Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Hello GWS goons. I've recently become acquainted with your forum and some of your posters ever since they moved the GBS Burger thread into this subforum. Most of you seem really knowledgeable and good at cooking so I finally decided to pull the trigger and make this thread, which I have wanted to do in GBS for months. Unfortunately the posting climate there doesn't lend itself to really any sort of serious posting, unless you want to talk about caramel macchiatos I guess.

Basically the concept of this thread is to make close approximates/shortcut versions of dishes you really like. Not all of us always have time to cook well but of course we want to eat well. I've taken the time to create two meals to get the thread started for us.

Stuffed Peppers & Spanish Rice

These are the tools we will be using. Pretty self explanatory. Peppers, cheese, spanish rice, and pretty baller Wustoff knife. Now for the step by step.

For this I just folded the cheese a few times over itself. I should have shown that step but didn't really know how to do it and it's not that complex anyway. Sorry.

I microwaved it for about 15 seconds and that was enough to melt the cheese appropriately. The rice takes 90 seconds in the microwave. Could probably make a full meal in 10 minutes of prep and cook time.

Now for the next one.

Meatless Cheeseburger

The Roundup. Not pictured is the lettuce I ended up putting on. Frosty seltzer water is also quite refreshing and I highly recommend it.

Started with a dab of mayo which is the base for my homemade [big] Mac sauce.

Added the ketchup and mustard. I think if I had a do-over I might have added just a pinch of sugar to it. Or maybe salt. Idk, it felt like it was missing something. I really, really regret not putting any onion on it and will make a mental note for future iterations of this recipe.

Two slices of cheese, this time, not folded up lol.

This is right when I realized I should put some lettuce in there to get some crunch going.

The final product. I spun the cheese around in circles a few times to mix the Mac sauce up. Still really regret that onion. Also need to figure out a way to melt the cheese without wilting the lettuce, so I did it doobie style this time.

Thanks for the read and I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Thanks OP. It's hard to really put a lot of effort into cooking after a long day at work. I'll try out the meatless cheeseburger tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

i never thought i could possibly make food for myself but this might be something even i can do. thanks op.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Make good food

Don't eat all of it, put it in the fridge.

Microwave later.

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay
What can I substitute for ketchup and mustard for the meatless burger if I don' have enough time to grab condiments from the fridge?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

unterdude posted:

What can I substitute for ketchup and mustard for the meatless burger if I don' have enough time to grab condiments from the fridge?

That seems kinda lazy honestly? You'd already have been to the fridge. Nothing really comes to mind since most stuff you'd put on a burger would be in a fridge.

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay
Nah, I keep my mayo with my buns and lettuce in the cupboard. Lettuce stays crisper unrefrigerated, and mayo tastes better if it's not refrigerated. I think I read it in a lifehack thread here.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

unterdude posted:

Nah, I keep my mayo with my buns and lettuce in the cupboard. Lettuce stays crisper unrefrigerated, and mayo tastes better if it's not refrigerated. I think I read it in a lifehack thread here.

Oh ok I get it. The trolls come out of the woodwork.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
e: wrong thread

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Fetus Tree posted:

Added the ketchup and mustard. I think if I had a do-over I might have added just a pinch of sugar to it. Or maybe salt. Idk, it felt like it was missing something.

For a more realistic Mac sauce, you could do some googling:
http://metro.co.uk/2015/02/02/how-to-make-that-mcdonalds-secret-spicy-big-mac-sauce-for-those-who-dont-live-in-oz-5045876/

btw, to hang on to the spirit of this thread:
check out the second picture, Mac sauce in a bottle!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

paraquat posted:

btw, to hang on to the spirit of this thread:
check out the second picture, Mac sauce in a bottle!

You and the other guy seem to think its about laziness but it really isn't. From a pure time perspective, Mac Sauce in a bottle isn't really any faster than what I did. Must/Mayo/Ketchup trio is good tasting anyway, but I figured it would gain more traction if I called it Mac Sauce. If I had some relish (cutting up pickles would definitely be against the spirit of the thread) that would have probably added some extra oomph that I need.

Still really regret the lack of onion too, there was no real excuse for that.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Everyone assumes that you are also trolling because putting ketchup AND mustard on a burger bun isn't really exciting cooking or anything that people on a cooking forum would be interested in, even if you mixed them together in a bowl first. Same goes for microwaving a bag of premade rice and a slice of cheese flavored oil product. These aren't "recipes" they are just a list of premade store bought food you like to eat.

Also your "meatless cheese burger" just appears to be a sandwich assembled out of cold sandwich ingredients it's not really even cooking at all. I'm glad you can take food products out of your fridge and guide them into your mouth hole but you're getting troll responses because this is a troll thread.

Edit: if cutting something up is against the spirit of this thread then this thread is against the spirit of gws. Pretty sure I'm the one getting trolled at this point though.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 11, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I guess not cutting pickles to make relish is pretty lazy and maybe takes 45 seconds, point acknowledged. With regards to the mustard/ketchup part, that is pretty much the exact recipe for mac sauce/thousand island (with mayo, and relish) so I have to disagree with you there.

Anyway, I made this thread more to learn than to teach.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

pile of brown posted:

Everyone assumes that you are also trolling because putting ketchup AND mustard on a burger bun isn't really exciting cooking or anything that people on a cooking forum would be interested in, even if you mixed them together in a bowl first. Same goes for microwaving a bag of premade rice and a slice of cheese flavored oil product. These aren't "recipes" they are just a list of premade store bought food you like to eat.

Also your "meatless cheese burger" just appears to be a sandwich assembled out of cold sandwich ingredients it's not really even cooking at all. I'm glad you can take food products out of your fridge and guide them into your mouth hole but you're getting troll responses because this is a troll thread.

Edit: if cutting something up is against the spirit of this thread then this thread is against the spirit of gws. Pretty sure I'm the one getting trolled at this point though.

I don't see why you've taken offense to the OP to be honest. It seems pretty original to me, and the OP has indicated that this is a big step for him and he's not trying to show off

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

IMO put the lutwice on at hte last second to keep it crunchy. Or you could try using a lighter iceberg because that will keep its crunch a lot better

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
you should really break the mould and cut your cheeseburger in half OP

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

les fleurs du mall posted:

Vertically or horizontally? I'm having trouble picturing what you're suggesting..

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Libelous Slander posted:

Vertically or horizontally? I'm having trouble picturing what you're suggesting..

sandwiches are already horizontally cut in half so vertical

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Libelous Slander posted:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
the real question is straight or diagonal cut

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

I'll take that into consideration: I don't normally like doing that, and I think it was really too small for that? I just had cheap cookout rolls nothing fancy

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
if you don't own a knife you can use your hands to tear it in half gently and it's just as good

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

if you don't own a knife you can use your hands to tear it in half gently and it's just as good

like one would paw at breasts if they'd ever had the chance

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

fyodor posted:

sandwiches are already horizontally cut in half so vertical

what do you mean? are you able to diagram this for me i'm really having trouble picturing what you're talking about..

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Disregard the above I didn't see this post. Thanks all.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
As kind of an aside, how was the actual photography of the food? I'm new to this and besides the random instagram post I haven't taken a ton of pictures of food

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Libelous Slander posted:

Disregard the above I didn't see this post. Thanks all.

cool man i like we are learning together

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Fetus Tree posted:

As kind of an aside, how was the actual photography of the food? I'm new to this and besides the random instagram post I haven't taken a ton of pictures of food

you must have a knack for it then because everything looks professionally lit and so appetizing.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Fetus Tree posted:

It's good that you include the utensils you've used during preparation in the photos. Some of us newbies aren't familiar with all the kitchenware so this is kind of a good "Sparknotes" for cooking.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

op, any recommendations on wine pairings?

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Anyone have any tips on making something called "Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup?" I don't want to burn cheese onto my stove, not sure where to begin with this one..

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Libelous Slander posted:

Anyone have any tips on making something called "Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup?" I don't want to burn cheese onto my stove, not sure where to begin with this one..

a little pro tip, add some salsa to your tomato soup for a fun "latin" kick!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Nooner posted:

a little pro tip, add some salsa to your tomato soup for a fun "latin" kick!

Salsa only belongs with chicken in a crockpot hth.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Distinct lack of chickencheese up in this thread

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Doh004 posted:

lemme peep dat chickencheese

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

this thread is funny because it's even more of a :effort: troll than FYAD's one is.
way to drop the ball GBS :tbear:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Fetus Tree posted:

You and the other guy seem to think its about laziness but it really isn't. From a pure time perspective, Mac Sauce in a bottle isn't really any faster than what I did. Must/Mayo/Ketchup trio is good tasting anyway, but I figured it would gain more traction if I called it Mac Sauce. If I had some relish (cutting up pickles would definitely be against the spirit of the thread) that would have probably added some extra oomph that I need.

Still really regret the lack of onion too, there was no real excuse for that.

I don't think it's this thread is about laziness, but your statement, and let me quote it again:
"Added the ketchup and mustard. I think if I had a do-over I might have added just a pinch of sugar to it. Or maybe salt. Idk, it felt like it was missing something."
shows how a lack of cooking skills messes with tasting abilities.

Mac sauce in a bottle might not be faster than what you did, but it does give you the missing ingredients.

and no...if you pile up mayo, mustard and ketchup, the missing ingredient will never be salt or sugar.
Do understand that I don't diss this holy trinity, but when you get them from a jar, there's enough salt and sugar in there to never have any of them "missing".

Either:
1. buy a jar of Mac sauce,
2. get over yourself and cut up a pickle,
3. stop whining about a missing ingredient in your mayo/mustard/ketchup mix.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
not really a "recipe" as much as it is a life hack per say, but have you ever dipped your wendy's french fries into your frosty?

you'll thank me later :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Doh004 posted:

re-read topic it says simple duh