Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I will play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I would like to be a cop please.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
hello

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I am so so sorry I didn't realize deadline was tonight, I'm away on business until tomorrow morning and won't be able to read the thread at all. I will be able to check the forums briefly though and I can help prevent a no-lynch if it comes to that!

I promise tomorrow I will post annoyingly much

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Legitimate apologies for not posting at all day 1. My job got me moved out to the oilfield for 12-16 hour days last week and it didn't leave me with a lot of free time. That should hopefully be over and i'll have time to play in this game.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I really do not like how Shanakin handled the deadline.

Shanakin posted:

I'm just going to get this over and done with.

It's hard to really say if DC is scum or not, but even after all that we don't have too0 much to go on either way. So Dead Cow, should become Dead Dead Cow, because there's something vaguely suspicious and it will net us some information in the aftermath.

##Vote Dead Cow

I think that should be 7

Shanakin posted:

This thread is picking up speed.

actually I'm curious, could you elaborate a bit on the patterns?

##unvote

Shanakin posted:

VT?

Anyway, not voting at all is probably a better reason to vote for someone than anything I've seen so far.

##Vote Quandry

Votes DC on a non-case, then unvotes and leaves his vote on me for lurking for the remainder of the deadline. This screams to me newish scum trying to get a no-lynch but also trying to look invested in the game and deadline.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Would also vote DGK. Lots of posting but very little substance. He tried to get involved in that dumb loving 'gotcha' on bowmore, and looked to characterize the vote on dead cow as a policy lynch when there was a lot of evidence behind it. Lots of white noise posting.

I don't like deadcow much either, mostly because of the 'gotcha' vote on bowmore. What possible reason would scum have to lie about something so easily confirmable, thats the worst case. Pushing it is the easiest possible vote and reads really scummy to me.

For now though ##Vote Shanakin

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

DGK2000 posted:

1. Bowmore is pretty easy to figure out if he's scum, unless it's changed. Pressure him, insist he's wrong and he tends to freak out if he's scum.
2. I'm used to DC being lynched D1 for no real reason besides "It's DC." You weren't around when we played a lot. It's basically old meta.
3. Ecco was going to prod/replace people with lower post counts than him. I also think it's pretty not true to say lots of white noise posting. I feel my ration is more 3:1 content to noise.

1. Meta is a pretty bad argument and I don't agree with it, and moreover it's one of the easier arguments to make to characterize a case. I don't like that you also added a conditional "unless its changed" in there as an out as well.
2. Just because it was common to policy lynch DC doesn't excuse the fact that its a bad lynch. Especially given that (almost) everyone else on the case had legitimate arguments and reasons, and then you come along with "oh well I guess we're policy lynching" which is a really bad way to justify a vote on the current vote leader. If you want to avoid a no-lynch that's understandable, but playing it off as a policy lynch is bad and an easy case to bandwagon on.
3. Just because you need to have more posts than Ecco doesnt mean they all have to be meaningless.

I really don't like the way multiple times you find the easiest case to make day 1 and bandwagoned on with both bowmore and DC. Would vote.

quote:

I know when I left, there was enough around to get a lynch on DC. Nobody else finds it weird?

Though I do agree with you on this point, it is weird.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Asiina posted:

Hi friends! I caught up during the night but then forgot to bookmark the thread.

I think a scum is DGK.

##vote DGK

Very cool and I agree with you!!! But do you mind telling us why because this post is kinda not helpful tbh.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

Lurker be mad someone voted for him.

Oh drat you caught me on my OMGUS oh no.

I'm gonna go look at bowmore

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

I see that Quandary had much the same thoughts as I do above. :hifive:

:high5:

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Rereading over bowmore and a few of the votes on him, j really do not see it. It strikes me as bowmore was being lazy d1 but didn't read as particularly scummy, and most of the votes on him are based on joke vote stuff or his reaction to calls out on his joke vote stuff and I really disagree with them. Would not vote.

Also, pretty WIFOMy, but I don't think qpq would have cased kleedrac as scum at the beginning of d2 because he would have known more clearly who was killed. But that's just a gut thing.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

fiery_valkyrie posted:

##vote Meinberg

Paying enough attention to the thread that he responds when I call him out, but not actually participating or scum hunting.

I could see a meinberg vote, but I think Shanakin and DGK are much better votes. Go look at Shanakin for me please

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Shanakin how many games have you played?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Shanakin posted:

I probably should have stuck to it too in retrospect, the time limit was up, and a lynch would have been an improvement as mentioned - hell we may even still have had our doctor.

Shanakin posted:

poo poo how'd I miss that. That cements my feelings for Bowmore.

Yeah posts like these are newbie scum 101. Very happy with my vote on shanakin, though I'd switch to dgk or meinberg or DC I guess if that's the way the wind pushes.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Bowmore how do you feel about dgk and shanakin?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

fiery_valkyrie posted:

What is your opinion of Shanakin's content in the game?

Thata kinda irrelevant obviously, I mean he did burn the pastries.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Please do not link lynches before a flip occurs it literally never works well

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I am actually also kinda confused by bowmores edit, posts definitely don't just edit themselves.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

I think Quandary is wasting a vote in voting for Shanakin. As he and I learnt earlier, attempting to hold out to the end is cool and all but getting distracted can ruin it.

We have literally like 2 days until the deadline dude. I'd be willing to vote for DGK and do think he's scum, but I'm more confident in Shanakin at this point.

DGK self voting does nothing to change my opinion of his alignment. Nor is the 'scum replace out' case worth anything.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
We're -1 to lynching DGK. Someone unvote so we dont lynch and waste a ton of good discussion time.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

DGK2000 posted:

Oh yeah, this is totally a solid town thing to say in any alignment.

It makes literally no difference whether we lynch DGK right now or in two days, except that in that case we have 2 more days worth of posts to go on for later days.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Honestly the main reason I think chain lynches are bad is that they're distracting and completely irrelevant. Discuss the impact of someone's scum flip after they flip scum when you actually know a flip, not before.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Asiina posted:

I think bowmore is someone who isn't really paying a whole lot of attention, but I don't see that as a scumtell for him. I feel like the Shanakin case is pretty shaky. Yes he (she?) was one of the people who didn't vote for DC at the end of the day, and that is suspicious, but I'll take Shanakin and Gridlocked at their word that Shanakin forgot deadline. The rest looks like typical newbie awkwardness and is generally null. With a gun to my head I'd vote Shanakin, but I think there are much better votes out there currently.

In my mind it's not that Shanakin forget the deadline, its that she pulled her vote off onto a lurker just as the vote was getting close. Why do that, even if you're planning on coming back for the deadline? It's blatant looking to make a case but not looking to get a lynch. Beyond that, Shanakin has a few posts that are just newbie scum 101.

Also lol at cop claim

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I feel extraordinarly strongly about Shanakin being newbie scum.

Shanakin posted:

I'm just going to get this over and done with.

It's hard to really say if DC is scum or not, but even after all that we don't have too0 much to go on either way. So Dead Cow, should become Dead Dead Cow, because there's something vaguely suspicious and it will net us some information in the aftermath.

##Vote Dead Cow

I think that should be 7

This is his vote on DC. Nothing too it at all except a blantant bandwagon. 2 minutes later:

Shanakin posted:

This thread is picking up speed.

actually I'm curious, could you elaborate a bit on the patterns?

##unvote

The unvote is in regards to a post DC made about his scum reads. An easy way to unvote and attempt to still show suspicion while preventing a lynch. This is followed up 4 minutes later by a lurker vote, where it stays until deadline. My vote has nothing to do with whether or not Shanakin was away or forgot to come back by deadline to revote DC, it has to do with the way he tried to look like he was on the lynch DC train without staying on it, in the most newbie scum way possible.

In addition, one of the most common newbie scum tells is attempts to try to use 'go town!'rhetoric. I did this a shitton as newbie scum, and Shanakin is doing it here:

Shanakin posted:

1. Yep, at the end of the day it was pretty much a band wagon. I probably should have stuck to it too in retrospect, the time limit was up, and a lynch would have been an improvement as mentioned - hell we may even still have had our doctor. It's not like Day 1 really had much solid to go on besides some nitpicky arguments of vague suspicion. At least if there was then it was beyond me.

Shanakin even does the tried and true method of giving content without content by so kindly doing a votecount for us day 1.

Day 2, this is his scum reads:

Shanakin posted:

Now so I can actually contribute something of my own, I rather like Asiina's case against DGK, so I went over day 1 again and other the thing that stood out to me was the kind of awkward passive antagonism between bowmore and WVM, that Kleedrac picked up on, but fizzled into the background as soon as DC showed. That could just be because there wasn't a whole lot of substance to go on at that point but it felt kind of hollow even then.

There is the whole bowmore lied thing, but that felt kind of overblown. I didn't really like the way

I'm tossing up between DKG and bowmore, but my gut says Bowmore so that's what I'm going to go with.

##Vote Bowmore

The first paragraph is the most nonsense non-commital read possible, and the second half is a toss-up between two of the more primary targets of the day, both thrown out without much reasons. There's a few other posts in there, but his vote has since been switched to DGK with the following well thought out scum hunting:

Shanakin posted:

Although I maintain my accusations of suspicion, I did agree on the case against DGK. Grid has convinced me to vote against DGK.

##VOTE DGK

To summarize this case, Shanakin is newbie scum because he has spent the whole first two days attempting to give reads without scum hunting, jumping around from popular case to popular case without any reasoning, and when reasoning is given its in the most non-commital sense possible, to the extent of even unvoting if challenged. Seriously, read the post history guys.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

Shan's a guy.

Apologies, I think I subconsciously keep thinking Shanakin is Savahontas who is a girl and it's throwing me off.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
It would be extremely silly at this point to distrust the cop claim or assume a godfather role. They're both possibilities, but far less likely than the most likely suggestion which is that grandi is telling the truth and that DGK is town

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Shanakin posted:

Well in light of this I hope Quandry wont hold it against me if I ##unvote DKG.

Please spell my name right, thank you.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
WWM if you don't trust the cop claim, why aren't you voting one of grandi/dgk?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

I see why he doesn't though, he believes both DC and DGK to be scum and is fine with either getting lynched; it's just everyone stopped voting for DGK thus putting one vote on him and never moving is effectively wasting one vote for the town unless we all pile back onto DGK.

This is a really bad way to view votes. Until the deadline is close, a vote is nothing more than a symbolic show of where you believe scum is. If you legitimately believe someone is scum, it doesn't make sense to pull a vote off of them until the deadline, as the vote is what shows your suspicion. If he doesn't believe the cop claim then he should be fighting to convince the rest of us to his viewpoint, not going "oh well no-one agrees might as well vote elsewhere".

I can't decide if doing that is scummy or just being bad at mafia.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Just got home, looks like I'm -1. Let me shower and then I can read the thread closer and claim.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Alright, might as well claim since I'm pretty sure my role is worthless. My flavor name is Ezra Noor, and I'm a cop, though I'm fairly confident I'm a paranoid cop. My role pm also mentions that I grew up with a brother who I learned all my detective skills with so there may be other cops in the game, which is why I wasn't jumping up and down to attack Grandi day 2 when he claimed.

N1 I investigated Shanakin and got a scum result, and N2 I investigated Grandi and got a scum result as well, but when he flipped town and naive, I realized I'm probably the paranoid counterpart to his role. The only way that wouldn't be true is if Grandi was hit by a mafia framer or something, but that seems unlikely and occams razor says I'm probably paranoid. This is also why I've been pushing Shanakin so hard, though obviously it's not trustworthy now. N1 I investigated Shanakin honestly because it was the first name to jump out to me - as you guys know I wasn't around D1 so I kinda picked a name out of a hat. N2 I investigated Grandi because despite what my pm said, there was no guarantee there was another cop or if there was about their alignment.

Now that I can't trust my investigation on Shan, I need to go re-read. I trust the mason crew right now - if they were all scum that means we'd have at least 5 scum in 13 players (since 2 already flipped), which is ridiculous, so the only thing that's possible is that they're town. I need to go re-read DC, Gridlocked, and Shan to see where I think the last scum is.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I would be beyond shocked and extremely impressed if Gridlocked was scum right now. Reading through his posts strikes exactly as unconcerned newbie town. Newbie scum overthink everything, and Gridlocked consistently posts things and asks questions that I think would never get on the page if they were thought about too hard. I completely agree with WWM's characteriziation as a 'cute little innocent lamb of a town'.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Shanakin posted:

Well that explains where that comes from, but if you get night killed wont that probably end the game? Unless Masons count? I'm not used to that if so.

Masons generally count as town, unless there's some weird alignment stuff which is possible because Ecco likes to do those things, but I think unlikely. Given the 3 coin flavor and the fact that as a general rule 13 player games have 3 scum, I think it's a reasonable assumption there is 1 scum left and are a few days away from LYLO still

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I'm leaning towards Shan as well, but I can't decide if I think DC is ballsy enough to bus bowmore so hard. Something about the day 1 interactions between the two seems a little out there and makes me a little uncomfortable, but I don't know if DC would do that. DC is a mafia regular right?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

I love how people are so condescending. So far the only person not to be was FV (not counting Shanakin)

It's loving wonderful.

That's mafia for you :)

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Investigated DC last night, came back scum as expected. :geno:

I think it's DC. I can't see Gridlocked as scum at all, and the more I read it the more I feel like DC was bussing bowmore hard all D1.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Yeah, on one more re-read I think it is DC. Look at D1 interactions with bowmore, on both sides they are unnecessarily in each others faces over bad things, it strikes me as the two of them looking to get distance but not having enough to go off at the point so it ends up being pretty petty attacks and cases.

##Vote DC

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

No comment on your "100% sure" that Shanakin was scum? Just "next target". How do we know you're not lying to us Quand

I didn't say that? I was leaning towards Shanakin yesterday but I was undecided between the two of them and said as much. Shanakin was lynched yesterday before I had a chance to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

DGK2000 posted:

With the masons discussion, I believe that it's Quandary. And making sure our recruiter was out of the way gives him safety for his claim, since it too was a copping role.

I'm not following this logic - how was the recruiter a copping role? Also, was the recruiter ever claimed? I only remember seeing QPQ and WWM being masons together not one claim recruiter.

• Locked thread