Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
That <marquee> almost killed my phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
lovin the weezer ones.this is cool

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rap Music and Dope posted:

lovin the weezer ones.this is cool

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
I remember when me and my stinky mate were playing GTA 1 demo from a demo diskette from a PC mag and his dad walked in, quit the game, loaded up a separate diskette which changed the midi notes or files or whatever the gently caress and blew our stupid stinky little gay nerd minds with the increased fidelity

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
When I realized that post was 1 single sentence I stopped reading.

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

Enfield posted:

i like the dingdong song

This unironically. Gunther is the man.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Jeff Sichoe posted:

I remember when me and my stinky mate were playing GTA 1 demo from a demo diskette from a PC mag and his dad walked in, quit the game, loaded up a separate diskette which changed the midi notes or files or whatever the gently caress and blew our stupid stinky little gay nerd minds with the increased fidelity

i remember my mom getting real upset about how violent gta was and it made me really want to find it and play it secretly, so i did

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Digital Fingers posted:

op should pm hotep to sticky this threadfor a week or something, it's neat and fun but I don't think there's enough to discuss to keep it from falling into oblivion

Let us reminisce about our first computers and the computers that have come after up until now and old internet poo poo in general and what brought us to these forums.

Edit: Had to reset the synth, someone sent it something it didn't like. Sorry. Going to start recording audio, so I can sync it back to a time if it happens again, and what was posted. Never mind, figured out who\what. Also going to skip the backlog since those people aren't on anymore.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 15, 2015

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
back when I read AI some lady made a thread titled "I Just Bought An Xbox" and it was about her brand new Scion xB and that was pretty funny because it was the height of the "xbox is huge" meme well that's my story

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

best driver in the thread

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Never mind, figured out who\what. Also going to skip the backlog since those people aren't on anymore.

I added a smashmouth song and an iron maiden one last night back to back and it ended up crapping out after the smashmouth one. I got them both from an actual proper midi file site so I think I'm the one who hosed it up but i'm confused as to how.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
OP ur missing something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSwqnR327fk

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Why the parallel port hookup? It should have PCI and PCI ethernet cards are available for about $1 at a thrift store (well they were, might be all gone now).
With a DX/2 64mb ram you could go as far as Windows 2000 if you want to move to windows (i wouldn' t DOS is much better).

E: also encoding MP3's on that thing is going to take a long time.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Is the audio crackling for anyone else? I think your stream input is clipping, op :(

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

NihilismNow posted:

Why the parallel port hookup? It should have PCI and PCI ethernet cards are available for about $1 at a thrift store (well they were, might be all gone now).
With a DX/2 64mb ram you could go as far as Windows 2000 if you want to move to windows (i wouldn' t DOS is much better).

I might be forgetting my timelines, but wasn't PCI mostly adopted around the Pentium era? I remember that even my Pentium-2 had 3 PCI and 2 ISA slots, so I think most 486s were all ISA...but I could be wrong.

Edit: PCI was introduced in 1992, so if this computer comes from 1994, it seems like it might have PCI slots.

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 15, 2015

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

error1 posted:

Is the audio crackling for anyone else? I think your stream input is clipping, op :(

What browser/os are you playing on? I've noticed that on Android regardless of input stream.

The audio is actually being encoded on a mac via some shoutcasting program called Butt from line in. I noticed it does crack if I don't run it through Jack for some reason.

http://cookwithkevin.com:8000/stream is an alternate stream URL that would work in Winamp or something.

Nickelback Concert
Apr 28, 2015
I don't understand what the gently caress your techno-babble post is even about, OP. But I can assure you one thing: it's pussy repellent.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Nickelback Concert posted:

I don't understand what the gently caress your techno-babble post is even about, OP. But I can assure you one thing: it's pussy repellent.

I trust a man named "Nickelback Concert" to know what attracts women.

Nickelback Concert
Apr 28, 2015

glowing-fish posted:

I trust a man named "Nickelback Concert" to know what attracts women.

You should. Dumb whores flock to me and I dish out like the loaves and fish.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

NihilismNow posted:

Finding a packet driver for a pci ethernet adapter might be hard. Also, I have a 386 sx from 1989 that doesn't have pci. Shockingly, the 486 board does have PCI, it's a very late 486 from ~1994. Compatibility with pci devices is dubious at best. I tried a pci UDMA 66 controller to get highet speeds on the CF card. While the card posted its bios message, the computer coudn't boot off a drive attached nor see it in dos. I also swiped a lot more ISA stuff from my parents' attic than PCI!

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

This is very :coal:.

Thanks.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Loqieu posted:

This is very :coal:.

Thanks.

Yw.
It's actually pretty relaxing because people keep posting good music. Listening to it for my commute. :unsmith:

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
As a goon who is not an oldgoon, what does any of that OP mean

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Yw.
It's actually pretty relaxing because people keep posting good music. Listening to it for my commute. :unsmith:

Hope you enjoyed that 12+ minute Beethoven midi.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Good stuff OP, takes me back to the days of playing MIDIs and MODs on my Packard Bell 486.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Hearing that Streets of Rage midi file on the Roland was actually really amazing. Lots of impressive details in it that get lost otherwise.

Tetracell
Feb 16, 2008
My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb. Those that doubt me... suck cock by choice.
How the gently caress did I get beaten to uploading westwood monopoly midi's

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Heh, put in a JV-1010 in place of the SC-55. The SC-55 sounds better for GM imo.
Edit: Meh, enough of that. It sounds like Timidity or something. Much better for making music not playing back GM files.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 16, 2015

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

can't hear anything

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Parallax Scroll posted:

can't hear anything

Right now? It's working for me. But I had the stream stopped for a bit earlier.

Edit: Anyone know of any mod players for dos? Can try them in dosbox. I need one that quits when it finishes to make it work with this.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 16, 2015

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
That rad racer track startled the hell out of my cat. Good work!

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Going to give this a Saturday morning bump

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
TY.
smwoverworld.mid is a bit uncanny. It almost sounds identical to the SNES, but it's slightly off.

Also for some reason like maybe 5% of poo poo fucks up in a way that breaks it. Like the thong song plays super slow and then crashes after like a half hour or something. When I get the raspberry PI I'll probably have to make it do some sort of audio analysis to determine if it's hung, and maybe make a drinking bird hit esc or ctrl-alt-del.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 16, 2015

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

It's also looking like requeues causing songs to be added twice in a row.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Digital Fingers posted:

It's also looking like requeues causing songs to be added twice in a row.

Shouldn't....I figured it was people doing that intentionally. What browser?
Edit: Whoever is doing it is doing it minutes apart..if it's not intentional the browser might be doing something funky because frames are ancient.

Edit 2: Gonna go out for a bit. Hope it doesn't gently caress up. (it will) I'm thinking of what I can do to make it more stable without switching to windows.... There are TSRs out there that can send text on the screen over a serial port. I figure it I can monitor it, make DOS say a line of text every time a song finishes, like a heartbeat. If a heartbeat doesn't get received for a while, send esc. Still no, ctrl-alt-del time.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 16, 2015

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Shouldn't....I figured it was people doing that intentionally. What browser?

I'm on chrome and it double queued the thong song twice when I tried it, I thought people were doing it intentionally as well until that.

It was working properly when I used it a day or two ago though.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
This is amazing, thanks!

Slapdash
Mar 30, 2010
Holy poo poo this is fun. Nice work. Thanks for doing this.

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
This rules, never take this down please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

This Hank Williams song is turning out to be pretty loving ace.

• Locked thread