Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Haha you can run into Yen's teleporter in Vizima as she enters it. Nothing much happens, you're just dumped a few feet away, but still neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I hate portals.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Wanna hear a limerick?

Lowtax, Lowtax, what a prick.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Helith posted:

Wanna hear a limerick?

That's the good poo poo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Helith posted:

Wanna hear a limerick?

Not bad

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What's a good way of growing your gwent collection early on?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Check every merchant for cards. Play everyone until you win (to get a random card). That's it I guess.. also it is not fun to pick up a gwent habit half way through the game, if you aim for completion.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Splorange posted:

Check every merchant for cards. Play everyone until you win (to get a random card). That's it I guess.. also it is not fun to pick up a gwent habit half way through the game, if you aim for completion.

I'm level 10. I started caring now because of the missable Baron card. Scouring for new opponents I can beat and cards on sale has been pretty unfun.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The Baron card isn't unmissable, if you miss the opportunities to play him it will be on his desk as a pick up.
Same goes for most cards where the character has various storyline outcomes, their card will be somewhere to just pick up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

But the quest! (IDK if that matters for anything)

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Rinkles posted:

But the quest! (IDK if that matters for anything)

Well.. I don't think it really matters that much. I suppose you could motivate it by preparing for the High stakes tournament. Though you don't need absolutely EVERYTHING to comfortably beat the opponents in that one... plus I think you can't finish your card collection without partaking in the tournament (someone will correct me on this).

Also, a buddy of mine just enjoyed roleplaying a roaming card player that occasionally offered his witcher services to further enable his gwent addiction.

You enjoy the game your way, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Do I have to get lucky to find hero cards, or do you get them differently?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Do I have to get lucky to find hero cards, or do you get them differently?

These are part of the location quests, so the baron card is one for example. I don't think any hero cards come off random merchants. I can't remember how you triggered each of the "gwent players" quests, I think the main quest line sort of naturally brought you into contact with the key players.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

The only missable cards are during the Novigrad storyline. Just make sure to play Gwent when you attend a party.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Just make sure to play Gwent when you attend a party at all times.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Early Gwent is pretty dire when you just have a basic deck. There's no shame and playing on easy until you get some good cards.

By the end with all the cards you can build a deck that will crush any and everything you face rather then relying on luck for a spy or a clear weather card.

I ended up taking Foltest 2 from start to finish because the weather clearing power is so insanely effective. Although I guess the AI doesn't realize when you keep stacking stuff in a area they cast Rain on it's because you know you're just gonna clear it anyways and easily win the round.

I played around with the other 4 decks but Northern Realms just appealed to me for whatever reason.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've seen the AI make some bizarre moves.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is igni firestream as bad as it seems? It seems rather situational, and not even that great in those situations. I would've liked it if at least you could use it before stamina is fully restored.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Rinkles posted:

Is igni firestream as bad as it seems? It seems rather situational, and not even that great in those situations. I would've liked it if at least you could use it before stamina is fully restored.

It was too good and was overnerfed - it used to set everything on fire quick, and fire dealt percentage damage allowing to kill even over-leveled creatures easily.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

The only good alt signs are yrden and quen. And quen makes the game ridiculously easy and unfun.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The only good alt signs are yrden and quen. And quen makes the game ridiculously easy and unfun.

Alt aard is good when you have your sign intensity up and especially once you have the freezing mutation.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The DLC skill stuff is only accessible at higher levels right? Not counting the new generic skills (like the one that makes food regenerate health for 20 minutes)

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Alt freezing Aard is amazing.

Rinkles posted:

The DLC skill stuff is only accessible at higher levels right? Not counting the new generic skills (like the one that makes food regenerate health for 20 minutes)

You need to do a quest. It sucks that you don't start with most of that stuff, because that content is basically at the end of the game.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rinkles posted:

If you're thinking of the mutations, you can access them as soon as you finish the quest that triggers the DLC's availability. You can skip the bandit fight, the first fight in Toussaint has AI companions that can do most of the damage for you so you just need to not get pancaked, then go straight to Beauclaire rather than proceeding the main quest and explore until a messenger boy brings you a letter from Yen or Triss, which starts the mutations quest (tipping him can help with the Lady of the Lake quest later). There's one genuinely hard fight against spectral panthers you'll have to abuse Quen a lot to finish, and some annoying fights against centipedes, but it's absolutely doable at below-suggested-level.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If you have it, Archgriffin decoction is good against high level enemies.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Getting into Gwent has me considering Thronebreaker. Recommended?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Yes it's good. It's not that much like Gwent in the games but it's cool and fun and digs into some more Witcher lore.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I liked Thronebreaker a lot, go play it!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Rinkles posted:

Make sure you don't miss the cards available in White Orchard: from the innkeeper, and from the guy who teaches you how to play.

Check general merchants for cards, particularly innkeepers. Never miss a chance to play gwent with any merchant you meet, if the option's available. A lot of the best cards in the game are random drops.

There are a ton of gwent players in Novigrad, so shop around the first time you have a good excuse to go there.

Don't worry about playing anything but Northern Realms for awhile. It's not unusual that you don't even have enough cards to put together a deck of anything else yet.

pentyne posted:

I ended up taking Foltest 2 from start to finish because the weather clearing power is so insanely effective.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The only missable cards are during the Novigrad storyline. Just make sure to play Gwent when you attend a party.
Also these.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also make sure to stop by Arnbjorn early when you visit Skellige because the inkeep owns the Thaler card which is one of the best spy cards in the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

God the Menge bit is so painful to get through

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Painful because it's intentionally uncomfortable or painful because that whole stretch of the Novigrad questline is a slog?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The intentional bit. But also yeah, I'd like to get to the dlc content as fast as possible, but Novigrad is pumping the brakes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I take it if I'm no longer getting random reward Gwent cards from regular opponents, that means I've got all the cards I can get outside of the quest opponents?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rinkles posted:

I take it if I'm no longer getting random reward Gwent cards from regular opponents, that means I've got all the cards I can get outside of the quest opponents?

Some can only be bought from vendors or inkeeps, so keep that in mind as well.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Rinkles posted:

Yes. If your reward is twine instead a card, they’re not going to cough up anymore cards later if you play them again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yes. If your reward is twine instead a card, they’re not going to cough up anymore cards later if you play them again.

I don't mean from the same person. That last few new opponents have given me nothing besides money.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Rinkles posted:

I don't mean from the same person. That last few new opponents have given me nothing besides money.

Then you probably have all the "random pool" cards, but you can always check the Miraculous Guide to Gwent. It'll show you how many cards you have left to get in each region, and it should have a slot for the random cards as well.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Speaking of Gwent...

I've been playing Witcher 3 for almost 90 hours now, and knowing nothing about Gwent, I've done everything I can to avoid it. I've found that most RPG mini-games run the gamut from Intolerable, to merely Extremely Dull.

I was forced to finally play a game as part of a quest, where I was playing for an NPC's life. I rolled my eyes, and braced myself for what was sure to be a drag, and... It was actually... Pretty fun? I thought, "oh, this is kinda like Magic cards. Neat!"

Now I'm scouring the continent, and slaughtering man or beast that gets in the way of me getting more cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Congratulations on starting to play the actual game.