Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Despite the poor points in the design, it does look like they tried to do something cool, and I appreciate they resisted the temptation to make all the aliens humans with funny foreheads and/or blue tits.

Can you collect any SENTIENT alien creatures or is the "non-sentient" bit in front of every single one you collect just a formality?

Also what if you disable an enemy ship in space combat, but DON'T kill off the entire crew? Boarding actions? Prisoners for the cargo hold? Or can you not collect all their junk until everyone on board is dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
That last little alien is adorable, and the Skeetch look surprisingly non-horrifying compared to the other things we've been meeting so far.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Man, I'd feel terrified knowing all those creatures are in the hold right now, snarling and slavering and wanting to be released on the ship.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Xander77 posted:

The Tharaddash required you to go to their homeworld and defeat a certain number of ships before they would ally with you. Not saying this game would *every* copy Star Control 2 quite so blatantly, so I imagine you'd have to find a random large group, destroy a few, and the rest will be willing to talk to you. If the game is feeling particularly merciful, you won't even have to do that all over again every time you want to talk to this race.

Alternately, maybe we need to surrender or something. Show them the value of pacifism.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

How about Employment? Recruiting some pirates would be a totally great idea.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Man, the way the Ghebrant speak/write just makes me irrationally annoyed, it just wastes so much time with filler.

I also remain impressed that they managed to make all the alien wildlife NOT look like palette-swapped stuff from Earth, really some of the more original alien wildlife designs I've seen in a while, and few of them look completely unbelievable.

Is there any sort of warning if Earth's defense efforts are about to crumble without your cash injections? Or do you just get a rude surprise if you've been slacking on it for too long?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So, uh, what about that creepy goddamn "Kulabah" planet? Can you even go down to it and look around? Is there anything of interest there? Or does it just look unsettling as hell?

Also kind of a shame they didn't do a better job with this game, the concept's not bad at all, but it feels like they severely skimped on adding content and just about any other execution of the space combat would've gone over better...

Thanks for the LP, Samovar, this is definitely one game I'd never have played myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Aaaaand now I remember what I was missing. It's the one with mana-extracting golems, right?

Yes, that absolutely terrible game.

• Locked thread