Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckboat
May 15, 2012

In 2004, the federal Assault Weapons Ban expired. However, some states decided to keep that legislation, or even stricter laws () on the books. And yet, there are still those who pursue the fine hobby of shooting in those locations.This is the thread for those people.

So, welcome CA, MA, NJ, NY, CT, and MD, and also DC! Discuss your favorite ways of keeping ban compliant, good FFL's and ranges, and where to rent the cheapest U-Hauls!

You can bring up recent law changes, but please DO NOT GET WICKED POLITICAL IN THIS THREAD. This is about how to keep enjoying this hobby in the face of restrictions.

Hopefully this can also be a place to ask questions; for example if anyone has any questions about MA gun laws, I will answer them to the best of my abilities, and I welcome residents of other states to do the same.

And remember, at least we aren't

Duckboat fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Black Lives Matter

You should add in a section on how to find good jobs in Free States.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

Numlock posted:

If i knew that, I'd be posting from one!

ScrubbingBubbles
Feb 11, 2009

Happy to help out with questions about MA laws, esp wrt Boston and the surrounding cities/towns.

Edit: Fun Fact: I hear a *whole* lot more gunshots in the South End/Back Bay area at night than I ever did in Maine, so it would seem we're in need of some stricter laws!

ScrubbingBubbles fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 14, 2015

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

MD's awb is pants on head retarded, and I hope Larry Hogan kicks that poo poo in the balls.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

ScrubbingBubbles posted:

Happy to help out with questions about MA laws, esp wrt Boston and the surrounding cities/towns.

Nice! I'm from the Merrimack Valley area but will probably be moving to the North Shore.

Still gotta do the shooting test in Boston?

E: I thought the Back Bay was supposed to be nice?

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

Mad Dragon posted:

MD's awb is pants on head retarded, and I hope Larry Hogan kicks that poo poo in the balls.

Can't you guys own regular capacity mags as long as you buy them out of state?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Duckboat posted:

Can't you guys own regular capacity mags as long as you buy them out of state?
Yes, which is one of many reasons the ban is dumb. We can also buy "HBAR" AR15s cash and carry, since they were never restricted. Stripped receivers are still legal, as long as they are built into an HBAR or pistol configuration. A lot of previously restricted rifles are now completely banned.

MazelTovCocktail
Jun 23, 2012

Gritty's gonna cut you.

Mad Dragon posted:

Yes, which is one of many reasons the ban is dumb. We can also buy "HBAR" AR15s cash and carry, since they were never restricted. Stripped receivers are still legal, as long as they are built into an HBAR or pistol configuration. A lot of previously restricted rifles are now completely banned.

Wait they never changed the you can buy mags out of state thing?

Also is there a lot of leeway on what makes an HBAR and also can you still make an SBR?

Hey on the plus side Hogan did sign a bill removing the spent bullet database!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

NJ resident reporting in. We still have a AWB but it's pretty much pointless. Our mag limit is 15 with no grandfathering. We can't have specifically named assault weapons or flash suppressors or folding stocks.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

gfanikf posted:

Wait they never changed the you can buy mags out of state thing?
The only change was going from 20 rounds to 10 rounds.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

Yuns, Still better than MA, I think. Exact mirror of the old federal ban. But we do get pre-ban mags, which are now old enough to drink

Call it a wash?

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Speaking of which, what is the status of barrel shrouds in these east coast bans?

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Duckboat posted:

If i knew that, I'd be posting from one!

Just type Bakken Shale or Bakken Jobs into your search engine.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Servicio en Espanol posted:

Speaking of which, what is the status of barrel shrouds in these east coast bans?

My understanding, feel free to correct me if I'm off base:

In MA, flash suppressors are not allowed (though a brake is, as long as it doesn't ADVERTISE a flash suppressing purpose). Actual suppressors are explicitly banned in state as well, outside the NFA. Assuming the "shroud" extends over the barrel beyond the muzzle, I'd guess it falls into one of those categories. If you just mean a heat dissipating shroud, I can't think of why that'd be a problem.

EDIT: by definition I guess shrouds extend beyond the actual muzzle. I could see the state going after you for that as a flash suppressor. This is a state where we prevent ammo from being shipped to gun owners without there being an actual law against it by having the DA send out "We will sue you into oblivion" letters.

That having been said, the last time I went to the range a dude straight up used 30 round Pmags he bought in NH without giving any fucks, so YMMV in terms of actually being caught/prosecuted. I sure wouldn't do it.

George RR Fartin fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 15, 2015

Jetrock
Jul 26, 2005

This is the tower of murder... it's where I hang out!

When the California AW ban was imminent (AB 23 I think) I bought a Chinese AK thumb-hole stock with the plan of cutting off the thumbhole/pistol-grip portion, turning it into a sort of "sporter" stock for my Romanian AK clone (or a sort of bubba'd Saiga) but shortly after I did the hacksaw surgery I found out they also added my model of rifle specifically to the ban by model name, making my woodshop efforts to get around AW registration useless. In retrospect I suppose it was better to register the rifle than such an embarrassing getup for my WUM-1.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

I also like making a decent salary here in NY so in exchange for lucre I don't buy the stock/pistol grip abortions that are available, or pinned/welded magazines.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Free stater postin' here just to give you the jellies.

Duckboat posted:

And remember, at least we aren't

I heard Canadians are actually grateful they don't have to go through NJ's licensing process!

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

I also like making a decent salary here in NY so in exchange for lucre I don't buy the stock/pistol grip abortions that are available, or pinned/welded magazines.

Ares SCR?

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

I like revolvers and muskets so I guess I'm mostly in the clear here (gently caress you very much, no internet ammo sales), but Vermont or New Hampshire are looking kinda nice.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

Seriously, I think the de facto internet ammo ban is the most annoying part of MA gun laws.

I'm thinking about an Ares SCR, I'm thinking the lack of a pistol grip means I won't have to worry about the muzzle device. Anyone else's thoughts?

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

Before I bailed out of Connecticut the plan was to get into SASS and start shooting Vaqueros and an 1894, or to liquidate my 9mm handguns and invest in a quality 1911.

To ban state goons: how does capacity restriction change your handgun selection? If at all?

I was interested in 1911s because of the trigger specifically, not the cartridge, so this isn't meant to be a caliber war thing.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kennebago posted:

...this isn't meant to be a caliber war thing.

I pack a 357 Sig, 40, or 45 over a 9mm in a godamned heartbeat if I lived in a ban state. Particularly if mail order ammo was a no-go to make the cost difference less obvious at local prices.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

New York here, specifically Westchester County. Yay.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

I bailed outta CT and am so happy I did. Makes the 15rd mag limit in CO look super reasonable.

It's too bad, before Newtown CT actually had semi reasonable gun laws (for New England). Now they're only vaguely better than NY, MA and NJ.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Kennebago posted:

To ban state goons: how does capacity restriction change your handgun selection? If at all?
The HQL requirements have more of an impact on my desire to not purchase any new handguns than the magazine restrictions.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Duckboat posted:

Nice! I'm from the Merrimack Valley area but will probably be moving to the North Shore.

Still gotta do the shooting test in Boston?

E: I thought the Back Bay was supposed to be nice?

I grew up in Salem so you should move there, then move somewhere else where you can actually have fun poo poo, like Chicago!

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

Being almost exclusively interested in older rifles, the NY SAFE act didn't affect me too much, but I still can't think about the law itself and how it came too be w/o my blood pressure going up like a rocket.

The only thing I really kick myself for is not getting a couple-few AR lowers, because if I had registered them then I'd be able to put whatever the hell I wanted on them (aside from mags over 10 rounds of course) - something that couldn't have been done under the earlier AWB. This loving law, man.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

I heard Canadians are actually grateful they don't have to go through NJ's licensing process!

Yeah, and at least we get to avoid magazine restrictions on .22LR rifles (and can own unbastardized AR-15s). 100 round 10/22 drum? drat right.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

Butch Cassidy posted:

I pack a 357 Sig, 40, or 45 over a 9mm in a godamned heartbeat if I lived in a ban state. Particularly if mail order ammo was a no-go to make the cost difference less obvious at local prices.

Yeah if I could only have 7 or 10 rounds they would be the biggest motherfuckers I could find.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'd carry a .45 if only so I could use magazines that have been engineered to carry a magazine that was designed to carry 10 or fewer rounds. That said, 9mm is still cheaper locally (Fleet Farm sells a case of 9mm for 260, a case of .45 for almost 400) and still easier to manage. I'd look hard at 9mms that are built around a 10rd capacity (9mm 1911, SIG P239, etc) or if not probably a M&P40c or M&P45/45c.The advantage of the bigger bullet certainly becomes more relevant once you're limited by capacity, but that doesn't mean the other advantages of a 9mm aren't still there.

ScrubbingBubbles
Feb 11, 2009

bidikyoopi posted:

I grew up in Salem so you should move there, then move somewhere else where you can actually have fun poo poo, like Chicago!

I actually lived in a few of the surrounding towns (Winchester MA, represent), and they were fine and the local PD were pretty friendly and accommodating. Not so with Boston.
Afaik, the shooting test is still a thing, and pretty much any interaction with BPD that involves you disclosing that you have an LTC (card, much less an actual firearm on your person at that very moment) is going to be a headache. While I suppose the reason for this is understandable (they deal with a lot of gun-related crime pretty much all over the city and everyone here is abrasive and confrontational as hell), it's still a pain in the nuts. I mostly carry an ASP Key Defender day to day and that's been enough so far. HD options in Boston are also a bit different, but a standard 12ga pump is still kosher, though I'd forgo any tactical type accessories if possible as the DA would probably throw the book at you in the event you ever had to use it.

On the bright side, I hear Tazers are possibly going to be legalized in MA soon, so I guess there's that.

P.S. Out in the burbs pre-ban stuff is pretty much ok in the eyes of local LE and is relatively easy to find and not terribly expensive - I had a bunch of neat old pre-ban ARs and such before I moved in to Boston proper and shot regularly with the (mostly crazy, old) dudes at MRA in Woburn and it was the bee's knees

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Numlock posted:

I don't know about other states, but Texas is full.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Craptacular posted:

I don't know about other states, but Texas is full.

Honestly I think I am going to have to find Republicans that I can stand to vote for in Colorado because everything about that state is awesome except for the influx of jobless californian 20-somethings who helped vote for the current state legislature.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

Kommienzuspadt posted:

The advantage of the bigger bullet certainly becomes more relevant once you're limited by capacity, but that doesn't mean the other advantages of a 9mm aren't still there.

My personal conclusion was that the advantages of 9mm became more pronounced in a reduced-capacity environment.

My thinking was roughly this: if I could only carry 10 rounds (or 10+1, or whatever), I needed to do everything in my power to make sure I got a first round hit with a 9mm/.40 S&W/.45 Auto/.38 Spl/.357 Mag type cartridge. And then to keep getting hits, because each non-vital hit (or miss) would by nature hurt me more with a 10-round mag than a 15-round mag, especially if I had more than one assailant.

So, beyond having a cartridge that was "good enough" I figured my top needs were practical accuracy in terms of recoil and trigger, and frequency of practice.

By the time I was U-Hauling it, I was trying to get educated enough to decide between a 1911 in .45 Auto and a 1911 in 9mm because I wanted the trigger for that first round hit. My opinion has changed since I started getting a better feel for Glock triggers but at the time I was dead set on that platform and trying to figure out if 9mm builds were less reliable than .45 Auto builds from a good source (SACS was my top choice, this was before I'd read Todd Greene's experience with his SACS build so I felt like I was in loony uncharted territory), and if that justified the expense and increased recoil of the traditonal cartridge.

Reading it over some of that sounds goofy but it was my thinking at the time.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

With a mag restriction in place, I'd say let your freak flag fly. .414 Supermag, .357/44, 8mm Gasser, embrace the ridiculous law and be the beautiful butterfly you always knew you could be.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

College Slice

I live in and operate a home based FFL in Texas. As a result I go to a lot of gun auctions in Texas in order to buy product below wholesale price. Well, one such auction is happening in a few days and has a CA compliant Tavor SAR up for bit. I figure I could get it on the cheap and convert it to something with an actual market value in Texas.

That being said, how hard is it to convert a CA compliant Tavor SAR to something that would sell in Texas?

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

Two Feet From Bread posted:

I live in and operate a home based FFL in Texas. As a result I go to a lot of gun auctions in Texas in order to buy product below wholesale price. Well, one such auction is happening in a few days and has a CA compliant Tavor SAR up for bit. I figure I could get it on the cheap and convert it to something with an actual market value in Texas.

That being said, how hard is it to convert a CA compliant Tavor SAR to something that would sell in Texas?

My guess would be remove the bullet button and you should be good, but someone more knowledgeable should chime in.

Also, anyone else in MA should seriously consider joining GOAL, the Gun Owners Action League. It seems more apolitical than the NRA, if that is an issue for you, and they seem to do some good awareness-spreading and lobbying in state.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Two Feet From Bread posted:

If there is a muzzle break/flashhider it might be welded on. Other than that the bullet button needs to be removed.

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 18, 2015

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

College Slice

Thank you both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

oh and may need to just cut the barrel length down. Maybe but I know little of the Tavor

• Locked thread