Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I think it's possible for some of them to be saved... by suggesting good anime to them

for instance, while not strictly anime, many people can enjoy the music of Vocaloid characters like Hatsune Miku

http://a.pomf.se/zkjrtg.webm

.jpg fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

dotJPG posted:

I think it's possible for some of them to be saved... by suggesting good anime to them

for instance, while not strictly anime, many people can enjoy the music of Vocaloid characters like Hatsune Miku

http://a.pomf.se/zkjrtg.webm

Good suggestion, but it's best to refer to her as Miku Hatsune for western neurotypicals.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Cowboy Bebop
Fate/Zero
Madoka Magica
Baccano!
Serial Experiments Lain
Escaflowne
Inferno Cop

My goto list for non-Otaku dorks.

/serious post

uhhh

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Look up what thye used to show on adult swim in 2005, hope this helps.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I've probably had the most success with Madoka. Its a really good show even if you don't get the "magic girl deconstructionist" angle.

Dorks be dorks. Most are aware of Sailor Moon if nothing else, so they get the basis.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I think you might've forgotten that everyone loves Madoka Magica and when it came out there was a shitton of people going like, "So I never watch anime but my friend showed me Madoka Magica and this stuff's really good."

Something Awful is seriously its own microcosm of the world.

I imagine F/Z is also a good suggestion because most non-anime-dorks haven't even heard of type/moon so they don't have a random aversion to it, and just see the cool battles and stuff and go "this is cool."

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
F/Z has none of the conventional anime stylings so it's perfect for people who would :yikes: away from what weebs would take for granted.

Psycho Pass 1 and Ghost in the Shell are the same way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I've probably had the most success with Madoka. Its a really good show even if you don't get the "magic girl deconstructionist" angle.
hard to get something that doesnt exist

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GitS works unless the first episode your friend happens to see is the one where Major meets the kid who's dealing drugs to get a prosthetic body.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Dorks be dorks. Most are aware of Sailor Moon if nothing else, so they get the basis.

Madoka is not a deconstruction hth

E:

quote:

jonjonaug
Madoka Magica is the best TV anime I've ever seen. Urobuchi's excellent writing, Kajiura's excellent soundtrack, Shaft's clever animation style and direction, and Gekidan Inu Curry's crazy monster designs combine to create an utterly fantastic show. The pacing in this series is some of the best I've ever seen, the show is a roller coaster ride from beginning to end. There is not one single superfluous scene in the entire series and poo poo is always getting realer. So much happens so fast in every episode that it will feel like 25 minutes pass by in the blink of an eye every time, and every episode develops the characters and plot in some substantial manner. I loved the show from the very first scene, but I know that a lot of people have trouble with it early on. All I can stay is stick with it until the end of episode 3, that's when things start to really get going.

blastron
Saying that Puella Magia: Madoka Magica is a show about magical girls is like saying Evangelion is a show about mecha: technically true, but missing the point entirely. Urobuchi's fantastic writing coupled with Shinbo's superb direction creates a wild tale about what might really happen when middle school girls are made to fight reality-warping evils. The plot twists and turns with every episode, leaving viewers with as many questions as answers, and the sheer amount of attention to detail lets speculation about every aspect of the show abound. Supported by Yuki Kajiura's spectacular sountrack, Ume Aoki's unique character designs, and some of the best animation SHAFT has put out to date, this show is an absolute must-see, regardless of your thoughts on the magical girl genre.

jimbobdole
This a rare series where the hype matches the product. Don't be fooled by the troll OP. If you search for moe, you will only find suffering. The sharp writing, fantastic music, and trippy visuals will make it worth your while.

Redcrimson
People will tell you to watch this show because it's a "z0mg dark subvershun" of Magical Girl anime, and technically they're entirely correct.
But Madoka Magica's real strength lies not in what kind of show it is, but rather just how well made the entire thing is. Regardless of any other factors, Madoka Magica is a beautiful, engaging, intelligent, and finely-tuned storytelling machine. Every frame, every line of dialogue, every track on the OST, and every grim revelation is perfectly planned and flawlessly executed. Absolutely flooring visuals from Shaft, adept direction by Akiyuki Shinbo, and a masterfully written story from Gen Urobuchi drive this remarkable twist on one of anime's most beloved genres.

Relambrien
Easily one of the top five anime I've ever seen. Gen Urobuchi's fantastic writing combined with Shaft's unique take on art direction come together to produce a landmark series that is unlikely to fade from memory any time soon. At only twelve episodes, it's a very low time investment to watch, and worth absolutely every minute. The show's themes pervade every character interaction and every plot twist. Bravo to everyone involved in the making of this absolute masterpiece.

a kitten
A fantastic series that is tightly plotted, thematically consistent, well directed and written. From the first episode where things that seem very familiar have hints of darkness, to the end where all the threads come together to make one of the most satisfying endings I've seen in a while, the whole show is spectacular start to finish. Vaulted its way into one of my very favorite series, or even stories in general.

Robert Denby
Going into this, all I knew was that it was a SHAFT/Shinbo joint (which vary all over the place in terms of quality), and that it was a magical girl show that essentially turned the genre on it's head in a very unsettling way. Even in the very first episode, there's a sense that things aren't what they seem. You have protagonists leading ordinary lives get caught up in something supernatural, the mascot character who grants magical powers, and monsters to fight. But everything seems just a little... off. Maybe it's the evil realm the characters have to enter to fight witches. It looks like the nightmare from Twice Upon a Time, just weird 'cutout' animation and trippy imagery.
The show's writer, Gen Urobuchi, has gained a lot of infamy in a short career for making a lot of unsettling work, and this is no exception. What's different about this show from say, Elfen Lied, is that it wasn't just shocking or disturbing for the hell of it, there was actual payoff -both on a story and dramatic level- as to why the show is difficult to take at points. Early on is a death scene that was extremely shocking. Instead of having the entire thing happen off-screen or go the opposite route and have the character die graphically, the creators of the show went the route the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" went - showing you just enough so that you can get sickened by it, and letting your mind fill in the rest. It's no surprise that early into it's run, Urobuchi apologized for misleading people into thinking this was a normal magical girl show.
As things progress, the characters are fleshed out in interesting ways, and the writing never feels like it's cheating or taking the easy way out when it comes to some difficult-to-pull-off concepts. It's clear that Shinbo and Urobuchi thought this show out really well, both as it's own contained story, and as a take on the whole magical girl genre. It isn't like Evangelion where you could see the point where they went, "Hey, I'm bored with the standard mecha stuff, how 'bout a little fireworks?"
Even with some pacing issues at the start, and a few choppy bits of animation (most of which are cleaned up on the DVD/Blu-Ray release), this is easily the best anime in quite a few years, and very worthy of all the hype and acclaim it's accumulated in such a short time.

jiffypop45
I've watched this show through twice and both times I cried at the end. I have no shame admitting this. The show is that drat good and easily my favorite anime.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm suddenly glad I never wrote a review for ADTRWiki

I wrote one for Giant Robo, back when we still had a stickied review thread instead though.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Giant Robo is good.

Everyone should watch it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

madoka magica is my favorite anime ever made, one of my favorite works of fiction ever made, and completely changed my life for the better.

i hate every single person who likes madoka magica, myself included

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

madoka magica is my favorite anime ever made, one of my favorite works of fiction ever made, and completely changed my life for the better.

*after watching Madoka, climbs to the rooftop and yells* THE NARRATIIIIIIIVE!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Look up what thye used to show on adult swim in 2005, hope this helps.

evangelion, gundam seed, .hack, got it

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Phobophilia posted:

F/Z has none of the conventional anime stylings so it's perfect for people who would :yikes: away from what weebs would take for granted.

Conventional anime stylings, like for example quality.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

same

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

lol drat

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endorph posted:

same but the tatami galaxy, and i love everyone who likes it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
One can always use more love.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

One can always use more love.

i learned this from the tatami galaxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

K. Flaps posted:

I will fight you!

• Locked thread