Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
In the credits there was a person whose job was designing skulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Howdy mad max thread I thought you were dead.

Skull designer was a crucial part of the crew. Did you see all the cool skulls? I liked the skull that you had to smash in order to get the glock hidden inside. Like a legends of the hidden temple puzzle.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Ambrose Burnside posted:

im a traditional metalworker who liked this movie. witness me

i put together a buildlog for this, in the remote chance anygoon wants to learn a thing

http://imgur.com/a/HlmMK

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Nothing. I just really wanna see them.

loving eh. Carry on then and witness them.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Saw it 3 times in theaters & I saw the car showcase at the Sydney Opera House. All that flamethrower guitar and polecat stunts were awesome. The Doof Warrior is played by iOTA, who broke my heart when he did Hedwig & the Angry Inch. I went to a talk the production designer and War Rig designer gave. Most of the stuff they said is in the official art book, like how George Miller wanted a 747 mixed with a tank and for Furiosa to have a giant CGI crab claw. Production designer said he pushed for the low-tech one after seeing a Somali (or whatever) with a prosthetic roach clip. The War Rig was originally gonna be more womb-like with splashing amniotic blood on the sides. I asked why there were so many normal guns instead of the weird weapons from the Road Warrior, they said an SAS guy worked out that someone like Furiosa would have like 3 backup srts of weapons.

I'm not a fan of 'realism' but Fury Road was awesome. See Road Warrior too.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
its a good movie

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

Saw it 3 times in theaters & I saw the car showcase at the Sydney Opera House. All that flamethrower guitar and polecat stunts were awesome. The Doof Warrior is played by iOTA, who broke my heart when he did Hedwig & the Angry Inch. I went to a talk the production designer and War Rig designer gave. Most of the stuff they said is in the official art book, like how George Miller wanted a 747 mixed with a tank and for Furiosa to have a giant CGI crab claw. Production designer said he pushed for the low-tech one after seeing a Somali (or whatever) with a prosthetic roach clip. The War Rig was originally gonna be more womb-like with splashing amniotic blood on the sides. I asked why there were so many normal guns instead of the weird weapons from the Road Warrior, they said an SAS guy worked out that someone like Furiosa would have like 3 backup srts of weapons.

I'm not a fan of 'realism' but Fury Road was awesome. See Road Warrior too.

I'm jealous. That's very cool.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
The best part was seeing it for the 3rd time with my Warhammer-loving little brother, who hadn't seen it. The look on his face when he saw the Doof Wagon...

Btw a real Doof wagon is just a van full of hippies

and the reason the Polecats wore those Borderlands masks was because there were only like 4 acrobats who could actually do those stunts. Same with the motorcyclists - they just got the best BMX riders and stuck masks on them.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 26, 2015

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Count Chocula posted:

The best part was seeing it for the 3rd time with my Warhammer-loving little brother, who hadn't seen it. The look on his face when he saw the Doof Wagon...

Btw a real Doof wagon is just a van full of hippies

and the reason the Polecats wore those Borderlands masks was because there were only like 4 acrobats who could actually do those stunts. Same with the motorcyclists - they just got the best BMX riders and stuck masks on them.
Why did they get BMX riders to ride motorcycles? That is an odd choice.

I wish they did something cool with the awesome Gas Gas.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 26, 2015

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

eSporks posted:

Why did they get BMX riders to ride motorcycles? That is an odd choice.

I'm probably misremembering. Whoever the guys who drive motorcycles are. I'm not much into gearhead stuff but Mad Max made me want to learn to drive. And huff paint.

Turns out huffing paint is a big problem in remote indigenous communities.

Anyone noticed the motorcycle pull chain on Furiosa's arm?

Read a whole bunch of great articles on Nux and toxic masculinity and how it felt to be a disabled woman watching it but I doubt GBS cares & CineD is talking about Chappie for some reason.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

FMX was the acronym you were looking for. BMX is bicycles.

But come on, why wasn't that trial bike shown off more?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUHGRX6AH78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRXJLziPti4

eSporks fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 26, 2015

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

eSporks posted:

FMX was the acronym you were looking for. BMX is bicycles.

But come on, why wasn't that trial bike shown off more?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUHGRX6AH78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRXJLziPti4

:stare:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
The only thing worse than this movie is a thread full of nerds discussing lore

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Count Chocula posted:

I'm probably misremembering. Whoever the guys who drive motorcycles are. I'm not much into gearhead stuff but Mad Max made me want to learn to drive. And huff paint.

Turns out huffing paint is a big problem in remote indigenous communities.

Anyone noticed the motorcycle pull chain on Furiosa's arm?

Read a whole bunch of great articles on Nux and toxic masculinity and how it felt to be a disabled woman watching it but I doubt GBS cares & CineD is talking about Chappie for some reason.

I saw Chappie on an airplane earlier this week, it sucked but goddamn can that dude make robot-mech battles.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The comics turned Nux into a loveable dingus wannabe into a literal "chosen one" who was raised to be the perfect warboy and then somehow that all went to poo poo in the film as he bumbled his way to valhalla.

Ramsus posted:

The only thing worse than this movie is a thread full of nerds discussing lore

Sorry. :(

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Shadeoses posted:

In the credits there was a person whose job was designing skulls.

This is my new dream job, edging out my previous dream job, which was to quit doing computer stuff and take a job at the zoo, jerking off pigs.

FogHelmut posted:

I saw Chappie on an airplane earlier this week, it sucked but goddamn can that dude make robot-mech battles.

The "Should you see Chappie" flowchart is basically "Do you think Die Antwoord rules?" and if you do then see it, otherwise christ do not bother.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Goth birds proper love Die Antwoord now and it just shows them up as the attention seeking lunatics they are.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Chappie looked mighty tender is it actually not good?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

ChogsEnhour posted:

The comics turned Nux into a loveable dingus wannabe into a literal "chosen one" who was raised to be the perfect warboy and then somehow that all went to poo poo in the film as he bumbled his way to valhalla.

Sorry. :(

don't read comics

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Toadvine posted:

Mighty tender? Wtf does that mean? It doesn't look like a chick flick to me.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

notZaar posted:

Mighty tender? Wtf does that mean? It doesn't look like a chick flick to me.

It looked like a movie depicting human outcasts forging a bond with robot outcast. Duh. Even district 9 had emotional moments.

Thanks you've been v unhelpful and obtuse.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Joe dressing up his wives as Warboys when he fucks them, because apparently "all villains are secretly gay" even applies to the evil warlord whose sole motivation is loving his sexy harem ladies all day.

That didn't happen in the comic though. It's not a thing that actually happened, it's an accusation against him made by the wives that's not really true. At no point do we ever see Joe say, "hmm yes dress this wife as a war boy so that I may get a pathetic old man erection because I am secretly gay for my warboys", the wives just say that to piss him off and it's one of the few ways they have of striking back at him. Like when the Dag refers to Max as a "crazy smeg who eats schlanger", we're not supposed to wonder why we never see Max eating schlanger, it's just an insult.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Network Pesci posted:

That didn't happen in the comic though. It's not a thing that actually happened, it's an accusation against him made by the wives that's not really true. At no point do we ever see Joe say, "hmm yes dress this wife as a war boy so that I may get a pathetic old man erection because I am secretly gay for my warboys", the wives just say that to piss him off and it's one of the few ways they have of striking back at him. Like when the Dag refers to Max as a "crazy smeg who eats schlanger", we're not supposed to wonder why we never see Max eating schlanger, it's just an insult.

nope he gay sorry

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
joe plow mad manass

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Network Pesci posted:

we're not supposed to wonder why we never see Max eating schlanger,
I did. Waste of v pretty lips imo

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It would make sense for Joe to be gay, he is pretty strange and villainous.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Toadvine posted:

It's like Die Antwoord convinced Blomkamp to remake District 9 but with robots and starring them the whole time. It poorly explores themes already better discussed in Short Circuit and Robocop.

Furthermore it lacks references to guzzoline.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I know this is confusing because they both speak funny English and hate the native population, but Australians and South Africans are different nations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

notZaar posted:

I know this is confusing because they both speak funny English and hate the native population, but Australians and South Africans are different nations.

Yeah but Hugh Jackman was in it and clearly playing himself in his native Australian wardrobe/haircut.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

You can't just leave us hanging like that. What can my small business learn from Mad Max?

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

quakster posted:

good thing he left that out of the movie, then

He co-wrote it with two others, one of whom also wrote for the movie. It's hard to tell what ideas belong to who.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

Know what people like (and give it to them)
This is not rocket science, but you’ll be surprised how many businesses are not paying attention to what their customers want. Or worse, business owners are paying attention but aren’t doing anything about it. If you know what your target audience desires and needs, you need to find a way to answer this. In the case of Mad Max, this is car chases, jaw-dropping stunts, explosions and some bad-rear end independent women.
Build a team that fits your profile
Nobody goes to see Mad Max for its amazing character development, but it’s fair to say that the characters do hold up the Mad Max franchise: the ruggedly handsome Tom Hardy is well-cast as Max (though we do miss Mel Gibson) and a one-armed Charlize Theron is the perfect Furiosa. Look out for the parade of Aussie faces too…Megan gale, John Howard, Angus Sampson, Abbey Lees, Richard Carter and original Mad Maxer, Hugh Keays-Byrne, to name but a few.
Every person in your team represents and personifies your brand. So you need to consider whether their appearance, the way they speak and their manner convey the same message as your business. This doesn’t mean you need to hire clones of yourself – but should always hire people with the right attitude and behaviour in line with your brand and how things work in your business.
Offer something new and different whilst staying true to your core
Creating the fourth instalment of any movie franchise is a tough gig, but the creators of Mad Max had a particularly mammoth challenge. How could they possible add even more excitement to the trilogy that first captured our hearts in 1980? They achieve it by mining everything that we love about the Mad Max legacy and creating something that’s both familiar yet triumphantly new.
Take the time and energy to define your brand’s core values. This means figuring out what makes you different from your competition too. In everything you do, stay true to your core and don’t try to be something you’re not (Fury Road is a Mad Max film through and through). That way, even as you launch new products and services, you will maintain a strong, consistent brand.
Make everything look good
Fury Road delivers some of the most meticulously, gloriously staged and photographed scenes. Seriously, the apocalypse has never looked so good. And while you probably (!) don’t have the luxury of Miller’s budget, there are ways to ensure your brand looks good. Think about every place where consumers will get their first impression of your brand – a letterbox flyer, brochure or your website – and invest in professional design to make these elements really stand out. Check out our flyer design guide for more advice.
Now in the words of Goose, “You’ve seen it. You’ve heard it. And you’re still asking questions?”

They also have guides for Game of Thrones ('simplify your message' ) and The Avengers

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

quakster posted:

joe plow mad manass

From the gay marriage thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica