Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dommer416
Aug 4, 2013

Hello little children your uncle is here.
First, here is a link to the OS.

https://www.lakka.tv

http://www.lakka.tv/videos/menu.mp4 <-- what the OS looks like

If you have not yet heard of Lakka, it is an OS centered around retro gaming. Packed with it are a set of emulators for famicom, nes, snes, PS, Genisis, and few others. As the OS is matured more and more I assume that more emulators will be added. Since it is a linux distro I guess you could also add Dosbox and whatever else you wanted installed on the set of hardware you wanted to put it onto.

As it is now it isn't meant for desktops as a normal user would have, though a virtual machine or KVM slot could certainly be used for it. Why not just get visualboy advance to play pokemon? I dunno. Currently mini-PC type systems are available for install, making that Raspberry pi the perfect thing to use for gaming.

Not only the pi is supported though, pi 2, PCDuino, and other types of mini-PC's are useable with the distro. The site has very well set instructions for windows, mac,. and linux users for installation of the OS on SD cards depending on the users system (now if only there were BSD specific instructions :P).

There is also support for basic PC controllers, as well as xbox 360 and playstation controllers so that users don't have to go out and buy new ones that were specifically assigned for the OS.

Personally, right now my PSP does good emulation for me and I have systems for other games. While I may not use this right now, someday I will have a nice big flatscreen TV and I'll want to play a slew of NES games. I can see myself using this OS in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dommer416
Aug 4, 2013

Crotch Fruit posted:

Looks interesting, although I am not at all a fan of the websites graphical design style. The icons in the preview just look weird and the color choices are horrible, but of course that has little do with the rest of the project.

What I like most about the idea is the ability to use a regular PC, a Pi is awesome but you have to connect everything via USB so you need a powered hub with a wifi dongle hanging off, some sort of mass storage solution, and a USB port for each controller, all crammed into a custom made box. . . Which would all be easier to do with a mini-itx PC, and a regular PC could handle gamecube or wii emulation.

As I said it is linux, so it could be edited as such. Also I assume that more additions will be added later on. It is definately something to look forward to :3

Dommer416
Aug 4, 2013

Honestly when I move into an apartment in a year or two this will be on my pi and will be often used :P

• Locked thread