Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

The turn of the millennium is coming and everyone is cowering in their bunkers fearful that computers will turn on their masters. But in Japan there are more pressing matters to fear; namely a mysterious doomsday cult gaining power, increasing disappearances all around Tokyo, and a hideous beast lurking in the underground. Are you going to be able to survive the night....or will you find yourself running out of time? Truly a terrifying story and one that we'll be investigating more deeply as we head into the overlooked PS1 horror title, Hellnight (or Dark Messiah as it was called originally in Japan, though neither title makes much sense for the game).

Now one might question why they had not previously heard of this game and that could be for any number of reasons. The game never saw an American release, it was released just a year before the PS2 (and thus would be overshadowed by the new hotness), it never got much commercial fanfare in the locales it was released, and most importantly of all...it doesn't really fit into a normal horror genre. While games like Resident Evil touted being survival horror, it still very much left the player an option to defend itself and fight off what lurks in the darkness. Hellnight decided to go a different direction with this and leaves the player in cramped locations, almost utterly defenseless except for the power to out think and out run the dangers that are set before them. And that, along with it's very deranged, albeit repetitive setting, probably greatly deterred most people from enjoying the game. But that's why I'm here to lead you through the danger and for us to hopefully escape the underground hell awaiting our protagonist.

Good Stuff found in the Mesh

Razzo by yokaiy

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Please believe when I say the monster is truly terrifying when I give it a chance.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
This is going to be incredible.

I am so pumped.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

For the record, when I think of Ps1 horror titles, I think of Clocktower.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Oh god.. I've heard of this game... This is gonna be fun. Not Illbleed level of fun, but still.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah, it's a fun game to watch with the proper editing but I hazard to recommend ever playing it. Also we'll have some audience voting in this game; so bully for that.

Lotish posted:

For the record, when I think of Ps1 horror titles, I think of Clocktower.
I remember in my tween days trying to play Clock Tower 2 and loathing every minute of it. Then I watched Coulis' LP of decades later and realized I wasn't wrong in my loathing.

Also I made a mistake, and the PS1 game I was thinking of was Overblood. At least I didn't say Impossible Creatures, right?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I had this for a while but I don't think I made much progress. Wound up loaning it to a friend along with a few other PS1 games and never got them back.

In any case, this is definitely a... special game. It has an almost cyberpunky atmosphere at times, and while it's hard to call it good, it's definitely interesting.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I'm getting huge Enemy Zero vibes from this game. The two did only come out a year apart so I wonder how much inspiration this game could've taken from it.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I have this unreasonable love for ps1 survival horror games. Hellnight is actually pretty good thanks to it's sound design. A lot of other ps1 horror games are guilty of vomiting lovely midi tracks at you forever (The Note) and it kills all immersion. Hellnight can be surprisingly tense sometimes.

Mr. Sunabouzu fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 11, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I have this unreasonable love for ps1 survival horror games. Hellnight is actually pretty good because it knows when to use silence (probably unintentionally on the devs part) instead of vomiting lovely midi tracks at you forever like other similar games (The Note). It can be surprisingly tense sometimes.
Yeah, the audio work is a mixed bag for more. The silence can be great but when the game decides to have music, the loops are sadly very short and can start to get very grating, very quickly. Still I do really love the selection of a sitar for a majority of the cutscene music; it lends this more exotic and alien feel to what's going on. This is also compounded more so when we start to meet other people like Razzo.

And tense is definitely a good word for this game; granted the tutorial area doesn't get this across, but pretty quickly, the game is going to take off the kid gloves and show us more of what we're really going to be dealing with.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
When I think of survival horror on the PS1 I think of Dino Crisis, and you should too :colbert:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Things get a wee bit more difficult as we head into the mesh proper. And we're given some very heady choices to make...

Do we have mercy on poor Naomi or do we try our luck with a new partner? (you guys have up to Sunday night to vote)

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I don't see why we can't just keep Naomi around. She's been a pretty good companion so far.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Keep Naomi.

She can sense the monster, which seems like a good deal to me.

Limopalise
May 4, 2015

A boring man. It's hard to tell what he's capable of.
Personally, I want to see the great, new characters we can have at our side if we let Naomi die.
Just like in Michigan: Report From Hell.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So I got curious and figured I would investigate my idea: what happens if we try the staircase without helpful Naomi there to warn us/be bait?

It's kinda what you'd expect. Now granted they do put in a helpful, random NPC before the door that pretty much says "Really dawg, you don't want to get near that door." but screw that noise.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Limopalise posted:

Personally, I want to see the great, new characters we can have at our side if we let Naomi die.
Just like in Michigan: Report From Hell.

It's cruel, but really it's the only way.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yeah, Naomi is a useful monster detector, but my vote is to see someone else. Especially if we get one of the crazy NPCs from the hub.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It depends on what this new partner can offer. Unless it's better than detecting monsters I say stick with Naomi.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I think I've been skating around it, but someone on youtube asked a very interesting question. When do we save? And that's probably another dickish move on the game's part, because we can only save during area transitions. There are no magic computers and no easy passwords to enter; so pretty much when we transitioned from the sewers into the mesh, there would have been no opportunities to save. And heaven forbid if you decided to be a Billy Badass and push forward without Naomi or saving....cause you could easily get hosed.

Mraagvpeine posted:

It depends on what this new partner can offer. Unless it's better than detecting monsters I say stick with Naomi.
I'm wanting to be purposely ambiguous because some of the partners are a bit odd. I will say though that there are about three partners (maybe four) that we can get over the course of the game; the problem is that they really only appear once to offer to join you. So it's very easy to miss the opportunities when they arise. Also each one can cause some different NPC conversations, and though I'm a man that enjoys slamming my face into these games...I don't really want to play through this game like four times over.

If you guys really want to be spoiled though on who the partners can be, it's kinda shown in the attract mode movie. Also we were given a hint either way by the frightening claymation man before enterting the bar.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Spare Naomi. She's saved our butts, and she's kinda relying on us as well. Besides, she doesn't seem annoying, and it would be nice to keep the monster-radar who isn't annoying over risking someone less useful who is annoying.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Get ridda Naomi get her outta here

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Does this game have multiple endings? And if so, does who you have as a partner influence them in any significant way?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Does this game have multiple endings? And if so, does who you have as a partner influence them in any significant way?
There are a total of 6 endings, and yeah, each partner has an ending possibility.

VVVVV
While I never mean to enforce my stupid episode titles, I'm in full support of people's goofy nicknames. And possibly questioning why everyone (and I do mean literally everyone has one in the TokyoMesh).

I'd be 'Hilly' Dunderson.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 16, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I think we're all being quite rude by not remembering to answer Niggurath's question "What's your special Tokyomesh nickname?"

Mine's "Wishy-Washy."

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Little late but during the first episode, I'd fallen asleep my first time through and woke up when Razzo first showed up. Trying to parse what was going on while looking at that cutscene was an incredibly surreal experience.

I vote to get a new partner only in the hopes that we find one that let's you fight back against the monsters. This serial killer fellow seems like the ideal candidate for that choice.

Lotish posted:

I think we're all being quite rude by not remembering to answer Niggurath's question "What's your special Tokyomesh nickname?
I'll go with "Perplexed"

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
I vote new partner in hopes that it's Razzo. It being that serial killer we just heard about is also acceptable.

Limopalise
May 4, 2015

Lotish posted:

I think we're all being quite rude by not remembering to answer Niggurath's question "What's your special Tokyomesh nickname?"

My special Tokyomesh nickname would be "Quixotic".

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So the current tally is 6 to get a new partner and 4 to keep Naomi at this point. It's closer than I would have imagined, but its reasonable to want to be nice. Really from all the LP's I saw of this on youtube, most people did choose to stick with Naomi because of her basic utility but who knows what the other people might bring.

Brought To You By posted:

Little late but during the first episode, I'd fallen asleep my first time through and woke up when Razzo first showed up. Trying to parse what was going on while looking at that cutscene was an incredibly surreal experience.

I vote to get a new partner only in the hopes that we find one that let's you fight back against the monsters. This serial killer fellow seems like the ideal candidate for that choice.

I'll go with "Perplexed"
Razzo and his accompanying sitar are always an unexpected joy to be had.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Niggurath posted:

Razzo and his accompanying sitar are always an unexpected joy to be had.

I like to think that he just shows up places, sitar in hand. No one is really sure where he comes from or how he gets around without anyone noticing, but they've half come to expect him sneaking up behind them to scare the poo poo out of them with his sudden music playing.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Nothing can or will stop the updates from coming. Not even my love of smooth and precious marathon men.

yokaiy posted:

I like to think that he just shows up places, sitar in hand. No one is really sure where he comes from or how he gets around without anyone noticing, but they've half come to expect him sneaking up behind them to scare the poo poo out of them with his sudden music playing.
This is amazing as always and I love it and it's in the OP.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
See? Our new companion seems...great.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I don't remember if you mentioned it in the first episode, but what actually happens if you run too much? Do you just drop dead or run out of "stamina" and can't run anymore for a while?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Demicol posted:

I don't remember if you mentioned it in the first episode, but what actually happens if you run too much? Do you just drop dead or run out of "stamina" and can't run anymore for a while?
Your heart explodes. At least I think, I honestly need to check it out but when I do it for way, way too long the screen starts to darken and turn red....so I almost want to say that the guy dies.

StarkRavingMad posted:

See? Our new companion seems...great.
He's a natural upgrade. We've gone from monster detecting school girl to sociopathic sex creep; it's pretty much a who's who in the world of Japan. He does have an ability though and I'll hopefully get to show it off properly in the next video (and maybe have it hinted at in a forthcoming bonus video).

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So I've been feeling a bit under the weather for most of this week, so I haven't gotten around to a new update but I did have a little bit of time to check out something else. Namely, what might happen if we decided to check out those stairs with our new buddy Kamiya....

It goes as well as you expect.

Also decided to see what happens when you run for too long and it thankfully doesn't kill you, it just completely cements you in place while this goes on:

And finally I also found out that I shouldn't press Start and Select at the same time in this game cause it'll just boot me back to the main menu. All great things to keep in mind.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Kamiya looks like Wesker For Fuckers with sunglasses on. Also I had no idea you could die at the staircase because why the gently caress would you ever go back there.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

As we head deeper and deeper into the depths of the TokyoMesh, it only becomes more and more evident that the only sane people down here might be us and Razzo.

Also it's decision time again! So far our serial killer pal is being a bit of a useless, stick in the mud and we are going to have a chance soon to replace him. So do we keep Wesker for Fuckers or do we roll the dice in hopes for a brighter, less sociopathic future?

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Kamiya looks like Wesker For Fuckers with sunglasses on. Also I had no idea you could die at the staircase because why the gently caress would you ever go back there.
If it were indeed possible I would go back to that staircase with every partner to see every possible way I could fail. Because I love failing.

Finally, the group that made this game for Atlus did have one other game and I'm wondering if it'd be worth showing off in some sort of bonus video because it's A.) just as weird as this poo poo and B.) completely in Japanese.

Limopalise
May 4, 2015

So, Kamiya's ability is to... kill harmless NPCs? While that does sound useful, I think we'd have better luck finding someone else.

Also, I'd be very interested in seeing this other game they made, even if it's in Japanese. I love stuff like this.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

We are not a fucker, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Since we're such phonies and likely a total disappointment to Kamiya, I say DROP 'EM. Let's get a new pal and probably end up doing the same to them! :D

• Locked thread