Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

chaosapiant posted:

Was it the part where you follow the dwarfs into battle and they get murdered?

I did all the stuff with the dwarves, then saw Radovid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
What point is the quest failing at? Are there still unfinished bits in Novigrad when you go to Oxenfurt to talk to Radovid?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So there's two ways to do the quest to find Whoreson Junior. The first quest, Get Junior, has you infiltrate a gambling den and then an underground fighting pit to see if Jr is there. The alternative of this quest, Gangs of Novigrad, has you and a bunch of Dwarfs going on a killing spree at the two locations. If you go with the Dwarfs to the gambling den you can assault the location. Going to the fighting pit later the guards will recognize you, but you can use Axii to get in and continue with Get Jr.

Since you only do half the quest for the Dwarfs you only get half the reward, but Gangs of Novigrad doesn't fail, sitting in your quest log, taunting you...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Since you only do half the quest for the Dwarfs you only get half the reward, but Gangs of Novigrad doesn't fail, sitting in your quest log, taunting you...

The worst possible outcome to any quest.

Also, I've run out of Gwent players in Velen. gently caress this game.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Skippy McPants posted:

Just don't like missing content once I've committed to a 100+ hour game.

I quit playing Tyranny on the spot when I got to the halfway point and found out I could only do two of the three major zones. Cannot remember a time something in a game pissed me off as bad as that did.

u need a therapist

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

So there's two ways to do the quest to find Whoreson Junior. The first quest, Get Junior, has you infiltrate a gambling den and then an underground fighting pit to see if Jr is there. The alternative of this quest, Gangs of Novigrad, has you and a bunch of Dwarfs going on a killing spree at the two locations. If you go with the Dwarfs to the gambling den you can assault the location. Going to the fighting pit later the guards will recognize you, but you can use Axii to get in and continue with Get Jr.

So no meeting up with the dwarves outside the fighting pit?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Servetus posted:

So no meeting up with the dwarves outside the fighting pit?

Exactly. Instead of meeting the Dwarfs nearby you just go to the pit on your own. Make sure you do the gambling den first because going to the pit will push the story forward regardless of which of the two quests you're doing

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Exactly. Instead of meeting the Dwarfs nearby you just go to the pit on your own. Make sure you do the gambling den first because going to the pit will push the story forward regardless of which of the two quests you're doing

I always help the dwarves at both locations. I've never had problems with the quest resolving.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Servetus posted:

What point is the quest failing at? Are there still unfinished bits in Novigrad when you go to Oxenfurt to talk to Radovid?

Probably! I remember completing it once, but like most times I'm just trying to get through this "rescue Dandelion" stretch which is the weakest part of the game for me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't remember all the details, but I felt like all the stuff where you're just walking between conversations with gang leaders, sometimes being attacked by 3-4 trash mobs in between, was the weakest part of the game.

Well, actually, the weakest would be if you actually try to clear all the ?s in Skellige, just endlessly fighting sirens.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’ve actually never been to the fighting pit or done any of that on three playthroughs but i always get whoreson jrs rear end

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, actually, the weakest would be if you actually try to clear all the ?s in Skellige, just endlessly fighting sirens.

Is there any incentive for that stuff? Like, no joking, there’s lots of swag that’s pretty superfluous once you get a build going and don’t really need extra money or crafting items, but I’d still go after it just for the little mini-stories sometimes tied to the scavenger hunts, but afaik every single one of those horribly ill-conceived quests are just loot without a story

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Last Celebration posted:

Is there any incentive for that stuff? Like, no joking, there’s lots of swag that’s pretty superfluous once you get a build going and don’t really need extra money or crafting items, but I’d still go after it just for the little mini-stories sometimes tied to the scavenger hunts, but afaik every single one of those horribly ill-conceived quests are just loot without a story

which stuff? the Skellige POIs?

No there is no incentive. They seem to have been an afterthought or a holdover from when more content was there. there only purpose is as a source of cash if you blow it all too early on something.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Some of the Skellige ?s are little set pieces that tell a story without any dialogue, those are pretty neat

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The POI's in the Skellige ocean weren't originally supposed to be POI's but just little secrets while you sailed around.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
The soundtrack in skellige is so good so it's really easy for me to just blow 40 hours goofing around the islands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgpp67tMui8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0q-cQrlreA

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

u need a therapist

Well, sure, but not for anything related to video games.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Okay, this is a good game:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't remember all the details, but I felt like all the stuff where you're just walking between conversations with gang leaders, sometimes being attacked by 3-4 trash mobs in between, was the weakest part of the game.

It's one of the silly parts, where I begin to wonder what special properties in the water transform my crossbow from a weak replacement for Aard for knocking fliers out of the sky into a deadly weapon on par with my swords...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Was Toussaint seriously all added in a DLC? Looking at the map, it's like 1/3rd the size of the rest of the game.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Skippy McPants posted:

Was Toussaint seriously all added in a DLC? Looking at the map, it's like 1/3rd the size of the rest of the game.

Yea its really an expansion, Heart of Stone feels like appropriately sized to be called a DLC. Blood and Wine was 2x the price of Heart of Stone but I still feel like its 4-5x the content. Heart of Stone is solid too though

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

It's one of the silly parts, where I begin to wonder what special properties in the water transform my crossbow from a weak replacement for Aard for knocking fliers out of the sky into a deadly weapon on par with my swords...

None of the sea-dwellers expect to get shot with a crossbow underwater, I just imagine they all die of surprise after one hit.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They did a really good job with the contract side quests. I did not expect the game to turn into CSI: Medieval with Geralt narrating crime scenes like a dime-store detective.

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021
Yeah this is a good video game. With the exception of the question marks on the map, most quests have something to them- a quirky character, a moral choice, some ‘man’s inhumanity to man’ world building stuff. It’s great.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Skippy McPants posted:

I've played full length AAA games that took less time, with less content than B&W. It's very impressive how much they did with it.

Last Celebration posted:

The only reason I can see is if you want to get all of the Witcher gear sets to their highest level. When you get your own winery in Toussaint, you get a bunch of armor/weapon stands to show off. If that matters to you, sure. Otherwise, nah.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah even though mechanically, a lot of the sidequests/contracts get a little formulaic, they're always a treat because they're full of personality. I like the "Geralt grumbling to himself" thing as an exposition tool, it makes perfect sense; Geralt's 150 years old and has been doing this his whole life, so it tracks that he knows all this stuff already, and it makes sense that he'd talk to himself, because he presumably spends a lot of time on the path alone. Hell, i do it when I'm working, and my job's boring as poo poo

Cyberpunk gigs don't quiiiite scratch the same itch for me; they get close, there is a lot of world-building and personality contained in them too if you take the time to pay attention, but I think the thing that the witcher does that makes it work better is that Geralt usually has to accept the contract from the person who's issuing it; talking to a wider variety of people and hearing about their problems directly (and experiencing the variety of attitudes that the locals have toward witchers) is so much more interesting than getting 12 phone calls from the same fixer every time you park your car at the job site. Though I do have to give credit to CP for making the gigs more open-ended in terms of how you accomplish them from a gameplay perspective, I feel like a lot of the witcher ones are mostly just following the breadcrumbs and looking for the glowing things until you fight a monster. The writing and storytelling along the way is brilliant enough that this never really got boring to me, but I appreciate how CP is generally more akin to the OG Deus Ex approach of level design, where most of the gigs are sort of a playground where you can use the tools you've chosen to navigate the level however you like.

Maybe the next game will be the best of both worlds, but tbh even if it's just W3 again I'll buy it and play it at least three times

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Thinking about a new playthrough when the PS5 version of W3 is released and wondering how viable it is to do Skellige first. I feel like it has the weakest sidequests (I think it's the only spot in the game where they give you Skyrim style "please clear those monsters out of the mine!" contracts that don't have a clever twist to them) so it would be interesting to get it out of the way early on, but I usually play on Death March and I could see that just being tedious.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Maybe the next game will be the best of both worlds, but tbh even if it's just W3 again I'll buy it and play it at least three times

I agree about the gigs in Cyberpunk that they felt thin in comparison. Still better than your average event in an open-world game, but Witcher 3 so far has done a remarkable job characterizing Geralt by a few lines tossed in during the busywork.

Another on the list of reasons I hadn't played the Witcher 2/3 up till now is that I didn't really like Geralt in Witcher 1/2. He comes across as an edgy taciturn ubermensch. The kind of sophomoric wish-fulfillment protagonist that swamps modern gaming. He is still that in Wither 3 as well, but the game does a good job sanding down some of that edgy by also portraying him as a grumpy old man with limited social grace.

He sounds and acts a lot more like a guy who's spent a century wandering around the woods, solving mysteries, and fighting monsters. Kind of like a nomadic Columbo.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 29, 2022

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

Thinking about a new playthrough when the PS5 version of W3 is released and wondering how viable it is to do Skellige first. I feel like it has the weakest sidequests (I think it's the only spot in the game where they give you Skyrim style "please clear those monsters out of the mine!" contracts that don't have a clever twist to them) so it would be interesting to get it out of the way early on, but I usually play on Death March and I could see that just being tedious.

I usually get a mod that just removes the red skull stat boosts and do it first. The main quest is a lot less disjointed with Skellige first, you don't have the major time sink that is Novigrad before it and you immediately follow up on Ciri's trail to Vellen, rather than awkwardly remembering Uma exists with information from a cutscene Geralt wouldn't really have been able to glean.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I LOVE the Novigrad quests. Looking for Dandelion and meeting all kinds of cool character, a few of which were in the books. I just like the ping-pinging city-tour feel of that whole segment.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah even though mechanically, a lot of the sidequests/contracts get a little formulaic, they're always a treat because they're full of personality. I like the "Geralt grumbling to himself" thing as an exposition tool, it makes perfect sense; Geralt's 150 years old and has been doing this his whole life, so it tracks that he knows all this stuff already, and it makes sense that he'd talk to himself, because he presumably spends a lot of time on the path alone. Hell, i do it when I'm working, and my job's boring as poo poo

Iirc the books (or at least one short story) made it so when Geralt's talking to himself, he's talking to Roach (or maybe the other way around, really). I like the idea of Roach being Geralt's silent investigation partner and I wish there was more of that in the game other than The Roach Quest

Wolfsheim posted:

I remember really liking many quests on Skellige. Possession, The Cave of Dreams, the one with the lighthouse, In the Heart of the Woods, Skellige's Most Wanted... now that I started looking for the names I remembered a bunch more. ?s were terrible there, but the solid land had some good content

Skippy McPants posted:

Another on the list of reasons I hadn't played the Witcher 2/3 up till now is that I didn't really like Geralt in Witcher 1/2. He comes across as an edgy taciturn ubermensch. The kind of sophomoric wish-fulfillment protagonist that swamp modern gaming. He is still that in Wither 3 as well, but the game does a good job sanding down some of that edgy by also portraying him as a grumpy old man with limited social grace.

My (almost) first thought after starting to play W3 was "Oh, they finally figured out how to make him hot". And it's not just that he looks nicer than in previous games, there are some quests with a sole purpose of making Geralt goof around, most of them in Toussaint, but there's also The Play's the Thing in Novigrad and all of these instances where someone drags Geralt to a party and makes him wear fancy clothes. All of these make him so much more likeable and endearing than the previous games. I quite liked W1 Geralt but was disappointed by many things in W2 and 3 really improved on all accounts

And there is some great voice acting where Geralt suddenly sounds out of character. Like Dead Man's Party in Hearts of Stone :laffo:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The only time sidequests bothered me for being "formulaic" were the ones with big dark twists that I could see from a mile away. Like the quest where you hear about a missing person and go to a empty town with nobody there but a weird old couple, and I complained out loud the whole way through about how I was sick of this quest because I had seen it in so many games already. Maybe I have an extra aversion against cannibalism as well.

I'll give them that at least they tried adding some extra nuance and justification to it, but then there were also at least two other cannibalism twists in Witcher 3 that were alternately more crazy and respected you enough to connect the dots on your own.

I feel like a lot of games have tried to directly take the way that Witcher 3 did detective sidequests but never manage to seem anywhere near as nuanced or dynamic; they just lead you by the nose instead of letting you feel like you're close to the detective work.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Speaking of the game respecting your intelligence, I will never not laugh at the line in B+W when Regis tries to explain that what's her name is a vampire, and Geralt cuts him off with "yeah, figured that out already" because the game had been beating you over the head with hints the whole time

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Can't remember the last time an RPG had this many fun and interesting threads for me to follow... maybe Baldur's Gate 2?

I keep getting side-tracked by equally fascinating intrigues. Really wish more games invested so much in good plot and character writing.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The side quest quality is really one of the defining things of the game for sure.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm on The Play's The Thing, 92 hrs in, level 17. About what percent into the main story would you say I am? Not counting the expansions.

Also, does this theatre guy really need 50 bucks for a ticket, I jumped the map around the objective circle but didn't notice a way to sneak in.

I'm using a mix of Griffin and Feline gear by the way, a catbird!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Leveling is slow in this game but then again my rpg repertoire is limited to dragon quest and diablo so idk what is considered normal

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm on The Play's The Thing, 92 hrs in, level 17. About what percent into the main story would you say I am? Not counting the expansions.

Also, does this theatre guy really need 50 bucks for a ticket, I jumped the map around the objective circle but didn't notice a way to sneak in.

It depends on how much of the Baron and Skellige's questline you've done, all of those together are about 60% of the game

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Heavy Metal posted:

you are playing on the slow, relaxed side, which is absolutely fine, but its a bit tough to tell exactly where you are, what is the most recent major story beat you did?

to clarify, a person playing relatively quickly and not being completionist will finish at ~100hrs, +- 10. A completionist is more like 120-130.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Let's see, I am finished with the Bloody Baron, but I haven't done Skellige yet. Done a lot of map exploring and side quest stuff. It looks like I'm less than halfway through, so maybe looking at a 200+ hr game for me.

On the Puffin bit just now, oh my. They say "There's no use talking to that lot." , Geralt goes... "I'm not a great talker anyway." :coolspot: