Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm kinda hype for Minority Report. If it's nearly as good as 12 Monkeys turned out to be, we could be seeing a rash of sci-fi film adaptations soon.

Though it's a sci-fi series on Fox, so I'm not holding my breath to make it past 6 episodes which will be aired out of order and then shifted around the schedule before getting a death slot.

quote:

The murder attracts the attention of LAPD homicide detective CHLOE DANCER

Way to sneak that not subtle at all Mother Love Bone reference in there, TV writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Toxxupation posted:

the amount of whining that goes on whenever FOX cancels a sci-fi show, which literally only nerds on the internet end up watching (going by ratings, critical reaction, and general buzz), that only they would've greenlit in the first place (notice all those ZERO sci-fi shows that other networks are airing?) astounds me, it's like a joke at this point

"HOW DARE THEY CANCEL A SHOW NOBODY WAS WATCHING AND NOBODY GIVES A gently caress ABOUT! FIREFLY FOREVER...."

:jerkbag: I've been watching Fox shows long enough to know this practice extends well beyond Firefly and for shows that were rated well above it. Fringe is the exception and I doubt Anna Torv being related to Rupert Murdoch has nothing to do with that, because while I love Fringe there's no way it should've lasted as long as it did otherwise.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh my god are we going to do that in this thread too?

The recent fox sci-fi show cancellation - Almost Human - was cancelled because it was bad and no one watched it not because it was mistreated by the network or whatever.

And meanwhile Sleepy Hollow is getting a third season.

Dark fantasy is in, so yeah.

But like Toxxupation's RaGePoST against a single :thejoke: I made about Fox's history, one example isn't what I'm talking about. Settle down. Fox isn't going to cry if I tease it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Golden Bee posted:

Got a sneak look at Minority Report.

The leads are good (her more than him), but there's as much originality as there is banality. For every clever gag (like the music in the old folks' home) there are 2-3 "THIS IS THE THEME OF THE SHOW!" lines, or "AS YOU AND I BOTH KNOW" info dumps, or a purely 1 dimensional character.

The guy playing the senator kicks rear end though.

That's pretty par for the course in sci-fi pilots, I find. I usually give new shows about 3 episodes for the actors to find their chemistry (unless it's obviously terrible), or longer if I enjoy the premise. Jericho had sucky family drama for about 8 episodes and then got really good.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Fox will construct an AI voice comprised of decades of Harry Shearer voice samples capable of emulating him perfectly, and nobody will know the difference.

DoggPickle posted:

Jericho was probably the craziest version of COMPLETELY SUCKED AT FIRST, and then turned over into something cool, that I've ever seen. It's some kind of weird anomaly. 99.99999% of the time, if the first 4 episodes still suck, then the show sucks, but Jericho somehow improved drastically after that. Weird. but FUN!

Unsurprisingly Lennie James was the best part of it too. Though the scene where Stanley just walks up and shoots Goetz in the loving face is one of my favorite comeuppance scenes ever. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Chairman Capone posted:

Jericho was always a mixed bag for me. The production and acting and writing got a lot better as the show went on, especially season 2. But I also far preferred the post-disaster struggling to survive concept of the first season over the American Revolution/conspiracy plot of the second season.

Late season 1 was probably the peak of the show, quality-wise. Some of the show's best moments happen in season 2, but everything was so compressed because they had to tell a season's worth of story in 7 episodes.

• Locked thread