Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

Whoa, so many updates at once. I hope we can reach the next page before the next update.

Haha yeah, I figured smaller but more frequent updates works with the formula a little bit more than GIANT walls of text haha.

Hunt11 posted:

This update makes the Iria and Spada skit seem hilariously badly timed. Also it seems as though the worse thing to do would be to abandon Luca right now for he could easily see this act as validating the idea that he can trust no one. Just having the main villain trying to destroy the world is bad enough, but having the lead protagonist and potentially the most powerful avatar going nuts can not lead to anything good.

The skits are on sort of weird triggers atm, so we'll probably have a ton at the end of next update XD speaking of the next update, it's gonna be split up into a few updates, due to the amount of bosses we still need to fight ^^;

But yeah! Maybe like, don't leave the fragile lord of death and demons who can destroy the world alone! maybe don't do that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 24

We left kind of the middle of things, so let's get back into the saddle. Fair warning, this update is a whole lotta nothin', mostly just plot and exposition. Sorry about that! The next one or two updates will be the final dungeon and final bosses of the game. I just want to mention that there is an optional dungeon in this game, but it's 99 floors of randomly generated enemies and then a recolored version of the final boss, so I won't be doing it, as it's kind of pointless.

They played us like a drat fiddle!!!!

Doing it. Now then, nameless gents! Welcome to the carnival of meat!

THAT IS NOT SOMETHING YOU EVER WANT TO HEAR

How can I ever make up for this?

I was happy. I had friends who needed me. Friends from my past life..

No Luca... You possess something that not even the great Overlord Asura himself could ever obtain.

What is it?

THE REAL TALES OF INNOCENCE WERE THE FRIENDS WE MADE ALONG THE WAY!

My.... friendships.....

…..The world.... the world that I live in....

That's right... everyone is waiting for me. Father and Mother, even Eddy and Nino...

Remember those people from a bunch of updates ago?

Iria and the others too...

Where am I?

Sania... Iria's hometown...

We need to treat your wounds too... come with me!

If this were a cooler game, we'd be able to play as Chien during this time. But we can't, so it's just Luca :(

!!

…..

I- I've done something terrible... Because I destroyed Devaloka, now Naraka is in danger. Even worse, it's my fault that Avatars were reborn on Naraka. When I realized all this suffering was my fault, I lost it.

No, that's not right. At that moment, I was afraid to look everyone in the eye. Everyone knew I was to blame. I was certain I'd die of shock if I had to see the looks on your faces...

That's when I realized that... that I couldn't stand to lose any of you. Not my parents, not my friends, not Spada, not Ange, not Ricardo, not Hermana, not Coda, and... and certainly not you, Iria.

Iria...

Inanna may have betrayed Asura, but I've never betrayed you. And you know, nobody blames you for anything.

But... I have to apologize!

You're Luca, aren't you? What have you done that you need to apologize for?

Nothing...

Now come on, we're going to my house. Everybody's waiting.

So now we're in Iria's hometown, Sania. We have more plot to go through before we can do whatever we want, though.

Lu!

Luca...

Milda...

Listen here, Mr. “let's leave Luca to die”...

Luca, you...

I'm back...

That Chien behind ya?

He carried me out of Sky Castle. He's injured. Is everyone... all right?

No problems here.

We allowed the Manifest to fall into Mathias's hands...

The village is in bad shape too.

Did something happen?

They passed by the village on the way here.

They didn't pass by! They stopped in and plundered whatever they wanted from the village! Unbelievable!

I see...

I'm sure those bastards on the Privy Council want to steal back the Manifest from Mathias. The more important question is what we're going to do.

There's nothing to discuss. We're going to take back the Manifest!

Right! Who cares about what anyone else has planned!?

Yes, I agree. That is our best course of action.

Arca's headquarters is at the Tower of Dawn. It's southeast of this village.

How helpful!

All right, let's go everyone!

Cool, cutscene over. Let's go outside! OH NO ANOTHER ONE

This is my house. Feel free to rest here as long as you want.

Thanks for savin' our Lu.

Chien...

Hehe, looks like we're gonna have to teach ya how to depend on others.

Cool, cutscene over. Can I please do stuff now?

APPARENLY I CAN'T

Hey, is the airship out of commission, or what?

No, there should be no problems with it.

Right, well, we should get... Hold up. I jus' remembered somethin' important I forgot.

What is it, Her?

Devaloka ain' gone or nothin'. It's reunited with Naraka, see?

WHAT?!

How're you just gonna casually drop that on us!?

Her... is that really true?

Let's hear her out.

Well Vrtra, she saw a ton of souls fallin' to Naraka, right?

It didn' disappear, it headed for Naraka. I'm guessin' they were tryin' to unite.

Could that have been... because Inanna wished for it?

Oh! By sacrificing Asura's life, she invoked the Manifest?

And Asura also killed Inanna... which means that he also fulfilled the conditions as well.

In other words... Asura and Inanna both had their wishes granted at the same time, right?

Ya think that's the real reason everythin' got all messed up?

That's awkward.

Devaloka became a part of Naraka, but they are not connected... That is why our world is such a mess.

An incomplete world, huh?

Aw man... I knew it was my fault. If only I hadn't tried to settle things on my own...

Let me pass along some good advice that I heard earlier. You're Iria, aren't you? What have you done that's worth apologizing over?

The Iria I know would be more like... “What's that got to do with anything?!”

I have to agree. I cannot imagine you taking responsibility for anything, Iria.

Burn.

Despite all this suffering, we can do something about it. We are blessed with the Devic Artes, and the memories of our past lives. What a waste it would be if we did nothing.

drat right! We still got one job left to do. Takin' back the Manifest!

With our past lives, we have two lifetimes worth of failures to learn from. Animi, pick yourself up and walk forward!

It's time for us to settle this.

You better watch out, Mathias and Oswald!

Let's go!

Okay, NOW can I control my character... please...

Anyway, now we have an airship, and can travel anywhere we want. The game would like us to go do the final boss, but I'm actually going to go back to Tenos, to buy some extra poo poo.

So basically, GRADE is a currency you get every time you win a battle, or finish a guild quest. GRADE can be used to buy extra supplies, weapons, armor, and other stuff at the guild shops. Mostly they're used for buying new game + stuff, but since we're not doing NG+ (and I have a TON of GRADE), I just bought some of the best armor and weapons in the game for our main party.

I also thought that since we're at endgame, I'd show off the status page of all our playable characters, as well as our current friendship rating.

Now that we're all decked out in the coolest new gear, we'll go fight some people.... in the next update! Anyway, a whole lot of nothing happened in this update, which I apologize for! In the next update, we'll storm the Tower of Dawn. Make sure to check out the update 24 skits, and have a nice day!

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 24 Skits

The Imperial Army's Movements

About the Airship

Durandal's Betrayal

Feeling Rich

Iria Gets Fired Up!

I'm sick of this...

About the Tower of Dawn

About the Wars

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if that friendship level thing is there to reveal who could sacrifice who in order to use the Manifest to fully unite the two realms.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Wow, this game just went through its plot lines faster than a Nazi with a plane ticket to Argentina and a suitcase filled with gold bricks; they just resolved everything except the big bad and his wanna-be. Did the writers just kinda lose interest after Ricardo's betrayal? "Man, we sure made a lot of plot threads...eh, gently caress it, let's just resolve everything back-to-back so we can ditch this poo poo and work on a game with better character design. Seriously look at these dorks:

That isn't clothing; someone might actually wear that poo poo! Now this...

THIS is clothing."

Edit: I swear the images worked last night. Weird. Oh well, found a better one anyway.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 1, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Those images aren't showing up for me.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

Those images aren't showing up for me.

Uh oh, which ones? It looks fine from my end o:

EDIT: Oh, you gave me a scare, thought you meant the pictures from the update! Yeah thetruegentleman, I'm not seeing them either.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Sorry, I should have specified who I was talking to.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Fixed images bump! Also, why the hell did they literally wait until the LAST DUNGEON to give you any kind of transport? Even the games without vehicles will let you teleport...this game is all kinds of lazy.

Edit: also, from a narrative perspective, everyone really should have gotten the chance to call out their past lives on their bullshit, with the reward for doing so being a more powerful transformation. Basically:

Durandal never learned what Vulcan was trying to teach him

Inanna never learned that loving someone means trying to do more than half-assed "please don't change the world" speeches to save them.

Chronos needed a new spine to get over his 'onii-chan' issues.

Vritra could probably use a hug; being forever alone would create some nasty trauma.

Orifiel...actually did kind of have his issues resolved by Ange; Asura will be resolved by the end of the game too. Too bad they're the only ones.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 31, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

EDIT: The Innocence picture is cute. (I really got to remember to be specific)

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 31, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

thetruegentleman posted:

That isn't clothing; someone might actually where that poo poo! Now this...

THIS is clothing."

Edit: I swear the images worked last night. Weird. Oh well, found a better one anyway.

Hermana and Ricardo's bullet belts aside I think they're doing better than Hearts is, personally.

Hisui, Ines and Kor seem to be the most probable outfits out of everyone.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
That is the one thing i do have to say about Innocense. The costumes are less "standout-ish" than in other Tales games.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Hermana and Ricardo's bullet belts aside I think they're doing better than Hearts is, personally.

:thejoke:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It was bound to happen at some point.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Hisui, Ines and Kor seem to be the most probable outfits out of everyone.

I beg to differ; at least the way it's shown there Shing/Kor is likely wearing a full jumpsuit with a belt and a vest. What real person would do that?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AweStriker posted:

I beg to differ; at least the way it's shown there Shing/Kor is likely wearing a full jumpsuit with a belt and a vest. What real person would do that?

I didn't know. I didn't look that close. I thought it was just a outfit set that all just matched up together I didn't realize it was a jumpsuit!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

RareAcumen posted:

I didn't know. I didn't look that close. I thought it was just a outfit set that all just matched up together I didn't realize it was a jumpsuit!

For some reason, I love how this concerns you more than the lightning bolt that runs down Kor's right side of the body.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

thetruegentleman posted:

For some reason, I love how this concerns you more than the lightning bolt that runs down Kor's right side of the body.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about when I said that I thought it was just a set of clothes that all matched. I thought it was pants and a shirt thing that both had a lightning bolt that continues from both uninterrupted.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

thetruegentleman posted:

That's actually what clued me in to the fact that it's a jumpsuit (that and what's visible of the zipper below his belt).

The vest is atrocious too since it's a croptop with long sleeves.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder if that friendship level thing is there to reveal who could sacrifice who in order to use the Manifest to fully unite the two realms.

Do you mean like to affect what Mathias says at the sky castle? That's all scripted, no matter what she says like "you have a bond with iria, we gotta kill her" there. Friendship affects skits during the game, and the ending cutscene/some skits after the endgame, and that's really it ^^;;

EDIT: I'm just about finished wit the details of the last few updates and then I'll post them in quick succession once they're done, this week got hectic but we'll finish this game goddammit!

Darth Numbers fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 10, 2016

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Update 25

This is it, guys. The last dungeon. The final battle....s. It's been a long time coming, let's do it! I'm posting this update for now without the videos (gifs only), as the boss videos ran extremely long (one of them is 20 minutes), so I'll edit the post and add in the videos once they're done rendering.

Here's the music that plays inside the Tower, I think it's really cool so it might be worth listening to as you read this update. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSW7KVPEFOY

Hmph. What a miserable scene. How much blood has been spilt over the Manifest, without even knowing what it's capable of?

We really gotta bust our way through this mess? What a pain in the rear end!

The place is engulfed in like, a sandstorm and it's kind of awesome.

There's a TON of enemies.

So the entire dungeon is basically a slow climb up a tower, except for the fact that there's huge blind spots and enemies literally everywhere and it sucks. I'm gonna be running from every fight here.

It goes on like this... for a while.

Save point.... boss time?

TIME TO FIGHT HASTA AGAIN

To bring smiles to the faces of children and to obtain inner peace, might I eviscerate you in a manner most comical?

Hey man, at least he asks.

He's back...

“Freak”? How is it that you know my mother's name? Aw well, whatever. Just die. I'll kill you all right here. And then it's Mathias next.

Which side are you on, exactly?

Certainly I am not on yours. Okay, yes. Battle time.

As usual, video and gifs below. This fight is a pain because his two helper things are MISERABLE to deal with. Also Hasta has a bunch of HP, and devastating moves. I had to use Holy Water a few times, which fully heals and revives my teammates. As much as the AI tries its best, it wasted most of my life bottles in this fight, so I have to run out and restock before moving on :( Also, the bit where I'm just sliding back and forth on him, I'm trying to get him to trigger his Mystic Arte.

Hasta Fight! Again!

Hahahahahahahaha! Hahahaha!

drat, he's still moving...

Gotcha! Just a little bravado.

Just desserts, bastard! I hope you suffer!

Ow... I don't care anymore. The weak die. That's just how it goes.

Like I'd tell you!

Hasta la vista, baby...

That my friends, is localizing at its finest.

That's true... Really felt like he went all-out with his Avatar life.

He found joy in making other people suffer! He was nothing but trouble...

It would seem the soldiers have stormed the tower. We don't have time to deal with them, let's hurry.

The dungeon is the same, so let's keep going.

Aaaaand now boss number two for the Tower.

Ya hear somethin'?

...Something is approaching.

Something something metal gear joke.

I knew you were power-hungry, but man, you better lay off the snacks!

What do you hope to accomplish by defeating Mathias?

That's uh, a very impressive spin you just did?

That's...

How dare you desecrate his remains!! Don't think you'll leave here alive!

For all of Pig-wald's boasting, this fight is EXACTLY the same as all the other times we've fought metal gear (except it's harder). Not even a shiny mystic arte to warrant recording.

Good-bye, Oswald. Cook until well-done.

Sauteed pork, yeah?

That does not sound very appetizing.

With this, my brother can rest in peace.

...Let's move on.

This is it, the final cutscene. Who's ready??

Imbecile! You are the only one who can! Now hurry!

I cannot do it... you ask the impossible.

That girl's voice...

If you say that you love me, now is the time to prove it!

I... love you... but...

Seriously... yer' as cruel as they come...

All that Chitose wants it to be loved in return. Even if only by the tiniest bit...

What an outrageous demand. In that case, prove your feelings for me!

Incredible... do you have an ounce of humanity left in you? Why are you so intent on destroying the world!?

I do not need a reason!

I mean, it kinda feels like you do?

It would appear that discussion is meaningless.

Yeah, I totally agree. Sometimes you just gotta bust out a good ol-fashioned rear end-kickin'.

….I'm really starting to feel sorry for you.

Hell yeah, Luca!

As long as you're here, Asura and Inanna can't rest in peace. I will defeat you and bring peace back to this world!

Right! I'm sick of all this past life crap, I'm kissing this nonsense goodbye!

Man, you really don't pull any punches, do you, Iria?

Heh, look at that! Vulcan's desire and Hartman's lessons ain't so different after all! Watch me from those green fields, Vulcan!

Oh, I have a good idea. When this is all over, we should all go get something good to eat. So everyone, promise me that you will not get hurt.

For the sake of the people of Devaloka and Naraka, we won't lose!

Final boss time! This is it folks, the final battle. I've actually cheated myself some life bottles so I didn't have to go all the way out of the dungeon and all the way back. I know it's not super professional, sorry about that. Even with those life bottles, this fight is TWENTY MINUTES LONG. At low levels she spams Meteor Storm and her mystic arte, both of which are not fun. She's tough, but we're tougher. As usual, gifs and video below. Enjoy!

Mathias Battle!

A lot of the fight is her spamming meteor storm.

Iria's right. If you're reborn, why not just enjoy your life?

Shut up! Shut... up! Shut.... up....

Chitose...

I will remain by your side... I am yours... eternally...

…..

Stupid girl... there's no meaning in dying...

Maybe not to us, but her heart was always set on Asura. Perhaps she found happiness in her own way.

Wow that's kind of a hosed up thing to say dude.

I can't understand that...

It's still here.

So... what do you plan on doing?

Excuse me, Her?

J-jus' kiddin'!

Should we seal it away? That's another option.

That might be a good idea.

So we should return the world to it's original form.

Sorry, what was that Lloyd Irving?

That was what Asura wanted to do too.

I have been thinking... “Two shall stand before me in devotion and faith, yet a single soul shall inherit my power.”

Huh?

The Giant was lonely. I believe he created the world to become an enjoyable, lively place.

Oh... I like that. Hearin' that makes the Primeval Giant seem a bit cuter.

In other words, Luca's wish is the Giant's wish. Given that, I'm sure no one will object.

Well then, what are we waiting for?

Then...

Here's the part where friendship actually matters! Whoever you have the most friendship with, Luca will pick here. I'm going to showcase everyone's scene, starting with Ange, who I had highest friendship with my first playthrough. The cutscene after this one is the same regardless of who you pick, so I'm going to show off all the possibilities here before moving on.

ANGE

Yeah, it has to be you, Ange. You were always there, kindly watching over me.

Mmm... I am truly happy. Now, I believe you needed my assistance, correct?

You have become someone I can truly depend on. I really am happy.

IRIA

You sure? I might end up betraying you again...

Come on, cut that out! There's no one I'd rather be standing with.

Well, if that's not like you, I don't know what is.

Well, then... I'll just say it right out. I-I, um... I lov--

What? Huh? Speak up dimwit, I can't hear you!!

SPADA

Just heterosexual men doing heterosexual things.

Of course. There's no one I have more faith in than you.

I'm honored. Once as your sword, now as your shield, together we saved the world.

Seriously, LOOK HOW CUTE THAT IS

How about one tweak? The world's greatest knight!

Hahaha! Spada, you're the world's greatest friend!

RICARDO

Very well. Let's put an end to this.

Come on... shouldn't we do this with more grace and reverence?

Really? Then I'll just have to help teach you what it means to have a heart again, from now on.

Haha... whatever you say...

HERMANA

Right on! I'm up, yeah?

Ahahaha. You don't have to get that excited over it, Her.

Course I'm excited! I mean, Lu, ya chose me.

There's nobody I can depend on like you, Her.

Ehehe... man, Really, this's like... ya know...

And now onto the final cutscenes, which don't care about who you 'romanced'.

Hey! The Manifest is gone!

That is how it should be. The will of the Giant, the Manifest, has become one with our world.

Did we really restore the world?

Again, Lloyd should sue.

Looks like it, see for yourself.

Yeah...

It appears our Devic Artes are gone as well.

So what's everyone plannin' to do now?

You all have places to return to, right?

Where should we go?

Isn't your village closer?

It's fine. After all, Regnum's where I first met you, Dimwit Luca.

Let's all go then! All together!

It's strange... somehow I thought we would all be together forever.

Hmph. You can travel whenever you'd like. Life is merely a series of endless journey... Life's little destinations are always changing, as are the people who will accompany you.

So, what's everybody's plan now?

I'm worried about the Grigori bunch. With Gardel gone and no one to lead them, I'm sure they're in a panic. I want to set them free of their duties... something like that.

Hah. I wouldn't expect brats to understand the joy in fulfilling one's job.

Ricardo, we are truly blessed to have had you in our employ. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

:(

So what about you, Her?

Guess first I gotta check up on the kids I was carin' for.

That's my secret base. You better take good care of it!

Oh? Where do you plan on going?

Ain' decided yet. I wanna send those kids to school, but first I gotta earn some money.

Send them to my school once I build it! Free of charge.

Well... I'm outta here. Lu, ya ain' that strong, so don' push yerself too hard, hear?

Haha, I'll be alright.

I get it already...

Ya still make me worry... Well, I'm outta here. Later!

Now then, I really must return to Naos and work to rebuild the Grand Cathedral. I was the one who destroyed it, after all.

Do you have that kind of money?

uh hi there

All right! That takes care of that!

(Shh!! Iria!)

In my past life, when I was captured, I was about to cause an enormous disaster. Were it not for you, who knows what might have happened... so please allow me to return the favor. Will you return to Tenos with me?

I would be honored to join you in Tenos.

Ange sure is lucky...

Man, she really knows how to work it!

That's it?!

L-let's talk longer!

Oh yeah

Oh yeah, that's right. My house is in the residential district, so come hang out any time.

Yeah, tomorrow even. Iria, we have a lot in common. It's been fun. I'm still no match for you when it comes to messin' with Luca.

Hehe, later.

:(

Yeah.

Well, I guess I should go. I have to help rebuild my village.

Yeah...

Become a great doctor, Luca. You can do anything you set your mind to, I just know it. Goodbye...

Goodbye.

And now we end the game as we started it, alone, in Regnum. Talking to some NPCs reveals that the Fallen Rehabilitation Program was disbanded, since no one has powers anymore. It's been a long time coming, let's go home.

Were you... waiting for me?

I see... Well, thanks for coming to welcome me!

I don't mind helping, but I expect you to treat me to something for it.

Aww yeah, lookit that character development.

Now then, what should I say to Mother and Father?

I'm sorry I made you worry.

I'm home...

And now, an epilogue.

There are so many more important things.

I discovered myself.

I regained myself.

In this magnificent world, our journey continues.

Credits roll.

And that my friends, is the end of Tales of Innocence for the Nintendo DS. Thank you all so very much for being here with me, I have a followup post with some questions for you guys in a second.

Darth Numbers fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 21, 2016

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
All right guys, it took a really long time, but we're finally finished with Tales of Innocence. I had a lot of fun LPing this game for you guys, and I hope that you enjoyed it as well. This was my very first LP, and that's clear in a lot of the earlier updates-- I didn't think to use gifs (even though it was suggested to me on the first page of the thread!) until more than half way in. I didn't have a very good process until the first couple updates, and then real life intervened and updates were few and far between.

Other than the time factor (I know I really dropped the ball on that one, I'm sorry my updates took so long to produce, school and work and life got in the way a lot of the time), is there anything you guys think I could have done better? I'm not sure if people usually ask for feedback when they finish their LPs, but if there's anything I did well/not so well that could help in the future, I'd love to hear it.

Once again, thank you guys so much for sticking through this for me, and hopefully I've converted a few people to the religion of Tales of Innocence, a very underrated game in my opinion.

Darth Numbers fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 21, 2016

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
So you're not doing The Restricted/Forbidden dungeon? It's fun, especially the bees

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

mastersord posted:

So you're not doing The Restricted/Forbidden dungeon? It's fun, especially the bees

I'm not, and I'm not doing the fabled recipe sidequest either-- I got locked out of the latter by accident and the former is 100 floors of really hard enemies that rewards you with a reskin of the final boss that's like 10x harder than her :P There's some extra content I'm considering uploading (like the recording of the chitose fight where she used her mystic arte 15 times in a row), I'm not sure yet.

Sorry if you wanted to see that!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Thanks for playing this game. It was an interesting look at one of the portable Tales games. I was wondering, are you going to show the little scenes you get from staying at the inn?

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

Thanks for playing this game. It was an interesting look at one of the portable Tales games. I was wondering, are you going to show the little scenes you get from staying at the inn?

Hasta video is uploaded, still waiting on Mathias!

Also, which scenes are you referring to? The inn scene that I skipped on purpose was the short skit for "versus style", where Luca mentions he's been defeating people too easily, and decides to 'hold back', and you unlock Versus Style, the handicap one :P

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Thank you, and congrats. The game felt kinda...rushed at the end, but what can you do? Remake the game with two new characters that come from another planet apparently; given how nonsensical that is, one can't help but feel Innocence really isn't a company favorite.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

thetruegentleman posted:

Thank you, and congrats. The game felt kinda...rushed at the end, but what can you do? Remake the game with two new characters that come from another planet apparently; given how nonsensical that is, one can't help but feel Innocence really isn't a company favorite.

Mathias battle uploaded!

A major issue is definitely hardware limitations, the dungeons all suck because it's a DS game, and most of a Tales Of game is dungeons, you know? The Mystic Artes and spells aren't as fantastical as in other games, etc etc. I think that the characters and plot are uniquely great (other than some Lloyd-ing) at the end there, but it is definitely pretty rushed.

Exactly! And it's a huge shame because the gameplay in Innocence R is fantastic, and the graphics are great, but adding in two characters without past lives kind of ruins the entire game? like completely? (also it has the random encounter system, why???)

It's weird, because I was under the impression that Hearts sold worse than Innocence (perhaps these games are just not meant to be on the DS), yet Hearts got a remake that was localized for some reason. No hating on Hearts, but man I wish there was more love for Innocence. This poor game came out nine years ago, and as far as I know this is the only complete SSLP of it-- there's a few video LPs, but I honestly don't think Tales of Innocence is the sort of game that benefits at all by live commentary.

And thinking about it, I was probably fairly underleveled for Mathias (even though I did a fair bit of grinding) due to the difficulty setting I was on. The LP probably would have gone a lot smoother (maybe Mathias wouldn't have been 20 minutes long) if I had done it as a New Game+, and bought the upgrades that let you do a new playthrough with 99 of each item (normally the max you can carry is 15), and extra EXP etc etc. Hopefully even as a first time playthrough and LP it went okay though!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Darth Numbers posted:

Also, which scenes are you referring to? The inn scene that I skipped on purpose was the short skit for "versus style", where Luca mentions he's been defeating people too easily, and decides to 'hold back', and you unlock Versus Style, the handicap one :P

I mentioned it earlier in the thread that staying at an inn (literally paying to stay there) shows you scenes of your party members's past lives. Nothing too exciting, just background stuff. They don't appear all at once though, I think story progression causes more to show. If you have a save before the point of no return, I think you could go to an inn and get the scenes. If not, then you don't have to go out of your way to get them.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

I mentioned it earlier in the thread that staying at an inn (literally paying to stay there) shows you scenes of your party members's past lives. Nothing too exciting, just background stuff. They don't appear all at once though, I think story progression causes more to show. If you have a save before the point of no return, I think you could go to an inn and get the scenes. If not, then you don't have to go out of your way to get them.

Ahh, what you're referring to is a New Game+ only thing, which I just learned. I was confused because I used Inns a lot in my playthrough, and the only inn cutscenes I got were the Innocence Style cutscenes.

There's also separate "Called upon by [past life]" skits, that you get ONLY by unlocking innocent style on a NG+, unless that's what you're talking about? Regardless, both of those things are New Game+ only, which explains my confusion.

Darn, now I really wish I had done this LP on a NG+ >.<

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
I did some digging, so the extra skits in new game plus are triggered by unlocking Innocence Style and sleeping at an in on your NG+ playthrough. Which means that you'd have to not carry over styles in the NG+, and play till I get every character, then unlock Innocence Style, which seems like it'd take a lot of time ^^; If only there was a dump of all the skits or something. I mean it's possible I could just cheat to have everyone max level and power through the game until I've unlocked everyone, then sleep in Inns for days and try to get the skits? It's embarrassing, I wish I had known it was NG+ only, sorry y'all :(

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

How did you record this game, again? I've been tooling around with the idea of a DS LP and I don't know if I would be able to manage it.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Alxprit posted:

How did you record this game, again? I've been tooling around with the idea of a DS LP and I don't know if I would be able to manage it.

For screenshots I used DeSmuME's built in screenshot function that I mapped to a PS3 controller button, put in a folder organized by update and type (main update or skit update). During the update I used numbers as placeholders for the pictures, and once the update was fully typed out I used irfanview to batch crop and resize the pictures to only the top screen of the DS, at double the DS's resolution so they look nice and pretty. Then I uploaded them to lpix using rightload, copy and pasted the img links into a notepad file, and pasted them in to match the placeholder number in the update file.

For videos, I used DeSmuME's built in avi recording function to record the raw video, then cropped and resized it using an avisynth script, then converted it back to .avi using virtualdub. For gifs, I used a different avisynth script (to make the video the same size as my pictures so the gifs aren't huge), then loaded that into virtualdub, and used the "export as gif" function for different parts of the video that I felt represented the boss battle as a whole.

Hope that helps!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Darth Numbers posted:

Ahh, what you're referring to is a New Game+ only thing, which I just learned. I was confused because I used Inns a lot in my playthrough, and the only inn cutscenes I got were the Innocence Style cutscenes.

There's also separate "Called upon by [past life]" skits, that you get ONLY by unlocking innocent style on a NG+, unless that's what you're talking about? Regardless, both of those things are New Game+ only, which explains my confusion.

Darn, now I really wish I had done this LP on a NG+ >.<

Darth Numbers posted:

I did some digging, so the extra skits in new game plus are triggered by unlocking Innocence Style and sleeping at an in on your NG+ playthrough. Which means that you'd have to not carry over styles in the NG+, and play till I get every character, then unlock Innocence Style, which seems like it'd take a lot of time ^^; If only there was a dump of all the skits or something. I mean it's possible I could just cheat to have everyone max level and power through the game until I've unlocked everyone, then sleep in Inns for days and try to get the skits? It's embarrassing, I wish I had known it was NG+ only, sorry y'all :(

That makes sense. Looking back, the guy who did that terrible Innocence LP did say he was playing on NG+. And no worries if you can't get those skits.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
Thanks for the LP, Darth! This game has some really fantastic banter and character interactions, even by Tales standards, and it was nice to be able to experience that without having to slog through the obnoxious dungeons (and with 90% less Coda than the actual game).

Any plans to put this on the Archive?

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

MonstrousMouse posted:

Thanks for the LP, Darth! This game has some really fantastic banter and character interactions, even by Tales standards, and it was nice to be able to experience that without having to slog through the obnoxious dungeons (and with 90% less Coda than the actual game).

Any plans to put this on the Archive?

Sorry I missed this post! Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it-- and yes, I think the game is 100% more enjoyable without Coda :P
I learned a lot of things over the course of this LP, so I think it could have been better if I had known these things to start off, but I think it ended up pretty well.

How would I go about getting this put on the Archive?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Contact LP's god and supreme savior: Baldurk.
It helps if you get your OP in line with direct links to your updates.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Contact LP's god and supreme savior: Baldurk.
It helps if you get your OP in line with direct links to your updates.

Will do! I think the OP has direct links to updates, unless I did it wrong? The links should bring you to the page and post number for each update

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Darth Numbers posted:

Will do! I think the OP has direct links to updates, unless I did it wrong? The links should bring you to the page and post number for each update

By Direct Links, I think he means that if you click them from the OP you get the single post view. If you don't understand what I mean the FF VIII LP already does it for an example..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

MythosDragon posted:

By Direct Links, I think he means that if you click them from the OP you get the single post view. If you don't understand what I mean the FF VIII LP already does it for an example..

Ahhh. I think I understand, but I'm having trouble getting the formatting right. If someone knows the specific way to format that, I'd appreciate it!

• Locked thread