Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

I thought it was awful except for the effects being good, they sure as hell went with "Let's fit every goddamn plot device we possibly can into one single pilot". The actress is good, everyone else is terrible.

They need to just murder Superman in the next few episodes and be like "Welp, she's it" . Cause even having him in the world makes the show terrible in so many ways.

Also the main plot Oh you want to keep aliens a secret? So the guy who gave the interview saying he's a alien, and oh probably been fighting aliens for like 10 years, that's not a clue to everyone on earth that aliens exist. Also, when did her sister get recruited again? Why do they have such a strong sisterly bond cause uh... her sister just saw Superman drop off a orphan to their house, and then oh she is also recruited by a organization that keeps aliens secret. What the gently caress hoop jumping is that. Good to know that she can get taken out with some darts at any moment. Also, apparently Superman is totally cool with his cousin being kidnapped

Sisters are sisters, man. Growing up with someone for years will probably either make them like you or make them hate you, so they went with all the stuff that makes you like a person. Do you really need a goddamned montage of sisterly moments like them eating ice cream together or dating boys in order to figure out they grew up liking each other?

The MAIN villain I don't get...it looked exactly like her mom? - is that her mom's twin sister?...like...that's just all sorts of dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Rocksicles posted:

Twin sister i can deal with, makes for a interesting meeting

Next person who types, "are they making her Zod?" is clearly a loving idiot.

For just one brief moment, one shiny glittering half-instant, while they were panning up from the villain's butt, I was hoping that it would have been Faora as the big bad.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Aliens threatening to destroy a city, and then eventually take over the world?

What, that's not a thing Kal-El helps with?

What?

Otherwise, I really hope it doesn't cross over into the Flash/CW universe.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Obscurity posted:

The giant "Where the gently caress is Super-Man?" plot hole mess is turning me off and I haven't even watched the pilot yet. Hopefully the show explains why he isn't there, but from what you guys are all saying it sounds like they can't even try.

It's not a plot hole. People complaining about that poo poo seriously are loving spergs of the highest order.

It's a show called Supergirl. About Supergirl, not Superman. it'd be cool, narratively, to have him visit or whatever, but Jimmy seems to be the Superman mouthpiece they're using, so whatever.

Now, I think the MAIN plot is kinda weird that way, but not having superman in a supergirl show isn't an issue. It's all okay, though, and not having Superman in the show shouldn't be a factor about whether you watch the show or not.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Gyges posted:

More important that Superman, they've got Comet, right? I boycott the gently caress out of any Supergirl property that doesn't include Comet.

Comic Supergirl originally had a pet cat, Streaky - mutated by a rare form of Kryptonite.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

xeria posted:

I'm gathering that the complaints are less "baww why isn't Superman just hanging out" and more "if there are serious threats to the entire world and Superman definitely exists in this universe because everyone keeps obliquely referring to him, why wouldn't he be on tap to save said world?"

Mind, I haven't watched the pilot yet, but it sounds like might be some of the same stuff that people ask about all the various single-Avenger-focused movies (eg. people asking why Tony Stark, or Hawkeye or some poo poo, doesn't show up to help Cap when SHIELD goes pear-shaped).
You're absolutely right.

It's the same way Agents of Shield is in the Marvel Universe but won't ever have anyone or anything from the movies. Were there complaints about that for that show?

It's a fun show. It has a very RomCom-y movie feel even though it's not a romcom.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

I don't see that having superman cameo would add any betterment to whatever plot they have for Supergirl.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Khanstant posted:

I feel like this episode is bad enough "the cousin" critiques needn't even be brought out. Also, I like that Jimmy is black, but hate that he isn't a massive dweeb. Ally McBeal could also no be on the show, man, I forgot how nice it was for her to not be on TV where you never have o see her uncomfortable face.

Also, plothole eyebrows. How did her eyebrows get so light and thin as she aged, huh? Must be a Krypton thing.

...Irish Joe?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

Chyler Leigh is like a foot taller than Gillian Anderson so

People will complain about anything if they decide beforehand they want to complain.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Supergirl canceled; Powergirl to premiere.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

TyrantWD posted:

How does an executive assistant afford to have a bottle of Blue Label lying around, and live in a gigantic apartment?

I'm assuming her stepparents are rich as gently caress, somehow. But yeah, that's easily a $3000+/mo apartment.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

JT Smiley posted:

Also the silliest moment of the pilot might have been Kara's sister giving her poo poo for saving the plane. As if her living in secret was far more important than the lives of the hundred or so people on the plane and those caught in the wake of the crash.

I think she was upset that Kara just stood there in teh spotlight and let herself be photographed.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

It's the second. The other one even has Agent in the title.

Agent Carter worth watching? I couldn't stand Agents of Shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Gyges posted:

It doesn't fit at all. Pa Kent is distrustful of how the world will react to his boy and wants to protect him. Thus he always wants him to keep a low profile, and in the scene after the bus is mentally fighting with himself over what the right thing to do would have been. Everything is different when you're talking about the 24 year old cousin of the guy who has already been Supermaning around for more than a decade when she finally uses her powers.

Plus Pa Kent wasn't being a dick about Clark using his powers in their conversation, unlike Kara's sister. Also Pa Kent didn't essentially question why, unlike the sister who was sitting on the crashing plane full of hundreds of other people.

Well, to be fair, Kara's human sister knew that there was a prison full of aliens who had been sentenced to prison by Kara's real mom. She was probably doing all she could to keep that information fro Kara once she joined the spec ops group.

• Locked thread