Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/1445357950827106316

Now that's a crossover I haven't thought about. I feel like the Thorgal universe would be as good of a fit for a Wticher 3-like game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Palpek posted:

https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/1445357950827106316

Now that's a crossover I haven't thought about. I feel like the Thorgal universe would be as good of a fit for a Wticher 3-like game.

What’s a Thorgal?

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
A Franco-Belgian fantasy adventure comic with elements of Norse mythology written by Jean Van Hamme and illustrated by Rosiński that started to come out in 70s. It's pretty popular in Europe. Personally I've never read it but I heard it's good

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, it's a comic series about a 10th century Viking (named Thorgal) set in an alternative universe where technologically advanced humans land on Earth and become praised as gods and all sorts of insane things happen because of that, there's also magic and supernatural characters.

Even with all that said it's still a somewhat grounded setting with politics and scenarios having a realistic vibe similarly to the Witcher. Thorgal is also a similar kind of outcast as Geralt but more because of his attitude towards autority where he won't take bullshit from anybody and will do the right thing in the end. Because the series is illustrated by a Polish artist since the 70's it's a cult series in Poland.

All kinds of comic-book spinoffs have also been produced over the years about young Thorgal, Thorgal's daughter (think someone supernatural like Ciri), one prominent Thorgal's lover (total Yen vibes but more evil) so the lore around the setting is deep.

From what I've seen the comics are available in English so if you have a chance to put your hands on the digital editions I really recommend it. The only caveat is that the series did get worse later on but the first I think 29 comic books which are considered a core (as they were all written by the original writer) are very good and tell a finished story.

EDIT: I see that it's on Izneo if somebody has a subscription. The right order of reading is to start with the special 0 issue (warning, oldschool illustration style, it gets way better though, I promise) and then continue with the numbered ones until volume 21 - that's the original 29th issue. Sure you can read afterwards but I can't promise the same writing quality (illustrations are still good though).

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 6, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m not really sure how to feel about Lady of the Lake just straight up crossing over to King Arthur-era medical times in like the first five minutes and Ciri being mistaken for The Lady of The Lake. Like, I know it’s in the title and all but I definitely didn’t expect it to play out anything like that. This poo poo is still great, I’m just bummed that it’s almost over.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Something that has vexed me for so long about this game are the number of cool swords that are out-leveled so fast, and will never be as good as the crafted witcher gear swords.

Daystar looks swish af, but it's instantly replaced by even the lowest level witcher set sword. There's absolutely zero incentive to hold onto any relic blades.

Speaking of daystar and swords that have a chance to inflict a status effect like burning, is it better to let the burn run its course to inflict as much damage as possible, or just start swinging away and treat the burn as a sort of interrupt? Same with igni. If I ever got it to light nerds on fire, I couldn't tell if it was better to let them burn, or get in a few good hits.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Use the mod No Levels. It makes it so all weapons have preset damage stats and max rolls on unique traits. Unique weapons like Daystar or Longclaw are actually viable alternatives to Witcher gear.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I am using that! Though the no levels lite mod. I can't remember the difference.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Uuggghhhh

https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/1450845753996455944

Not surprised there’s a delay but 9ish more months of waiting? drat

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
What are the dopeist relic weapons? Steel and silver. So far, with no levels, Longclaw appears to be the best steel sword, capping out at 286 damage.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

All the really dope relic weapons are in the expansions.

Edit: (I assume you haven't gotten to those yet)

Edit:

Without starting the expansions, there's the Ofieri saber (steel) that you can buy a diagram for, iirc. Good for crits. It also looks good.
The Negotiator (silver) is good for crits and has +chance to stun, which is very good against some monsters.

itry fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 26, 2021

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Fortaleza posted:

Uuggghhhh

Bummer. Well I've been waiting to start a Witcher 3 run and now I don't need to wait anymore.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

itry posted:

All the really dope relic weapons are in the expansions.

Edit: (I assume you haven't gotten to those yet)

Edit:

Without starting the expansions, there's the Ofieri saber (steel) that you can buy a diagram for, iirc. Good for crits. It also looks good.
The Negotiator (silver) is good for crits and has +chance to stun, which is very good against some monsters.

I have the expansions, and I can use the console to spawn those swords, though with the No Levels Lite mod, their damage is capped at 286, which I guess is the max damage while using this mod.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

lite_sleepr posted:

I have the expansions, and I can use the console to spawn those swords, though with the No Levels Lite mod, their damage is capped at 286, which I guess is the max damage while using this mod.

You don't have to start on the expansions' quest threads for those swords. I was assuming it's your first time through the game and still haven't played the expansions. (Edit: I don't know why I assumed that)

But if you just want to spawn w/e into your inventory...

q704 vampire silver sword
q702 vampire steel sword
EP2 Silver sword 2
Aerondight EP2
Olgierd Sabre

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

I am using that! Though the no levels lite mod. I can't remember the difference.

No levels includes a number of other changes, like reducing (though not eliminating) falling damage. If you also want to use a no falling damage mod for example you should use No Levels Lite. I think there is a list of the differences on the Nexus page.

I strongly recommend No Levels (or Lite if you want falling damage completely eliminated). It makes the game a lot more fun by reduicing the intrusiveness of the gear treadmill, and by allowing you top pursue quests as you find them. You will never have Nekkers hitting harder than Katakans.

Ol' Limber Legs
Nov 20, 2002

PLEASE KILL ME NOW

Fortaleza posted:

Uuggghhhh

I guess that settles it… might as well start my first NG+ run.

Are there any “must dos” to be all set up for NG+? I’ve only done one run through the game before and didn’t do everything. Most notably never really ever unlocked any of the runewright stuff. Other than that is there anything I really need to make sure to do?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Get as many recipes completed as possible. You have the resources and ability to knock them out easily at endgame. Having everything in the way of potions and decoctions already completed is the best part of ng+. Also make sure you have aerondight since it can scale with you. Grandmaster armors will last most of the way through ng+ as well.

Lastly, liquidate everything, the only things you keep are what you put in your stash, so sell everything you dont need, that way you can unlock the runewright faster in order to change out runewords.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Also complete the B&W mutation quest, if you haven't already.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Do the level caps on swords and armor go up in NG+, or are all items throughout NG and NG+ set at a determined level?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

lite_sleepr posted:

Do the level caps on swords and armor go up in NG+, or are all items throughout NG and NG+ set at a determined level?

Yes, NG+ stuff is upleveled

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJFVV2L8GKs

Looks like Geralt stumbled across that wandering level 20 leshen down by the Reardon Manor.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Looking forward to a whole episode that's just him setting the leshen on fire and running away, rinse repeat.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m not sure if it’s my absolute favorite moment in this series, but the part in Lady of the Lake (spoilers)where you’re all set up to think something terrible is gonna happen to the halfling family accosted from the bandits only for them to just loving devastate the bandits was a pretty hilarious subversion of expectations, it’s mentioned before that halflings are pretty fast but I wasn’t expecting the family of hobbits to just go Geralt on some brigands.

Also genuinely kinda taken off guard that Poor loving Infantry was like, a thing too and not just a lovely earlygame card based on nothing in particular.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJFVV2L8GKs

Looks like Geralt stumbled across that wandering level 20 leshen down by the Reardon Manor.

Why do Geralt's eyes turn black in the show?

The show looks dumb. Like a GoT clone.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

lite_sleepr posted:

Why do Geralt's eyes turn black in the show?

The show looks dumb. Like a GoT clone.
He can activate WitcherVision. So his pupils dilate, time slows. And his senses get 5x heightened. But he can only do it 2x a day.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

He can activate WitcherVision. So his pupils dilate, time slows. And his senses get 5x heightened.But he can only do it 2x a day.

Idiot is not running an Alchemy build.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

FilthyImp posted:

He can activate WitcherVision. So his pupils dilate, time slows. And his senses get 5x heightened. But he can only do it 2x a day.

Sounds like some DnD poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

lite_sleepr posted:

Sounds like some DnD poo poo.
You should see the Alchemy poo poo.

Geraldo was hunting a Lesshen and went into Alechemy mode and it looked like something out of Sherlock with monster diagrams and text and formulae while his eyes glowed yellow

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I finished Lady of the Lake. It was one of the best fantasy stories I’ve ever read. This series in general is outstanding.

I wonder how I’ll feel about replaying Witcher 3 now. Some of the mystique of being shoved into the rear end end of Geralt’s adventures with people constantly popping up is gonna be lost, but I’ll appreciate getting to see all the references to my old friends again.

Also, the game kind of feels unfaithful to the Geralt/Yennifer dynamic, cause they’ve mostly figured their poo poo out by Book 7. Imho the next Witcher game (if they ever make one) should just be an alternate retelling where Ciri goes on adventures through different dimensions.

Great books, 9/10, kinda wanna boot up Blood And Wine but i know they put in little nods to the rest of Geralt’s crew and for some weird reason I doubt they survived the whole Vigelfortz thing. It’s gonna hurt too much meeting Milva’s suitor. Also playing some of Blood and Wine spoiled Regis’ “death” but it still hit kinda hard knowing his addiction ultimately killed him in the books. :(

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Last Celebration posted:

Also playing some of Blood and Wine spoiled Regis’ “death” but it still hit kinda hard knowing his addiction ultimately killed him in the books. :(

I've never looked at it like that. Partly because what killed him was Vilgefortz frying him to death, lol. But I thought Geralt's party dying was more about them sacrificing themselves for him and Ciri, and also Sapkowski doing whatever he could have to rob us of a happy ending, goddamn him :argh:

Speaking as someone who played all games after reading the books, I found most references annoying than clever, tbh, but I think I'm in the minority. Not to mention that the games are not just a sequel but also an adaptation of sorts, meaning that the characters are relieving certain things like they're living in a loop or something. There's an existential horror somewhere in there

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

macabresca posted:

I've never looked at it like that. Partly because what killed him was Vilgefortz frying him to death, lol. But I thought Geralt's party dying was more about them sacrificing themselves for him and Ciri, and also Sapkowski doing whatever he could have to rob us of a happy ending, goddamn him :argh:

Speaking as someone who played all games after reading the books, I found most references annoying than clever, tbh, but I think I'm in the minority. Not to mention that the games are not just a sequel but also an adaptation of sorts, meaning that the characters are relieving certain things like they're living in a loop or something. There's an existential horror somewhere in there

i guess it’s partly subjective but iirc Regis went straight for the neck instead of going for the kill properly after doing the recovering alcoholic equivalent of having his first drink after ten years sober because he ran into a bar where all the taps were broken and flowing onto the ground and he just had to have a drink/do a cool vampire fatality after his first one. If he’d just crushed his skull instead of going for a drink it probably would have gone the way it should have.

Also something im kinda confused on is how people think Triss was written unfaithfully. Like I assume I’m missing some stuff from W2 but it never feels like she stops pining over her (ex?) best friend’s boyfriend.

On a lighter note, it was already kind of funny when I met Little Weasel in Blood and Wine and she both asked about her ex and wished death upon him but it’s kind of hilarious now knowing it was a whole thing where they kept dragging him out to get executed and rescinding the the execution at the last minute. Dandelion is the worst/best.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Yeah, I see your point. I don't know the specifics of vampires' art of war though, I guess I assumed that him going for a neck is going for a kill. But yeah, in a symbolic way what you said makes sense

As for Triss, what do you mean by 'unfaithfully'? That she was acting out of character or something else?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’ve just heard people say that doing what she did in the games was out of character for her, like specifically the taking advantage of amnesiac Geralt. Or stuff along the lines of her not being too faithful to her book self

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Last Celebration posted:

I’ve just heard people say that doing what she did in the games was out of character for her, like specifically the taking advantage of amnesiac Geralt. Or stuff along the lines of her not being too faithful to her book self

IMO you just have to disregard bits of the earlier games because all the other characters from Geralt's past should also have been able to clue him in about everything in Witcher 1 / 2, and it should be a bigger point of contention between Triss / Geralt and Triss / Yennifer if she intentionally deceived him. They leave Triss's whole deal ambiguous in W3 but ultimately it's just a retcon.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
She was quite out of character in witcher 1 because she was basically Yennefer in that game, less so in witcher 2. But yeah, what Randallteal said, characterization is pretty inconsistent between all 3 games and imo there's no point in reading too much into that

Anyway, I came back to Blood and Wine after 3 months break, felt a little disoriented, then did a quest about stolen balls and felt right at home.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

I finished Lady of the Lake. It was one of the best fantasy stories I’ve ever read. This series in general is outstanding.

I wonder how I’ll feel about replaying Witcher 3 now. Some of the mystique of being shoved into the rear end end of Geralt’s adventures with people constantly popping up is gonna be lost, but I’ll appreciate getting to see all the references to my old friends again.

Also, the game kind of feels unfaithful to the Geralt/Yennifer dynamic, cause they’ve mostly figured their poo poo out by Book 7. Imho the next Witcher game (if they ever make one) should just be an alternate retelling where Ciri goes on adventures through different dimensions.

Great books, 9/10, kinda wanna boot up Blood And Wine but i know they put in little nods to the rest of Geralt’s crew and for some weird reason I doubt they survived the whole Vigelfortz thing. It’s gonna hurt too much meeting Milva’s suitor. Also playing some of Blood and Wine spoiled Regis’ “death” but it still hit kinda hard knowing his addiction ultimately killed him in the books. :(

ultimately, blood & wine is the only part of the games that actually felt like a sequel to the books

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

ultimately, blood & wine is the only part of the games that actually felt like a sequel to the books

Really? the part of the game where you get into an insult fight with a guy named Guybrush is the one that feels most faithful to the books

or the part where you go on an extended Asterix & Obelix chase

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah, I can see it as well. Witcher 3, despite being theoretically a sequel, ultimately just retreads the story of the Witcher books in a new medium, with similar (and often exactly same!) actors, events, themes and even conclusions. It's great adaptation, but I can see how, from book-reader perspective, it doesn't really offer anything new. Blood & Wine is an epilogue for Witcher 3 and thus, due to all the similarities, also feels like an epilogue to Witcher books. Like, you could place Blood & Wine right after the ending of Lady of the Lake and it would work pretty well (with a few hand-waves, like the whole death of Geralt and Yennfer thing :v:, obviously)

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Aaaaand now I did a quest about bureacracy hell. This expansion is so goofy :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, I can see it as well. Witcher 3, despite being theoretically a sequel, ultimately just retreads the story of the Witcher books in a new medium, with similar (and often exactly same!) actors, events, themes and even conclusions. It's great adaptation, but I can see how, from book-reader perspective, it doesn't really offer anything new. Blood & Wine is an epilogue for Witcher 3 and thus, due to all the similarities, also feels like an epilogue to Witcher books. Like, you could place Blood & Wine right after the ending of Lady of the Lake and it would work pretty well (with a few hand-waves, like the whole death of Geralt and Yennfer thing :v:, obviously)

yep

HenryEx posted:

Really? the part of the game where you get into an insult fight with a guy named Guybrush is the one that feels most faithful to the books

or the part where you go on an extended Asterix & Obelix chase

er…..yes. the books are full of wacky poo poo like that