Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

One of Lenin's earliest surviving works, New Economic Developments in Peasant Life is a really interesting investigation of the way Russian peasants were hosed by the Great Reform that freed them from serfdom without falling into revisionism to suggest serfdom was somehow progressive.

(bolding mine)
Just to be clear, was it your impression that I was doing that/do I really come off as saying that ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
GoG gives you a free base Witcher 3 if you link an account that has the game to its GoG Galaxy Launcher.

Good way for people on consoles to get the PC version. I have 1 and 2 on GoG so now I have a whole set!

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

FilthyImp posted:

GoG gives you a free base Witcher 3 if you link an account that has the game to its GoG Galaxy Launcher.

Good way for people on consoles to get the PC version. I have 1 and 2 on GoG so now I have a whole set!

Just claimed mine. Have the PS4 GOTY version so now I have that on PC as well! If I ever do replay the game, I'll explore some mods!

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
GUYS keep your POLITICS out of MY VIDEOGAMES

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can you choose what alcohol is used when meditating? Why does the game use one of my rarer alcohols I need for alchemy when I have 200 bottles of dwarven spirit? [PS4]

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Are you out of alcohest? I always assumed that was the default first option for refills.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i thought for sure it went in, no poo poo, alphabetical order. so if i was out of alcohest it would always use dwarven spirits next

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

Are you out of alcohest? I always assumed that was the default first option for refills.

How? It's in loot everywhere. It's slightly less common than dwarven spirits yes, but you still stumble across enough to never have to think about it. I mean the cordials are rare(ish) to loot, but you can buy those from any bartender.

Cowcaster posted:

i thought for sure it went in, no poo poo, alphabetical order. so if i was out of alcohest it would always use dwarven spirits next

Pretty sure this is true, but I can't think of a play through where I was ever low on alcohest.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it was definitely an early game circumstance where i had found a low ratio of alcohest to dwarven spirits up until that point

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
To be honest, it is not going to be a problem for you in the long run. There is more than enough ingredients to make Superior Everything in your first playthrough, and eventually the only thing you'll be limited by is stuff like troll livers and mutagens.

One trick is to loot people's houses and pantries. As long as you aren't in front of guards, no one cares, and if the guards see you, you can just run away and they'll stop chasing you and forget it ever happened.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Slowpoke! posted:

To be honest, it is not going to be a problem for you in the long run. There is more than enough ingredients to make Superior Everything in your first playthrough, and eventually the only thing you'll be limited by is stuff like troll livers and mutagens.

One trick is to loot people's houses and pantries. As long as you aren't in front of guards, no one cares, and if the guards see you, you can just run away and they'll stop chasing you and forget it ever happened.

This. There are a handful of actually rare ingredients (off the top of my head, cave troll livers and cockatrice stomach), and another handful that have to be bought (ergot seeds and at least one other I can't remember) - but in general, just grab free herbs everywhere all the time and check your alchemy screen occasionally to see what you can make. The other consideration for Superior potions is getting enough White Gulls which just means trips to bartenders.

Now then, mastercrafted and grandmastercrafted Witcher gear, if you're trying to make all the sets...that gets a little painful.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Balisse fruit is a real bitch if you don't grab every one you can find in White Orchard.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I always got more annoyed by the ones you need constantly like Arenaria. Never could seem to buy those fast enough.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

iirc it was defaulting to using mahakaman spirits

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Pretty sure my alchemy charges were always replenished by Mahakaman spirits, yeh

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a way of getting the attention of a high flying monster? Some kind of Draconid. Can't shoot high enough with the crossbow. It ignored the bait bolt too.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

re: alcohol choice on meditating it goes for the cheapest first and alcohest is the cheapest one.
There is a pc mod which switches it to using the alcohol you have the most of which is generally dwarven spirit. This doesn't help you on PS4 though, sorry, but now you know why.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/619

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Is there a way of getting the attention of a high flying monster? Some kind of Draconid. Can't shoot high enough with the crossbow. It ignored the bait bolt too.

tbh I never had a problem attracting flying creatures. I know there's one or two where you go thru a nearby cave and end up on a hillside. got a screenshot of the map loc?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

GUYS keep your POLITICS out of MY VIDEOGAMES

If you don't do videogames politics, videogames politics will do you !

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Kobal2 posted:

If you don't do videogames politics, videogames politics will do you !

Philippa Eilhart did nothing wrong :colbert:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

isk posted:

tbh I never had a problem attracting flying creatures. I know there's one or two where you go thru a nearby cave and end up on a hillside. got a screenshot of the map loc?

There was a mission with a fiend there beforehand.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

There's a high level witcher contract in that ruin, Missing Son, which you get from the notice board in Rannvaig. It's not a flying creature though. The one from your picture has probably wandered into the area from the nearby hills to the west I think. Or maybe it's the 'dragon' from the contract in Fyresdal to the south wandered too far north.
Basically there isn't usually a draconid flying over there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I did that mission earlier. When I was passing by I noticed something was circling in the air. It never left the keep.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Helith posted:

Philippa Eilhart did nothing wrong :colbert:

I'm still mad I couldn't put a crossbow bolt through her head.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
For such a sourpuss, her outfit is ridiculous.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

For such a sourpuss, her outfit is ridiculous.

It made me laugh a lot that every time I met a new sorceress in this game she would have some bizarrely gratuitous dress on that appears to defy gravity. I guess that's the sorceress uniform?

I have zero familiarity with the Witcher series before playing this game. I love all the sorceresses though. The mission you do with Philippa insulting you the whole way through was my absolute favourite, especially with Geralt's almost complete non-reactions.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

professor metis posted:

It made me laugh a lot that every time I met a new sorceress in this game she would have some bizarrely gratuitous dress on that appears to defy gravity. I guess that's the sorceress uniform?

After poopsocking the books, basically yeah.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rinkles posted:

There was a mission with a fiend there beforehand.

You got to run down in the flat scrubby area to the westish and northish around there a bit. I'm pretty sure that's where I lured it down

It took a bit of ranging around too, if I recall.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Boo, decoctions don't count towards Delayed Recovery.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Alright I need some qualitative opinions:

tl:dr: I need to finish this game {Git it dun} and will I miss too much by just beelining the B&W main quest and ignoring everything else? If so please outline which quests fall into the must-see category. Thanks.

I'm at the "find a Whight" stage of the main quest after speaking to Regis in the graveyard. I've done a bunch of sidequests but by no means all of them.

I started this trilogy about two years ago and played all three games over the space of about 8 months. When I got to the end of the main campaign I had such fatigue I shelved it indefinitely and only came back to it in earnest when quarantine started. I had tried to continue from where I left off but having forgotten everything about how the game worked I was having a hard time diving into HoS so decided to start the W3 main campaign from scratch.

I don't regret doing so. I gained a better understanding of the main characters and got to see a few slightly alternate ways things can play out even though the game is not as branching as it makes you feel it might be the first time you play it. Whatever. Point is, I just spent the last 2.5 months replaying this amazing game from the beginning and this time I made it all the way to having my villa in Toussaint being fully upgraded... but that fatigue is starting to settle in again. The time between play sessions is getting longer and longer and I refuse to start another game until I'm done with this one because I know I probably won't come back (this is how backlogs are made.)

So if I beeline the main quest and ignore the sidequests, what will I miss? Are there any must-see side-quests in B&W? I don't give a poo poo about getting all the Manticore or Ursine armour since I saw the cost and realised I didn't really need it anyway (I got the swords and the chest and now I'm skint again), and I don't give a poo poo about 100%ing all the ubisoft ?s on the map, but I don't want to miss any classic Witcher content like particularly funny or tragic quests, or ones that have me agonising over a decision.

Thoughts?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You absolutely need to do the quest Paper Chase.

Also do Equine Phantoms.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

You absolutely need to do the quest Paper Chase.

Also do Equine Phantoms.

Both of these are extremely important, especially the latter, yeah. All the sidequests are good and you should do them but if you must skip some, don't skip those.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One of my favorite lines in the game is when Vesemir refers to Yen as an “Emancipated Woman”. It’s just so drat on point for an observation by an old fashioned dude who finds her to be grating.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'll be sure to do those, and possibly more when I'm done, but you know when you're just done with a game? Usually I'd just drop it at this point but I really don't wanna do that with this one and at this stage I don't want to "take a break" because I'll never come back... so I'll see it through.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cactus posted:

I'll be sure to do those, and possibly more when I'm done, but you know when you're just done with a game? Usually I'd just drop it at this point but I really don't wanna do that with this one and at this stage I don't want to "take a break" because I'll never come back... so I'll see it through.

In all seriousness I know what you mean; this game is good but it is really long, and as good as all the quests are, there is a point where you hit a wall and go "another quest??" no matter how good you know it's probably going to be.

I hope cyberpunk is a little tighter

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

also:
ROACH STOP BEING A WEIRDO!!!

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
There can never be too many sidequests, I think, as long as you can do them after the main quest - it's nice to be able to come back and spend a short time doing a fun quest without having to remember anything about where you are in the game.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I'm good with lots of sidequests as long as they're interesting and rewarding in some way (which I'd say The Witcher III's generally are). If they're homogenous and repetitive, I tend to stay away. Even worse if they're that and necessary for level progression.

As a comparison point, I appreciate the technical and narrative skill that went into Assassin Creed Odyssey's infinite sidequest system, but I burned out on 'em real fast. Takes a special kind of world and reward system for me to want to keep doing those.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Oh dear me posted:

There can never be too many sidequests, I think, as long as you can do them after the main quest - it's nice to be able to come back and spend a short time doing a fun quest without having to remember anything about where you are in the game.

This is a really good point that I'd not even considered, the sidequests are like little short stories that usually don't really matter in terms of the main narritive, so it makes sense to complete the game first and do those afterwards.

I'm in-game now and I looked and I don't have paper chase or equine phantoms in my current or complete quests so I'm going to have to look them up to see where to get them because I've looked at all the notice boards and they haven't revealed themselves.

E: Wait no just found paper chase in the main city just sitting there. Those pink/red !s don't really stand out on the map!

Cactus fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Just popping in to say Hearts of Stone is cool as gently caress.

I'm inside a painting

Slowpoke! fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 22, 2020