Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Our tale begins in the small farming village of Eastrich, deep in the highlands of Thild. A pall has recently been cast over this town as it became the most recent victim of increasingly vicious Lycan raids: the Oldhef family on the edge of town were murdered in their beds and their farmlands burned not more than a week ago.

This deepening crisis has brought our three adventurers here today:

Geoff Harrington, played by dopepope
Curtis Clements, played by Electric Hobo
Pete the Butcher, played by Captain Bravo

So you've just arrived in town, and you're going to need some leads / gather some info on how to track down the Lycans. How do you go about it?

As a reminder, the basic mechanic is to roll 3d6, then get equal to or less than your ST/DX/IQ/HT to succeed. Rolling low is good. If it's a thing that would need specialized training to do, then there's a -6 penalty to your attribute.

If your skill and/or your equipment applies to the thing, you get a +4 bonus to your attribute, but the -6 still applies, so a task needing specialized training would still be at a net -2 if you have 1 applicable skill.

Describe your action, which attribute would be appropriate, and which skill/equipment would be appropriate if you have one. If you'd prefer for me to roll for you, I can do that as well.

You can also ask me a question about the place, flesh out your character a bit more, or talk to your fellow adventurers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Pete the Butcher

The most important part of a Butcher's tools are his knives. They have to be kept oiled, free of rust, and most importantly razor-sharp. Although a whetstone and some time is enough to keep most edges well-honed, after the grisly work Pete's found himself in it was time to have a professional look over it.

As the village Cutler ran Pete's knife over his wheel, Pete decided to strike up some small talk.

"So, how's business? I'd imagine with all the Lycan attacks, you're probably doing fairly well, eh? Much need for a sharp blade in these times."

Going to roll Merchant to inquire among the other businesses in town who has been spending the most on preparations. 3d6=13, I have an INT of 12, a Merchant Skill for +4, and also I'm Charismatic

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Success

You get to talking to the town blacksmith, and he says Warner Brandt, who lives near the Oldhef farm, gave him a load of silver the other day and asked him to coat some of his farm implements with it. He looked mighty anxious while doing it, too.

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

Geoff Harrington
Geoff steels himself for the rigmaroles of investigation. He looks out over the town, searching for an inn, tavern, public square, or any other place where there could be people congregating. If he wants to know exactly which strain of lycanthropy he is dealing with, he will need to ask some questions...

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Curtis Clements

Curtis follows the mercenary philosophy of not doing anything before you make sure you'll get paid, so he goes looking for whoever is in charge. In a village like this, that'll probably be the oldest man who hasn't yet gone senile. Maybe aided by a group of other elders.
Curtis starts talking to the nearest villager he sees.
"Hello my good man. Who should I go see if I wan't to help put a stop to this lycan problem that you having?"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

dopepope posted:

Geoff Harrington
These days people try to stay indoors as much as possible, and in groups. Eastrich's one and only tavern, The Shepherd's Hall, is where you'll find most of the folk when they're not out plowing the fields or tending the livestock.

Electric Hobo posted:

Curtis Clements
The villager points you towards the constabulary. Ever since the attack on the Oldhef's, it's doubled as an office for the village leaders to confer about any news, including tips on where the next attack may happen or any traces of where the Lycans are coming from.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Curtis Clements

Curtis thanks the villager and continues to the constabulary. He bursts through the door and, after making sure that someone's actually in there, announces his presence.
"Good afternoon! I am Curtis Clements, the best lycan trapper in the kingdom! I'll fix your problem, but I won't do it for free! Now, what's your best offer and where are the lycans?"

I'm on my phone for a few days so I can't roll IQ for persuation here. If someone can roll for me that'd be great.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Pete the Butcher

Sitting in the constabulary lobby, Pete glances over his shoulder as he drops off the week's lamb cuts for the bobbies.

"My best offer is $3 a pound, same as everyone else. And the Lycans are probably at the Oldhef farm, unless the farmer has a hankering for silver-coated plowshares."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Electric Hobo posted:

Curtis Clements
Getting some dosh for hunting Lycans (14): 3d6 = 6

Success

Captain Bravo posted:

Pete the Butcher

Hawking your wares (12+4=16): = 3d6 14

Success

The elders agree, your best shot of tracking down the Lycans is to start at the Oldhefs and work from there. They give Curtis a small share of the bounty they've put up for eliminating the threat (with the rest to follow on completion), while Pete manages to make a bit of coin selling his lamb cuts.

Both of you earn enough money to purchase some equipment that you can use as part of your character sheet skill for one encounter/scene.

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

Geoff Harrington
Geoff enters the Constabulary (after being guided there by a villager), sets his staff near the door, and is both perturbed and relieved to see that Curtis and Pete are in the village as well, and apparently already doing business, no less.

Geoff smiles shallowly at Curtis. He feels he will never understand these mercenary-types who will only help if the coin is good enough - as if you could put a price on human life! - but he knows how useful a keen trapper can be.

Geoff passes by Pete, on the other hand, without even a look. Geoff does not approve of desecrating the corpses of former humans. However, there are perhaps more important matters on hand at the moment, and Geoff can't deny that earning some coin for his lycan corpses will certainly be useful.

In any case, Geoff respects these two for being willing to take on these monsters, when it seems like so many people would prefer to just lock themselves in their houses.

After stating his intention to defeat the lycans to the elders, Geoff turns to questioning. For now, he will focus on understanding the type of enemy he is up against, and perhaps afterward he will investigate these Oldhef murders.

Questions he asks the elders:
"How frequent are lycan attacks these days?"
"Where do lycans go after a hunt?"
"How is the lycanthropy spread?"
"Do lycans ever transform back into humans?"
"How much of their humanity do lycans retain in their wolf form?"
"Is it possible that members of this village could be lycans?"

This post assumes that lycans are former humans. IDK if you want me to roll for any of this.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at May 17, 2015 around 07:10

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Curtis Clemens

"Pleasure doing business.", Curtis smiles as he pockets the money.
Geoff showed up and started asking all kinds of questions while Curtis was busy haggling, so he just hangs back and listens in.
That slightly infamous butcher, Pete, is here too. Curtis senses another business opportunity that he might be able to secure with the lycan flaying butcher.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

dopepope posted:

Geoff Harrington

Talking to the Elders for Lycan info (12): 3d6 = 12

Success

Some of the elders clam up, but a few are willing to speak to anyone that's at least willing to fight and help.

Lycanthropy is spread by being bitten, and normally manifests every full moon. For some reason though, these recent attacks have been happening week after week after week for nearly 3 months now, even on the darkest of nights. Nobody knows where they're coming from, and anyone that contracts Lycanthropy ends up fleeing from civilized life, never to be seen again except as assailants. Some brave souls even attempted to reason with them, but such measures were only met with blood and gore.

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

Geoff thanks the elders, then turns to face Curtis and Pete.

"Gentlemen, if it is indeed as the elders say, it appears that we have no choice but to take down these lycans by force. The most reasonable course of action is clearly to investigate these Oldhef murders. Perhaps there we can find some sort of clue as to where the creatures could be hiding. What say you?"

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Pete the Butcher

"Fine by me, give me a few hours to prepare, and I'll meet you this afternoon by the road to the Oldhef farm. Always glad to have companions, although... I hope you aren't squemish."

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Curtis Clements

"Agreed then, we'll meet by the road. The earlier the better, I don't want to be caught out too late before we at least know what's going on."
Curtis says a round of quick goodbyes to the elders and goes in search of the local herb peddler. After a while, a nervous villager points him to a small house at the edge of town where an old, wise woman supposedly lives. There he buys a largish pouch of Wolfsbane, an herb that is fatal to lycans if you somehow manage to feed it to them, or touch their skin with it. Not much of a weapon, but an excellent deterrent.

As he heads to the meeting point, a swagger sneaks into his step and he begin to whistle an old song. The thrill of the hunt is starting to set in.

Added some Wolfsbane to Curtis' equipment.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Pete the Butcher

"Ugh, why'd I agree to go along with this?" Pete says to himself. He mutters, "I usually just look for the dead ones..."

If he's going to be dealing with the real deal, a living Lycan, he knows he's gotta be prepared. Stopping by the local seamstress, he purchases a few strips of recently mordanted wool. He's heard that it can be quite effective in dressing bloody wounds. He also haggles the local grocer to an agreeable price for some moss poultice, which he spreads on the cloth, before tying it into a bundle and putting it in his pack. If anyone gets bitten, it won't do much good, but it might help stave off death from a lycan's vicious claws.

purchasing some basic first-aid items, in case one of us gets hurt.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

The three of you make it to the Oldhef farm, on the outskirts of town, just off the main road.

The farm was ringed by a low stone wall, but it's clear even before you enter the grounds that the barn and chicken coop are half-burned down, and the door to the Oldhef house has been smashed wide open. Their small wheat fields have been untended for some days now and already the crops are showing signs of neglect.

Next to you, the fence gate creaks slowly in the wind.

What do you do next?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Curtis Clements

"Looks pretty bad." Curtis says as he surveys the farm. "Let's have a look around. I'll stay outside for now".
The trapper begins circling the farm looking for any tracks that might show where the attackers came from.

Using IQ for this. I'd say the trapping skill applies because knowing where the prey comes by makes for better traps.
I still can't roll on my own

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Electric Hobo posted:

Curtis Clements

Looking for Lycan tracks (14-6+4=12): 3d6 = 6

Success by a margin of 6

You spot the tracks almost immediately - they took the same path coming in, doing their grisly work, then back out, jumping over the stone fence both times. They trail off into the foothills in the distance, and you'd be able to follow them quite clearly.

You do notice one other thing: some of these tracks don't look like wolf paws. Whatever left these prints had fleshy, almost fur-less feet, too elongated to be human feet, and with long, sharp claws or nails. They're still bipedal though, that much you can tell.

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

Geoff Harrington
Geoff frowns. Well, he was already frowning, so his frown deepens.

"It is EXACTLY as I expected. Lycans hunt only on a full moon, and these attacks have been occuring much too frequently for such a simple explanation. I suggest we follow these tracks, but prepare for anything; there may be darknesses ahead more terrifing than anything either of you have ever seen."

(When Geoff said EXACTLY, he attempted to shove his staff into the ground so that it would stand upright, all for dramatic effect. However, the ground was too rocky for the staff to stick, so Geoff spent the rest of his speech awkwardly trying to make it balance.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Just wanting to know if anyone wants to poke about the Oldhef farm a bit more, but otherwise yeah you can elect to follow those tracks now.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Pete the Butcher

"Aww no, no! They had a girl! A little girl, she liked to come in my shop and watch me chop apart the ribs!" Pete screams, as he runs for the house. "She must be hidden under the bed, or in the attic or something, we have to find her!"

Pete will enter the house and begin hurling furniture around in a panic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

A hurried search (12): 3d6 = 12

Success, barely

You see signs of a struggle - the little girl put up a fight, clawing fingernail marks into the wooden cabinet she was hiding in before she was dragged away. She must still be alive, somehow.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Pete the Butcher

Bellowing, Pete begins to hack apart the cabinet with his butcher's knife. As his swings become more frenetic, tears begin to flow. Finally, he sinks down to the floor, sobbing.

Who knew Pete had a soft spot for kids?

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

Sorry for not responding as often as I should have! Should we keep playing or is the thread over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

• Locked thread