Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...

Craptacular posted:

I don't know about other states, but Texas is full.

Louisiana isn't hard to get to, being able to read puts you head and shoulders over most of the people here in terms of jobseeking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loserslug
Mar 8, 2008

If it has a bullet button, then it can have all the other evil features. You will need to replace the mag with a 30 round mag and the bullet button. It will probably have a flash hider on it already and California has the same barrel length requirements as federal regulations. You won't need to trim it.

Our laws suck but it isn't as totally different as most people seem to think. We just have an actively hostile government made up of incumbents that don't fear elections and a possibly corrupt judiciary branch that gets paid by the month, apparently.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Connecticut was a dumb and horrible place to live.

Colorado is a nice and fun place to live

I will be honest though, 23 years in Connecticut leave me still stunned to see open violation of state gat laws like having "magazine repair kits" openly sold at the gunstores.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

CA has the same barrel length requirement of 16" as the rest of the USA, however it has a different OAL requirement.
Fed is 26" and CA is 30".

Yes, all you need to make a Tavor CA legal is the BB and extended flash hider, but thats when converting a standard model. Often times manufacturers will go above and beyond what is strictly required, just to play it safe.
Also, since you are a dealer i would suggest you check current Tavor pricing. They just dropped another $50 or so NIB.
Unless you can get the thing for around $1k, i do not think modding a CA version to banfree would be much worth your while.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

DeesGrandpa posted:

I will be honest though, 23 years in Connecticut leave me still stunned to see open violation of state gat laws like having "magazine repair kits" openly sold at the gunstores.

Can you order replacement mag springs for std cap magazines online? I have a bunch of G17 mags i will be bringing with me that probably need new springs.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Yep, you can buy springs. And shops here still sell all variety of mags, even poo poo not out before the ban. It's wacky.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

DeesGrandpa posted:

Yep, you can buy springs. And shops here still sell all variety of mags, even poo poo not out before the ban. It's wacky.

Awesome. Are they reasonably priced?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Generally yeah, and if you buy from private sellers (not that I would violate any state laws mind you) for anything common you won't even see a price difference.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Marylander checking in

There's a fun bit that applies to SBR's in MD's new laws, any semiautomatic centerfire rifle still has to be over 29" OAL, so our SBR's are still not very short

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

I'm just going to recommend froward's thread here for anyone interested in any meetups.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Another CT goon checking in and like all the other ones that have posted in this thread I'm leaving. Not just because of gun laws, I got a job in Maine and I'm going to live in New Hampshire. Although while applying for jobs out of state they sure as hell weren't in NY, NJ, MA, MD or any places like that.

Before 4/4/13 our laws were bearable. Stupid AWB that only limited features and a few specific models, no mag limit, no restrictions on buying ammo/mags online. NFA stuff including machine guns (must be full auto only) are still cool as long as they follow all other laws. Pistol permits are relatively easy to get but a bit expensive. Technically shall-issue but some towns ignore the law and make it a pain in the rear end.

Luckily before 1160 passed I had one complete AR, two lowers, a shitload of 10+ rd mags, and a FAL I bought a few days before the law passed. As I mentioned in the photo thread I really want a Tavor after I move to NH.

DeesGrandpa posted:

It has great pizza and uhhhhh....

I want to visit Colorado again now that I can really appreciate it, I was 8 the last time I was there.

PsychoBilly Caddy
Dec 2, 2005
You might say I picked it up at the factory. It's cheaper that way.

Western NY'er here.

SAFE Act didn't impact me too much, as I'm an old gun, milsurp guy. The biggest pain in the rear end is the refusal of other companies to ship anything firearm related to NY, especially ammo.
I do kick myself for not building an AR or 2 while I had the opportunity to, but I guess I still have the option of making it compliant with a mag lock or something.

My wife and I currently would love to move out of state, but we still have some family ties holding us back. This includes free childcare from my in-laws.

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

SFH1989 posted:

I want to visit Colorado again now that I can really appreciate it, I was 8 the last time I was there.

So you just want to get high?

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

DeesGrandpa posted:

For now.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

MrTuffPaws posted:

So you just want to get high?

Well Denver is the mile high city isn't it?

Colorado is a very pretty state but when I was there I was more interested in dinosaur stuff and trying to catch lizards.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

SFH1989 posted:

Colorado is a very pretty state but when I was there I was more interested in dinosaur stuff and trying to catch lizards.

You know you still want to go to Dinosaur National Park.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I see it being that way for some time. Denver is a young, fun city. Housing is loving expensive sadly, and will only get moreso, but the mountains aren't going anywhere so at least we'll have pretty views.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

You know you still want to go to Dinosaur National Park.

gently caress yeah I do, visited when I was 8. I wanted to be a paleontologist until I was around 12.

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!

DeesGrandpa posted:

I see it being that way for some time. Denver is a young, fun city. Housing is loving expensive sadly, and will only get moreso, but the mountains aren't going anywhere so at least we'll have pretty views.

I'm worried it won't be, the front range is growing way more rapidly than the rest of the state and they tend to vote in Anti-Gun politicians.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Can we add DC to the places listed in the OP?

DC has stricter laws than any state, and more so than almost all cities. All firearms require registration, and if you're bringing in a firearm you already own you have to physically bring it down to the police station to have them look at it in person. Overall our AWB is broadly based off of California's. For handguns though, anything that's listed on the CA, CT, or MD approved list is kosher, so at least it's a little wider than it could be (for both new purchases and also for importing handguns you already own).

The main difference from CA is that, afaik at least, things like BulletButton and all aren't a thing here. Generally stuff that in CA you can get away with because you have tens of thousands of people doing, in DC not so much because there are only 30,000 registered guns in the whole city. The fact that a ton of folks have government-related jobs, and you have to bring guns in in person, has kind of a chilling effect too. Like at one point I was thinking to get a VZ58, since you can get them with a fixed 10rd mag and just load them from the top like an SKS, so since there's no detachable mag you could have all the evil features you want. But I didn't because I'd really rather not be on MPD's list of "people who think they're cute" and having any kind of firearms violation on my record could be a problem for jobs.

So since BB ARs aren't really a thing, there are already several DC residents on ARF who've bought Ares SCRs and got them through fine, so that's what I plan to keep at my place in DC.

Sure, I could live somewhere literally within walking distance of my apartment that would allow me to buy NFA again, but for now I do enjoy living in DC, and I'm out of the country most of the time anyway.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

lol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

DC has stricter laws than any state, and more so than almost all cities. All firearms require registration, and if you're bringing in a firearm you already own you have to physically bring it down to the police station to have them look at it in person. Overall our AWB is broadly based off of California's. For handguns though, anything that's listed on the CA, CT, or MD approved list is kosher, so at least it's a little wider than it could be (for both new purchases and also for importing handguns you already own).

The main difference from CA is that, afaik at least, things like BulletButton and all aren't a thing here. Generally stuff that in CA you can get away with because you have tens of thousands of people doing, in DC not so much because there are only 30,000 registered guns in the whole city. The fact that a ton of folks have government-related jobs, and you have to bring guns in in person, has kind of a chilling effect too. Like at one point I was thinking to get a VZ58, since you can get them with a fixed 10rd mag and just load them from the top like an SKS, so since there's no detachable mag you could have all the evil features you want. But I didn't because I'd really rather not be on MPD's list of "people who think they're cute" and having any kind of firearms violation on my record could be a problem for jobs.

So since BB ARs aren't really a thing, there are already several DC residents on ARF who've bought Ares SCRs and got them through fine, so that's what I plan to keep at my place in DC.

Sure, I could live somewhere literally within walking distance of my apartment that would allow me to buy NFA again, but for now I do enjoy living in DC, and I'm out of the country most of the time anyway.

People actually have to live in California though, there's like two valid reasons to live in DC proper, if you're upper management in a major lobbying firm you're pretty much rich enough to bypass the law and if you can't escape the 8th ward you can't afford legal guns anyway

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

If you really, really have to live in a ~walkable~ community with conflict free vegan grocery stores or whatever hipster trash then the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor is both cheaper and nicer anyway and it has Virginia gun laws.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I want to imagine a vegan grocer being cool with tons of inexpensive veggies and spices but it is probably a soul-sucking shithole with insane $yuppie pricing, isn't it?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Butch Cassidy posted:

I want to imagine a vegan grocer being cool with tons of inexpensive veggies and spices but it is probably a soul-sucking shithole with insane $yuppie pricing, isn't it?

Just stick with farmers' markets for this.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

DC added. Can't believe I didn't put it at first, you guys have it worse than California.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Someone remind me which part so CA can't have ammo shipped to their door?

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Herr Tog posted:

Someone remind me which part so CA can't have ammo shipped to their door?
LA, Oakland, SF, Sacramento

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

krnhotwings posted:

County or city?

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Herr Tog posted:

County or city?
County. Hmmm, I always thought it was county, but I could be wrong.

e: Yup, I'm wrong. It's city. Lucky for me, I don't have to deal with that much of that stuff since I moved from LA to SD before I started getting into firearms...

Fun facts for non-LA folks:
- Whenever you buy and register a gun, you'll get a passive aggressive letter from the county, reminding you that you'll be held responsible if a child gets a hold of your gun.
- Whenever you buy (handgun?) ammo in LA county, the store records a thumb print and signature from you.
- Stores can't sell ammo for a week before July 4th and New Year's.

krnhotwings fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 22, 2015

MazelTovCocktail
Jun 23, 2012

Gritty's gonna cut you.

krnhotwings posted:

- Whenever you buy and register a gun, you'll get a passive aggressive letter from the county, reminding you that you'll be held responsible if a child gets a hold of your gun.
Nothing will ever equal the combined torrent of shaming that is in any manual Ruger makes.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

krnhotwings posted:

e: Yup, I'm wrong. It's city. Lucky for me, I don't have to deal with that much of that stuff since I moved from LA to SD before I started getting into firearms...

- Whenever you buy (handgun?) ammo in LA county, the store records a thumb print and signature from you.
- Stores can't sell ammo for a week before July 4th and New Year's.

Thank you! That poo poo is terrible

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

krnhotwings posted:

Actually it's legal to ship ammo to Sac, but many vendors don't want to take a chance with the way the law is worded. As written it does not forbid shipping, and this has ben confirmed by some of the lawyer types at Calguns.

Also, this:

isn't so bad, but the muzzle device is kinda yucky and might make the configuration illegal in ban states

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

My thought is that it wouldn't, since it lacks the "evil feature" of a pistol grip. I'm no expert though.

MazelTovCocktail
Jun 23, 2012

Gritty's gonna cut you.

Duckboat posted:

My thought is that it wouldn't, since it lacks the "evil feature" of a pistol grip. I'm no expert though.

Keep in mind what qualifies as a banned muzzle device varies in a few states. I think ,and Yuns can confirm this, that NJ allows compensators, but not flash hiders.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Shooting Blanks posted:

Just stick with farmers' markets for this.

>implying these are not soul-sucking shitholes with insane $yuppie pricing (at least some of the time)

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

Duckboat posted:

That rifle as pictured would be a no-go in NY. The muzzle device - NY no longer makes any exceptions for muzzle brakes - and bayo lug make it illegal. If it is a semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine it can't have any single extra feature on it, unless it's 50 years old or older (and any of those will still have to be registered).

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dogbrisket posted:

Actually it's legal to ship ammo to Sac, but many vendors don't want to take a chance with the way the law is worded. As written it does not forbid shipping, and this has ben confirmed by some of the lawyer types at Calguns.

Also, this:

isn't so bad, but the muzzle device is kinda yucky and might make the configuration illegal in ban states

Thank you. I can now consider this in my eventual resignment to a government job

Keldoclock posted:

>implying these are not soul-sucking shitholes with insane $yuppie pricing (at least some of the time)

Don't do that here man.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Butch Cassidy posted:

a single cucumber is placed on a scale, the other pan weighted with golden doubloons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

gfanikf posted:

Keep in mind what qualifies as a banned muzzle device varies in a few states. I think ,and Yuns can confirm this, that NJ allows compensators, but not flash hiders.
In NJ, compensators are not evil features but flash suppressors are. However, you can have 1 evil feature on a semi rifle with a detachable mag and since that rifle doesn't have a pistol grip then you can have a flash suppressor. However, if it has a bayonet lug and a flash suppressor then that's 2 evil features and its illegal.

• Locked thread