Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

RelentlessImp posted:

Vrtra is a reference to Vritra, romanized as Vrtra (" वृत्र "), a Vedic Asura, known also as Ahi, or Snake. Typically depicted as a dragon blocking the course of rivers, Vritra is the personification of drought and is the adversary of Indra, who, in the Rig Veda, destroyed all of Vritra's 99 fortresses and had their two jaws broken by Vritra before throwing the dragon down and crushing its own fortresses, thus liberating the rivers. Indra then went on to kill Vritra's mother with his thunderbolt. A lot of this story is influenced by Brahmanism (and by extension, Hinduism), even going so far as to appropriate a lot of terms and redefining them - Asuras, Devas, even taking names like Vrtra. It would have probably been more appropriate to translate it to Vritra, but I don't know Japanese and couldn't tell you, but Vrtra is at least semi-accurate in terms of references.

I'm glad there's posters like you in this here thread cause I don't really know a drat thing about any of this.

Although I didn't trip over Vrtra since my old Latin lessons got me used to treating V as a vowel in a pinch :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Hey y'all, update coming tomorrowish-- been working on a bunch of stuff, been away from the computer.

If anyone here is any good at videos/editing, this is me sending out a formal plea for help-- I spent hours today trying to improve my video setup (I've used FRAPS, Camtasia, and even the built in AVI recorder to try to record this game), and all of them come out looking like poop. The built in AVI recorder records super crisp videos, but in order to make them anything close to a good size for youtube, they all end up blurry-like. I feel like people have recorded DS games in a way that doesn't look like crap, so if anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You could try here for help.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 13

I hear if you put 2 mirrors next to eachother and yell “TALES OF INNOCENCE” three times, I get off my rear end and finally update my LP. The truth is out there.When we last left off, we had just finished beating up the cleverly named Chien, who's name means “dog.” Very good Bamco, very good.

Look at Dog Boy trying to play it cool!

Bwahahaha! Pretty slick, Dog Boy!

Come now, that is not very nice. You should call him by his name. Dog Boy, what was your name again?

And off he runs.

Brats are all so noisy...

That include me?

Just pretend I was commenting on the dogs.

Oh poo poo, the sass.

Sounds like a plan.

drat Mathias and her sneaky tricks! She won't get away with this.

In any case, we now know that the Manifest is something of considerable value.

Yeah, we better watch out asses with Arca on the move.

In the Devic Era, Ratio mobilized the entire populace in order to obtain the Manifest.

Man, what a pain.

You see Iria, this kind of negative attitude is why you were the love interest in your past life, and Luca gets to be a loving demon lord.

Yeah, remember that plot point from a year ago? Me neither!

Still, I find it hard to imagine that everyone is hoping to use the Manifest to destroy the world.

Mathias will guide them to their Utopia, huh? I suspect that means she intends to use the Manifest.

Hey Ange, what did the Ratio want with the Manifest?

I cannot remember. Luca, do you know why Asura sought it?

No... but Asura did unify Devaloka, right? If he didn't want to use it to destroy the world, then why did he need it?

Comin' from a dog, who knows? Wouldn't give him too much credit, though.

Do you think maybe they're just trying to create Utopia just for Avatars?

Maybe. That might not be so bad...

For who?! Your parents wouldn't be there!

Avatars are those who remember our past lives... perhaps they intend to revive Devaloka?

I wanna cash in this mushroom. Let's go already.

I suppose there are still too many blanks in our memories. Let us go for now.

Anyway, let's go do that thing Hermana just said.

Nobody's here? Weird... They oughta be back here by now.

It's noisy outside... I hear kids.

Don't you mean brats?

!! No way!!

Rita! Mario! Y'all okay?

Let me go! I said, let me go!

I'm assuming you guys understand the joke here.

Let those kids go! You're hurting them!!

What have those children done wrong?!

…..

Hey old man, what's gonna happen to those kids?

I'll just tell you exactly what we're going to do so you can follow us!

That's horrible! How can you do something so terrible?!

That “!?” or “?!” is called an 'Interrobang' and this game's writing really REALLY likes it, for some reason.

:(

Don' move a muscle... Y'all ain't goin' nowhere with those kids.

Yer' gonna get hurt, you hear?

I'll make you eat those words!

That's the “bodyguard”, I'm using this as my standard “bad man NPC” portrait.

And now we get to demo Hermana. Her fighting style was gone into extensively in the thread by RelentlessImp (who has really cool analysis of this game!), but she's super fun to play. Too bad we can only have 3 people at once :(

This is my favorite of her starting moves. You just throw someone, what's not to love??

Yeah, maybe trying to fight the Ex-Dragon was a bad idea.

I would certainly like to know what you mean by that.

Did these guy major in “telling the good guys their plan” or something?

In other words, you are trying to sell these children illegally into slavery. Are there any problems with my understanding of the situation?

I love Ricardo's delivery.

Urk...

And on top of that, you intend to take them abroad? The burden of your crime is incredible. Shall I lighten your load?

Ricardo-- not afraid to just loving pull out his gun in broad daylight.

An Avatar huh? Whatcha after?

Ma'am, I owe Lady Vrtra a great deal.

No worries... Anyway, how 'bout lettin' them kids go?

And while you're at it, can you look after them for us?

You can sell this mushroom if ya' need the money. It oughta be enough to raise the kids up while I'm gone... If ya' wanna thank me, how's that sound?

Ma'am, I will protect these kids even if it costs me my life.

Her', are we leaving?

The character's name is Rita, so I'm using Rita from Tales of Vesperia as her image. Nyuck nyuck.

This guy has a scary face! Her', say here!

But hey, take a close look at this guy's face. Ain' it kinda funny?

Her', don't go!

See, I got a kid already.

AND SPADA'S THE FATHER

Since 'fore I was born, there was this big baby named Asura I was always lookin' after.

….

Once I make sure that kid's alright, I'll be back for sure! I promise.

See you soon...

See you soon.

You have to come back!

I'll be lonely, but I won't cry.

*sob*

Why are YOU crying?

C'mon. Let's go, 'fore I start regrettin' this.

If you're worried about the kids, it's okay for you to stay...

Hold up! Ya gonna make me say it? Yer in worse shape than these kids.

R-Really?

Yup, so I'm comin'. Seriously, use yer' head... Now let's get goin'!

Hey, are you ready for a TON OF DIALOGUE? I HOPE SO

What about memory circles? You think there are others?

In that case, I suggest we pay a visit to the Naos Grand Cathedral.

Don't they disappear when you touch them? Is that one still there?

Let me ask you a question. What do both the cavern and Naos Grand Cathedral have in common?

They're both places!

Ummm...

Ummm...

Oh, I see.

I get it!

Wait, don't say it!

There a prize if I guess right?

We are short on time, so you are disqualified. Luca, would you mind explaining?

OHHH BURN

The Cathedral and the caverns are both places of worship, right?

Yes, that is correct.

Man, these questions are too hard.

Yes, but what we need right now is information.

Man...

What a pain...

Iria, Spada, you are personally involved, yes? Show some interest in learning more about yourselves!

Blah.

This sucks.

I couldn't agree more.

Ricardo, did you say something?

What is it, Her'?

Can I ask a favor? It's uh... about that hug.

Sure, come here.

I did good, right?

You did great. I'm proud of you for not crying.

….........

THE CUTEST HUG!!!!!! I LOVE THIS

T-t-t-hat's all folks! I'm gonna be striving for a more frequent update schedule, so we'll see what happens. Hopefully we can do things in the next update! Make sure to check out the Update 13 skits, and have a nice day!

Darth Numbers fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 24, 2015

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 13 Skits

The Value of a Mushroom

Hermana's Power

Hug Critic

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
This post is a placeholder for today's update, which was lost due to a bizarre turn of events involving someone vomiting on my hard drive and my glasses shattering. Update coming in a few hours.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Darth Numbers posted:

This post is a placeholder for today's update, which was lost due to a bizarre turn of events involving someone vomiting on my hard drive and my glasses shattering. Update coming in a few hours.

... Sounds like one hell of a night.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Ghostwoods posted:

... Sounds like one hell of a night.

When the host breaks out the Everclear that she had to drive to NH to buy because it's illegal in MA, I probably should have known some poo poo was gonna go down, yeah.

EDIT: Update coming tomorrow I guess, real life intervenes with laptop shenanigans! I have it all done except for uploading the pictures, so I'll get on that tomorrow once I get a new charger, get hyped. I'm also releasing a video along with the update showing off our main character's Mystic Artes (which I've painstakingly grinded to unlock), and explaining the style system a bit more. Also be hyped for that!

Darth Numbers fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 5, 2015

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 14

Before I get into the main update-- I did a ton of grinding off screen. Like, a TON. Not enough to warrant not updating in 2 weeks, but a lot nonetheless! Hopefully my tech troubles are through now so we can get to the main attraction, but man I did so much grinding. SO MUCH.

For example, we went from (according to the game) 40 hours of play time to OVER 100, and our GRADE increased from ~4000 to ~80,000. SO MUCH GRINDING.

We went from guild rank 2 to like 7, and we've also unlocked one of the secret styles-- Innocent Style! It's description is “High tension combatant”, and all of its skills pertain to the tension (overlimit) bar, raising it faster, keeping it longer, stuff like that. At level 10 of Innocence you unlock the “awakening” skill, which allows us to use our Mystic Arte. When each character unlocks their Innocent Style, they get a unique skit. I'm going to be releasing a video alongside this update explaining Styles in more detail, and showing off every character's mystic arte. Stay tuned!

Spada's skit:

Anyway, I feel great. Right now, it's like masterin' the sword is actually possible.

Is this the birth of Master Swordsman Spada Belforma?

Heh, you're too much. But that really might not be too far off.

I'm a swordsman, not a chef!

Well, uh, no way to tell unless I try...

...I wonder what happened to Spada. He really does seem to have gotten stronger, that's reassuring.

And here's Luca's skit.

Whoa, Luca! You're shaking like crazy! Are you feeling sick?

No... I just felt like Asura was calling out to me...

Wow.

H-huh?

You must be exhausted. No surprise there, I guess.

Seriously Luca, you need to get more sleep.

I ain't gonna say it! Luca has a bright future ahead of him!

What are you talking about...? I've never done anything...

I haven't done anything weird, I'm serious!

Whoa, Luca's mad!

Yay, Luca has now unlocked Innocent style!

And now Ange's skit.

Did something happen?

I wanted to express my gratitude. A wonderful blessing has been bestowed upon me.

My, it seems I may be able to test out this new power immediately.

Hold it right there!

Hey Ange, go easy on her!

Iria's skit.

The hell? What's up with you?

Gyahahaha... Eheeeheee! Ahahahahaha!!

For real, what's up?

I just can't stop laughing! I'm really in top form!

You eat somethin' that's gone bad?

No such thing as bad food. I'm still alive, that's living proof!

I don't know how you're backin' up that theory, but you better rethink it.

How did we get on this subject anyway? Well, whatever. I just feel like I've unlocked a hidden power. Hehehehe...

Hermana's skit.

And lastly, Ricardo's skit!

Alright, that's all of them! I explain Mystic Artes and styles a little more in the extra video I'll be posting along side this update, check it out!

ANYWAY BACK TO PLOT! Let's uh, go back to that place we were at a while ago!

Head into Hartman's place to get the next plot device.

I'm admiring Hartman's collection of plates. They are very nice.

He also seems to have barrels just full of potatoes. That wacky Hartman!

Head over to the Naos Cathedral and let's advance the plot!

Why is it hidden?

Some of the literature contains divine oracles from Devaloka. They have been deemed unfit for public consumption.

Why y'all bein' so stingy?

Knowledge is only valuable when one has a monopoly on it.

That is one way to put it. Allow me to open it, please wait just a moment.

…..?

Serena, what's wrong?

The lever that is used to open the door was used recently...

I hope we aren't walking into a trap.

That is most unlikely, I cannot imagine anyone predicting our arrival.

You have a point.

Yikes, talk about musty.

Ain't nothing here but books! Kinda gives me the creeps.

Spada's worse weakness: BOOK

Kinda makes me wanna play hide an' seek.

Me too, me too.

That is enough, everyone, listen up.

Hey, Angie...

What is it?

I can't read, see?

I don't do books.

SWORDS HAVE NO NEED FOR BOOKS

Except apparently guns?

...That will not be a problem.

There will be no shirking of responsibility, understand? Excellent, let us begin.

Hey, remember the main villain of this game? Hahah, me neither.

Okay, I'll start. It seems that the god of the forge has been worshiped within Garam's Kelm Volcano for ages.

The mines in the area have attracted many smiths. The belief may have been developed around him as a god of industry.

There's also Ashihara. Given their distinct, ancient culture, we should probably search for clues there.

It sounds like it is worth looking into. We will need to visit Galpos and Tenos. Ricardo, did you find anything?

No, nothing...

Is that right? By the way... did you sleep well?

Ricardo is literally my favorite person. Gotta search for poo poo? NAH SON LETS NAP INSTEAD

I was worried you were gonna wake the dead with that snorin'.

Her', you should really wipe all that drool off your chin.

...We need to decide where to go next.

Ashihara, Tenos, Garam, or Galpos? Sounds like we're going to be making a world tour...

The whole world's at war. Tenos and Garam are at least on the same continent, but how are we gonna cross the ocean?

I wonder if there are ships running right now. What should we do?

Ricardo apparently has connections?

Really?

Hmph. I know that nothing will come of leaving it to you brats. I'm just doing what I can.

Ricardo sure acts cool for someone who just fell asleep at a loving library.

Well you clearly can't do any research, so it's good you can do something.

OHHH BURN

Oh dear, that was rather uncalled for. Ricardo, can we ask you to arrange the boat for us?

Yeah, I'll go now. I'll wait for you at the harbor.

For now, let us leave this place before we fall asleep like a certain someone.

Gosh, leave it alone!

Maybe he'll actually be there this time...

Sounds like a good plan. We can't let Her' leave without hearing “Young Master”, can we?

Are they ever gonna leave that alone?

Now I'm havin' second thoughts...

Now we can walk around a bit, there's a few treasures to pick up.

Miracle Water is super useful-- it revives and fully heals your entire party. I already had one, but it's always nice to have another!

Somethin' got you worried?

Really? Wonder if they're after Ange...

Not that rear end in a top hat!

Oswald was that fat-rear end from the lab, right? What did he come here for?

From the secret library? The entrance should have been hidden... Did they hear about the secret underground room from someone related to the church?

At least we know they aren't after Ange. Say, Ange. Did you notice any books missing?

No, it would be impossible to not notice any missing, because there are so many. There was never a catalog made either...

Sorry Hartman, we got a boat to catch. It's gonna be a long trip, so we just came to say goodbye.

Later gramps. We'll visit again!

Anyway, head to the harbor.

We have 2 options here, let's try asking nicely first.

Who was that just now?

….He was selling us boat tickets. He tried overcharge us, so I told him to get lost.

Oh, really? He looked a little flustered, so I thought I'd ask...

….

Well I guess it's fine.

In any case, I secured us passage.

If we pick the other option, this happens.

Hmm... Did that guy run away when he saw us?

You worry too much. He was just a ticket vendor. He tried to overcharge us, so I told him to get lost.

Really? He didn't give you any trouble, did he?

Your concern is unnecessary.

If that's it, I guess it's okay.

Not too interesting, but hey. Both versions end with him saying he secured passage for us, so let's move on.

We all set then?

Where is our first destination?

There were some issues, but for now we can go as far as Ashihara.

Nice! We better get on board.

So you have to talk to this guy to get on the boat. You would think walking onto the boat would get you onto the boat, but not so! You gotta talk to this guy first.

Anyway, meanwhile in another place.

I love that not even the bad guys have any loving clue what Mathias is talking about.

Let the bad guy do whatever she wants? This couldn't possibly go wrong!

Nothing creepy going on here!

Anyway, we're back on our ship. I love the music they use on the ship ride, so I recorded it for you guys. And check it out, It's in HD! Lookin' good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-S3iYkTBpI

If you hate videos, don't worry! Just imagine badly rendered boat graphics going over badly animated ocean, set to an upbeat tune. Good job!

And now we're in the land to the east, not-japan! Here's a map for reference.

Need some water?

I'm fine... let's go.

Wow, you're hopeless!

Iria, you can barely stand yourself.

Whatever, I'm fine.

Every year, more and more of this island sinks into the sea. Ashihara was once a vast empire, but this is all that's left.

I didn't know it was this bad...

Hey, ain' we gonna check out the city? I wanna see it.

Okay, shall we?

So now we can walk around in what's basically Japan. Very subtle, Bamco.

Something I really like about this is they made the city actually sinking into the water. I think that's really neat.

Now, guess we better get serious 'bout gatherin' info.

We'll meet up again at the harbor, understand?

Okay!

Let's go walk around Japan because we're loving weaboos.

Yep.

Um... so... well...

SMOOTH

What are you going on about?!

Well... I thought... maybe we could enjoy seeing the sights together or something...

Excuse me? Here's a better idea, go by yourself.

poo poo, that's a burn.

Wait...

Coda, come on.

…..

Let's walk around aimlessly!

Oh, this is where I was born.

Ah... I'm glad to see you again, I really am.

I had also hoped we would see eachother again.

A+ flirting.

Shall we sit down?

No, of course not. You must have come in with the girl, right?

I'm alone. For now, at least.

Hehe, I'm happy to hear that. It has been a long time since we were alone together.

Huh? Were we ever along?

I treasure the time we spent together, Lord Asura.

She wants the D(emon lord).

Are... are you...

FLASHBACK

That's right. The unification of Devaloka and Naraka is meaningless without it.

WHOA THERE, geez.

Hmph. I admire your dedication. However, I require no self-sacrifice from those who serve me. I have no intention of treating a healthy young girl girl as a tool.

Good Guy Asura.

Sucks to be her.

Sakuya...

Do you remember me now, Lord Asura?

So that's who you were...

Even now, I wish to honor the pledge that I made to Lord Asura in the Devic Era. It is all that I am.

T-thank you...

Please, come with me. Join Arca. They will keep you safe.

But... I...

Why do you object? Lady Mathias is a wonderful person and the believers are such good people.

But Iria said they're the ones who attacked her village!

It... must have been essential to their plan. I am sure of it.

That's true... but I...

Lady Mathias is working to save the world.

In other parts of the world, the land rages, calamities befall the people, and the wars cause food shortages.

Then you intend to reverse the effects of The Fall using the Manifest?

Of course. Our Utopia will be a place where all can find salvation.

You have only heard one side of the story from that girl. She is pushing her feelings on you. Can she really prove that what she says is--

That's enough! You may respect Mathias, but.... but I don't! I've seen what she's capable of myself.

You misunderstand... please try to understand...

Just who the heck is Mathias?

Luca was brought up too well to swear.

Someone you know quite well... The ruler of all Sensus, the Overlord...

The Overlord... I don't know who that is... Is it just that I haven't remembered him?

Is there no way to convince you to join Arca?

No, I'm sorry.

I understand... I will withdraw. However, I offer you a word of caution... You should not put your faith in that girl.

Why? What makes you hate her so much?

Do you truly not remember? Or perhaps... No. Never mind. One day, you will come to understand.

Oh, hi Iria.

You... okay there?

So what is it then?

This city is her hometown. She just happened to return here from the western front. Something like that...

I. See.

So, how did the information gathering go?

Well, while you were busy on your date, I was actually working. It's already time, so let's head back.

I'm sorry... Let's go to the harbor then.

My, I wasn't the one goofing off. That would be our dear Luca.

S-so, did you find anything?

We did. It seems that ancestor worship is quite common here. The dead are deified and worshiped.

When you die, you ascend to heaven and dwell with the gods. That's proof of the land's connection with Devaloka.

That sounds like a place to find a circle of memory. Let's check it out!

Sounds like a good plan. FOR NEXT UPDATE! Thanks for tuning in, make sure to check out not only the Update 14 Skits, AND the Skits And Mystic Artes Explained video (which is currently rendering and will be released probably Monday), which I have laboured to make for you guys! Super cool stuff, check it out.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 14 skits

Seeking Ultimate Strength

Ange and Iria 1

About Naos

Ange and I 2

Gunslingers

I think the idea of a demon lord wielding a gun is amazing.

Ange and Spada 1

Justifying a Power Nap

Vrtra's Loneliness

Who is Oswald?

What's Ashihara like?

Boat Trip

What's Ashihara famous for?

Alone With Iria

Iria and Ricardo 1

I refuse to think that this skit is anything other than a Metal Gear Solid 3 reference.

Iria and Hermana 1

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Just as a note, I'm going to be rerecording some of the previous boss fights (Hypnos, Chien and Gigantess if I can find the correct save states) with this new (read: crisp and not poo poo) recording method in the next couple days. If nothing else, boss battles from now on will be recorded in this method, so everything should be funky and HD and cool! (I'll still be providing screenshots along with the videos for those who don't like videos and hate technology though).

Stay tuned!

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Styles and Mystic Artes Explained!

Here it is folks, the long awaited (maybe) video. The first couple minutes are a rundown of how styles work and how we're using them, and also going a little into the hidden styles that we've unlocked. After that we transition into showing off the main character's mystic artes, which are pretty nifty looking in my opinion. There's an annotation on the video to skip right to that, if you don't care about styles.

Pardon my mic, it's not perfect-- I know those hard 's's are killer. Anyway, please enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDKYv8s95OI

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 15

Hahaha... what's an update schedule? Hopefully I get this update posted before we hit the 3 week mark ^^'' Anyway, we were on our way to the tombs to go find stuff about our past lives. Onward!

We came because we have an interest in foreign cultures. Might we be able to see inside?

C'mon man, don' be so stingy! And quit it with the funny talkin'.

Oh, is that right? Man, what's with these gate keepers? Even with such cute girls asking to see inside, they won't listen.

Oh look, it's convenient plot device!

Hey, what's goin' on?

Why don't you exterminate them?

HMM. Wouldn't it be great if our heroes were, I dunno, capable of doing this for them?

I wonder... if we were to exterminate the Armaboars for you, will you allow us inside?

Smackdown.

You should be more honest in asking people for help. Are we in agreement then?

Serena, I do wish you would avoid diving headlong into danger. You sure don't make my job any easier...

I like hard workers. So, Ricardo, I expect you will remain diligent in your duties.

All right, let's wipe these monsters out!

Yeah! Spada, with you around, I know we can beat any monster, hands down!

Heh, you got that right! I just hope it won't be too easy.

All right! We're counting on you, leave it to Lord Spada!

Hahahahaha! Please, you're too kind!

Now we gotta go find some dude, I guess.

We intend to take on the Armaboar extermination. We were told to see you about it.

Yes. We ask no reward, I do wonder, however, if we might be allowed inside the tombs.

Don't go jumpin' to conclusions, we ain't lookin' to do any grave robbin'.

Oh... Well...

Okay Luca. Okay.

Lu', ya got a pretty creepy hobby there...

Oh... thank you very much.

So just take 'em all out, right?

We'll take care of it!

Anyway, let's go murder some animals in order to advance the plot! I'll spare you the details, but rest assured, we murdered these animals good. The best part is, every once in a while, you're party members offer words of encouragement. Moral support!

Thanks Luca!

Thanks Ricardo. Honestly, they're just on the main map-- this isn't that hard to do.

Anyway, we murdered some pigs.

We've killed enough Armaboars now, right?

I regret that it had to come to this.

Chitose said it began when Devaloka collapsed. That's when the world began to fall into decline.

Oh, so now this is about Chitose?

Huh?

Shut up! You know what I mean!

Man, how bout we head back? We gotta report to that old guy.

L-let's do that.

---

Old man! We took out those Armaboars for you.

Then, about Luca's hobby...

Luca, you must be thrilled.

Come on, don't be like that...

Pay me no mind. Mister Jirocho praised you for having such a wonderful hobby, did he not?

You don't really think I have such a hobby...

Luca, sometimes lies are the only things that can protect us from the truth.

(Wait... what part does she think is the truth? Did she just dodge the question...?)

Time to get on with the plot.

Thank you.

Yes, Luca is quite right. Even in death, they want to remind people of how powerful they were.

Then we should be able to find some sort of altar in here.

Indeed. And a memory circle too.

This place makin' anyone else feel a little tense?

We came down a large staircase at the entrance. We're most likely standing well below sea level here.

Man, now I'm really feelin' the pressure...

Time for another miserable dungeoning experience! Video below (again, in beautiful 720p and the crispest pixels you can buy) sped up of this super fun dungeon.

If you hate videos, screenshots are below the video. FYI, for this video, I've set it to 4x the speed (similar to what I did for the Regnum Caverns video), but kept the original audio sped up. In the last video, I replaced all the audio with a song from the Innocence OST, and I think that keeping the sped up audio gives it less of a sense of flatness. That's my opinion anyway, I'd love feedback on which way you guys prefer! Also-- even at 4x speed, it's still 4 minutes of dungeoning. Is 4x speed a good speed? Do you guys want the dungeon videos to be faster in the future? Please, let me know what you think!

Anyway, if you wanted a giant loving maze, you've won! Congrats, this dungeon is a giant loving maze! Woohoo! It's miserable!

:siren: Ashihara Tombs Dungeon Crawl! :siren:

As you can see, it's a giant awful miserable maze where everything looks the same and nothing matters.

Screenshots.

Anyway, towards the right and down a long corridor is the next cutscene.

It's a mural, right? This is the same Devic script that was on the altar on the cavern.

It appears to be quite old. Let's see...

“Lamenting his endless isolation, he formed the world from his body and birthed the gods. And so, all things came to be.”

“And so, humans were cast down. The world so divided, heaven and earth, an eternity did pass.”

Uh... Ange? Can you explain all that?

Simply stated, Devaloka came into being by the death of the Primeval Giant.

Primeval Giant?

Yes, the Primeval Giant.

Metal gear!?

The god of creation. In the beginning, there was no world, just the Giant, alone. The Giant was so lonely, he created the land from his body and the gods from his head. And while the land prospered, the number of evil gods grew. So the gods created Naraka and imprisoned the evil gods there.

That's earth, for anyone still confused.

Those gods that were cast down and lost their powers were called humans. All of this happened ages ago.

We only know because we have memories of our past lives.

Wait, doesn't that mean that Avatars are just like everyone else?

No, that's incorrect. Reincarnation was only meant to occur on Devaloka. Our souls should never have been reborn in human bodies...

Is that right?

The role of the reapers was to take souls from Naraka to Devaloka to be used as its foundation. No Deva's souls should exist on Naraka.

But they do exist. We're living proof of that!

I don't understand how things could have become like this...

Ricardo's wondering who hosed up his job so badly.

So yer' sayin' not everybody's got a past life?

That's correct. If anything, we're the exception to the rule.

Going back to the original topic... If our ancestors were former gods, why was that story never passed down?

Because the Church decided to conceal it. I am sure you can imagine why. If believers knew they were of divine lineage, they would have little reason to pray to the gods in Devaloka.

So they just twisted the truth? It really okay to do somethin' like that?

It might have been mentioned before in the thread but rule number 1 of a Tales game: The Church is NEVER good.

We are talking about the distant past. Without something to believe in, humans grow arrogant. It had to be done. Of course, after The Fall, even that belief began to dwindle.

…..

(No matter what it took, I had to do it...)

And we have gameplay again! You guys still there after all that exposition?

Me and Inanna?

!!

That's it!!

Hey, Lu? Somethin' up?

It's the Overlord... the Overlord...

Lu'?

Oh, it's nothing. Sorry to make you worry, Her'. (So that is what Chitose was talking about...)

Anyway, we need to look around for this memory circle because it isn't in plain sight, what a drag!

Oh, nevermind. It was in plain sight the whole time.

(I'm about to remember something... Something I don't think I want to remember...)

….? Iria!

Inanna?

If you don't... I...

I finally got a portrait for Inanna! Woo.

What's wrong? You look pale.

I'm happy with how things are now. I want us to be together, just as we always have been.

What? That's it?

I couldn't agree more. What a waste of time.

Indeed, that really taught us very little.

You've gotta, you know, be more forceful, Asura!

Indeed, I couldn't agree more. What a waste of time.

Hey, Luca, Iria, you guys remember anything?

No... I was just talking to Iria, I mean Inanna about something. I guess...

I feel like if I remember, it's all over... my head hurts...

Iria...!

The Overlord?

So the Overlord used the Manifest?

That would appear to be what is depicted.

The Overlord... Chitose said that Mathias is the Overlord...

Mathias?! It was her fault!?! Arrggg!

Oh my. Are you alright?

I'm fine...

Us Avatars have to suffer like this because of the Fall.. because of what Mathias did...

Okay, I had forgotten about this dramatic pan-up and burst out laughing when it happens.

Anyway, time to leave! And we have to walk all the way back to the beginning of the dungeon! Oh boy!!!!!

Chitose...

Hey look, it's her. Again. SPOILER ALERT, this conversation goes into a boss battle. I'm going to record the before battle audio to give you guys a chance to hear the character's being voiced, which I think is always nice to hear. So without further ado, and including the before-battle dialogue, here is the

:siren: Chitose Fight :siren:

I'm a bit overleveled, and let me tell you, this fight is still loving annoying. I'm playing on Mania (the hardest difficulty) and even overleveled, once Chitose gets behind you and pulls her full combo off, you're dead.

You notice I changed Spada's weapon to a worse one a bit into the video-- this is to make him do less damage but still fill the tension gauge up, because I wanted to do Spada's mystic arte, but not kill her with it-- getting her low enough to use her own Mystic Arte, Mortal Shadow.

Which, if you notice, OHKO's Spada. Yeah, that move is kind of bullshit. In fact, in one of my previous recordings (I did this fight a bunch of times to get it go the way I wanted it), she spammed Mortal shadow SEVEN TIMES in a row, and killed my entire party. Yeah. I can upload that video if anyone cares, I thought it was hilarious.

Chitose is beatable if you lock her down with combos. Ange's basic attacks hit a bunch of times, so the full combo I use with her is like 25 hits alone, combined with Spada's basic attacks, into Sword Rain, into Sword Rain Alpha, you can lock her down fairly well, all things considered.

As always, if you hate videos, screenshots of the before battle dialogue and the fight itself are below. Enjoy!

You maniac stalker! What hole did you crawl out of?!

Iria, your tone.

My, what a pleasure to see you out of your hole. What do you want?

Lord Asura, you are essential to Lady Mathias.

Are you just pretending not to know? It was the Overlord who used the Manifest to destroy Devaloka!

No...

Your beloved homeland sinking... all of these wars... Everything started with the collapse of Devaloka!

No! You're wrong, Lord Asura... You obviously still don't remember everything that happened. You must have misunderstood. I remember. The Fall was entirely...

!!

!!

You gotta be kiddin' me! Hey Iria, say somethin'!

…...

H-hey, are you gonna let her get away with that?!

I'm not the same as I once was! I have been reborn... I will not allow you to steal Lord Asura from me a second time!

Why do you protect her? That girl will just betray you again in the end! Do you intend to relive the pain?

Iria brought me out of isolation. She needs me. So I'm going to protect her! She might not need my protection, but I won't betray the trust she put in me!

All along, I was pushing away the people who cared about me.

How stubborn!!

Anyway, we've beaten the poo poo out of Luca's crazy stalker. Seems like a good time to stop before I'm attacked by more plot! Thanks for tuning in, make sure to check out the Update 15 Skits , and see you next time!

Darth Numbers fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 21, 2015

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 15 Skits

A weird way of speaking...

Spada and I 2

Contractual Negotiations

About Monsters

The return of Iria's headache

The Overlord?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

It's nice to see Luca standing up for someone he cares about.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's nice to see Luca standing up for someone he cares about.

Character development? In MY video game??

Yeah it's actually a really nice scene, and for as much as I complained Chitose is actually kind of a fun fight, its just annoying because Tales games tend to do this whole "backtrack out of the dungeon to walk instantly into a boss fight" thing, and you can be completely unprepared for this fight and just get destroyed if you're not ready.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I was looking at an awful Innocence LP on YouTube (the guy was reading out all the lines that weren't voiced, even the skits!) and I saw the guy get an event from staying at the inn before meeting Hartman for the first time. In hindsight, the Tales games do have a lot of hidden events and sidequests. I wonder if there are other events from staying at the inn.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was looking at an awful Innocence LP on YouTube (the guy was reading out all the lines that weren't voiced, even the skits!) and I saw the guy get an event from staying at the inn before meeting Hartman for the first time. In hindsight, the Tales games do have a lot of hidden events and sidequests. I wonder if there are other events from staying at the inn.

Oh geez, hopefully mine is better? Hmm, that's embarrassing. I must have missed that, I'll try to go back and get it in like a "poo poo I missed' update at the end.

There is actually something I skipped on purpose-- you know how every character has a skit for unlocking Innocent style? There's actually an extra skit for unlocking Versus style, but it's literally like three lines long, and it's for a thing I'll never be using. Basically, Luca has a dream that he and Asura decided he was too powerful, and they were gonna work on holding back for the sake of fairness. It doesn't make a /whole/ lot of sense, but there you go, it unlocks Versus style (which as I mentioned before, just gives you skills like "take 2x damage, but get 4x EXP" and stuff like that.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Darth Numbers posted:

Oh geez, hopefully mine is better? Hmm, that's embarrassing. I must have missed that, I'll try to go back and get it in like a "poo poo I missed' update at the end.

I like screenshot LPs in general more than video ones, especially for dialog heavy games (if I wanted to watch a dialog heavy game, there better be voice acting and it better be engaging). And maybe you can show off stuff you missed if you decide to show off New Game+. Although, maybe you can still get those scenes if you stay at the inn multiple times.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 22, 2015

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

I like screenshot LPs in general more than video ones, especially for dialog heavy games (if I wanted to watch a dialog heavy game, there better be voice acting and it better be engaging). And maybe you can show off stuff you missed if you decide to show off New Game+. Although, maybe you can still get those scenes if you stay at the inn multiple times.

Yeah sadly only a handful of scenes in Innocence are voiced (the DS can only take so much), but I'm going to be showing them off in boss videos from now on, because it's kinda nice to hear the japanese voices I think.

I /might/ do some NG+ stuff. Unlike a lot of Tales games, Innocence doesn't have any extra content, so it would be me getting some things I missed, and dicking around with overpowered characters.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
It's time for Adventures in Hinduism As Relates To Tales Of Innocence!

quote:

“Lamenting his endless isolation, he formed the world from his body and birthed the gods. And so, all things came to be.”

Simply stated, Devaloka came into being by the death of the Primeval Giant.

The god of creation. In the beginning, there was no world, just the Giant, alone. The Giant was so lonely, he created the land from his body and the gods from his head. And while the land prospered, the number of evil gods grew. So the gods created Naraka and imprisoned the evil gods there.

This is but one of the many Hindu creation myths, where Brahma formed the world from the body of the Supreme Lord, who gave his body willingly to become the world due to a lack of any other ingredients to make a world with. However, you may notice I said 'one of many'; Hindu belief is that the world is destroyed and remade repeatedly, cycling through existences in a manner similar to reincarnation. Additionally, or in place of, there are multiple universes and existences to live within.

Now, if you want a slightly more... interesting version of this story: in the beginning, there was only Prajapati, the first creator, was alone. He split himself into two halves, husband and wife. The wife part that was Prajapati saw their union as incest, and fled. Prajapati gave chase, and she tried to keep ahead of him by shifting her form to various animals. However, Prajapati turned himself into the male of each animal form she assumed, and from their unions came all the beasts. (As a side note, this is a very popular mythos story, known as a Transformation Chase. My favorite, personally, is the folk song Twa Magicians. A version of the Transformation Chase can be found in almost every culture.)

In the Rigveda itself, the story is a bit more complex. Purusha, the primeval cosmic being, is all that exists and will ever exist. Viraji, the mundane egg or twofold male-female energy, was born from Purusha, and Purusha was born again from Viraj. The Gods sacrificed Purusha, and formed the cosmos and beings from his body and mind, most notably leading to the birth of Indra and Agni.

I'm not really qualified to interpret, but they are using a more 'friendly' interpretation of these myths, notably the ones where someone's body was used to create the cosmos. However, I feel compelled to point out again that one of the beliefs here is that the universe is cyclical; the current universe is not the only one, and when this one dies another will be born in its place. The universe always is, always has been, and always will be, but is in constant flux. You could look on the fall of Devaloka and Naraka as being the previous universe, and when they were destroyed this one came into being and some souls from the previous cycle reincarnated into this one. Alternately, that the world here is multiversal, and Naraka and Devaloka were entirely different universes adjoining this one, and when their universes were destroyed they reincarnated into a different one.

quote:

I'm a bit overleveled, and let me tell you, this fight is still loving annoying. I'm playing on Mania (the hardest difficulty) and even overleveled, once Chitose gets behind you and pulls her full combo off, you're dead.
loving CHITOSE. Oh my god she was a roadblock for me the first time playing this game - I was more or less rushing through, so I was slightly underleveled. You basically have to stunlock her, then free-run around while she's gone into her break mode, then recover and stunlock her rear end again. If you let her start moving, she wrecks poo poo, and all you can do when she can't be stunlocked is free-run your character around until she comes out of it and repeat, and hope she dies before you run out of life bottles for bringing your party back to life. If you need more than seven cycles (14 out of 15 life bottles to bring back your two party members), go level up more, because this is the check to see if you can finish the game, right here. If you can't meet the challenge of Chitose, you're not going to be able to finish - because the bosses get more ridiculous going forward.

quote:

I /might/ do some NG+ stuff. Unlike a lot of Tales games, Innocence doesn't have any extra content, so it would be me getting some things I missed, and dicking around with overpowered characters.

Hearts/Hearts R has the same problem, no bonus New Game+ content. At least, none I've found, and I've been through the game about four times now trying to accumulate enough Grade to maybe do a proper LP of it.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 23, 2015

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I played Tales of Innocence without a working R button, so I was never able to free run in battle. I have no idea how I met some of the challenges of this game. I still beat it. Maybe I just did a lot of guild dungeon stuff. Or maybe I'm just pro... nah, couldn't be.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
RelentlessImp coming to my aid with his knowledge of things I don't know, once again! Do you mind if I start linking to those explanation posts on the OP?

And yeah, Chitose is bullshit. Honestly I WAS pretty overleveled, so the fight wasn't actually that hard. The hard part was getting a recording where Spada used his Mystic Arte (didn't have to be Spada, he's just super easy to combo my tension gauge up with 4 hit basic attacks > sword rain > sword rain alpha) AND having Chitose use her mystic arte, because half the time I'd kill her before she'd use hers, or kill her because I could use one of our party members. And then there was the recording where she spammed her mystic arte SEVEN TIMES in a row. That was horseshit.

But yeah I think Chitose's mystic arte is brutal as gently caress-- considering this is one of the Tales games where you can have your party wiped out by mystic artes (in TOS2 they just reduce your HP to 1). In Tales of Symphonia, if you fought a certain boss on the highest difficulty, as soon as the battle began he would instantly use one of his FIVE (maybe more, this is off the top of my head) mystic arte's he has available to him, and instant kill your entire party if you aren't extremely lucky.

Hell, in Vesperia, Duke's Big Bang can instant kill your party on higher difficulties, and there's no way to dodge that.

Alxprit posted:

I played Tales of Innocence without a working R button, so I was never able to free run in battle. I have no idea how I met some of the challenges of this game. I still beat it. Maybe I just did a lot of guild dungeon stuff. Or maybe I'm just pro... nah, couldn't be.

When I originally played Innocence, I played it on my old DS Fat which didn't have working L /or/ R buttons and lemme tell you, for a game that's combat system is centered around switching characters, not being able to switch characters is loving hell. It's doable, just REALLY annoying. :P

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

quote:

Do you mind if I start linking to those explanation posts on the OP?

I don't mind, but please put a disclaimer before the links that I'm not super knowledgeable about this stuff myself, and may get things wrong; I'm just outputting what I know and can reverify with a Wikipedia search as it's been a while since I studied any Hindi texts. That said, the Rigveda is about as fun a read as some Norse sagas with some really metal stuff happening, so I should probably reread one of the English translations around.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Are you doing okay, Darth Numbers?

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Hey guys, kind of irresponsible of me to not post for over a month, my apologies. In the process of moving back into college things got a little hectic-- in addition to work and class, I ended up having to completely rebuild my computer which in addition to some dumb personal stuff made updating problematic. I apologize for not posting until now, been trying to get everything on track.

I really appreciate you checking in and staying invested-- I have about half an update finished, and I'm aiming to get the full update out by monday, hopefully. Sorry to drop the ball on this, lot going on and I should have thrown a "hey, this is what's up" message in there somewhere, but I just wasn't able to.

Stay tuned for the next update /hopefully/ by Monday, and thanks so much for checking in, I'm sorry for the radio silence.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 16

Sorry guys, my computer gained sentience and I had to defeat it in a tron (the original, not the daft punk one-- though I do have a love for daft punk) style montage. It was pretty cool, but it didn't leave a whole lot of time for Tales of Innocence, so let's get back into it!
Anyway, we had just finished beating up Chitose, which is fun times. Onward!

I'm fine but...

H-Hah. Hahahaha...

What are you talking about?!

Haha! Hahahaha....

Yeah, she just kind of floats up the screen.

…..

Anyway, we have to walk all the rest of the way out of the dungeon, but I'll spare you guys that.

….......

N-no...

…...

T-That sure was strange. Asura and Inanna seemed to be arguing about the Manifest...

Swing and a miss.

Sorry... I'll be fine in a bit. Just give me a minute...

Then how 'bout grabbin' somethin' to eat? Treat me to somethin' nice, hear?

Huh?! Why!?

It's almost time for the ship to depart. We need to get moving.

So where we headed next?

We're a long way from Galpos and it won't be easy to find a ship to Tenos, given the current state of affairs.

That only leaves Garam, correct?

Exactly.

You mean we seriously have no time!? Come on, let's go!

Aw man, an' here I thought we'd get to take it easy.

Seriously? Can we get food there?

S-sure... Probably.

You could have at least pretended to be happy about it...

Off to Garam we go!

Don't you know what a volcano is?

'Course I do. That's when magma comes burstin' outta the mountain from deep underground, yeah?

You really do know!

Lu' told me 'bout it on the ride here. 'Course, this is my first time seein' one. Looks pretty cool, huh?

You always seem to know so much about so many different places.

You're overestimating my knowledge. I just happen to have lived longer than you have.

But I can't imagine someone like me becoming like you, Ricardo.

I-I wonder about that...

Continuing where we left off...

Since ancient times, this has been a city of craftsmen. And where there are excellent weapons, there will be master of martial arts. The volcano is a famed training ground.

Heh, now that's more my style.

The volcano is deified in the worship of the forge.

Heh, now that ain't my style at all.

While nature worship is not uncommon, this belief system is rather unique. The Church adopted many of the local traditions when it was introduced here. Blacksmiths rely upon fire for their livelihood, and Vulcan is the god of fire.

Vulcan, the god of the forge...

We better get going before Her starts running wild.

After you walk far enough around, we trigger this skit.

The town is a frenzy. Thankfully, it does not appear to have anything to do with us.

Hmph. It appears something of great importance has happened.

Let us through, old man.

You aren't from around here, are you? This isn't a place for sightseeing. Go back to the city. Right now, Hasta the Savage is through here.

Hasta?

So go back to the city. Got it?

Oh, that nonsensical guy we met at the western battlefield?

I thought I had finished him off, but it looks like he had the gall to keep on living.

I wonder what we should do now. I suppose our only choice is to return to the city.

We can at least get some info from the townsfolk, right?

So let's go do that.

After you talk to these people, Hermana decides let's go back and advance the plot.

The volcano's up there at the top of the city, yeah? Ain' that the last place to check? We already heard most of the story from the townsfolk.

That bastard... it's weird, I can't shake the feelin' that I met him somewhere before.

You said something like that last time too.

A super creeper, huh? So, what's the plan?

I have an idea... if we volunteer to chase out Hasta, we should be able to enter the volcano.

I can't imagine anyone else in the city is capable of doing battle with him.

Now you're talkin'! I'm gonna teach him a lesson he'll never forget.

Whoa, Ria, that's dirty... Well ya do whatcha gotta do, right?

That wouldn't be right! We would be betraying the hopes of the townspeople.

Luca is right. You have to keep your promises.

Well, whatever...

You don't?!

We have to keep our priorities straight. Capturing the killer is important, but the memory circle comes first.

Even if we were unable to defeat him, I doubt anyone would blame us.

Wow Angie, ya sure got a way with words.

I would expect no less from my employer. It seems they don't call the clergy sly for nothing.

If only it were possible to get through life without resorting to lies...

Fine by me!

I... want to find him. For some reason, I feel like I gotta defeat him, no matter what.

I also bare some responsibility. While I would like to put an end to him, that is a secondary objective.

Yeah... I got it.

Somehow I doubt a bunch of tourists could stand up to him.

I'm telling you, we'll be fine!

Seriously. We're strong, hear?

Little girls, it isn't safe. Please stand back.

We've met him before, we're aware of his power. We really will be fine. We also have a mercenary who used to serve in his unit traveling with us.

Then you get it, right? Once he starts fighting, he won't stop until his opponent is dead.

That's incorrect. As you can see, I am quite alive. Next time, he won't escape with his life.

Well, if you insist. I won't stop you. Go on in.

Thanks, I guess. Finally we get into the dungeon! It has pretty rockin' music.

:siren: Garam Volcano Music :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iNRvWfrHvY

Ack! It smells like rotten eggs!

Seriously... if ya ripped a big one in here, no one would know!

It really is hot in here, even the ground temperature is incredible.

There's no doubt that this is the land of the god of the forge. Only a smith could tolerate this heat.

The god of the forge...

Thankfully, we don't need a Zora tunic in order to survive here >.>

I personally hate this dungeon. In fact, apparently it hates me too, because my avi file for the dungeon crawling here got corrupted. Rest assured, it is a lot of walking into dead ends and killing enemies.

Eventually we get this dialogue tree:

So hot... I can barely walk...

Are you okay, Her? Want me to carry you?

Listen Lu... it's the thought that counts, but you don't look too good yourself, hear?

Yeah...

Yes ma'am...

Hot!! Man, I quit! Luca, get over here and fan me!

Won't that just move around the hot air?

Ange, are you alright?

As a bodyguard, I have every intention of protecting my employer, and I go to great lenghts to do so...

Angie, if it's that bad, maybe ya oughta think 'bout a diet, hear?

(I was born.. forged in this inferno...)

Where... am I? Who are you?

Why was I born?

I am a sword, not a suit of armor. How can a sword save anyone?

Why was wishing to create an excellent weapon a mistake?

I do not understand.... I know only penetrating shields, smashing armor, breaking spirits. Have you mistaken me for armor?

…..

What is that spear's name?

What's wrong, Spada?

Nothin'. I was just thinkin' back on some stuff. Hey Ange, wrap it up already!

Very well...

Man, I thought it was never gonna end...

Why did Hasta enter the volcano?

Who knows? Try askin' him yourself.

I'd rather avoid talking to him...

Spada? Hey, Spada...

Then I am soon to begin my work. You seem... displeased. The time has come for the sword you crafted to appear in battle. Is this not a blacksmiths greatest joy?

There is one thing I would ask of you. Why did this war begin? Ratio and Sensus, why do they fight?

Does this mean the Sensus are accepting and generous?

Then... who is right?

I shall look forward to that.

Spada? Hey! Are you listening?

Huh? Yeah...

Were you remembering something?

Shut up...

A bad memory?

It ain't that... never mind, it's nothin'.

It just seems like ever since we came in here, you've been off in your own little world.

Y-yeah, the heat is really taking it out of me, but we have to keep going.

Yeah, but don't worry. You start fallin' behind and I'll get your rear end in gear.

After no small amount of walking, we can finally fight the boss. The boss video includes the pre-fight cutscene, with the voiced dialogue. I recommend checking this one in particular out, because the boss's voice is REALLY cool! Screenshots of the prefight cutscene and boss battle below, if videos aren't your thang.

:siren: Hasta Fight :siren:

Bastard, what are you going on about? Did escaping death finally cause you to snap?

Heavens, no. Behold, I remain one-hundred percent super normal.

Ugh.. I can't deal with this guy at all. Listen, we already met you once! Remember, the western battlefield?

West. M'yes. The direction the sun travels, no?

When I see the oils on your noses, my primal desires burn over. Pop. Now, shall we have fun? Enjoy!

What a vulgar individual... Worse than I had imagined.

My dear, you need more imagination. And if you don't ask what my primal desires are, the conversation dies.

This is my fault. I forgot to put a bullet in his skull last time.

Nah.

Oh, he jus' walked into the circle, didn' he?

Bing-bong...

You don't have the stomach for it, worm. Now, hurry up and die.

I will rend your very soul! Never again shall you know life!

Hmm? Now who might you be? Oh, are you perhaps, Mister Duran-dull?

BURN OF THE CENTURY.

That's enough! I'm sick of listenin' to your crap! Don't you dare call us family.

Overjoyed though I was at our reunion, how quickly did I fall into despair...

You're a weapon that can't enjoy taking life. Quite a serious illness...

Do I need to make the Sailor Moon joke?

I can't believe a guy like this is an Avatar...

Sir Ricardo, I must thank you for helping me to discover my true self.

And at last the truth of my want for blood has set me free.

Pigwald? Are you talking about Oswald?

Pig-wald! Or something wald! Well... who really cares? Strain your ears and listen to the land... do you hear it?

I'm already tired of listening to you.

This guy really wears on ya, huh?

Well said, Her. You mustn't play along, you'll surely lose brain cells.

Spada, let's do this.

Your death will be a fabulous tribute. Coming, dear!

A word about this fight, it's loving miserable on mania (The hardest difficulty). I originally recorded it on Mania in the hopes that Hasta would use his Mystic Arte (they don't use them on normal, and sometimes on hard) but as far as I know he doesn't have one in this fight in the DS version. So the take I've uploaded is the fight done on normal mode, because the mania run was incredibly long-- with me constantly healing and using life bottles. If anyone wants to see the mania run I can upload it, but it shortens the video considerable with just uploading the normal run.

And that's a wrap on the Hasta fight, folks! Tune in next time (which will be earlier than an entire month from now, I swear!) to see my personal favorite line in the game, as well as some other nifty stuff. Don't forget to check out the Update 16 skits, and have a nice day, thanks for tuning in!

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 16 Skits

Iria the Traitor

Hermana and I, 1

Asura and Sakuya's Feelings

Ange and I, 3

About Garam

About the Kelm Volcano

Hermana and I, 2

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Darth Numbers posted:

Thankfully, we don't need a Zora tunic in order to survive here >.>

You're thinking of the Goron Tunic; the Zora Tunic was for waterbreathing.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

AweStriker posted:

You're thinking of the Goron Tunic; the Zora Tunic was for waterbreathing.

Well slap me silly, I hecked up! I'm outing myself as not a True Zelda Fan I suppose, OoT isn't among my favorites :P Still, embarrassing nonetheless. Thanks for keepin' me honest!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I was also wondering why you said Zora tunic. And boy is Gaebolg crazy.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was also wondering why you said Zora tunic. And boy is Gaebolg crazy.

Yeah, I dunno why I messed that up XD I was playing through the water dungeon recently so I guess it was in the back of my mind or something.

I really like Gaebolg/Hasta, Hasta is more of like a proto Zagi from Vesperia-- but a little more interesting imo. And Hasta's voice is AMAZING, I really really like it. One of the reasons I recorded the whole pre fight scene (Even though it's like, seven minutes long, compared to the actual fight being a minute long) is because you get to hear Hasta's cool voice :P

EDIT: Got slightly delayed due to my new work schedule, stay tuned for an update later this weekend 0:

Darth Numbers fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 17, 2015

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 17

When we last left our heroes, we beat up a spear with a sword. Let's see what happens next!

Ricardo, finish him off.

As you wish. Don't move a muscle, understand?

Okay, listen up kiddies. How does this sound?

Lalalalala! I can't hear you! Come on, do it already.

Iria, have you lost your mind too?

Jus' bein' near him makes my head hurt... do it already!

Looks like the girls have rejected your proposal. Looks like there's no hope of it passing!

Hey, wait! According to the council in my head, we still have majority. Voter fraud! Stuffing the ballot box!

Uh... okay?

Enough! Ricardo, if you won't pull the trigger, I'll do it!

Sure, go for it.

When you hear this, you'll change your minds just like that.

Iria, Ricardo, are you loaded?

Fully loaded.

Wait!! Time out!! I'll tell you, I'll tell you!!

Huh? Me?

Listen closely, boy. This is the sound of a blade tearing through flesh...

I think that's the best way to stab someone. “Hey man, wanna hear what it sounds like when you get stabbed?”

!!

drat!!

You bastard!!

Forget me not, okay? Hay, cotton. I'm looking forward to our next amusing bloodbath.

Aaaand, he just loving jumps off the cliff. Okay?

Don' care, don' care! That don' matter at all! Is Lu gonna be alright!?

This is... horrible.

We need to treat him right away! Let's carry him to the city.

Belforma! Save your regrets for later! I'm making a stretcher, so lend me a hand!

…..A-all right! Luca, you're gonna be okay!

Obviously! Now, search for some wood.

Luca leaves our party for a bit, and we have to walk back to the beginning of the dungeon. But I'll spare you that.

Forget about him!! Call a doctor!

Someone's injured? Carry them to the inn! Leave the doctor to me.

Oh hey, we haven't had a flashback recently enough, right?

CERBERUS IS THE CUTEST

The unification of Devaloka... That was the trial you imposed upon me, was it not? I have come to claim my prize.

What? Are you saying that I am still not fit to receive it!?

That is not my concern.

Shut down.

LOOK HOW TINY AND CUTE CERBERUS IS!

HE'S SO LITTLE

How to use it? What does that mean?

…...Very well. I have what I was promised.

I can't loving stand how cute they made this guy.

(A new world? Really?)

A world with no inequality... the world as it was meant to be... With this power, I can change the world...

Asura studied at the Mithos school of thought.

(Not destroy it?)

The Awesome power to create a new world! In the wrong hands, this power could very well destroy all that we know...

(Destroy it? Destruction...)

(De...struction...?)

….....

JUST GUYS BEIN DUDES

Luca!! You're finally awake!!

Aaaaaaaagh!!

Spada, calm down! You're hurting poor Luca. Please remember that you are dealing with an injured person.

….How long was I out?

Three full days. We were really assuming the worst for a while there. Thank goodness you recovered...

3 days?? We gotta find Kaz! Where's Ocelot??

Nothing to see here... just heterosexual men doing heterosexual things.

Spada!! What did I just finish telling you!

It's okay... this won't kill me...!

do you get it? Like cause they have past lives? Get it?

Who gives a drat about our past lives?!

Literally everyone else, apparently.

Just seein' you open your eyes makes me so drat... happy...

COMPLETELY HETEROSEXUAL

(This is the first time anyone has said anything like that to me... is this the warmth of a friend?)

Man, seriously, I'm so happy! How 'bout one more hug?

No.

Then how about I hug you...

No!!

Lu!

Oh... good morning!

Good morning my rear end! It's already past noon, you really have no sense at all.

Now Iria, there really is no need to speak like that...

uhh

…..

Hey, I got a secret to tell ya'.

What?

'Ria was cryin' the whole time.

Yeah, I'm not angry. That's just Iria for you.

Yeah, you're strong...

Ehehehehe... Lu, thanks for wakin' up.

I've already arranged our passage to Galpos.

Did you plan on leaving Luca behind if he failed to wake up on time?

I planned on taking him along even if I had to carry him the whole way.

Are you sure? You have only just recovered...

…....I had a dream about the Devic Era. Apparently the will of the Primeval Giant is within the Manifest.

I can't say for sure, but it looks like it really can be used to create a new world.

….I think I better lie down, after all...

Would you like to rest across the way, then? I can get a bed ready.

As long as you ain't getting seasick, you mean.

There are still too many holes in our memories. In any case, let's head for Galpos.

…..............I'll deal with it later.

And that's all for this update, folks! Sorry-- I know it's a mighty short one, had a lot of stuff going on and I didn't want to come back empty handed, with regards to an update. Next time we'll get some gameplay in. Don't forget to check out the update 17 skits (there's a bunch of 'em!) and thanks for tuning in!

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 17 Skits

I'll never forgive that bastard!

About Vulcan

Birth of a God

Asura's Foster Mother

Unshakable Ricardo

Vrtra's Birth

Ange and I 4

Hermana and I, 3

EDIT: Big update coming this weekend to make up for the slowness guys, it's gonna be good! Stay tuned, hopefully things calm down around my life and we'll be back to Innocence as scheduled :)

EDIT EDIT: I know it's been a while since my last update, I swear it's still coming along! Thanks for staying invested everybody-- I'll have this update cranked out as soon as I can v.v

Darth Numbers fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 5, 2015

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 18

And we're back! Time to do some plot stuff, and then do another terrible dungeon, and then some more plot stuff. I love Innocence, but all the dungeons are dicks I tell you, dicks. We're gonna head to the harbor and go somewhere else now, off to Galpos!

We cannot do anything about that. Let us hope we have better luck in Galpos.

Indeed. It would be nice if we learned something, for a change.

Geez, cynical much?

Are we all ready to go?

We probably won't.

And now we're in Galpos! Here's a map of where we are, for reference.

So this is Galpos? Even the air here has a different smell to it.

Ugh... so humid...

That leniency is proof of a sound political strategy.

Protecting the home front is the responsibility of the victors.

Everyone seems so cheerful. It almost makes you forget the rest of the world is at war.

Hmph. Ignorance is bliss... I could never get used to a place like this.

Ricardo, you're really a mercenary through and through, huh? Do you miss the battlefield?

“Don't make me seem trigger happy. Though now that you mention it, I've always thought that loving murdering people was what I was always good at, you know?”

...I'm not cut out for that sort of stuff.

And you don't need to be. You should live free of the burden of war.

Anyway, let's go into the city-- OH NO ANOTHER CUTSCENE

That's because they have a fruit plantation here.

I jus' can' resist no more!! I gotta have me some tropical fruit.

Goodness, what are we going to do with those two?

(Ange is always looking to stuff her face... It's no wonder she keeps putting on weight.)

My, Iria, why are you looking at me like that?

N-N-N-N-No reason!!

...This heat has made me thirsty. There is nothing quite as refreshing as biting into a juicy piece of fruit.

Ricardo should work for fruit commercials.

Where the hell did Her get off to?

Apparently it's a question we must answer ourselves. Also, one quick thing, let's see what happens when we talk to a random NPC in the item shop.

Holy poo poo, Innocence! Jesus christ.

Anyway, let's go find Hermana.

Damage? What, you get hit by a typhoon or somethin'?

Looks like we'll be fighting this rear end in a top hat again.

...Sounds awful.

Sounds like Dog Boy's at it again. What's he doin' here?

Ya mean that kid from the cavern? Why's he here?

It can't be the same kid, it's just a coincidence.

Why couldn't it be????

Right, there are countless pairs of dogs following around countless troublemaking brats.

You tell 'em, Ricardo.

Well dang... We coulda' had fruit...

Anyway, time to now beat up “Dog Boy”. But first, another annoying dungeon!

But according to the references, this island should have some connection to Devaloka.

It's possible the knowledge was simply lost to the ages.

I can't believe this humidity...

I smell it...

Ain' that... I smell dogs!

You're the one who looks like a dog.

Seriously? What kind? What kinda dog do I look like?

Anyway, annoying dungeon time. This one is pretty freakin' miserable, but I'll save you guys the trouble of it.

After exploring enough, we run into this old dude!

E-excuse me! I think you have the wrong idea!

Uh....

Iria, would you mind asking this elderly gentleman something? Ask him if there are any ancient temples or places or worship in this area.

Why me?!

This type seems more your specialty.

Forget it!

The hell? These bizarre songs are a far cry from the sinful blues!

Whatever that means.

...In any case, we have our destination.

Yup! An' there ain' anyone to get in our way, like in Ashihara or Garam.

A kid?! Did he have dogs with him?

I would appreciate it if you would use expressions slightly more familiar to those of us in these tattered rags.

Uh. What?

What happened?

Whoa...

That really is a shame.

You don't have to sing!

I feel so bad for him... Yet another tragedy just because someone was born an Avatar... A tragedy invited by the Fall...

Wonder why Chien attacked the plantation...

Protectin' the animals, huh? He may not be such a bad guy.

That doesn't give him a license to bring disorder. That brat will never become a reasonable adult.

...very funny.

W-well, don't worry. We don't intend to rob you of your freedom...

So now that that huge cutscene is over, we can buy supplies and stuff from Pwo, this is a nice little pit-stop in the middle of the dungeon.

Hey, isn't that a memory circle?

So this place is connected to Devaloka. Even forgotten by the people, it remains unchanged by the passing of time.

It would seem the church's power was not necessary to the people of this land.

That must be why the land itself was deified in this belief system.

Another lecture... I ain' really interested.

Oh, my. But this is your land, Her.

Huh?

This was the center of a cult that worshiped a sacred dragon. That dragon was the deified form of nature itself. In other words, they worshiped Vrtra here.

Really? That right? In that case, guess I oughta be more thankful or somethin'...

Anyway, memory circle time.

You seem troubled.

I have lost sight of the path! How could I have come this far only to lose the very thing that I most wished to protect?!

Hmm. It would seem that there may be some difference in how the Ratio and Sensus have interpreted that passage.

What?! The Sensus have passed down this interpretation from time immemorial!

Precisely. “Two souls become as one in devotion and faith.”

Oh... I understand... Complete faith in one another, is it? Hahaha, excellent! Magnificent!

How to use the Manifest, right? But...

Oh, this rear end in a top hat again.

Oh, hey. Ain' Dog Boy, it was uh... Chien?

Right, his name is Chien. Come here, Chien. I would like to give you a hug.

Fair enough!

Now listen, you shouldn't be cooperating with someone like Mathias.

That's right, you're probably bein' used.

But... Ya' know... it's like...

Hmph. Ignorance is bliss. You're living proof of that.

The Avatars they gather are all sent off to laboratories, or the battlefield.

We were captured by the Rehabilitation Program and thrown to the military. We heard all about it.

The ignorant should be made to look stupid. Why don't you get lost and just go to your Utopia?

Hey, what's wrong with bein' stupid? Forget 'bout Mathias an' come with us.

I was all alone, see? My parents died an' I had to survive all by myself. But I had friends all 'round me. That's how I made it so far.

Jus' cuz ya ain' got no friends don' mean ya gotta depend on somebody like Mathias. We'll be yer friends, see?

Cerberus boss battle, round 2! Pretty much the same as last time, but he has a mystic arte now. As usual, video is below, but instead of screenshots this time, I'm providing you with only the highest (?) quality of gifs! I think they work better for combat, so tell me what you think please!

:siren: Chien Fight :siren:

Jus' forget about that... C'mon, how 'bout havin' Ange give you a hug?

Idiots need people to protect them. Come.

….He's a real idiot, seriously...

That's all for this time! I'm trying to get back into a timely schedule, sorry for all the delays! A couple things before I go-- do we like the gifs? Do we want dungeon crawling videos, or is screenshots just okay? Do you guys want a video of the full battle dialogue, or is just the fight okay? Feedback is super appreciated!

Also don't forget to check out the Update 18 skits, and see you guys next time!

Darth Numbers fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 10, 2015

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 18 skits

Durandal and Gaebolg

Ange's Worries

:(

Ricardo and I, 2

About Galpos

Cerberus's Destiny

Dog Boy = Chien

Unfortunate Avatars

Spada and I 3

Iria and I 3

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

... What?

quote:

Ange's Worries

Does this count as :japan:?

EDIT: I forgot to comment on the gifs. They're fine for people like me who aren't watching the battle videos (not that there's anything wrong with them, my internet is not reliable at times). But if you can space the gifs apart, that would be nice.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 10, 2015

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

... What?

Does this count as :japan:?

Yeah... I don't really know what's up with the Pwo guy XD I think whoever wrote Hasta in the game are responsible for him too to be honest.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

EDIT: I forgot to comment on the gifs. They're fine for people like me who aren't watching the battle videos (not that there's anything wrong with them, my internet is not reliable at times). But if you can space the gifs apart, that would be nice.

Yeah, I thought they would definitely be cooler than just static screenshots, so I'm glad they came out well. I spaced 'em out a bit so hopefully they're more view-able/less visually cluttered. Thanks for the feedback!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Darth Numbers posted:

Yeah, I thought they would definitely be cooler than just static screenshots, so I'm glad they came out well. I spaced 'em out a bit so hopefully they're more view-able/less visually cluttered. Thanks for the feedback!

They look good! Nice to get an idea of the combat flow.

• Locked thread