Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I always tell her no thanks I don't want no strange, mostly because she's such transparent manipulator. But Geralt is impressively stupid so out cold he goes anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how Countess Mignole is voiced by Denise Gough. It's a subtle way to suggest that she was the Yennefer to Vesemir.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What do adrenaline points actually do? I spent my entire last playthrough hopped up on so many potions that most other details of combat escaped me entirely. Also, how viable is something like a full magic build?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I have no idea

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

YggiDee posted:

What do adrenaline points actually do? I spent my entire last playthrough hopped up on so many potions that most other details of combat escaped me entirely. Also, how viable is something like a full magic build?

Mage Geralt is definitely viable, mostly because the right way to play is whatever is fun and if signs are not quite killing dudes just drop the difficulty and go "lmao" as you rip dudes apart with Aard. But also there are builds you can look up.

its been a couple years now since my last playthrough, so forgive any lapses.

Adrenaline points function as a separate resource for casting signs or executing abilities, independent of stamina. Lots of people never actually use them much because if you are using medium armor and the medium armor skill that massively bumps stamina regen, you just dont need them. You get bonus damage for catch one you have. So the longer you fight, the more damage geralt does.

AP are generated via combat initially only by sword attacks, but there are skills that allow signs to do it too, which ties into Mage Geralt. There are a few skills in the combat tree that either help you generate AP faster or consume them to do something. There are also a few gold skills the modify them, notably one that allows them to be consumed to cast signs.

The upshot of this is you can spec very heavily into the alchemy and combat trees, and wear heavy armor, yet still cast signs, if you choose. So you can have poo poo stamina regen, but still toss out yrden as needed for ghosts, or quen to deal with tougher fights. That build would for instance be heavy attack focuses, wear bear armor, and use a lot of alchemy. You save stamina for the heavy charged attack that i forget the name of, and stack the heath and AP gen bonuses from your armor with the skills you take.

The other impact is by using the AP casts signs skill and the one that lets signs generate AP, you can cast even more signs.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Reaching the coda of my 10th playthrough and I still don’t know what adrenaline points do

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I just spent so much time hurling bombs last time that it occurred to me that I could cut out the middleman and set people on fire with my mind

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

YggiDee posted:

Other folks have commented on full magic build, it works fine.

IIIRC adrenaline doesn't do anything by itself, you have to spec into abilities that buff you based on your number of adrenaline points or allow you to spend adrenaline for stuff.

Heavy armor tends to have a lot of +adrenaline gain, I found adrenaline points most useful with heavy armor builds. Your stamina regen is slowed so being able to cast Signs with adrenaline points is nice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One of my favourite builds involves using the skill that lets you use adrenaline for stamina actions, the stamina regen skill for medium armour and then getting the armour rune that makes worn equipment medium armour. Pop that rune on the bear armour and you get massive adrenaline point gains while also having huge stamina regen. You can whirl for nearly fifteen seconds uninterrupted.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Adrenaline points do have an effect even at level 1. It's not super obvious, but the first row of skills in each tree are all actually skills you already have and are always active. iirc each point of adrenaline stacks 8% attack power. A skill in general changes the core skill to be either 8% crit chance or crit damage, I can't remember.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Adrenaline natively gives you a small damage increase per point. You gain it for hitting poo poo and very slowly lose it over time. Several skills interact with it in different ways that are described under the skill involved. That's really it.

In W3 at least, in w2 they acted like limit breaks and let you do things like cast the Heliotrope sign, use finishers on full health enemies, or gain huge regen and damage. I think I preferred w2's use of them as capstone skills but W3 certainly has some neat, flexible builds you can make. It's mostly limited by only having a few active skill slots and I often don't feel like I can justify spending one on those skills.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
What lighting and/or weather mods do you guys prefer? Just starting a new game with STLM which looks great, I just added Realistic Weather, but tbh I'm not actually sure how stlm plays with weather mods

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

What lighting and/or weather mods do you guys prefer? Just starting a new game with STLM which looks great, I just added Realistic Weather, but tbh I'm not actually sure how stlm plays with weather mods

None, the game still looks gorgeous by default.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The wind effect in vanilla is kinda buggy. I think they left it in because it's not too over the top, and a lot of people didn't seem to notice. I did notice and this fixes it. I don't how it will play with that other weather mod but you can probably merge them with the script merger.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1853

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Are there any good sources for detailed mechanics info on this game? For such a popular game, It seems really hard to find crunchy stuff, like the exact way adrenaline gain works.

I’m playing ghost mode and trying to figure out the value of certain talents, like the one that builds adrenaline when you cast a sign, is really hard because I can’t figure out how much adrenaline you build in the first place.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Are there any good sources for detailed mechanics info on this game? For such a popular game, It seems really hard to find crunchy stuff, like the exact way adrenaline gain works.

I’m playing ghost mode and trying to figure out the value of certain talents, like the one that builds adrenaline when you cast a sign, is really hard because I can’t figure out how much adrenaline you build in the first place.

I think people were talking about this really recently. Somewhere in the past 10 pages there's an answer.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The wind effect in vanilla is kinda buggy. I think they left it in because it's not too over the top, and a lot of people didn't seem to notice. I did notice and this fixes it. I don't how it will play with that other weather mod but you can probably merge them with the script merger.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1853

Yeah this was literally the first mod i installed when i got the game on PC. the wind CAN be that intense but you'd be just chilling on a sunny day in a cutscene an the trees look like they are fighting for their lives.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I think people were talking about this really recently. Somewhere in the past 10 pages there's an answer.

People were talking about what adrenaline does on this page, but I know that already. I want crunchier information. How much do you gain per swing, etc, so I can think about minmaxing.

I’d love a detailed breakdown of when geralt does which sword attack, too, so I felt like I had a little more control over the combat. Or answers to very specific questions like “How does flood of anger interact with the replenishment rune word.” Generally I don’t know if there is a good source for very detailed information on game mechanics.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

while i understand your desire, i think this hits on why there is a group of people who always find something off about W3's combat. I do not know if that info is available, and i do not think there is any way to control which animation geralt does during attack combos. if that info is a available, I don't know where it is, because i stopped worrying about it a long time ago. unless you are tossing the difficulty so high up in ghost mode that geralt is a true glass cannon, it just simply does not matter. The game is only hard on death march until like level 16, and then it just tilts entirely towards the player. that level of min maxing simply is not required.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Heithinn Grasida posted:

People were talking about what adrenaline does on this page, but I know that already. I want crunchier information. How much do you gain per swing, etc, so I can think about minmaxing.

I’d love a detailed breakdown of when geralt does which sword attack, too, so I felt like I had a little more control over the combat. Or answers to very specific questions like “How does flood of anger interact with the replenishment rune word.” Generally I don’t know if there is a good source for very detailed information on game mechanics.

lol it was this page. I don't think there is. At least in all my time playing this game I've never come across anything like that. Mostly because it just isn't the kind of game where you need to do it.

If you really really need the information your best bet would be to download the mod tools and see if you can find the raw data in the files. If you can contact the author of the ghost mode mod they'd probably be able to tell you which files to look in.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only lighting mod I use is one that removes the yellow filter from Toussaint. Makes such a nice, crisper image.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

For Ghost Mode mod you get more adrenaline if you use heavy armor (supposedly, haven't used any heavy armor yet) and heavy attacks.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Is there a mod which stops Geralt's hair from blowing in the wind when he's inside?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

macabresca posted:

Is there a mod which stops Geralt's hair from blowing in the wind when he's inside?

It doesn't fix it entirely but there's a mod called enhanced hair works (I think?) that has an optional file called reduced collision spheres. It gives the hair more weight so it sits better on his head and doesn't flare out or blow as much from wind effects.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

macabresca posted:

turning off hairworks basically

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

macabresca posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2825

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

:thatsrad:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think innkeepers should have a cooking interface the same way you can do crafting at blacksmiths. Like, Geralt is running around eating raw meat and uncooked potatoes and pepper. He can make fire come out of his hands. At least sear the loving meat, man.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

YggiDee posted:

I think innkeepers should have a cooking interface the same way you can do crafting at blacksmiths. Like, Geralt is running around eating raw meat and uncooked potatoes and pepper. He can make fire come out of his hands. At least sear the loving meat, man.

Is being able to just bake your potatoes anywhere a mod thing?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I mean there's probably a cooking mod or something out there. I'm playing on the Switch though so it's just raw meat all day every day.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Cooking would legit be more fun than crafting. Give me a whole rear end side quest chain where I use bear fat and drake meat to become the best chef ever, like no one ever was.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

In Blood and Wine when you do some quests that are part of a statue being built there are little scenes of geralt and roach on the side of the road, little campsite with geralt enjoying some sort of brew. Would be sweet if that were a part of the game, how you cooked and made potions n’ stuff.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Last Celebration posted:

Cooking would legit be more fun than crafting. Give me a whole rear end side quest chain where I use bear fat and drake meat to become the best chef ever, like no one ever was.

There's a cooking quest in Kaer Morhen that was cut but is still in the game.

"addfact(q401_cooking_enabled)"

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm imagining a complicated Novigrad quest chain where Geralt is helping someone with a fancy-rear end cookbook (this is somehow Dandelion's fault) and the earlier parts you just learn baked potatoes recipes and some nice soups and in the later stages you're figuring out which parts of a basilisk are edible and what nightmarish concoctions you have to simmer it in to make it tender.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah Ghost Mode mod has cooking in it. Geralt cooking up hot apple pies out in Skeliag.

quote:

Cooking recipes were introduced into the game: you can now cook different meals using alchemy menu after you buy recipes from innkeepers and gather all the ingredients. Food types were reworked and separate "well hydrated" effect was restored, so you can drink and eat at the same time again.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
This seems cool

https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/1484165246029811713?t=HWLMiLq3bZhydF-EZj64VA&s=19

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I've never noticed how far Skellige is from Novigrad. What was Geralt doing all this time on a ship?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

macabresca posted:

I've never noticed how far Skellige is from Novigrad. What was Geralt doing all this time on a ship?

Crashing into Ard Skellig after getting attacked by pirates clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

macabresca posted:

to me the funnier part is the extended sequence in HoS where it seems geralt has been on a boat for weeks or at least days and then it turns out they never even got out of novigrad

I was legit stunned they did not just instance in a beach somewhere and have geralt cutscene his way back to the north lol