn't think it was worth gifing, so just imagine me beating the poo poo out of them.

I know Ricardo is referring to Ange and Albert, but I like to think he means the dead bodies of the soldiers we just murdered.

Why... did she go with him?

Angie's gotta have a reason. We ain' gonna get nowhere standin' 'round here. Let's go take her back.

And of course, we have to walk our way back! Because yay Tales of Innocence! Thanks for tuning in to Update 21, make sure to check out the skits (which will be posted in a few minutes!) for this update!

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 21 Skits

Overeating... Maybe?

Words To Live By

drat it, Ange!

About the Sky Castle

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 22

TWO UPDATES IN ONE DAY?? Don't worry, the world isn't ending, they're just small updates.
And we're back! I took the liberty of not making you see me navigate out of that dungeon, and across the map back to town.

They're most likely in the munitions factory in the heart of the city.

Then let's get goin' already.

So now we gotta go find Ange and Albert and do a whole dungeon without our healer.

The munitions factory looks suspiciously like a hotel.

That doesn't make it any less creepy, though. No matter how you cut it, these weapons are tools of death.

Says the girl with 2 guns?

Let's hurry on.

So other than some rad music, this dungeon is nothing special. We've basically done the same thing at all the other bases.

As always, save point marks the boss battle.

It's an airship. As the name implies, it's a flying ship. Hard to imagine a thing is even possible...

Ricardo you and all your friends are reincarnations of literal GODS from another life who have magic powers, is it really all that unbelievable?

Let's hurry.

Yeah!

For this next fight, I'm gonna be using the OG Fallen party-- Spada, Luca, and Iria. For old times sake.

….

Haha. You seem intent on standing between the two of us.

Are you another of Mathias's underlings?

Mathias? Oh, you mean that child with delusions of grandeur? A messiah? The Overlord?

You plan to destroy the world?

I'm afraid I don't understand the point of your question. Of course, if I wished it to be destroyed, it would be.

Devaloka collapsed because the user wished for it.

Hope Dragonball doesn't sue.

In the Devic era, Himmel sought the unification of Devaloka and Naraka.

Simple, Orifiel. I wish to cast aside both the Sensus and the people of Naraka.

A plague on both your houses!

Oh, nevermind. Just a plague on one house.

What?!

Now look at what has become of us. The foolish people of Naraka are consumed by their foolish wars.

I-I-I cannot believe my ears.

And of course, the Sensus who sought to return Naraka to Devaloka were no less foolish. I shall resurrect the Ratio by the power of Himmel the Divine.

Please reconsider, Lord Himmel!

It would appear that we are not of one mind.

“Two shall stand before me in devotion and faith, yet a single soul shall inherit my power.” Unless you desire the same thing, you can't use the Manifest!

I wonder about that. The Manifest and Ange. These two things are all I require to fulfill my wish.

What does that mean?

FLASHBACK

I was told that the user must sacrifice the one he or she loves the most.

Dreadful... How very like the savage Sensus... Ah, no... I apologize.

Hmph. Pay it no mind. Just as you say, it is a savage method. It seems no wish can be fulfilled without sacrifice.

I believe that I now understand the source of your worries. It would be quite impossible for you to sacrifice her.

I think my favorite part of this game is that Asura, the giant demon dude with a big sword, hangs out with the tactician from the rival side, and they talk about ~~girls~~.

Indeed. It's absurd... I cannot even imagine losing her. Even if she were to die, I would chase her to the depths of hell and retrieve her spirit from the wheel of rebirth.

Is that... is that hyperbole? That seems a little uh, specific.

That's right! You savage Sensus did only two things right. The first was allowing Orifiel to live, the second was teaching me another way to invoke the Manifest!

Let me just tell you right now, I'm gonna kill you. I just thought I'd let you know that it's in my plans. To kill you. Still friends?

Yeah, we're takin' her back.

I have a contract with Serena, and I intend to see it through to the end.

uhh

Why?! Angie, yer' gonna die, hear? I don't want that!!

Ange please... step aside!

So I need to explain something here. Albert has a Mystic Arte that I wanted to show off, but unfortunately they only do their Mystic Artes on the higher difficulties, and I locked myself into doing this fight on Mania mode, but on Mania mode this fight is almost impossible. Not only does Ange heal herself once you get her low enough, even though I'm fairly leveled, my party members were constantly being one hit KO'd, as Mania mode is intended to be on your second playthrough. Because of this, I've turned on infinite life for this one battle. Unprofessional I know, but I wanted to be able to show off his Mystic Arte, and also actually complete the battle. Sorry about that! Below are a few gifs. I decided not to upload a full video of the boss fight (because it's INCREDIBLY long due to Ange's heals), and besides the Mystic Arte, it's nothing we haven't been seeing all along because I prefer to play as Ange anyway. My apologies for all the confusion about this, it's a boring and annoying bossfight.

The one thing I will say, when you kill Ange in this fight she says the same quote she does if she dies in battle when you play as her, which I think is neat.

Ange, why are you defending him?

I could not protect him in my past life. That is the sin that I have shouldered since I was born.

I will not allow him to be killed again...

Ange...

On this journey, I have been able to change. I destroyed the cathedral and was abandoned by my believers, but my heart is no longer as weak as it once was.

….Change me?

Listen... Himmel, no... Albert...

In this life, you have authority. You can stand above the people and make their power work for you. It is a role that you have been chosen for.

Naraka can be saved by your very will, if only you wish it to be. Saved without having to sacrifice any innocent lives....

What! That's the name of the game! Innocent!

I... I...

Do not rely upon the Manifest. You have more freedom than Himmel did. Let us free ourselves from its curse.

Lofty words from the girl who just betrayed us “BECAUSE PAST LIFE”

…....

UHHH WHAT

WHAT WAS THAT

Albert...

Are we gonna ignore that?? Do we have to kinkshame Albert?

I was happy that you stood in front of me... and protected me.

There you go, well said!

Good stuff. I was all worried I was gonna have to buy somethin' to wear to Angie's funeral.

Let's snag it before Mathias can!

How unfortunate.

WHERE DID SHE COME FROM

Mathias!!

I shall await you at the Sky Castle, Asura!

W-what do we do? She's gonna beat us to the punch!

Oh, good thing we beat the friendship into him, huh?

Albert...

Do not concern yourself with me. Now go!

This entire scene strikes on a really weird tone, did he just not decide that he was gonna do this?

Anyway, we have an airship now. Yay for a good way to travel! Unfortunately, the only option is to go to the Sky Castle, no fast travel for us yet, plot stuff first :(

This is actually where I'm gonna cut the update, because next update has a lot of plot heavy stuff, and I know this one was short, but I want to have them be separated. Thanks for tuning in, and check out the skits for this update! Two dungeons to go!

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 22 Skits

About Himmel

Greedy

A Reliable Nice Guy

HOW CUTE IS THIS FOLKS

Iria and Spada 1

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 23

Who's excited for an airship. I KNOW I AM.

AWW I GUESS

Oh sweet, now we get to talk to people. I was kind of hoping for a cool animation, but oh well.

drat! It's now or never!

My, I mustn't let my guard down.

They uh, all have only one thing to say. Talking to Ricardo again triggers the scene.

A castle...

This is the Sky Castle?

Yeah, this castle was used as a fortress by the Sensus, after all.

Hmph. Save the nostalgia for later. Let's hurry.

That's right! We aren't gonna hand over the Manifest to the likes of Mathias!

So here we are at the Sky Castle, this dungeon is actually really pretty imo.

There's some goodies over here.

I dunno, I just like the look of this place.

Isn't that uh, some pokemon?

YEAH PIE

Now we're in the castle proper, there's enemies again.

Hey what's in the distance?

That there's a corpse. Remains of a god.

Givin' me the creeps.

That's right... This is where we lived in our past lives. In other words, this is the land of the gods.

Another pokemon.

This is... Inanna... and me. And Durandal is broken...

PLOT TIME

With this you should finally understand why Devaloka collapsed.

You were betrayed. And in your despair, you destroyed the world.

I was the one... who destroyed Devaloka?

I told you, did I not? That girl betrayed you.

I betrayed him?

I resented Inanna with every ounce of my being! Even in rebirth, that fathomless chagrin carved itself onto my face.

Then, you're...

wait what

What?!

F L A S H B A C K

Overlord... forgive me.

Was your only purpose in coming here... to assassinate me?

“Steal the heart of Overlord Asura. Then assassinate him.”

I always kinda wondered why the elder council or whatever is inside diamonds.

Please leave it to me.

But I cannot allow the humans to return to Devaloka, no matter what.

You did not... believe in me?

Humans are no longer capable of existing alongside the gods. If you were to unite Devaloka and Naraka, the world itself would have been destroyed in time.

Durandal... you too?

I regret that it would come to this. I am but a weapon. I can only be used as my wielder commands...

What happened to... the world that I sought?!

Lies! Lies! You're lying!!

Then... what am I?

You are nothing but Asura's doubt. Recall the hatred that bound you!

Ah... no........................

The game really uses that many ellipses.

The one who destroyed Devaloka... the one who brought misfortune onto everyone... was me?

Now, come, my other half. We have work to do.

That's kind of an odd way to phrase that?

Won't you come with me? I am a faithful servant to you both. You can rest assured that unlike a certain girl, I will never betray you.

Wow, rude?

Luca!!

Hey... don' go, Lu...

Milda... is this the path you've chosen?

Geez emo much???

Any world is better than this rotten imbalance of Naraka and Devaloka, is it not?

ITS ALMOST LIKE WE TOLD YOU THIS A WHILE AGO IDIOT

Hahahahaha! Exactly! In death, we will achieve true equality. Do you not think it a gloriously fitting end for this world?

Destroy the world. That is the only way it can be saved.

That's a really funny technicality.

Please use my life.

…......

Why? My heart has always belonged to none one but Overlord Asura.

Friendzoned again!!!!!

….Then we have no choice. Luca, that girl Iria has wormed her way into your heart. Take her life and invoke the Manifest!

…...Iria betrayed me in my past life. So did Spada. Ricardo sold us out to Gardel. Ange did the same with Albert. But to be honest, I don't care about that stuff.

It's my fault that everyone has to continue to suffer in this life. It's all my fault...

Lady Mathias, the Sky Castle is falling apart.

There is one last option. Let's go, Chitose.

Luca...

Get back to the airship.

But Luca is....

Go!!

Hurry, Her!!

Hurry! We're getting out of here!

Ahhh!!!

Whoa!

And we fade to black. Thanks for tuning into update 23 everyone, hope you guys are still there under all that PLOT PLOT PLOT. No skits for this update, they'll be in the next one!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Everybody betray Luca! He fed up with this world.
They betray him, they didn't keep their promise, they trick him, and he don't care anymore.
Oh hi, Chitose.

But seriously, just leaving Luca there was kind of a dick move; he was a whole ten feet away, and Ricardo has totally picked his rear end up and dragged it around before. Come on, Rick, what the hell.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

thetruegentleman posted:

Everybody betray Luca! He fed up with this world.
They betray him, they didn't keep their promise, they trick him, and he don't care anymore.
Oh hi, Chitose.

But seriously, just leaving Luca there was kind of a dick move; he was a whole ten feet away, and Ricardo has totally picked his rear end up and dragged it around before. Come on, Rick, what the hell.

Yeah, poor Luca-- everyone betrays him :c

Hmm, maybe it was because the airship's cockpit is really small, and Ricardo figured if he had Luca and Iria in the same room, it would be a really awkward flight home?
I imagine that'd be wicked awkward for everyone else. Also, just saying, Hermana is the only member of our main party who never betrayed Luca! Go Hermana.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Whoa, so many updates at once. I hope we can reach the next page before the next update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This update makes the Iria and Spada skit seem hilariously badly timed. Also it seems as though the worse thing to do would be to abandon Luca right now for he could easily see this act as validating the idea that he can trust no one. Just having the main villain trying to destroy the world is bad enough, but having the lead protagonist and potentially the most powerful avatar going nuts can not lead to anything good.

• Locked thread