Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

why do you hate investigative journalists

Hmm, clearly all investigative journalists repetitively present unsubstantiated stories and then stick by them after their house of cards fall apart. I hate all investigative journalists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Flocons de Jambon posted:

People are taking issue with the wording of a third hand characterization of how shot up bin Laden was while still admitting "Sure, I bet they shot him a lot, but..."

There might be some overlap in the amount of damage done to a human body that is described third hand as "torn to pieces" or leaving "not much left" and the amount of damage done by people who admit to shooting him multiple times.

It's absurd.

"Sure, I bet they shot him a lot, but...the end result as reported is impossible or requires behavior that's impractical to the point of absurdity" seems like a legit criticism of the reporting.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

People are taking issue with the wording of a third hand characterization of how shot up bin Laden was while still admitting "Sure, I bet they shot him a lot, but..."

There might be some overlap in the amount of damage done to a human body that is described third hand as "torn to pieces" or leaving "not much left" and the amount of damage done by people who admit to shooting him multiple times.

It's absurd.

You're right, it's probably exaggeration. His body was still intact. Which explains why Obama had to lie about where the body was - the piece they chucked out of the helicopter was the whole corpse!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

It's absurd.

it's kind of silly of you to be all "oh this is the one thing you find wrong with the story, how plebian" when it's only the strangest claim on the top of the pile of strange claims

remember that hersh('s totally connected anonymous source) is claiming that OBL's body was shot to poo poo so badly that it had to be disposed of secretly lest it not be identified as OBL. you'd have to really go to town on a corpse for that to be the case, and even then it's not like we wouldn't have shown the corpse if we really wanted to. there are more plausible reasons to quietly dispose of the corpse, such as it's a needless provocation to lay the brutalized corpse of your enemies before the eyes of the world

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 14, 2015

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Seymour Hersh just gave the best interview ever.

quote:

Isaac Chotiner: If the plan until the night of the raid was to use the cover story that he had not been killed in a raid but in a drone strike, then why have the raid at all? Why not just have the Pakistanis kill him? Why risk Obama’s presidency?

Seymour Hersh: Of course there is no answer there because I haven’t talked to any of the principals. But I can just give you what the people who were in the process believed to be so, which is that for [Gens.] Pasha and Kayani, the chance of something like that getting leaked out would be devastating. America was then running at about 8 percent popularity in Pakistan, and Bin Laden was running at 60, 70 percent. He was very popular. [Editor’s note: This 2010 opinion poll says that Bin Laden’s popularity was at 18 percent in Pakistan.] You couldn’t just take a chance, because if someone ratted you out—I can only give you a basic theory.

Chotiner: It just seems like a huge raid with Pakistani complicity brings up just as many problems for the Pakistanis.

Seymour Hersh
Hersh: If you believe, as a smart guy said to me, if anybody, if anyone didn’t think the president was going to gently caress [the Pakistani military] they are out of their mind. He was always going to gently caress them.

Chotiner: OK. In your piece you call into question that the Americans got valuable documents in the raid. But Ayman al-Zawahiri, the current head of al-Qaida, himself seemed to confirm that this was true. How do you handle that contradiction?

Hersh: I handle it pretty easy. [Laughs] The issue for me is the treasure trove issue. Did the SEALS take out piles of computers? There were claims they found computers and disks and sticks, what do they call those sticks?

Chotiner: I don’t know.

Hersh: You’re not as old as I am.
You should know that. Anyway, the SEALs mission was to go kill the guy. They did pick up some papers, but most of the papers were delivered by the ISI. He was a prisoner under their control. He wasn’t beaten and could walk around but it was a prison. He couldn’t get out. They kept encouraging him to write stuff. And he did. But I am bothered by the contradictions. [The] president said it was a treasure trove so there had to be a treasure trove. Is it real? I don’t know. It was used in a trial. Is it real? Is it not? I don’t know.

Chotiner: You seem slightly annoyed that Obama double-crossed the Pakistanis.

Hersh: Double-crossed is your word.

Chotiner: OK fine.
I want to understand why you seem bothered by that, aside from the lying. Turning our back on the worst elements in Pakistan who we have long nurtured doesn’t seem so bad. We have supported them forever.

Hersh: Why do we do that?

Chotiner: Because we see it as being in our own interest.

Hersh: Well no, we do it for nukes.

Chotiner: Fine, we see that as being in our interest.

Hersh: In my experience in the last 30 years, one of the major worries was about the “Islamic bomb,” about Pakistan. If you knew the lengths to which we go, working with the ISI, to make sure some ultranationalist or ultrajihadist doesn’t get [control of nukes].

Chotiner: Yes, although you could argue that if we hadn’t nurtured these elements for so long, the country would be less of a threat.

Hersh: You could argue anything.

Chotiner: I want to—

Hersh: Swing away fella.

Chotiner: You sent me—

Hersh: You probably don’t know that NBC reported, and now they have reported it on one of these dopey afternoon shows with that woman, what’s her name, the NBC woman who claims to have some knowledge of foreign policy, married to Alan Greenspan.

Chotiner: Andrea Mitchell.

Hersh: She’s comical. On her show the administration is acknowledging walk-ins but saying the walk-ins aren’t necessarily linked to Bin Laden.

Chotiner: The AFP piece, which you sent me approvingly, says the same thing, that there is no evidence the walk-in led to Bin Laden, and that the walk-in did not even know the target was Bin Laden.

Hersh: Uh huh, OK.

Chotiner: OK but here is my question about journalism, since you have been doing this longer than I have—

Hersh: Oh poor you, you don’t know anything. It is amazing you can speak the God’s English.

Chotiner: Are you hoping with this piece to say that you made no mistakes, or that OK there were mistakes because I am getting the ball rolling? You have quoted two pieces very approvingly, from NBC and AFP, that differ from key points in your own story. I want to know how accurate you think your story now is.

Hersh: [Laughs loudly] Well I will tell you one thing: At one point a copy editor in England confronted me about the SEALs training in Nevada and changed it to Utah, and the line made it because according to her they were sort of the same.

Chotiner: The AFP piece contradicts your piece but you aren’t running around worried about that.

Hersh: I sent it approvingly because it crossed my desk and it does say there were walk-ins. [Laughs] You can read it any way you want. The White House has been very clever about this. They have gone after me personally. They don’t like me boo hoo hoo. But they have been very careful to hedge everything, they quote Peter Bergen. Bergen or Berger, is that his name?

Chotiner: Bergen.

Hersh: They quote him. He views himself as the trustee of all things Bin Laden.

Chotiner: I just want to talk to you about your piece and journalism.

Hersh: What difference does it make what the gently caress I think about journalism? I don’t think much of the journalism that I see. If you think I write stories where it is all right to just be good enough, are you kidding? You think I have a cavalier attitude on throwing stuff out? Are you kidding? I am not cavalier about what I do for a living.

Chotiner: I don’t think you are cavalier. That was not my question.

Hersh: Whatever it is, it’s an impossible question. It’s almost like you are asking me to say that there are flaws in everybody. Yes. Do I acknowledge that not everybody can be perfect? But I am not backing off anything I said.

It took all the restraint I had not to bold everything. And this is just the first psge. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...journalism.html

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
heck, if you have just like a few ziploc baggies left of the notorious terrorist mastermind's mortal remains, say he was wearing a suicide belt or you shot him with a rocket while he was getting into a jeep or something. hersh is just inventing needless skullduggery and "just asking questions" for kicks it sounds like

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

trapped mouse posted:

Seymour Hersh just gave the best interview ever.

It took all the restraint I had not to bold everything. And this is just the first psge. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...journalism.html

Ahahaha, holy poo poo.

Page 2 is just as good.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm waiting for him to announce that he's taken a position with RT.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
The White House at the time said their intent was to capture him. They might have felt it was easier to explain an Islamic burial at sea then a shot to pieces old man collected without casualties by a small squad.

This is a decision that would've been made over a few hours, and since they were including false statements in Obama's speech anyway (if you believe the stuff NBC has corroborated, the walk-in, the couriers), why reveal something that could lead to other awkward questions about the raid itself?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The White House at the time said their intent was to capture him. They might have felt it was easier to explain an Islamic burial at sea then a shot to pieces old man collected without casualties by a small squad.

This is a decision that would've been made over a few hours, and since they were including false statements in Obama's speech anyway (if you believe the stuff NBC has corroborated, the walk-in, the couriers), why reveal something that could lead to other awkward questions about the raid itself?

Ok by "shot to pieces" do you mean OBL's body is literally a pile of pieces, or do you just mean "shot a bunch of times"? Because if it's the former than you still have to account for how that possibly could have happened.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
I mean precisely 27 bullets. Not 28. Certainly not 23 or 24

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Maybe 26.

EDIT: Possibly 25. 25 SEALS went in. They made the correct tactical decision to only allow one shot each. They wanted to conserve ammo because they're loving ice cold, trigger-pulling, life-taking, heart-breaking warriors.

Flocons de Jambon fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 14, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Maybe 26.

EDIT: Possibly 25. 25 SEALS went in. They made the correct tactical decision to only allow one shot each. They wanted to conserve ammo because they're loving ice cold, trigger-pulling, life-taking, heart-breaking warriors.

idgi

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
That is you made two confusing posts. I'm not sure what the point of either one is. Are you confused about something?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bip Roberts posted:

That is you made two confusing posts. I'm not sure what the point of either one is. Are you confused about something?

he thinks the pedantic focus on 'shot to pieces' is a distraction and an odd detail to focus on, rather than being an amusing example of how this narrative makes little sense

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
How does Hersh explain the controversy over shots of OBL's dead body? Didn't congress people see those? Does he think the pictures were fake?

Full-Bodied Flavor
Jan 8, 2011

I'm glad Osama bin laden died.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
we can't entirely rule out that osama bin laden was a CIA false flag holographic projection who was actually killed by a laser-equipped 747 in 2003

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

ErIog posted:

How does Hersh explain the controversy over shots of OBL's dead body? Didn't congress people see those? Does he think the pictures were fake?

Why would he need to explain that? If the body was badly shot up, the fact that only congresspeople saw it would support his allegations.

I have wondered why OBL wasn't taken alive from a purely practical standpoint -- if he's still active enough to be dealing with couriers and has a "treasure trove" of intelligence, he must be worth interrogating.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Series DD Funding posted:

Only to people who've gotten all their gun knowledge from video games.

Special Forces are all trained to unleash Barrett's limit breaks on their targets.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Full-Bodied Flavor posted:

I'm glad Osama bin laden died.
Heh way to fall for it scrub.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I can't name my sources, but they've provided me with information about how bin Laden was really killed along with this tactical rendition that was shown to members of congress:

It's corroborated by Hersh's report. And if you don't believe me? I guess you've just got a problem with journalism :smuggo:

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Maybe 26.

SEAL Bullets Can't Melt Terror Bones

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Popular Thug Drink posted:

heck, if you have just like a few ziploc baggies left of the notorious terrorist mastermind's mortal remains, say he was wearing a suicide belt or you shot him with a rocket while he was getting into a jeep or something. hersh is just inventing needless skullduggery and "just asking questions" for kicks it sounds like
Yeah this basically. Occam's razor remains as true as ever.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 14, 2015

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

The White House at the time said their intent was to capture him.

A lie by everything we know.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The White House at the time said their intent was to capture him.

Not quite. The White House said that if he surrendered they would have taken him alive. It is doubtful that's true. However nothing I saw indicated that they said their goal was to take him alive: instead they merely said if he was clearly not a threat and surrendered they wouldn't have killed him anyway. It's doubtful they would have because of the possibility of a suicide vest, as well as that everything is much, much easier with Osama as a corpse instead of a prisoner who creates all sorts of problems (do you try him in the criminal courts, military tribunal, does it create a terror threat, does it give him a platform, do you torture him, etc). And if you consider him a combatant (lawful or unlawful) it is perfectly legal to attempt to kill him - it's just a violation of numerous international laws and US military law to kill him after he surrenders.

That's why the administration said that they would have taken him alive if he surrendered - it would be illegal if they didn't. But I don't think that anyone pretended the goal was to take him alive: I think everyone was pretty clear they were perfectly happy he was dead and it wasn't any sort of mission failure.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Bip Roberts posted:

He might be trolling. Or perhaps he's just an idiot.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Are there any diplomatic ramifications of it coming out that the US and Pakistan may have been scratching each other's backs or are US-Pakistan relations already so bad that it doesn't even matter?

Also, on a scale of 1 to 10 Benghazis, how many Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

evilweasel posted:

as well as that everything is much, much easier with Osama as a corpse instead of a prisoner who creates all sorts of problems (do you try him in the criminal courts, military tribunal, does it create a terror threat, does it give him a platform, do you torture him, etc). And if you consider him a combatant (lawful or unlawful) it is perfectly legal to attempt to kill him - it's just a violation of numerous international laws and US military law to kill him after he surrenders.

I'm so ashamed of my country that this is even a question.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

It's absurd.

I don't have private messages so I'll just ask outright- can I link to a video of an ISIL execution? It shows a long line of prone prisoners and a group of gunmen armed with 7.62x39mm (bigger than the 5.56mm used in the raid) rifles. I chose this video because the prisoners were forced to disrobe, so you can conclusively see how bodies don't disintegrate under automatic fire. Execution videos and combat footage (i.e. close range, rifle caliber small arms) from other conflicts will bare this out.

The exception is gun shots to the head- intracranial overpressure can sometimes cause catastrophic exit wounds- but I assume when people talk about OBL being obliterated, they don't just mean the back of his skull was missing.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
there's really no reason to demonstrate the effects of bullets on the body when hersh's claim is clearly absurd to begin with

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Yeah, don't post that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dilkington posted:

I don't have private messages so I'll just ask outright- can I link to a video of an ISIL execution?

I'd rather you didn't, as I think the forum software would make it auto-display even if you tried to link it and nobody needs to see that by surprise (or, if it's a clickable link, you could accidentally click on it) If you really want to post something like that to put it in some way that people can reconstruct the link, but it's not clickable (like this: :nms: https://www.goo[remove]gle.com :nms: ) but I don't think anyone's going to change their minds. They'll just move onto some other explanation.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I'd rather you didn't, as I think the forum software would make it auto-display even if you tried to link it and nobody needs to see that by surprise (or, if it's a clickable link, you could accidentally click on it) If you really want to post something like that to put it in some way that people can reconstruct the link, but it's not clickable (like this: :nms: https://www.goo[remove]gle.com :nms: ) but I don't think anyone's going to change their minds. They'll just move onto some other explanation.

Not related to wanting to post execution videos, but I haven't seen an embedded video on SA in forever, is there an option to make youtube/video links displayable as you say?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

literally copied the actual youtube link and pasted it into this reply, and it automatically changed to the video tags

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nonsense posted:

Not related to wanting to post execution videos, but I haven't seen an embedded video on SA in forever, is there an option to make youtube/video links displayable as you say?

It's in your user profile whether you get them embedded or just linked, IIRC.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nonsense posted:

code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFKLqlMAGhs becomes [video type="youtube"]ZFKLqlMAGhs[/video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFKLqlMAGhs&t=11s becomes [video type="youtube" start="11"]ZFKLqlMAGhs[/video]
e:

code:
https://vimeo.com/120651005 becomes [video type="vimeo"]120651005[/video]

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I see my bubble was set to "no", I have remedied that, and will enjoy poster's videos, not related to the death of innocents.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

evilweasel posted:

Not quite. The White House said that if he surrendered they would have taken him alive. It is doubtful that's true. However nothing I saw indicated that they said their goal was to take him alive: instead they merely said if he was clearly not a threat and surrendered they wouldn't have killed him anyway. It's doubtful they would have because of the possibility of a suicide vest, as well as that everything is much, much easier with Osama as a corpse instead of a prisoner who creates all sorts of problems (do you try him in the criminal courts, military tribunal, does it create a terror threat, does it give him a platform, do you torture him, etc). And if you consider him a combatant (lawful or unlawful) it is perfectly legal to attempt to kill him - it's just a violation of numerous international laws and US military law to kill him after he surrenders.

That's why the administration said that they would have taken him alive if he surrendered - it would be illegal if they didn't. But I don't think that anyone pretended the goal was to take him alive: I think everyone was pretty clear they were perfectly happy he was dead and it wasn't any sort of mission failure.

I was always a little confused by that part. Would it have been at all likely that bin Laden would have been wearing a suicide vest? I mean, as far as he knew, it was just a normal night for him chilling in his mansion. Was the idea that he'd have an emergency suicide vest lying around on stand-by for just such a situation? I mean, it just seems like a weird thing to have your soldiers assume a priori, unless your intention was explicitly that this was an assassination mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, don't post that.

evilweasel posted:

I'd rather you didn't,

That's fair enough. If anyone is interested, the incident in question is the ISIS attack on the Tabqa Airbase and subsequent execution of its defenders. You can find grainy footage on liveleak, but the most damning evidence comes from a Al Hayat Media Center video documenting the attack ("fasharred_2[TabqaAirbaseSAAvISIS].mp4" was how it showed up on archive.org). I have no idea where you can find this video now, and I'm not uploading it unless I figure out how to do so anonymously.

• Locked thread