Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
After watching it again the only things I really don't like about Supergirl is the stupid "girl" speech by a 50 year old woman, which is just off putting and that they gave Kara a typical Rom-Com female lead job. Surely there could have been many, many other jobs that would work better than that? Barry Allen get's to pretend to be a CSI, Clark Kent is a reporter, Oliver Queen is a Millionaire/Assassin CEO/Hobo, Constantine a PI, Daredevil a lawyer, Laurel Lance a DA. She's the harried but of course wonderful assistant to the The Devil Wears Prada woman. On the other hand, judging by all the smartphone work life game geared to women that's what a large subset of young women really dreams of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Narcissus1916 posted:

Is Supergirl actually his cousin? Ugh. I always thought that takes away from Superman's unique status.

My favorite take on the character was in the superman animated series where she was from a neighboring sister planet of Krypton, spent some time in Kansas, and eventually was a huge part of the Justice League. That's how you do the character right.

But the idea of any version being the "right" one is kinda laughable, since her origin switches up almost as much as power girl.

The Nu52-origin is her being his cousin and former baby sitter, whose ship orbited the sun for about a decade instead crashing the same time as his. Seems pretty much the same except replace sun with Phantom Zone

I liked it quite a bit. Turn down the stilted MRA/Grrl power monologues - or simply write them better, invent a reason why Superman didn't deal with the villains and make the government org look like it has more than three people in it.

Decius fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 23, 2015

• Locked thread