Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Abandoned building

"You don't worry about medical or where you are going to live. The Warehouse takes care of its own. As for compensation, you should have had that worked out previous to coming here. Since you didn't, you'll have to wait till later to find out about payment. Those who work for the Warehouse get paid well."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Burke

Geoffrey quietly listened to Mr. Caul speak, wondering if people joining the Illuminati or the Knights Templar got the same speech. He raised his hand to ask his questions, "I got two questions. First, what sort of labs and equipment will I have access to? And will I be allowed to perform my own research? In my free time, of course."

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Stone

"Yes, yes, very melodramatic Mr. Caul. When do we get on with this?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

William

He continues to pace about as Mr. Caul gives them all the talk it sounds like the man has given a dozen times over before. The rope noose certainly stands out as he catches a glance of it, but he imagines that's sort of the point. It must itch, he thinks to himself. 'Terribly so'. From what he remembers, a rope noose is hardly the most pleasant thing to have around your neck, and that's before they hang you. Still, he can appreciate the humour in it and he has a good chuckle about it as the others talk.

After a moment of realizing he's not said anything, he stops to address Mr. Caul, nodding almost impatiently. "Yes yes, all very good. As far as you and I are concerned, I joined up when I boarded the plane over here. I have no trouble leaving an old life behind, after all." The rules are all fine by him. And as far as being an agent of the Warehouse goes, he can't see it being any different or worse to his current situation. It's not as if he has anything to miss back home. At least this way he'll have someone giving him interesting jobs rather than having to seek them out himself when boredom overcomes him. Better to be around those fully accepting of what and who you are too. This could all be quite fun really! And with the time he has at his disposal he might even work his way up to a cushier position. Still, one step at a time and all that.

"I have no worries of accommodation or payment. And medical is hardly an issue either," The last part is said with a giggle. "I imagine my time with you will be very interesting, Mr. Caul. I can't wait! Do we have to sign anything to make this official?" Yet another random jelly bean is popped into his mouth. "Oh! Green apple. My favourite." He then returns to pacing the room, his eyes drawn back to the rain pouring through the cracks above.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Roy

He's quiet for a long while as Caul - which Roy assumes probably isn't his real name - arrives and says his thing. There's a lot for him to unpack there. From the law to above the law, huh? That, he thinks, will prove to be interesting. He'd known enough to bother showing up in the first place, of course, but this...

But then, it's not as if Roy has much reason to decline. Most of his old life is already buried - literally. And if even half the pomp and circumstance in Caul's spiel indicates what it obviously seems to, then he'll be a hell of a lot more useful with this outfit. Even despite the weird collection of people and Caul's disturbing nature.

"Straight to the fuckin' hard sell, huh," Roy eventually says. "Well, you don't have anything to worry about with me. Count me in on this craziness." A pause. "So how's this work? Walk us through sort of...day-to-day operations, if there is such a thing for this kind of subject, if you wouldn't mind."

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Father Frank

Relieved to see things finally moving along, Frank lets everyone else do the talking, "All I want to know is: when do we get to touch the good stuff?"

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Stone

"Oh yes, I agree completely," Jack Stone says, nodding to Frank before turning to Caul with a cheshire-cat grin spreading over his face. "You've had your filthy paws all over my gear, time to reciprocate. What do we get?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Abandoned Building

Mr. Caul looks over at Jack.

"How about a bullet to the head? That melodramatic enough for you?" Everyone can tell he isn't joking.

He then turns to the others.

"I am from Human Resources, so you won't see much from me. Later on, you'll meet your supervisor. Your supervisor is the person in charge of you. The Warehouse is going to have you work for the Special Operations Department. You are going to be field operatives for that department, which means you'll conduct operations. Operations such as retrieving things, eliminating things, and investigations into unknown matters. What this means is that there's no such thing as a regular day, everyday is different.

"Right now you don't get anything assigned to you. Your supervisor will be issuing you your IDs and help you requisition any gear you need. To make this official, all I need you to do is walk out that door you came in. There's transportation out there to take you to the SOD headquarters. You go out that door and get in the vehicle, then that means you agree to everything I said. If you decided this isn't for you, then this is your chance to leave."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Toby

"Sounds more like what I was told. I'm all for it, though eliminating things not my forte." He leaned back smacking his gum. "Not that I'm not trained for it, but, not something I like to do, if you get my drift." He said with a bit of of a sigh, "Still, like you said, Caul, in for a penny in for a pound. No turning back after this point at least for me." Toby said getting up with his backpack and his tote bag. Nodding to the others, he gave a brief salute to Mr. Caul before saying, "I'm on board, boss. I hope don't have to see HR again, I gotta admit."

Toby wasn't joking either but his smile and his attitude didn't lessen, after all he was the best at what he did and that was all that was important. If he had to go out of his comfort zone, well he would be drat good at what he did instead of the best.

"I'm in mates, if I don't see you again. Just forget I existed." Toby gave a smirk and started walking out of the door he came in.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Stone

Loading the half-empty bottle back into his briefcase, Stone closes and latches it in one fluid motion, before hopping out of his chair.

"Caul, you don't scare me. You know that, we learned it together in that interrogation room." Stone says, walking past him to the door. "Enjoy your paper-pushing, and let's hope we never have to see each other again."

Walking through the door, Stone takes a pull from his hip flask. As it closes behind him, a faint, "Mmm, jellybeans!" can be heard.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Burke

"That all sounds like fascinating work. Count me in!", Geoffrey exclaimed. It was mostly true; he wasn't quite sure how he felt about the 'elimination' part of the team's duties, but all the rest of it sounded great to him. He got up, gathered his stuff, straightened his tie, and followed Jack and Toby outside.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Nathan Reyes

Nathan gets up, picks up his duffel bag, nods at Caul, and walks through the door.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

William

"Ahh, operations. Smashing! Something different everyday is just the ticket. Let us get this show on the road!" As some of the others begin to depart ahead of him, he walks back to the table to gather his suitcase and umbrella. "Thank you, Mr. Caul," he says turning to the man and giving a polite nod. "Do hope we meet again so you can perhaps tell me the story behind that interesting 'tie' of yours."

He then follows swiftly behind those already out the door with a light skip in his step and starts to gently say under his breath: "Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more..." Yes, life is certainly going to get interesting for him once more and he's all for it. Quite frankly, he's surprised he didn't join up sooner.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Nick Brophy

Joking or not, it was still melodramatic. Nick rolled his eyes at Mr. Caul's comment about the bullet in the head. He didn't even pull a gun.
"I've got a couple things in my car I want to grab. Don't leave without me." He walks out the door, and gets into the waiting vehicle.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Father Frank

"I wonder what we're riding around in," Frank says, grabbing up his hat and coat.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Roy

He eyes Caul for a long moment, and watches most of the others already get up and go. At last, Roy stands. "If I had to guess, you already knew what we'd all choose," he says, "'s why we got called in the first place. Shiiiit."

Melodrama aside, there really is only one way to go - and so Roy follows the others back out front to find whatever crazy-rear end (and probably vaguely unsettlingly imposing or official-looking) ride that has inevitably been prepared for them. Which he voices in response to the Father's rhetorical question. "Probably something completely nutso."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Out the door

Stepping outside a bright light is shining. It is nearly blinding. What little can be made out is that there's a rectangular dark spot up ahead. It seems like the only option at this point. The group makes their way into the doorway. As the last of the eight make their way through the door way, the door shuts behind them. As their eyes adjust to the lack of the bright light, they see that they are in a windowless room. The room appears to be a cabin of some sort. The aesthetic of the room is military and spartan. Minimal comfort with benches bolted to the walls and nothing to hide the metal walls, floor and ceiling. As they begin to look around the room, whatever they are in shakes slightly. The sensation seems to be that of this metal room lifting off the ground. The room size is around ten feet wide by fifteen feet long with the ceiling being about seven feet high. To the front there is an unmarked door. At the back of the craft is a door marked by symbols indicating it is a bathroom.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Nick Brophy

Nick bends his knees to steady himself as the room shakes. "Well. That's clever. Anybody here ever ridden in a shipping container?"

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Nathan Reyes

Nathan Reyes blinks rapidly as his eyes adjust, and then looks around with a snort of laughter. The inside reminded him of the old Pave Lows he had been in, and he looked around appraisingly. Above him, he heard the distinctive sound of rotors, but it was quieter than any military helicopter he'd ever been in. "They must have really worked this bird over. Probably like that one the Seals used to take out Bin Laden."

Per 13 to check out the interior, also Piloting/TL8 (Helicopter) 12 for what it's worth.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Toby

Stepping into the container Toby sighs and leans against the wall as the others join him. Rubbing his head and stretching he considered the fact it was going to be a long journey. Also a bit of bad memories of stale fast food and living out of a shipping container for a few months.

"Uh, I was hoping I wouldn't have to be stuck in one of these things again. Had too for a job, not the best of rides." He said replying in a disinterested way.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 22, 2015

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

William

He makes use of his always handy umbrella again in the blinding light outside, this time to shield his eyes as he simply walks straight forward after the others. Then inside their unconventional mode of transport, he takes a seat on one of the conveniently bolted in benches. "I always did hear that they never had much of a mind for luxury. Wouldn't want us getting too comfortable, I suppose. As far as shipping containers go, if this is indeed one we find ourselves in, it's remarkably more comfortable than I imagined them to be." He chuckles. "From one empty room to another..."

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nathan Reyes

Nathan Sits down and shakes his head, chucling. "Shipping container? We're in a helicopter, man. The stereotypical Black Helicopter." He looks around the cabin, gauging the size. "Just by the width it's gotta be a Pave Low or Sea Stallion, looks like they've blocked off about half of the cabin though, it should be about twice as long, with a ramp at the back. And they've done some work on the engine and rotors, some kind of noise reduction. Normally on these things you can't hear yourself think, let alone have a conversation."

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Jack Stone

"Now this is what I'm talking about," Stone says, with a big grin on his face. "God, this takes me back. Panama, the Urals, loving Tunisia!"

Taking a swig from his flask, he appears contemplative for a bit.

"On second thought, scratch that last one. I hated Tunisia. I wonder if they've got my gear stashed in here?"

Heading for the front of the container, Stone attempts to open the door.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Father Frank

"I never got motion sickness before," Frank feels for the swaying of their unconventional vehicle, "Let's not start today."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

The inside of a helicopter?

Nathan checks around the sides of the room. The interior appears to be the wrong size for all of the helicopters he knows. Just from what he sees in the cabin, he gets the feeling that this helicopter (and he's sure it is a helicopter) wasn't designed the way a helicopter should be designed. Checking the wall opposite the door he came in, he finds a very fine groove that appears to be some kind of a hatch about five feet wide and six feet tall. He can't find any hinges or mechanisms that would allow it open up. However the grooves don't seem to serve any other purpose. He then realizes that he can't smell any kind of petroleum. What ever they used to fuel this thing, he can't smell it. Either the cabin is practically air tight with its own air supply or the helicopter is using some kind of an unorthodox engine. The faint sound of helicopter blades disappears, but the cabin doesn't appear to be falling or changing altitude at all.

Jack walks up to the front door. He tries the handle. The door is locked. Looking around he sees no key hole for the door. Next to the door is what appears to be a white box with a red and green light. Neither of the lights are on currently.

Father Frank waits for motion sickness to start, but it doesn't happen.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Jack Stone

Stone reaches for his multitool, then pauses.

"Oh, what the hell. I'll leave it be. Just this once."

Replacing the tool in his jacket, he sits down and fiddles with his briefcase. He opens a small grooming kit, and begins to clip his fingernails. Whatever toothpaste is inside must be very effective, because his smile gleams as he eyes the door at the front of the chamber.

"Just... This... Once..."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Toby

"Ah so this is what it must be for them army boys." Toby said to everyone has he sat down. "Don't think this means I get hazard pay does it." He snarked and resumed chewing his gum. Taking out a small book that was well worn book and obviously from some thrift store. Opening to midway through he starts reading. The cover is broken by black tape wrapping and smoothing over what must have been a cover damaged from over use. Flipping the pages as he gets settled into his obvious well practiced travel pose against the edge of the unusual helicopter. "I could get use to travelling like this."

"So since we are all in this, 'helio'" He said sure to add air quotes around it, "You don't suppose we are going to have to like sky dive or something?" The thought had crossed his mind as soon as he felt them lifting him. "Cause I sure didn't bring a parachute." Toby listened for a moment and wondered on something else, but didn't say anything. It wasn't a normal craft, but he had promise the not normal. Really now his mind was working and trying to figure out... the catch.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nathan Reyes

Nathan gets up and walks carefully over to the other side of the cabin, running his hands around the edge of what looked like a hatch. He turns to Toby and snorts. "We never had anything like this in the Air Force, even in SOCOM. All our birds smelled like jet fuel, and were noisy as gently caress. This is more like Marine One." He raises his eyebrows at the remark about parachuting. "I doubt they'll have us getting up to anything quite that exciting this early, but that is a good point, we may end up being inserted by parachute at some point." He addresses the group as a whole, glancing from one to the other. "Have any of you guys ever taken a parachute jump? Even if you've gone skydiving it'd be better than nothing."

Beardless fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 23, 2015

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Geoffrey Burke - A helicopter?

Dr. Burke approached the doorway with equal parts apprehension and excitement, wondering what they were picking them up in. Apparently it was a helicopter; Burke had never been in a helicopter before. If his new coworker was to be believed, this was no ordinary helicopter. Geoffrey took a seat, wondering what other equipment the Warehouse had to offer. Burke replied to Nathan's question, "Sorry, I haven't. Uh, should I have?" Hmm, skydiving and/or parachuting. That seemed to be a fun thing to try at least once.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Roy

"Never used a parachute," Roy candidly admits. "I am a land-based motherfucker. Never really had much reason to drop onto a crime scene." He pauses, his eyes tracking back and forth around the compartment. By reflex he reaches for a pack of cigarettes, but quickly puts it back in the pocket from which it came after evidently thinking better of the idea of lighting up in such an enclosed space - to say nothing of if it was perhaps pressurized.

His attention lands on the opposite wall. "Regardless of what exactly they have done to this chopper," posits Roy, "I think it's pretty drat obvious they have gone some lengths to make sure anyone in here won't be able to figure jack or poo poo about their ride. I think that tells us more than a little bit."

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Stone

"Good point, I wonder why it is they don't want us knowing where we are?" Stone says, before opening his watch.

"Beautiful, is the GPS tracker still working? Can you determine where are we right now?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Toby

"Is everything on you voice activated? Doesn't help you be stealthy. Cause man you seem like a walking Apple commercial Mr. Whisky." Toby said leaning against the wall considering the options. "I don't think they would risk skydiving, but I wonder how long we will be stuck in here."

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Stone

"You can type stuff on it, but it's a tiny screen and it takes a while. When you're not actively trying to be stealthy, it's just way easier to use Dragon," Stone explains. "It actually has a silent mode, if you flip the catch the other way she doesn't say anything so you can use it while hiding."

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Father Frank

The priest sighs, "Can't you people sit still for five lousy minutes?" He leans against the wall of the compartment, satisfied he's not getting nauseated, "You start talking about tucking and rolling before it occurs to you to wait for the bus to stop."

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nathan Reyes

Nathan sits back down, and smiles at Frank. "Don't mind me padre, in my experience it's always best to plan for things to go wrong. It only takes getting shot out of a sky once to start thinkign about it every time you're in a bird."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

William

They had been taken from one empty waiting room to simply being put into another. Judging from the lack of a newspaper or pack of playing cards, he assumes they are not intended to occupy this space for very long. And that's just fine by him. All the day's sitting around is making him far too eager to stretch his legs properly, yet he does not budge from his seat for now. "I wonder how fast we're moving..." he mumbles almost silently to himself. Placing a hand on the floor, he feels for a moment before giving a 'Hmm' and pulling back the hand. Quite fast, he'd wager. Although it may benefit him not to know just how fast and risk making himself queasy.

"Oh, a helicopter is it?" he chuckles. "Perhaps so..." He wonders how they can be so sure, but then he must admit that he has no expert knowledge on the layout of current types of transports. If that is what the others decide they are in, then he sees no reason to have them suspect otherwise. Personally, he is not convinced. But then it may in fact turn out to be something as simple and common as that after all. Hard to know until you know. "And skydiving? A preposterous thought..." Why, there are no parachutes and he is hardly dressed appropriately for such a task.

"A group like this, I wonder what we'll be assigned to first." He taps his foot on the floor as he ponders. "A locate and rescue, a particular nasty nest eradication, or a good old fashioned relic hunt. Those are my favourite. Always make for good stories they do." Another bean pops into his mouth. "Not much to do right now but wait and wonder..."

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 25, 2015

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Helicopter?

Jack sees a message pop up. "GPS - Nonfunctional. Electromagnetic interference"

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

[b]Stone[/]

"Hahaha, they're good!"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Toby

"So I guess we are going to the batcave. But Willy has a point, I hope we get an interesting job, though I have to admit relic hunt is more my alley." Toby said with a bit of a smile all of the helicopter talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nathan Reyes

"Locate and rescue is more my speed. Can't say I've ever been on a relic hunt. Sounds like some kind of Indiana Jones poo poo."

• Locked thread