Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, MSRP, so depending on how much control nV has over other manufacturers and how scummy retailers will get it might be higher for months.
Still, nV will release their founders edition cards at that price, and it looks like their cooling design will be pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I bought a 1080 about a year and a half ago, I think. I'm assuming that should still be okay for the Prettier Witcher version?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fritz the Horse posted:

I bought a 1080 about a year and a half ago, I think. I'm assuming that should still be okay for the Prettier Witcher version?

It won’t support Ray Stantz Tracing, but otherwise it should run the game fine.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Probably, but my guess would be it will look like regular W3 with some texture mod.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Halk Hogan is probably going "are you loving serious? Now?!" since they released the final version of the Witcher HD Reworked Project this year, only for CDPR to come out with the next-gen rerelease.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Well now I'm glad I put off my 4th playthrough, will be very happy to have the excuse of an upgrade.

I should be able to transfer my save for a NG+ into the upgraded version, right? I don't really know how these things work.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
I could not agree more that Blood and Wine is such a great end piece to the story. Felt so good to go and hang up my Witcher Gear in the stands under a painting of me

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
So, this is a question out of nowhere, but I'm reading in a bunch of guides that I should be able to buy Foltest: lord commander of the North gwent card from Bram or Elsa in White Orchard, but I can't? I'm looking at their inventories, and the card's just not there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dance Officer posted:

So, this is a question out of nowhere, but I'm reading in a bunch of guides that I should be able to buy Foltest: lord commander of the North gwent card from Bram or Elsa in White Orchard, but I can't? I'm looking at their inventories, and the card's just not there.

Have you played the professor who introduces you to Gwent yet? I thought that Gwent Cards don't spawn in until you play him and start the quest.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Have you played the professor who introduces you to Gwent yet? I thought that Gwent Cards don't spawn in until you play him and start the quest.

Yeah, I played the professor.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I sure hope it will be an optional and reversible update for the same reason.

It likely won't be a patch update and instead a completely new install. A diff patch would be monstrous huge since it would be upgrading the bulk of the game assets. Also, I imagine there will be a large PC base that's fine with the old version that will choke and die on the newer one.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 4, 2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wow really? I payed $650 for my 1070 four years ago. $700 for a card two generations newer and a tier higher is nuts.

Who and where did you buy that 1070 from? That's some serious price gouging there and four years ago was well before the cryptomining boom. I paid $440 for one in 2016.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
In Thronebreaker, I'm about halfway through Mahakam. How much more game do I have left?

Aside from the puzzles, I'm rolling through all the battles. I'm swimming in good cards, playing on the setting below the hardest. The puzzles themselves I don't have much patience for and increasingly resort to a walkthrough after a couple of attempts. Some of them have real lovely instructions and use cards that aren't clear what they do. One was straight up RNG bullshit and that's where I completely lost interest in trying.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

OhFunny posted:

Who and where did you buy that 1070 from? That's some serious price gouging there and four years ago was well before the cryptomining boom. I paid $440 for one in 2016.

I got it on Newegg. Must have missed a trick I guess.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Well, guess it's time for a replay after the new patch. I stopped at the beginning of Blood and Wine but it's been too long, gotta start a new game now

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Arcsquad12 posted:

I got it on Newegg. Must have missed a trick I guess.

I see now. You must have bought it from a third party seller who listed it on Newegg instead of from Newegg itself. Likely when Newegg had no inventory available.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

ZZZorcerer posted:

Well, guess it's time for a replay after the new patch. I stopped at the beginning of Blood and Wine but it's been too long, gotta start a new game now

We have no timeline. It might hit the new consoles launch timetable, or maybe later. I suspect they will take some time.
I wonder if that means Red Engine is so mature that dev work done on CP2077 could be easily leveraged to get W3 updated and they just went with it.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Look Sir Droids posted:

In Thronebreaker, I'm about halfway through Mahakam. How much more game do I have left?

Aside from the puzzles, I'm rolling through all the battles. I'm swimming in good cards, playing on the setting below the hardest. The puzzles themselves I don't have much patience for and increasingly resort to a walkthrough after a couple of attempts. Some of them have real lovely instructions and use cards that aren't clear what they do. One was straight up RNG bullshit and that's where I completely lost interest in trying.

You're about halfway through the game, there are two maps after Mahakam and they're roughly the same size.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I said just a little while ago that I'd never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever play this game again. I was burnt out.

Two years from now I'm going to be facing a news article breathlessly reporting how CDPR are about to rerelease the entire witcher trilogy in the new updated engine with redone voice acting and mo-capped scenes and all of the story threads have been redrawn so that the entire story is now in one package...

And not only that they've recreated all the books into an added bonus 15-hour playable campaign that is free for everyone that owns all the witcher games and cyberpunk (so, basically, everyone that counts as people worth seeing as human beings) and so I'm going to be sucked into playing this game again.

God damnit.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I’m so sorry you might convince yourself to replay a very good video game.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
At this point I'm resigned to the awful fate of replaying W3 and a first playthrough of Cyberpunk this winter. Maybe a new graphics card. It's gonna be rough.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ahahaha ... oh my god.

What happens when you glitch out Ciri and take her to the brothel in Novigrad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTQWKA6n7rc&t=171s

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ciralt/Gerilla is a frightening amalgam.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I'm at the last battle in Thronebreaker. Lost my first attempt pretty soundly and didn't have time for a retry, but I know enough to review.

-Game is balanced very badly. I played on Normal difficulty and trounced every opponent in standard or abbreviated normal battles my first time. I upgraded everything in my camp and probably had enough left over to upgrade it all over again. Then the difficulty curve spikes right at the end for the final battle.

-There are too many puzzle battles. Some that give you nothing but basic resources and I think one or two that legit gave me nothing at all. I would have preferred half as many as there were. They weren't good enough to merit "it's just more optional content."

-I don't think I'd put the time in to play again and get any more of the 23(?) endings in the game. Part of the game is canon, so it's not like you're really changing much (with the caveat I haven't gotten an ending yet). I assume it just changes how the characters end up. In this run I told Rayla to gently caress off after she murdered people, Turned Gabor over and they beheaded him, let Gascon and Odo stay after they betrayed me, and then had Gascon do the sneaky mission and he died.

-There are too many cards, especially too many trinket cards. And most of the trinket cards are bad or very situational. I know this is for the multiplayer version, but it doesn't do the singleplayer any favors.

-The Battle of the Bridge was kind of weak? It just happened and wasn't much harder than a normal battle. Pretty lame for the point the game that intersects with the books. I lost Geralt and Cahir and it didn't matter to the outcome at all. Also, I read Baptism of Fire not to long ago and I don't recall Meve knowing Geralt was a witcher. Or that he was THE, famous Geralt. She had no idea who he was. If she knew he was famous, she was know "of Rivia."

I don't regret buying it. Overall a decent game, but I didn't love this version of Gwent enough to do it again.

Edit: Finished. Yeah that last boss battle is pretty RNG, wait for a good draw. Artificial difficulty giving the boss two cheat cards to refill his hand. Wish the ending was just voice over and cutscene. I didn’t want to play any more easy as pie battles. Just narrate it.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 8, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So apparently Saber Interactive us working with CDPR on the visual update for Witcher 3. I'm super pumped for that because the overhaul they did for Halo 2 looks phenomenal.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

mcbexx posted:

Ahahaha ... oh my god.

What happens when you glitch out Ciri and take her to the brothel in Novigrad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTQWKA6n7rc&t=171s

Jesus christ, it looks like a Pillar Man.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm at the last battle in Thronebreaker. Lost my first attempt pretty soundly and didn't have time for a retry, but I know enough to review.

Yeah that last boss battle is pretty RNG, wait for a good draw. Artificial difficulty giving the boss two cheat cards to refill his hand. Wish the ending was just voice over and cutscene. I didn’t want to play any more easy as pie battles. Just narrate it.

Thronebreaker and MP gwent encourage building a deck around a specific theme, though in TB you have so much leeway and drawing power you can harness several at once.

The last battle was very easy, enough that your strategies from earlier would still work. Even the bread and butter soldiers and loyal spam would win. There's three strategies from the top of my head that break the last battle over their knees. One is using bomb throwers and spike traps on all their rows and letting Eyck getting powered up from the boss's damage dealing units. If you got the Reinforced Ballistas then you can keep the field clear until you run out of cards. Eyck alone can be worth anywhere between 300-700 points.

Second is using Lyrian Pathfinders, Drummers & Foragers to flood your side of the field with high power units and saving Isbel until the end to boost your power into the thousands.

Third is using Stray Infiltrators, Alchemists, Aretuza Adepts and Meve Warhammer/Angreni Blade to guarantee your draws and boost the living hell out of one row, it's a lot safer than using Isbel but a Mahakam Shieldbearer can solve that. If you really want, you could try and steal Bravehearts with Villem in conjunction with the latter deck because they're silly.

I liked using the trinkets though I felt like you couldn't go all out unless you thinned your deck so you drew them early for recycling; Gabor, Barnabas, Lyrian Blacksmiths, Blizzard and Mardroeme allow you to really faff around.

The bridge battle was a little underwhelming but the whole chapter was a slog, the bandit warlord fight was neat though.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

ZZZorcerer posted:

Exactly same.

I loaded up my most recent save and was like, "I have no idea what the gently caress." Sometimes it's nice to have a lovely memory, so things feel a bit more new again. :)
From looking at skills, my primary focus was on fast attack/light armor last time, with a scattering of everything else. I'll at least switch to heavy/heavy and...dunno...maybe focus more heavily on magic this time? I'll have to try some things I didn't last time and make up my mind...

This game looks so good still after that many years. Just amazing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Part of what I lived about finishing the main was I didn't have to deal with Dandelion's loving intro VO every time.

Now someone tell me why that pregame roll always plays for some loving reason...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mod it out. I'm pretty sure that Friendly HUD has an option to remove it.

Use Friendly HUD, it is excellent.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 14, 2020

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah I've had a mod remove the loading narrations the last couple of playthroughs.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
THE CURSE THAT HELD UMA PROVED HARD TO LIFT...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But geralt and the witchers of Kaer Morhen managed to do it.

Ol' Limber Legs
Nov 20, 2002

PLEASE KILL ME NOW
Whew.

I tried playing this game at release, didn’t have the system for it. Finally picked it back up in June... took me almost 3 months, but I finally finished the base game. I’m such a rube, I almost had a panic attack when Geralt told the emperor that Ciri was dead. A+, would get fooled by a Witcher again.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ol' Limber Legs posted:

Whew.

I tried playing this game at release, didn’t have the system for it. Finally picked it back up in June... took me almost 3 months, but I finally finished the base game. I’m such a rube, I almost had a panic attack when Geralt told the emperor that Ciri was dead. A+, would get fooled by a Witcher again.

read the books ftw

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
finally playing the game with a decentish card and holy gently caress is beatifull on high at 60 fps, hell im going to bump it up to ultra and enjoy it at 47 ish.

question i started new game+ and cant find areondight?

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 17, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zeta Acosta posted:

finally playing the game with a decentish card and holy gently caress is beatifull on high at 60 fps, hell im going to bump it up to ultra and enjoy it at 47 ish.

If you’re using hairworks, disable that first. That should give you back 20 or so frames.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Zeta Acosta posted:

Don't know about that, but you can add Aerondight with a console command if you want. It's additem('Aerondight EP2') or additem('Aerondight').

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Zeta Acosta posted:

Needs to be in your inventory in the save you import. If it's hanging up on a wall or in your stash(?) it won't import.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Needs to be in your inventory in the save you import. If it's hanging up on a wall or in your stash(?) it won't import.

I thought stash imported, but things hanging in your vineyard don't import.

Either way, the safest bet is to have it on you.