Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

The opening words of the legendary book, Mastering the Art of Cooking posted:

Everything is delicious.

It was the Master Chef, long ago, who introduced the concept that taste is mightiest of the senses. In all known thinking species, it holds the widest potential, the most powerful reactions, the greatest satisfaction. In her great Empire the quest began to pursue the ultimate flavors--scouring the world, the sky, and the earth beneath to find the ingredients which would combine for the best recipes ever known.

Yet the Master Chef’s reign grew corrupt--dependent on butters, oils, and fats, and it was not long before the people began to bloat and die. The Master Chef refused to back down, citing taste above all, and so with great sadness her subjects combined, and cast her down. This began the world as we know it now, with the founding of the first Michelin Empire. Twelve times the Empire has risen and fallen again, sometimes withering from lack of spices, other times crumbling from inadequate preparations, and falling from within and without to sources from all ends of the spectrum.

Recently the Empire has risen again, resurrected from a great plague of food poisoning by a mighty chef, and with him have arisen a new host of Icons, stars of the culinary world who shine brighter than all others. And so a new era begins, walking the thin line between decadence and frugality, between rich indulgence and healthy sustenance. All around the world, aspiring young chef-explorers rise to the challenge, setting out to scour the world, find the right ingredients, and assemble the greatest recipes to form the most spectacular feasts in the history of the world. It is the dawn of the...

= = =

...What?

You heard me. It’s the dawn of the 13th Course of the world, the next phase in the great culinary adventure that is life, and you aren’t just going to sit around and wait for someone to serve you. You're a cook-explorer in the great Michelin Empire, the Red Book has just been updated, and the world is eager to see what you have to offer for the next course. I need five Level 1 13th Age characters. I’ll be vetting your apps with a panel of independent celebrity judges, but this is my first rodeo as a GM, so I’d like to politely ask you to not whip out the really fancy nonsense on me. Apps will probably close one week from tomorrow, Saturday, May 16. The deadline may be extended if time does not allow on my end.

How the hell does this work?

This is a stupid joke from the Spellslinger game that rapidly inflated out of control, and we're going to explore where it goes together. The Icons of the 13th Course share many aspects with those of the 13th Age, in temperaments, powers, etc.--the Three are still dragons, for instance. However, there are numerous key differences. For those and other key information, see here.

Ideally you should be submitting something with some kind of culinary background, or a background that can otherwise be applied to cooking. This isn’t necessary, but if your character isn’t a cook by trade, tell me why they’re answering the challenge of becoming one of the world’s greatest chefs! And don’t feel like you need everything to be cooking-related--in the words of the Archmage, versatility is the key!

The life of a chef in the Michelin Empire is one of the hardest and most rewarding careers in the world. You are tasked with finding your ingredients, either yourself or via merchants--preferably local merchants, because fresher is better, you know the score--, killing and trimming them if necessary, cooking them, and serving them. You are part hunter, part butcher, part cook, and part salesman. There may be hideous weather. There WILL be incompetent assistants. You may face savage beasts, savage lands, time constraints, regional constraints, MYSTERY INGREDIENTS, and God knows what else.

But, you get first taste.

And, y’know, the fame, fortune, and prestige that come with being one of the top chefs in a world where war has been replaced with Cutthroat Kitchen.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

-I’m not going to rule out the possibility of serious things happening, but for the most part this is probably going to be pretty light. If you couldn’t guess. Keep that in mind with your apps.

-Alignment is dead. gently caress the alignment grid. Play what you want. Follow who you want. Except the Lich Queen, probably a bad idea.

-13th Age Core and 13 True Ways are fine. Substituting third party ingredients is allowed, but the judges reserve the right to veto anything that looks suspicious.

-Use point buy, it’s all good.

-If you play something without hands it’s gonna be real hard to use kitchenware, but on the other hand, gimmick chefs are a long and storied tradition. What’ve you got?

-Please post frequently. PLEASE. If I can’t make a post I’ll let you know in advance, all I ask is the same return courtesy.

-To discuss, visit #13thcourse at SynIRC!

IMPORTANT NOTE:

This is a game about cooking. If I see you making rolls described as “I cook the salmon fricassee” then the judges are going to take away your grandkids’ style points. That said, I am not a professional chef. Nor are most of us, probably. So this is an OPEN BOOK GAME. You are allowed, even encouraged, to use Google and any cookbooks you have access to as hard as you can. Remember, you’re not just a chef, you’re a celebrity. Style counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Aw yeah, been waiting for this.

Alfie Butterny
Urchin (Halfling) Bard 1

Out on the streets you ain't got nuffink to eat 'nless you can catch it yourself. If you're lucky, some kindly cook what don't get paid too much to be nice puts the day's scraps out and you can eat like the emperor on 'is high table himself! That is if you're quick enough to get in on it before it's all taken by some bigger kid. Mostly, you eat rat. But i's not so bad, eating rat. Lot of rats in the big city, so if you can eat rat you ain't going hungry, an' so long as you're careful and don't catch Rat, you can do a lot wif a dead rat. Rat stew, rat roast wit' broiled apples, pan-seared rat served wif braised leek in a summer sauce. It ain't posh but it ain't no Orc Lady story neither.

It ain't much but us little folk gotta try, right?

One Unique Thing: World's Finest Rat Chef (And that's chef what works with rat, not a rat what works with a chef. I ain't no stewed vegetable story.)

Abilities:
Str 8 (-1)
Dex 14+2R (+3)
Con 14 (+2)
Int 8 (-1)
Wis 11 (0)
Cha 17+2C (+4)

Icons:
- Archmage Positive 1
- Orc Lady Conflicted 2

Backgrounds:
Street Urchin - 3
Back Alley Cook - 5

Talents:
- Battle Skald
- Jack of Spells
- Balladeer

Battle Cry:
- Move it!
- Pull it Together!
- Stay Strong!

Songs and Spells:
- Song of Heroes
- Battle Chant
- Resist Energy

Feat:
Battle Cry I - Use Battle Cry as standard action

Derived Attributes:
Initiative: +4
AC: 14
Physical Defence: 14
Mental Defence: 11
Max. Hit Points: 27
Recoveries: 8
Recovery Dice: 1d8+2

Gear:
- Lucky Ratting Knife (1d6 wicked knife)
- Warm Rags (Light Armour)
- 25gp

Pingcode fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 26, 2015

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'll be apping this. I cannot suffer a Sandra Lee to stand unchallenged.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Leib'Freid
Ogre Barbarain/Ranger

'One day, The Dwarf King's fire shall burn to make culinary perfection across the world, all will bow to his will" - Leib'Freid

One Unique Thing: Harold of the great Dwarf King, fortunetelling his great coming.

Leib'Freid's life was wonderful, with a wife and two children he loved. Then, his home was attacked by the Orc Lady. He fought, but was not strong enough. Before his very eyes, a blancmange, a pet of the army of the Orc Lady was loosed and devoured his family before his very eyes. He was then taken prisoner, working in the Orc lady's kitchens.

For Nineteen long years he toiled, but then, a miracle! But he was freed by the might of the Dwarf king and hired to work in the great food forges of the Dwarf King himself! Not an equal (he can't bear to even think it), but a willing, paid servant! He has since left his employment to set out, to spread the word of the great coming kingdom of the Dwarf King. Leib'Freid has sworn also, one day he would get his revenge on the Orc Lady for everything she had taken from him.

Attributes
Str 18 (+4)
Dex 18 (+4)
Con 15 (+2)
Int 8 (-1)
Wis 8 (-1)
Cha 8(-1)

Icons:
Dwarf King Positive 2
Orc Lady Negative 1

Backgrounds:
"I create through anger" 3 Pts
"Herald of Lord Dwarf King" 3 Pts
A piece of slave-life remains 2 Pts

Racial Power
Rauguguggh: Once per battle as a free action, when the ogre berserker fails a save, it can take [Level]d6 damage to succeed at the save instead.

Talents:
Building Frenzy
Double Melee Attack
First Strike

Class Features:
Dwarf King's Righteous Anger

Feat:
Knife and Fork Expert (Two-Weapon Multiclass)

Derived Attributes:
Initiative: +5
AC: 18
Physical Defense: 17
Mental Defense: 10
Max. Hit Points: 27
Recovery Dice: 1d8+2

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 11, 2015

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?

Name: Riceball "Jelly" Donuts
Nickname: Do
Human Monk

Short Bio:
Do invented and mastered the art of the "Naked Cook Style" (Not actually naked) from the temple of "Oishi" on top of the Ramen mountain. He invented this style when Do was training in the art of cooking. A frying pan fell from the cupboard and hit his head which made him think, "How much can I cook by only using my body?" Which resulted in the creation of the "Naked Cook Style".

Naked Cooking Style: This style of cooking was created from one simple question: "How much can one cook by only using the body?" This style is a combination of martial arts and cooking; practitioners can cook without using any cooking wares whatsoever. A chef might use his fingers to slice an owlbear's tenderloin instead of using a knife. A naked chef would not use an iron pot or fire to cook rice, instead using their own body as a container and their own body heat to cook the rice. Of course, there are limits to some things, but everyday Do is finding new ways to overcome the conventional limitations of cooking.

After mastering the Art of his "Naked Cooking Style" Do started to travel around the world looking to meet, cook and eat with chef with there own unique style of cooking. He also sought to finding new and unique ingredient to be cooked with his style of cooking. After displaying his skills on the street side as a street cook performer and entering in a few cooking competition. His style started to become wildly known. But its more like the name of his style become more known then what the style actually is.This is when Do realized naming his unique style, "Naked Cooking Style" was a bad idea. His style became more of a fad because people thought his style involved getting naked, because of this there is alot of misunderstanding when he meet chefs on his travels. At least because of this misunderstanding, his name became well known do to the obsession of fads in young chefs social networks.

One Unique Thing: Master of Naked Cooking Style (Not actually naked)

Abilities:
Str 15+2C (+3)
Dex 16+2C (+4)
Con 10 (+0)
Int 8 (-1)
Wis 15+2R (+3)
Cha 8 (-1)

Icons:
The Diabolist: Negative Relationship 1
Gold Wyrm: Positive Relationship 1
Orc Lady: Negative Relationship 1

Backgrounds:
Naked Cook - 5
Gatherer - 3

Talents:
Flurry (Seven Deadly Secrets)
Diamond Focus

Racial Power:
Quick to Fight
Greeting Fist (Seven Deadly Secrets)
Leaf on Wind

Forms:
Original Venom
Dutiful Guardian

Feat:
Flurry (Seven Deadly Secrets) Adventurer
Dutiful Guardian Adventurer

Derived Attributes:
Initiative: +5
AC: 16
Physical Defense: 16
Mental Defense: 15
Max. Hit Points: 21
Recovery Dice: 1d8

onepiecekenny fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 24, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel
Pioneer of Poached Cooking

Daria Damsel (that's dam-SEL) had started as your standard Michelin Chef. She collected ingredients, fended off sous skeletons, wrangled oven golems. You know, normal things. She was a fine assistant, but no one remembered her, and she never made her mark in the world. But boring mediocrity never sat well with her. She knew she needed something of her own to really make a splash.

Inspiration struck at the Axis regional cook off. Daria was merely a caterer for the event, providing refreshments while the people watched the main events, the best in food prepared in small portions for the highborn judges. The kitchens were a bustle, with people coming and going, and Daria noticed someone had misplaced a package. She checked it quietly. Capobelas Steak! And beautifully marbled! It must have been delivered to the wrong place, but Daria realized, this could be her chance.

In moments she had filleted the steak, grabbed some of the spices off the rack, made a spread of lettuce, and got to work. When she was done, she took her secret dish to the streets outside, and shouted at the top of her lungs.
"Come one, come all! Eat like a king, for just one day! Thrill, for this is a once in a lifetime chance to taste Capobelas, poached from the very larders of the Crusader!"

It was a hit. People flocked to her, and the dish was delicious, and all the tastier because it had been taken from those snooty highborn. Of course, Daria was chased from the city not long after by furious guards and chefs, but the potential was there. Daria had found how she was going to change the world.

Thus Daria Damsel became the first master of the Poached School of Cooking. Whether it's the ingredients, the tools, or the kitchen, something in the dish did not actually belong to Daria. She told others she brought fantastic tastes to those who would never otherwise try them. Others said she stole other people's hard work. Regardless, she was showing no signs of quitting her new style. Only time would tell if she could make something of it in the future.

Icon Relationships:
Prince of Shadows Positive 1: Taking the best, the unwanted, the hidden, the carefully guarded, and making them into an exciting new dish? Right up the Prince of Shadow's alley.
The Crusader Negative 1: Only one person will consistently have the best ingredients in the world, and that is the Crusader. Daria has helped herself to his larders on more than one occasion, which infuriates him to no end.
The Priest Conflicted 1: On the one hand, Daria works to bring expensive, filling, tasty, and even healthy foods from those who can afford them to those who can't. On the other hand, Daria is hardly picky, and will take a pheasant from a peasant's table to satisfy her need for the poached thrill.

Backgrounds:
Poacher +5: Daria takes what she wants from who she wants. Whether she's sneaking animal's from private game reserves, lifting secret spices from a shelf, or even just stealing pies, she's devoted to the Poached Cooking Style. And that means poaching.
Ingredient Appraisal +5: For all her lackadaisical attitude, Daria knows her cooking. No use breaking into the Three's kitchen if you can't tell the difference between the tapioca and the caviar. Daria has an encyclopedic knowledge of the best ingredients, where to get them, and how mad their owners might get afterwards.
Sell the Experience +5: Of course, all this would never work if the lucky customers sat down and realized that food is food, stolen or not. Daria isn't just putting good food on the table, she's creating a thrill, that this pork is taken from the table of a Michelin noble, cooked with seasoning lifted from the Archmage's labaratory, and roasted in the fires of the Red while he slumbered. When you eat with Daria, you get more than food!

pre:
Daria Damsel
High Elf Rogue

One Unique Thing: Pioneer of the Poached Cooking style

STR  10		(+0)		Hit Points: (21/21)
CON  12		(+1)		Recoveries: 8
DEX  18		(+4)		Recovery value: 1d8+1
INT  16		(+3)		Armour Class: 14
WIS  8		(-1)		PD: 14	MD: 13
CHA  14		(+2)		Initiative: +4

Race Features
	Highblood Teleport

Class Features
	Momentum
	Sneak Attack
	Trap Sense

Talents
	Cunning
	Swashbuckle
	Thievery

Feats
	Thievery Feat

Basic Attacks
	Melee Attack
	+5 vs AC
	Hit: 1d8+4 Miss: 4

Ranged Attack
	+5 vs AC
	Hit: 1d4+4 damage Miss: 4

Powers
	Thief's Strike
	Roll with it
	Evasive Strike
	Flying Blade
	Sure Cut

Equipment
	Grey Camo Apron (Light armor)
	Long handled battle skillet (1-handed 1d8)
	Belt of Throwing knives (Throwing 1d4)
	25 gold

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 10, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Christophe D'Argent
Questant for the Seventh Flavor

Bio:
As even the greenest culinary initiate knows, the taste of every dish is composed of six basic flavors: salty, spicy, sweet, sour, bitter, and savory. Individually, these flavors are simple, straightforward, but in concert they can create a nearly unlimited number of subtle and delightful tastes. A savory steak may be enhanced by the addition of salt and spicy chili powder, or sweet ice cream might be accompanied by sour berries. There may be some disagreeement as to which flavor is the most versatile or delicious, but on the point of there being six, all parties agree.

Yet according to legend, before the First Course there was a seventh flavor, the flavor of magic. It improved every dish to which it was added, creating new dimensions of blissful taste without overpowering the other flavors. A chef armed with the Seventh, it is said, could bring even the harshest food critic to tears of joy, and challenge the culinary prowess of an Icon. Perhaps that is why the flavor was lost, locked away by a jealous icon or fearful god. In the modern era, it is but a myth, dismissed as hogwash by most.

But one halfling tasted it.

Christophe D'Argent was a sous chef, and an adept in the culinary art of projectile knifework. With a few flicks of his wrist he could chop a batch of ingredients in midair or pin the hand of a clumsy assistant to the wall before they could overspice a dish. His talents and acrobatic cooking style made him a good living and won more than a few competitions, but his true passion was in arcane baking, the infusion of magic energy into pastries and other foods. Night after night, he slaved away at his arcanostove, creating wilder and wilder magical meals, until finally an oversaturated potroast exploded in his face.

He was in a coma for many weeks. When he finally awoke, he could remember nothing of his lost time, except for the barest hint of the most beautiful, sublime flavor, unequaled in any dish he had ever served or tasted. Being well schooled in the arcane lore of cooking, he knew what it was, what it had to be. At that moment he made it his life's mission to taste it again.

Now Christophe roams the Empire, honing his cooking skills, his burgeoning magical talents, and even dabbling in divine magic He knows that in order to find the lost Seventh once again, he must become both the world's greatest chef... and the world's greatest mage.

Icon Relationships:
Archmage Positive 2- Christophe attended the Archmage's colleges of magic for a few years after beginning his quest, in order to hone his magical skills. Many of his friends and teachers there know of his goal, and a few even believe that it is possible. Rumor has it that even the Archmage himself has taken an interest.
Lich Queen Negative 1- It was inevitable that the Lich Queen would hear of the reemergence of the Seventh Flavor. None can say precisely what she knows on the topic, but it is clear that she wants it for herself- and only for herself.

Backgrounds:
Arcane Baker +3
Long-Range Sous Chef +3
Well-Traveled Wanderer +2

pre:
Christophe D'Argent
Halfling Ranger/Wizard

One Unique Thing: Questant for the Seventh Flavor

STR  8		(-1)		Hit Points: (22/22)
CON  12 	(+1) 	        Recoveries: 8
DEX  18 	(+4)	        Recovery value: 1d8+1
INT  18 	(+4)	        Armour Class: 16
WIS  12		(+1)		PD: 13	MD: 14
CHA  8		(-1)		Initiative: +5

Race Features
 	 Small
         Evasive

Class Features
	Cantrips
	Cyclic Spells
	Overworld Advantage
        Ritual Magic

Talents
 	High Arcana
	Double Ranged Attack
   	Ranger Ex Cathedral

Feats
     	Double Ranged Attack- Adventurer

Basic Attacks
	Melee Attack
   	+5 vs AC
  	Hit: 1d8-1 Miss: 1

Ranged Attack
	+5 vs AC
	Hit: 1d4+4 damage Miss: 1

Spells
	Acid Arrow
	Acid Arrow
	Color Spray
	Shield
	Counter-Magic
        Cure Wounds

Equipment
        Double-breasted leather armor w/ apron and reinforced poque (Light armor)
	A shitload of cutlery (Throwing 1d4)
 	Heavy cleaver (Two-Handed 1d8)
        Arcane cookbooks
	25 gold

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 20, 2015

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Quick reminder that recruiting ostensibly closes at midnight tonight!

E: And we're CLOSED! Right now the numbers are looking good, but the judges have yet to be consulted. Expect news in the next few days!

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 17, 2015

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Alright, having looked over the applications, we have exactly five, which is both good and bad. Good, since it means I don't have to pare down. Bad, because as it stands the party would have two virtually identical rogues and literally no healing.

Tentatively, you're all in. But I'm going to open for adjustments--if you want to change things, however dramatically, now's the time. Since Mr. Maltose expressed interest I'm also going to say he can still app if he wants to.

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Haha I just built a character to match my fabulous idea.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Hey, I got no problems with that. Most of my characters are built the same way, and all the concepts look perfect. Now it's just time to start thinking about how to get them all in.

As a reminder, the IRC channel for this game is #13thcourse on SynIRC, so go there to chat if you'd like.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I'm torn. I really wanted to play with swashbuckle... But gimme a day, I think I can come up with an appropriate Commander, which is a class I wouldn't mind trying out.

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

The other rogue is actually putting together a bard already if you'd prefer to stick with your character

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Well, thanks then :shobon:, I hope it isn't too selfish if I stick with the rogue then.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Yup, changed over to Bard now. Alfie's the one that's got the easiest time giving way on the issue, and handily it means we've got some in battle healing in the party if needed.

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Thanks, guess I will be able to stick to my confusing monk,

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome! Then I have only one more question for your characters, while I'm down in the south of the state today.

How have your characters met each other before? What would be driving you to share a table at a restaurant in Glitterhagen right after the updating of the Red Book?

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

If yall disagree with any of these just tell me and we can switch it around. Also I wish I had thought of 'leviathan clam baker' earlier, that might have made a great character

As part of his quest for the Seventh, Christophe has sought out practitioners of many unusual cooking styles. From Leviathan Clam bakes along the coast of the Iron Sea to Dire Wood magofruit salads, he has seen the weird and wonderful expressed in cuisine.

During a visit to the Empire's capital, Axis, Christophe came upon a young human who proclaimed himself to be 'The World's Finest Rat Chef.' Many would be repulsed, but Christophe was used to the unusual, and upon trying them, discovered Alfie Butterny's rat-based dishes to be impressively good. When he took his leave, Christophe gave Alfie a small sum with which to hopefully expand his business.

Another remarkable chef he met on his travels was Leib'Freid, herald of and former chef for the Dwarf King. Remarkably, the ogre channeled his rage into his cooking much as Christophe himself channeled the arcane. As a student of the source and attributes of taste, Christophe found this uniquely interesting. They traveled together for a time before eventually parting ways, promising to meet again.

It was a long and arduous trip to reach the temple where Riceball 'Jelly' Donuts, the inventor of the renowned Naked Cook Style, resided. Naked Cook Style, which, as Do hastened to add, did not actually involve nakedness, was a growing fad in parts of the empire, and Christophe was happy to learn from the master.

Finally, Christophe has frequently come into contact with Daria Damsel as part of his search for unusual ingredients for his ongoing research in arcane cuisine. As a general rule, if you needed something rare or dangerous for your cooking, Daria could be counted upon to provide it... in exchange for the proper fee.

Now, after the release of the Red Book, a chance meeting brings him into their company again.

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 21, 2015

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
(Note: To clarify about Naked Cooking Style its a style that allows chef to cook without using conventional cooking wares. Also I have edit my bio to clarify that as well.)
(Same with Shark Mafia if you want to switch around how we met just let me know.)

After mastering the Art of his "Naked Cooking Style" Do started to travel around the world looking to meet, cook and eat with chef with there own unique style of cooking. He also sought to finding new and unique ingredient to be cooked with his style of cooking. After displaying his skills on the street side as a street cook performer and entering in a few cooking competition. His style started to become wildly known. But its more like the name of his style become more known then what the style actually is.This is when Do realized naming his unique style, "Naked Cooking Style" was a bad idea. His style became more of a fad because people thought his style involved getting naked, because of this there is alot of misunderstanding when he meet chefs on his travels. At least because of this misunderstanding, his name became well known do to the obsession of fads in young chefs social networks.

While visiting the Empire capital saw Alfie Butterny's catching some rats in the ally. He asked what the man was doing and after conversing for a while he found that this person was Master of the "Mouthwatering Vermin Style". (Do made up the name for Alfie during there conversation) With Alfie's suggestion Do tried out the rat by grilling the rat at the spot using only his hands and Do actually enjoyed the rat.

When Do met Leib'Freid he was very interested on how Leib'Freid uses the power of his rage to do his cooking. Which got Do thinking, maybe he can use his emotions with his style as well....

Not sure about Daria Damsel

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria talks a good game, but as of yet she's not really caught on. What with being regarded as a criminal across the Empire. As such, it's necessary for her to travel a lot, and in so doing she's met plenty of excellent and unique cooks.

Christophe D'argent was what Daria regarded as a fine business compatriot. After all, Daria had to pay for the venues, climbing hooks, and least some personal equipment. They did good business and occasionally talked shop. Daria just wondered if Christophe realized that, should he discover the seventh flavor, Daria would be nearly duty bound to try to steal it.

Daria met Riceball Doughnuts in somewhat amusing circumstances, trying to join a group of sadly misinformed devotees as they traveled to meet the master of Naked Cooking Style. Daria had hoped to pocket a knife or skillet and use it for her own Poached Cooking Style. Too bad that upon arriving, she discovered that Do not only had no such implements, but also appeared to be wearing clothes.
Still, they struck up a fast friendship. Do had nothing to fear from Daria, and Daria enjoyed chatting about their disparate styles, and the embarrassing circumstances of their meeting was always good for a laugh.

Alfie Butterny was honestly one of Daria's biggest rivals. Daria found him to be low-minded and un ambitious. Moreover, for all his quality it was never worth poaching from him. I mean, who poaches rats? And where Daria tried to steal the very best for the downtrodden to try, Alfie tried to show the downtrodden they could live well on what they had. Or at least that's the high minded spin Daria liked to put on it.

Leib'Fried ran in different circles than Daria, the Dwarf King preferring his salt of the earth styling, and furthermore being absolutely murderous with a fondue fork should the feeling take him. Daria has seen the big ogre around, but has contented herself with chatting with him and talking shop. That fork was as big as she was, after all. Not worth causing trouble.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie is a dreamer - a kid from the streets who presses his face against restaurant windows (at least when he's not being chased off). But he's getting his shot, thanks to Christophe - the handful of coins the chef dropped in his palms was more than he'd ever had in his life. More than he's ever seen, even - not even Nimble Jack had so much at once, and he once stole a watch from a banker! He used the money to buy new clothes and look, if not presentable, like a slightly less grubby urchin, which has paid dividends amongst soft hearted restauranteurs willing to to hire a street kid with to run down to the market with a handful of change for fresh ingredients. Indeed, it's one such favour that's gotten him here in this restaurant today, in a borrowed coat two sizes large and a firm cheek scrubbing.

Daria is a mixed figure for Alfie. To Alfie, she represents the peak of celebrity cooking (to his uncultured eyes) - glamourous, skilled, with access to all the finest ingredients. Plus she looked out for the little people like him. Though at the same time, his pride leaves him a little resentful of her reliance on exotic ingredients - he's sure that if he had access to any ingredient in the world he could be a celebrity chef too. So he takes his own pride in being able to work with much less - he's pretty pleased with the way he's gotten a good Rat Bourguignon down using a cupful of hot wine from the stall at the end of the road in winter.

Along the same lines, Jelly he regards as something of a kindred spirit, finding common ground with the use of so little equipment. 'So little' being 'nothing'. Pretty impressive, even compared to pots without too many holes in them and a nice knife nicked from the end of a butcher's stall. Though he thinks Jelly's a bit fancy what with the 'Naked Cooking Style' business - though not to be outdone he did call himself the 'Master of Rat'. Didn't quite click with the whole cooking with nothing at all thing, but cor, would be useful, wouldn't it? (Slight adjustment, Alfie's more likely to dub himself something simple)

Leib'fried... well, Alfie and Leib'fried were almost enemies. They did get into something of a shouting match over Alfie's rats being 'Orc Lady' fare, at least. It's patched up now, though Alfie is still a little sore about having his work compared to the Orc Lady's. Even street kids got pride.

As with the others, open to changes.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

:siren:GAME THREAD IS UP:siren:

13TH COURSE: THE GAME

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Hey pingcode, I heard you wanted to join in on hatguy shenanigans? I can throw the hat to you if you have something interesting planned.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

A post will appear tomorrow, probably tomorrow night. I've been feeling sickly for the last two days and tomorrow's going to be busy on my end, but a post WILL appear!

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
M.c.p how do I help you give a sneak attack?

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
You, uh, stand next to a guy. Not much is needed, I just got bogged down in dudes right then making it hard to do sneak attacks. On the other hand, I really ought to stick with lieb'fried anyway.

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?

M.c.P posted:

You, uh, stand next to a guy. Not much is needed, I just got bogged down in dudes right then making it hard to do sneak attacks. On the other hand, I really ought to stick with lieb'fried anyway.

I will keep that in mind. When I try to move around. Not like I have much control about my placement. Or which person I attack.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Since Shark Mafia has kind of disappeared, I'm looking for a replacement! We haven't advanced out of Level 1 yet, so all the same restrictions as seen in the first post still apply. Join today!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Let me catch up with the thread and I'll have something here shortly!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Sorry this took so long to get together, I've been touch and go with the flu all week.

Allesandro Caccini, Dark Elf Wizard

Caccini being accepted into the Horizon Test Kitchen

Horizon, home of the Archmage and magical capital of the Empire, stands at the forefront of experimental cuisine. Molecular Gastromancy, magical techniques to reduce food to the most elemental components to be rearranged and innovated upon, is the current focus of many Horizon restaurants striving to improve themselves in the Red Book. But at the forefront of that forefront are a group of chefs who have suspended dreams of Michelin Stars to delve into the bleeding edge of the culinary arts under direct if distant authorization of the Archmage himself. They are the Horizon Test Kitchen, an elite band who sacrifice everything not for consumption but for knowledge. They are a controversial group, more so after the public scandal and expulsion of Allesandro Caccini.

Originally from the small fishing village of Achatz, Caccini was a precocious talent in his youth. Upon graduation from his internship at the local restaurant, he quickly made his way to Horizon dead set to be as far away from the simple rustic cuisine of his home. Showing a flair for magic as well as cooking, Allesandro worked tirelessly to prove himself worthy to be a member of the Test Kitchen. He didn't slow down once he became a member, either. He had a reputation for pushing boundaries, even breaking the Archmage's One Rule and developing unitask tools and techniques. His rationale was that these were the beginning of the development of new multitaskers, but there never seemed to be any work done on widening their uses. He was young (for an elf) and swept up in the excitement of discovery.

Some say it was divine punishment for hubris, others say it was some arcane blowback of the Test Kitchen's research. Whatever the reason, one day Allesandro found his sense of taste had begun to deaden. The more time passed, the greater the loss. Arrogant and not a little afraid, Caccini kept his condition secret while striving to bring out more and more flavor in his cooking. Soon his obsession became desperation, and his attempts to keep pace with his fading senses lead to unwise action. Arrogance turned to recklessness, and his clinical approach to food suffered as he sought higher return for his efforts. He eventually delved too deep, and there were incidents that could not be ignored. Allesandro Caccini was expelled from the Horizon Test Kitchen on the day he lost his taste forever.

His disgrace and loss humbled him. Allesandro now wanders in an attempt to create his own approach to cooking, minimizing the attention to flavor and instead focusing on using texture, aroma, temperature and pungency to enhance the dining experience. His skills may have suffered with the loss of his most vital sense, but Caccini refuses to abandon his dreams of advancing food as far as it can be.

Icon Relationships
Archmage Conflicted 2 - It was in Horizon where Caccini refined himself into a true chef, but his dishonorable dismissal from the Horizon Test Kitchen has tarnished the relationship on both sides.

Diabolist Conflicted 1 - The Diabolist and his ilk garners nothing but disgust from Alessandro, a dramatic and overreactive disgust. He responds so because he will never be free of the temptation to follow that diabolic path, diving deeper into fats and sugars on the slightest chance to taste again.

pre:
Attributes
+2 Int, +2 Dex
Str 10 (+0)
Dex 16 (+3) 
Con 14 (+2)
Int 18 (+4)
Wis 12 (+1)
Cha 8 (-1)

Derived Attributes:
Initiative: +4
AC: 12
Physical Defense: 12 +2
Mental Defense: 13 +1
Max. Hit Points: 24
Recovery Dice: 1d6+2 

OUT: I have no sense of taste in a world defined by flavor.

Backgrounds:
Molecular Gastromancer 5
Veteran of the Horizon Test Kitchens 3

Racial Power:
Cutting Edge - Once per battle, deal ongoing damage to a target you hit with a natural even attack roll as a free action.
The ongoing damage equals 5 times your level.

Talents:
Evocation
Abjuration
High Arcana

Class Features:
Cantrips
Ritual Magic
Overworld Advantage
Cyclic Spells

Feats:
Heritage of the Blade - Use d6 and d8 swords without penalties.

Spells:
Acid Arrow
Acid Arrow
Ray of Frost
Shocking Grasp
Shield

Basic Attacks
Melee attack
At-Will
Target: One enemy
Attack: +1 vs. AC
Hit: 1d8 damage
Miss: —

Ranged attack
At-Will
Target: One enemy
Attack: +3 vs. AC
Hit: 1d6 + 3 damage
Miss: —

Equipment
Yanagi Ba Knife (One Handed 1d8)
Throwing Plates (1d6 light Crossbow)
HTK Insignia Chef Coat (Light Armor)
25 gp

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
10 hour plane flight coming up. If you guys come up with something, then I agree wholeheartedly so as not to hold up the game.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Hey, Kenny, do you have a Skype? I've put together a chat for purposes of communicating and you're the only one I don't have yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Sorry I haven't bee on IRC. Fine me as JapaneseAssassin123 or Kenneth Kon on skype.

• Locked thread