Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OldSenileGuy posted:

So I don't know the first thing about any of DC's TV shows, but I was under the impression that all of their TV shows shared a universe separate from all the movies. But Supergirl appears to be a part of the DC cinematic universe? Is that right?

They said the TV & movie universes would be separate, that's about it. The only thing I saw that linked Supergirl with Man of Steel was the whole "it's not an S" line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

computer parts posted:

They said the TV & movie universes would be separate, that's about it. The only thing I saw that linked Supergirl with Man of Steel was the whole "it's not an S" line.

That's not necessarily a MoS reference. The symbol being a family crest thing has been in the comics for a while, and IIRC comes from the Reeves movies?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Supergirl has people smiling in it so it's probably not in the DC movie universe.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Deadpool posted:

It's not part of the CW universe almost for sure. But we don't know if it's part of the movie universe or not. It could just be its own thing like Gotham.

Considering she's like 24 and 12 years older than Kal, they know they're cousins, Jimmy is a black man, and Kal is apparently giving her his baby blanket for a cape, this is not happening in the same universe as Man of Steel.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah and people seem to love her and the new Superman movie about how people are afraid of him for destroying the city in the last one. I think the show is a wholly separate thing not tied to any other DC TV or movie properties.

Gyges posted:

Considering she's like 24 and 12 years older than Kal, they know they're cousins, Jimmy is a black man, and Kal is apparently giving her his baby blanket for a cape, this is not happening in the same universe as Man of Steel.

None of those things really preclude it from being in the Man of Steel universe though. But I agree that it's not.

X-O fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 14, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Deadpool posted:

Yeah and people seem to love her and the new Superman movie about how people are afraid of him for destroying the city in the last one. I think the show is a wholly separate thing not tied to any other DC TV or movie properties.

Calista Flockhart gets her hands on some super-powered wrinkle cream that makes her skin tough as stone and becomes the show's Lex Luthor. :haw:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Deadpool posted:

It's not part of the CW universe almost for sure. But we don't know if it's part of the movie universe or not. It could just be its own thing like Gotham.

I'd have to dig for a few minutes, but I'm pretty sure I saw an article around the time CBS first announced it had ordered Supergirl to series, that said it WOULD be part of the CW universe (which'd probably make somewhat sense since CW is owned by CBS or CBS's parent company or something, IIRC). At the very least, they share executive producers. Whether or not they'd actually do any crossovers, beats me.

Aphrodite posted:

No, Constantine was not part of Flash/Arrow Earth, and Supergirl is thus far separate from everything though producers have expressed an interest in including it with Arrow and Flash in the past.

Not explicitly and wouldn't have been if NBC had kept Constantine, but Stephen Amell tweeted himself that he'd crossover with Arrow if CW picked up Constantine.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So apparently there is another cut with more action and the alien plot. 2 min long. The music is just as bad, just in the other direction of the one they used in upfronts.

http://cdn.springboardplatform.com/storage/Spoilertv.com/conversion/1523563.mp4

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

xeria posted:

I'd have to dig for a few minutes, but I'm pretty sure I saw an article around the time CBS first announced it had ordered Supergirl to series, that said it WOULD be part of the CW universe (which'd probably make somewhat sense since CW is owned by CBS or CBS's parent company or something, IIRC). At the very least, they share executive producers. Whether or not they'd actually do any crossovers, beats me.

Nobody ever said that. The one thing we do know is that the producers of Arrow and Flash have said that Superman does not exist in their universe. So he's definitely not an already established and well known active superhero in those shows like he is in Supergirl and that pretty much means it's not part of the same universe.

Sober posted:

So apparently there is another cut with more action and the alien plot. 2 min long. The music is just as bad, just in the other direction of the one they used in upfronts.

Well I see now why they didn't show more that fight. Either it's really not even close to done or it's just really really bad CG.

X-O fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 14, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Crossovers are kinda dumb most of the time anyway. Except that crossover series CW is working on I guess, because it stops being a crossover and is now just a show with a bunch of random superpowered people flexing in it.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Deadpool posted:

Nobody ever said that. The one thing we do know is that the producers of Arrow and Flash have said that Superman does not exist in their universe. So he's definitely not an already established and well known active superhero in those shows like he is in Supergirl and that pretty much means it's not part of the same universe.

"Though Supergirl will be airing on The CW’s parent network, Berlanti has already gone on record to say that the heroine exists in the same universe as the scarlet speedster and emerald archer, so we could be in for an epic cross-network crossover with The Flash and Arrow—and the superhero team-up spin-off, should it move forward."

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/06/supergirl

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sober posted:

"I've always wanted to help people" - 24 year old superhuman who has never even tested her powers prior to this point despite having them with 12 years. Also, her heat vision is blue. Which is odd.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

xeria posted:

"Though Supergirl will be airing on The CW’s parent network, Berlanti has already gone on record to say that the heroine exists in the same universe as the scarlet speedster and emerald archer, so we could be in for an epic cross-network crossover with The Flash and Arrow—and the superhero team-up spin-off, should it move forward."

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/06/supergirl

Except there's no actual quote of him ever saying that. He said back in September that it was a possibility but that was before the show was even out of the script stage.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Deadpool posted:

Except there's no actual quote of him ever saying that. He said back in September that it was a possibility but that was before the show was even out of the script stage.

That's fine. I just said that I had read it in an article and then found said article.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah I know, but the Arrow and Flash producers were just talking a couple months back about he they couldn't even use Metropolis as a city in their shows because of restrictions DC has. DC is notoriously weird about what they'll allow in some shows and not others. Just this season they've had to write a lot of things on Arrow out of the show because of the Suicide Squad movie. And the Bat-Embargo from their cartoons is pretty infamous.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

tsob posted:

"I've always wanted to help people" - 24 year old superhuman who has never even tested her powers prior to this point despite having them with 12 years. Also, her heat vision is blue. Which is odd.

Her sister initially seems to be cribbing from MoS with the whole "Don't expose yourself, even if it means people will die" thing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you're not watching Elementary you're missing the gently caress out.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hopefully the Dean Cain casting means Supergirl takes place in the Lois and Clark universe

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
CBS is a super white people channel. Anyways the interesting thing about Supergirl is that from the trailer most of her core friends know she's Supergirl so they won't milk her hiding from her friends for drama.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaunab posted:

CBS is a super white people channel. Anyways the interesting thing about Supergirl is that from the trailer most of her core friends know she's Supergirl so they won't milk her hiding from her friends for drama.

They can still milk hiding from her boss for drama, along with the public in general. Though the fact she's ripping her blouse off as she runs down the street says the show's probably not too interested in that one. I'm not even sure how they're going to work her job against her saving people. Is Cat Grant just not going to care that her personal secretary disappears for large portions of the day without notice or reason despite being set up as a bit of an uncaring bitch regarding employees? Or is she just going to conveniently have reason to duck out and get coffee every time something happens to be going down? It's such a stupid job to pick as your civilian identity, even discounting how uncool it is.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 14, 2015

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

WarLocke posted:

Calista Flockhart gets her hands on some super-powered wrinkle cream that makes her skin tough as stone and becomes the show's Lex Luthor. :haw:
Ha, appropriate Catwoman reference. I really hope the Supergirl people take a lesson from how Catwoman crashed and burned.

Like, apart from Catwoman giving absolutely zero fucks regarding the source material, it was a such painfully obvious and cliched attempt to pander to a female audience based on what an alien would believe women were after watching nothing but early '90s sitcoms, Galaxy Quest-style. Catwoman gets a makeover! Catwoman has GurlTalk with a Sassy Less-Attractive Friend! Catwoman steals diamonds because Gurls Love Diamonds! Girls like make-up, right? The villainess works at a make up company only it makes EVIL MAKE UP and needs to be STOPPED!

I just hope they make the show about how she's awesome and interesting and brave and less about how "SHE'S A SUPERHERO .... WHO'S ALSO A GIRL?! HOW WILL SHE MANAGE BOTH!" Like, her "being a girl" shouldn't be the unique pitch of this show (like how "Mysteries of Laura" is "she's a detective.... and a MOM?! WITCHCRAFT!").

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Supergirl was okay at the first half, the second half felt...ehhh. You know that Brooks playing Olsen is going to get some people riled up, which is hilarious. It's also hilarious to assume Superman was a superdick this Olson. Spank Spank.

Super surprised CSI was canceled. Like, if there's any show I expect to be infinitely renewed on CBS that is not a Chuck Lorre show, it's that one.

Finally, AfH looks...good. Like, surprisingly so. From the title I was rolling my eyes, but I love Lynch and Lawson, so I'm giving it a shot.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

JohnSherman posted:

Did he even appear on screen with the main character during the trailer? It looks like the kind of role Cooper could shoot practically anywhere, and I'm sure he'll be making most people's annual salaries for half a day's work.

He's a producer, and I'm guessing it's his production company making the show, so I would say that most likely he is making almost no money from appearing in this.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't like that the first episode of Supergirl is going to end with her getting a cheesy pep talk from her sister about how she really is strong enough to beat the alien. I know cheesy pep talks are part and parcel of hero stories, but they normally don't need them in the first episode that I recall. It seems more like something meant to reinforce that yes, girls can be strong too, which should be more told through action than cheesy pep talks.

I'm also not fond of the "S" shield being a clan symbol, but that's not something I can really pin on the show I suppose. I preferred it being something Martha stitched up herself to help ensure people saw Clark as a symbol of hope, rather than an alien to fear. It's a more emotive connection I think. Was that only one of the cartoons that did that or what?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

AnimeJune posted:

Like, apart from Catwoman giving absolutely zero fucks regarding the source material

I actually thought the alternate origin stuff had potential, in a better movie about a not-Catwoman cat-themed character that didn't involve evil skin care companies as the antagonist. Being an avatar of Bast would make for a cool superhero if done right.

(Catwoman was not done right)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Didn't the evil villain in the Wonder Woman pilot also have a plan pretty similar to Sharon Stone's in Catwoman?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gyges posted:

Didn't the evil villain in the Wonder Woman pilot also have a plan pretty similar to Sharon Stone's in Catwoman?

I think Liz Hurley was selling evil protein supplements, not evil moisturiser.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Rarity posted:

Hopefully the Dean Cain casting means Supergirl takes place in the Lois and Clark universe

Maybe it takes place in the Smallville universe and this is the third Jimmy Olsen.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Deadpool posted:

I never saw the movie but apparently his character is a Senator and is running for President and is still on the drug.

Limitless was rad because for once it was a sci-fi movie that wasn't about mankind's reach exceeding its grasp and being punished for playing god, it was about how a pill that makes you smarter is actually really loving awesome. At the end of the movie he was still on the drug because he had basically become so smart that he was not only able to synthesize the drug himself but improve on it to remove the negative side effects.

Aphrodite posted:

I may be remembering wrong, but I think it's the idiot dealer character who says that and someone else says it's bullshit.

Yeah, but who cares when you can totally show off how smart you are by loudly proclaiming that a movie trailer was factually incorrect? God help us all if they use the word "decimate" or don't practice trigger discipline...

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Gaz-L posted:

I think Liz Hurley was selling evil protein supplements, not evil moisturiser.
WOMEN AM I RIGHT.

SO MANY PRODUCTS AND LOTIONS. WHAT IF THEY WERE EEEEVIL?

It makes me want to write an Arrow storyline centred around tainted (or more tainted than usual) Axe Body Spray.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

AnimeJune posted:

WOMEN AM I RIGHT.

SO MANY PRODUCTS AND LOTIONS. WHAT IF THEY WERE EEEEVIL?

It makes me want to write an Arrow storyline centred around tainted (or more tainted than usual) Axe Body Spray.

Only if Ollie gains superpowers by chewing Stride Gum in order to fix the situation.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010
Angel from Hell looks awful.

Jane Lynch was tiring on Glee and that just seems like more of the same.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ither posted:

Angel from Hell looks awful.

Jane Lynch was tiring on Glee and that just seems like more of the same.

I have to imagine that they'd tone her down after the pilot. Also Maggie Lawson deserves some success as she's completely adorable (and funny.)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Spatula City posted:

Supergirl looks great. Upfront trailers are always kind of terrible. but I like the tone, and the most important thing of all: Melissa Benoist is super-charismatic.

I had to look her up on the IMDB. Turns out I had seen her before in episode #102 of Homeland. She was one of the women "auditioning" to be part of a Saudi prince's bevy of beauties.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm guessing Supergirl is not related to Man Of Steel because Man Of Steel had Superman basically destroying a city fighting a guy and then getting rid of (killing) the only dude who seemed powerful enough to stop him. The climatic battle didn't seem very, uh, heroic. And the upcoming movie seems to at least understand that, with people seeing Superman as some sort of godlike vengeance figure to be afraid of.

Honestly, Man Of Steel is a crappy Superman movie and gets almost all of it's personality characterizations wrong. It basically goes off the rails with Jonathan Kent telling Clark that he should have let a bunch of kids drown to protect his identity because humans are assholes, and then it goes on to build a dark universe that desires to prove him right. gently caress you, Zack Snyder.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Craptacular! posted:

I'm guessing Supergirl is not related to Man Of Steel because Man Of Steel had Superman basically destroying a city fighting a guy and then getting rid of (killing) the only dude who seemed powerful enough to stop him. The climatic battle didn't seem very, uh, heroic. And the upcoming movie seems to at least understand that, with people seeing Superman as some sort of godlike vengeance figure to be afraid of.

Honestly, Man Of Steel is a crappy Superman movie and gets almost all of it's personality characterizations wrong. It basically goes off the rails with Jonathan Kent telling Clark that he should have let a bunch of kids drown to protect his identity because humans are assholes, and then it goes on to build a dark universe that desires to prove him right. gently caress you, Zack Snyder.

Nope.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Do not discuss Man of Steel in this thread.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Am I the only one who cringed while watching the Supergirl trailer?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gamesguy posted:

Am I the only one who cringed while watching the Supergirl trailer?

Nope. Judging by the reactions I've seen in several places you're very much not alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like Supergirl has the potential to be really really good or really really terrible. If they try and make it feel like the show that the trailer makes it out to be, it could be very embarrassing, but if they let it feel more like Flash and give it a heart without making it "oh look a woman who is a superhero how radical" and make it feel like Touched by an Angel(ic Kryptonian), I think Benoist is up to the task of carrying it.

• Locked thread