Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WetNightmare

by sebmojo
the grocery line is just like, me, these things i want to eat, and this conveyer belt? lmao! this poo poo is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao

HOW THE gently caress DOES THE CONVEYOR KNOW WHEN TO STOP...

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
The conveyor belt runs through each aisle, and you type what you want intoa computer and it brings to you.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

WetNightmare

by sebmojo

MinorLeagueAllstar posted:

the scanner lady is also a conveyer belt lady. scanner/conveyer belt ladies are all millionaires due to technical line of work

----------------

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I'm not allowed in my local grocery store anymore

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Wanted to feel my naked bottom on the conveyor belt for reasons

pig slut lisa

irl is good

how do you know which line to get in is my question. i always get really nervous. what if i pick wrong

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I feel like if I pick the wrong person they will feel like I'm stalking them so sometimes I leave that line and go to another line and try to act inconspicuous.

joke_explainer

Julio, it's okay. It's just a simple photoelectric sensor near the end of the conveyor. When it senses the light from the other side is obstructed, it stops the belt. This is useful, it keeps the belt off whenever anything is within reach of the cashier. These are very cheap electronics; it's basically a little diode that generates a signal when light shines on it, and a light source on the other side.

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

joke_explainer posted:

Julio, it's okay. It's just a simple photoelectric sensor near the end of the conveyor. When it senses the light from the other side is obstructed, it stops the belt. This is useful, it keeps the belt off whenever anything is within reach of the cashier. These are very cheap electronics; it's basically a little diode that generates a signal when light shines on it, and a light source on the other side.

we live in the future

mycophobia
thanks joke_explainer

very informative explanation

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

joke_explainer posted:

nice, didn't know that

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

WetNightmare

by sebmojo

Luvcow posted:

Wanted to feel my naked bottom on the conveyor belt for reasons

lol

----------------

WetNightmare

by sebmojo
actually that is the coverup story. conveyer belt ladies are magic, they are conveyer belt whisperers and they say "conveyer belt, stop" with their minds. they can do this while they do other things like ring up your total and tell you your savings.

----------------

smoobles

it's hard for me to convey my feeling sometimes, maybe if i had a conveyor belt except for emotions

----------------

joke_explainer

smoobles posted:

it's hard for me to convey my feeling sometimes, maybe if i had a conveyor belt except for emotions

that'd be really bad. Whenever the space was unoccupied, you'd move forward with your emotions. So like, your girlfriend proposes, you are silent for a second, then are like 'Yeah, I don't really think that's a good idea. This blindsided me.'

I don't know maybe more honesty is good. who knows. Smoobles, be honest with your girlfriend. she loves you

nonazis

The ants. They're everywhere, man. Big fuckers.
grocery store lines are hard in my town, because the bathrooms don't have anything to cut out a line on inside of the stalls. do not reccomend.

google THIS

tfw you're behind someone with not many items but then they get all price-checky

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i want to wear the conveyer belt

google THIS

your tongue basically is a conveyor belt. think about it

WetNightmare

by sebmojo

Bo-Pepper posted:

i want to wear the conveyer belt

that would be loving insane

----------------

WetNightmare

by sebmojo

google THIS posted:

your tongue basically is a conveyor belt. think about it

poo poo i am insane now

----------------

joke_explainer

for a long time, queue management in in lines has been many different registers, then a line for each one. most grocery stores operate like this.

several stores are trying to change that. it's been known for a long time that in queue management, it's easier to have a single line, which then is dished out to multiple employees one at a time. This eliminates any wasted time where people are switching positions or where a cashier runs out of people to scan though some still exist in other queues.

it's proven it takes less time, shaving off minutes from your average grocery store trip. banks use this strategy, as does your typical phone system queue.

what's odd though, is that even though it takes less time, customers seem to hate it. it may just be resistance to change. one typical complaint was that the person felt like they did a better job sniping a good position in line when they were seperate queues. that might be true, but why should they build the grocery store around your desire to get an unfair slice of the queuing pie? both waiting for the right opportunity and the system overhead are unacceptable in my opinion.

anyway, ask your grocery store to go to a single queue, so everybody isn't wasting their lives in grocery store lines any more than is needed.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

joke_explainer posted:

for a long time, queue management in in lines has been many different registers, then a line for each one. most grocery stores operate like this.

several stores are trying to change that. it's been known for a long time that in queue management, it's easier to have a single line, which then is dished out to multiple employees one at a time. This eliminates any wasted time where people are switching positions or where a cashier runs out of people to scan though some still exist in other queues.

it's proven it takes less time, shaving off minutes from your average grocery store trip. banks use this strategy, as does your typical phone system queue.

what's odd though, is that even though it takes less time, customers seem to hate it. it may just be resistance to change. one typical complaint was that the person felt like they did a better job sniping a good position in line when they were seperate queues. that might be true, but why should they build the grocery store around your desire to get an unfair slice of the queuing pie? both waiting for the right opportunity and the system overhead are unacceptable in my opinion.

anyway, ask your grocery store to go to a single queue, so everybody isn't wasting their lives in grocery store lines any more than is needed.

this is what they do at Michaels when I'm buying art supplies and it makes me nervous because it's like cattle being herded together and I'm never sure if I could have gotten to a cashier faster if there were little separate lines

GEExCEE

I loving Love Science

GEExCEE

I remember when the conveyor belt at the super market was hand-cranked by a team of six genoese galley slaves... my how times have changed

joke_explainer

Luvcow posted:

this is what they do at Michaels when I'm buying art supplies and it makes me nervous because it's like cattle being herded together and I'm never sure if I could have gotten to a cashier faster if there were little separate lines

you can't, or if you could, you are a net slowdown to everyone else. our policies for queuing should minimize time for everyone overall! good for michaels

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
also with only one big line you have to cross this wide open chasm of floor space to get to the cashier when they call you and I'm always nervous people are watching me and I might go too fast or too slow or trip. It feels like I'm Liam neesons daughter in taken and I'm being paraded out as a sex slave in front of leering Arab men.

GEExCEE

Luvcow posted:

also with only one big line you have to cross this wide open chasm of floor space to get to the cashier when they call you and I'm always nervous people are watching me and I might go too fast or too slow or trip. It feels like I'm Liam neesons daughter in taken and I'm being paraded out as a sex slave in front of leering Arab men.

you're insane

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

GEExCEE posted:

you're insane

yeah that's what some of those people behind me might be thinking and it gets me really nervous

Grass Effect
they do that cool one-line queue thingy at Fry's

tao of lmao

joke_explainer posted:

ok but get this: the whole queue is a conveyor belt like luggage pickup at the airport only you get to ride it

joke_explainer

ok but get this: the whole queue is a conveyor belt like luggage pickup at the airport only you get to ride it

that would be so rad.

nonazis

The ants. They're everywhere, man. Big fuckers.

the best part of any trip I've ever taken was going on the moving sidewalks at the airport in Minneapolis

ron color

WetNightmare posted:

that would be loving insane

WetNightmare posted:

poo poo i am insane now

Luvcow posted:

yeah that's what some of those people behind me might be thinking and it gets me really nervous

lol

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

google THIS posted:

tfw you're behind someone with not many items but then they get all price-checky

tfw you're cashing out that rear end in a top hat

----------------

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

this would suck at a walmart

Swizzbutt

grocery stores are intentionally designed to be confusing in the item arrangement so that you spend more time looking at things you had no intention of seeing. self checkout machines save grocery stores many employees salaries at the guise of convenience to the customer, yet you are now doing work that was previously paid for, for nothing. because a lot of food has "best by" dates rather than expiration dates many grocery stores simply throw away perfectly edible food, and it is illegal to take this food and donate it. membership cards exist to track your spending habits and better serve you coupons which make you spend money you might have otherwise not.

Frances Nurples

but that's where the food lives though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton

not my real name posted:

but that's where the food lives though?

this is why we need grocery stores. everyone please think of the food, when you shop online yuou endanger the homes of thousands, perhaps millions of food itmes.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

• Locked thread