Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Mr E posted:

I just did Lambert's quest in Novigrad, and I haven't done very much of the main quest there yet. I've heard his Gwent card is missable - have I missed my chance or is that an issue later on in the game?
They've added safeguards in patches, so I don't think any of them are missable anymore (minus the cards in High Stakes). If you don't get Lambert's card "in time," you can just find it near a bed in Kaer Morhen.

So, basically, don't worry too much about it. :D

Edit: I actually don't enjoy Gwent very much, so this worked out better for me. You can get the Triss Gwent card doing the above, and you can find the Zoltan Gwent card doing this.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

necrobobsledder posted:

You are deceived by the spirit that's stuck in the tower if you take the softie route of fulfilling what she says are her wishes - she wants revenge and will wipe out a town if you willy nilly trust her words. I'm not sure if there's a bestiary entry that explains pestas during the quest to help you make the decision. If there is a mention, that'd be another way to reward players that read their bestiary like a Real Witcher

I never got a special entry but I read the plague maiden stuff and there's no mention of all that. I killed the ghost tree thing so I guess the moral is just never trust ghosts. Dopplers, succubi and some rock trolls are cool though.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Marzzle posted:

I never got a special entry but I read the plague maiden stuff and there's no mention of all that. I killed the ghost tree thing so I guess the moral is just never trust ghosts. Dopplers, succubi and some rock trolls are cool though.

It annoys me that there's no rear end in a top hat dopplers or succubi as that's 2 decoctions i've never owned.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Shannow posted:

It annoys me that there's no rear end in a top hat dopplers or succubi as that's 2 decoctions i've never owned.

Same here, hell just put a cave somewhere where a succubus and a doppler are leading a bandit gang.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Marzzle posted:

After reading what happens if you do the opposite, the tree spirit murders a village, but it's a village of assholes who have been delivering kids to the Crones for an unspecified amount of time. gently caress em! I guess it ends up with Ana & the Baron both dead but that stems from their own bad choices anyway. It's the quintessential "No 'good or bad' choices in Witcher games" quest but one path ends with less innocent kids being eaten by monsters.

I always let rock trolls do their own thing though, their dialogue is never not hilarious.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Arcsquad12 posted:

The only other person in his party is cahir. A gently caress up but hardly a chump

Much as I love Dandelion, he's about the chumpiest chump who's ever chumped. :colbert:

Plus there was that girl someone else mentioned.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Marzzle posted:

It's a character entry for Annabelle, not the entry for the plague maiden.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm 100% sure I had the Pesta bestiary entry before doing Tower of Mice. I think there's a book you can get early on that gives you bestiary entries for wraith types?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

I'm 100% sure I had the Pesta bestiary entry before doing Tower of Mice. I think there's a book you can get early on that gives you bestiary entries for wraith types?

I got the information from something involving the herbalist in white orchard. This was post noonwraith contract, talking with her about the names I learned from a journal maybe?

This game is good.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah, you can get a lot of bestiary entries from reading books and quests. Though even if you didn't have the entry on pestas, if you pay attention to Anabelle's story and don't rush through the dialogue, she contradicts herself badly and is pretty obviously lying.

Also for the guy posting earlier about hearing screaming villagers on Fyke Isle, maybe that's an audio cue related to it being haunted and the Tower of Mice quest line?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Odd that you can only tell Regis you're sticking this contract out for him after ignoring his advice and finding the Unsweetened Eldar.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 28, 2016

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Shannow posted:

As far as I know, the only two opportunities you have to get those mutagens are in Novigrad as part of quests, and you have to choose to confront them each time. If you let them off the hook, you won't get the mutagens.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

10 Beers posted:

As far as I know, the only two opportunities you have to get those mutagens are in Novigrad as part of quests, and you have to choose to confront them each time. If you let them off the hook, you won't get the mutagens.

No, there are 2 opportunities for each I believe. But yes, you have to kill them to get the mutagens, that's what he's saying.

For the Succubus in Novigrad I don't think you ever find out for sure whether she was telling the truth or not, so that's up to player interpretation.

EDIT: Well, if you kill her the quest journal says that Geralt "regretted it later" implying she's innocent, but no way to know that during the quest.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 28, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
There are also only a few hostile trolls you can get the mutagen from.

If you kill a friendly troll, yer off the case Gerald. Turn in your swords and medallion.'

Edit: speaking of which, for new players if you haven't already done so go visit the troll on the island west of Oxenfurt. (he would like some paint from a merchant in northern Oxenfurt to save you a trip, btw)

BOATS GUARD BOATS.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 28, 2016

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
There isn't a sylvan decoction, is there? I let the Allgod live, albeit on a diet.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

poor life choice posted:

There isn't a sylvan decoction, is there? I let the Allgod live, albeit on a diet.

Can't remember, but there's a hostile Sylvan later on.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

poor life choice posted:

the best way to handle that quest is to let him live, then tell the villagers waiting upstairs that theres some totally cool stuff in the basement they should check out.

when you come back later the entire underground is a caved in smoldering ruin :getin:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Pellisworth posted:

Edit: speaking of which, for new players if you haven't already done so go visit the troll on the island west of Oxenfurt. (he would like some paint from a merchant in northern Oxenfurt to save you a trip, btw)

The bird painting comparison between him and Geralt is the best part of this quest.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Athanatos posted:

The bird painting comparison between him and Geralt is the best part of this quest.

I like that the rock troll has more artistic talent than Geralt.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CharlestonJew posted:

the best way to handle that quest is to let him live, then tell the villagers waiting upstairs that theres some totally cool stuff in the basement they should check out.

when you come back later the entire underground is a caved in smoldering ruin :getin:

I think you're misremembering. If you do that he just kills the two villagers.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The first time I did that quest with the rock troll I already had the paint quest item in my inventory and in Geralt's dialogue it sounded like there was a special line if you already had it. The rock troll's reaction of surprise was pretty cool, but given I only ever did it once I never knew if that's just the normal lines.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

It's actually unreal how loving good this game is. I mean I was expecting it to be just an improvement on witcher 2 but wooww. It's better in every conceivable way.

Really puts Bethesda skeleton dungeon simulator #4 to shame.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dongicus posted:

It's actually unreal how loving good this game is. I mean I was expecting it to be just an improvement on witcher 2 but wooww. It's better in every conceivable way.

My biggest complaint with this game is that Geralt cuts people's arms off all the time, yet never makes any arm-related quips at all.

I continue to love bloodlust. You really get why the average person is scared of Witchers when you can one-cut duel the average human opponent. People try to go toe to toe and you just step around their sword and behead them like it's nothing.

Playing B&W has got me interested in NG+. Does it avoid the inverse difficulty curve problem of a usual new game?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 28, 2016

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dongicus posted:

Really puts Bethesda skeleton dungeon simulator #4 to shame.

It's my second-favorite game of all time, but there's one major criticism I have, which is that the plot and the open world don't work together at all. All the side content (except for the sea POIs in Skellige) is excellent, but it conflicts with the supposed urgency of the main quest. Geralt doesn't know his adopted daughter is safe from the Wild Hunt, but the game mostly treats him like he's just on the Path.

Of course, F4 did the same thing with substantially worse writing, so...

Arglebargle III posted:

Playing B&W has got me interested in NG+. Does it avoid the inverse difficulty curve problem of a usual new game?

If you've played the expansions you'll be substantially over-leveled for, uh, pretty much everything. You'll probably be able to do everything but the level 25+ witcher contracts off the bat.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

My biggest complaint with this game is that Geralt cuts people's arms off all the time, yet never makes any arm-related quips at all.

I continue to love bloodlust. You really get why the average person is scared of Witchers when you can one-cut duel the average human opponent. People try to go toe to toe and you just step around their sword and behead them like it's nothing.

NG+ has been way easier for me...having all the skills and loot makes the early game pretty trivial. I'd recommend bumping the skill level up a notch (unless you're already playing at the max). There's one Ciri mission that I'm pretty sure is bugged but beyond that it's all easier.

quote:

If you've played the expansions you'll be substantially over-leveled for, uh, pretty much everything. You'll probably be able to do everything but the level 25+ witcher contracts off the bat.
NG+ bumps the levels up to whatever you start it at and scales from there (I did White Orchard somewhere around 50).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

On the other hand I see level progression as the biggest weak spot of the game so who cares if you are over leveled for the beginning which was so cruel if you remember.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I think this may very well be the best video game ever made, in fact.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Somewhat. I feel it makes more "sense" for Geralt to start out high-level with a full spec and blinged out gear etc. NG+ on Death March gives a pretty good challenge, if you turn on level scaling even more. Though level scaling also means you're fighting packs of high-level wolves and drowners all the time which is... not fun. Like I mentioned earlier I'd love another level scaling option that only scaled special/boss monsters, so I could still get a good challenge from low level contracts I skipped but wouldn't get reamed by random packs of dogs and wolves.

Also, since I was thinking about builds a lot this morning, a quick guide to Signs:

Quen is a shield that will absorb usually one hit (maybe a few on lower difficulties and weaker opponents). Alternate mode Quen is a channeled shield that blocks more damage than regular quen, and can heal you. You can move slowly while channeling alt-Quen but can't take any other actions. IMO Quen is best used as a backup defense (dodging being your main defense) and alt-Quen is good for healing especially earlier in the game where you don't have many in-combat healing options.

Igni shoots a cone of flames that has a lowish base damage (base damage doesn't scale with level afaik) but can set enemies on fire. Burning enemies are CC'd while they dance around on fire, and take %HP damage over time. Great against anything that can be set on fire, notable exceptions include wraith-types, earth elementals, golems. Alt-Igni has the same effect but is a channeled flame-thrower effect, more useful against single targets.

Aard fires a wave of force that staggers enemies, knocks down arrows and fliers, and can knock down human types for coup-de-grace instant kills. Most effective against humans and fliers. Alt-Aard has the same effect but in a circle all around Geralt instead of a cone.

Yrden drops a slow zone that reduces enemy move and attack speed, it also makes wraiths corporeal and take full damage. Alt-Yrden is a lightning turret that fires bolts doing about as much base damage as Igni (not a lot) but staggers them. It also snipes arrows and fliers out of the air. Both Yrden and its alternate mode are generally useful, I'm not aware of any enemies that are immune to their effects.

Axii stuns a single target, Alt-Axii charms a single target, you can also open up "Jedi mind trick" conversation options with some points invested in it. I'd say the most niche use since it's single target and a lot of enemies are immune to the charm (I think? I need to test it more). You can do fun stuff like stun a lone enemy, roll behind and backstab them. I feel like it's most useful against single enemies resistant to Igni, so maybe golems and elementals, draconids? The alt-Axii charm is pretty cool against humans.

Edit:

Arglebargle III posted:

On the other hand I see level progression as the biggest weak spot of the game so who cares if you are over leveled for the beginning which was so cruel if you remember.

Yeah I've said it before but I would have preferred they scrapped XP and level progression entirely in this game and just gave you ability points from completing quests. The level progression system feels really artificial and unnecessary.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 28, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm trying to clear Mont-Crane castle of the hanse there, but even after cutting through like 50 bandits it's not saying I've done it right, and what seems like an infinite supply of 3x dogs keep respawning outside the castle gates and running in to fight me. Suggestions?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Find the path up to the roof and kill the bandit boss, all 3 hanse bases have one.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Pellisworth posted:

There are also only a few hostile trolls you can get the mutagen from.

If you kill a friendly troll, yer off the case Gerald. Turn in your swords and medallion.'

BOATS GUARD BOATS.

I feel like I missed part of this quest... Doesn't he admit to having eaten the soldiers there? I'm all for leaving the trolls to themselves but can't in good conscience leave one that's a goddamn maneater. Y'all talking about him just wanting to paint and I think I might have fundamentally misunderstood his troll-speak... :ohdear:

Hobo Clown fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 28, 2016

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Hobo Clown posted:

I feel like I missed part of this quest... Doesn't he admit to having eaten the soldiers there? I'm all for leaving the trolls to themselves but can't in good conscience leave one that's a goddamn maneater. Y'all talking about him just wanting to paint and I think I might have fundamentally misunderstood his troll-speak... :ohdear:

He ate the dead bodies of the people the soldiers killed...he was cleaning up the place, dont leave things to waste. It's you, you are the monster witchers hunt :colbert:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

He eats the corpses, yes, Geralt's response is "wartime rules" to acknowledge the poo poo situation.

My understanding of his story is this:

He hangs out by the Redanian soldier camp and eventually "joins" the army with the sergeant giving him the mission to guard the boats.

Troll chills with his soldier bros, learns army songs. At some point, peasants come and attack the soldiers with pitchforks. I don't remember if the troll says he fought, but all his soldier friends and a bunch of peasants die.

So he makes soup. Peasanters... good soup. Soldier friends... not so good.

He's really serious about being in the Redanian Army and guarding his boats, and is not an immediate threat to anyone.

Edit: I don't think I've done that quest yet on this playthrough I might write up a transcript later tonight

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 28, 2016

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
BOATS GUARD BOATS chat
Trollolo tries to calm the situation down - not sure if he ever elaborates how, probably tossing people aside and bashing heads with troll strength. Anyway, no reason to waste good meat :colbert:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Speaking of ng+ I'm considering doing a run of it with a bunch of mods. Any recommendations? Right now I'm thinking of using better combat evolved 3.0 (or maybe promods), random encounters, STLM, Gwent plus plus and some quality of life improvements. Hoping that the enhancement system gets B&W support too, might look into that and another mod for upgradable relics.

Anything I might have missed?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Also, he chooses to protect the boats by building a fence around the boats using parts from the boats.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

GuyUpNorth posted:

BOATS GUARD BOATS chat
Trollolo tries to calm the situation down - not sure if he ever elaborates how, probably tossing people aside and bashing heads with troll strength. Anyway, no reason to waste good meat :colbert:

Yeah, I just did this quest and took screencaps of the dialogue I'll type up a bit later.

It's unclear whether Trollolo actually was hanging out with the soldiers and they "recruited" him or if he was just nearby and overheard them singing army songs and the sergeant tells the soldiers to guard the boats. The soldiers had stolen the boats from the peasants, the peasants came and attack the soldiers while the soldiers were drinking. Trollolo tries to intervene "gentle like" but they all end up dead.

Trolls are completely guileless and not malicious (except the rabid ones). Trollolo just wants to be in the army and protect the boats like he was ordered to, he's eating the meat because why let it go to waste?

It would have been different if he'd attacked the peasants or soldiers for food, but he's merely a scavenger.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 29, 2016

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So new game+ is the same as in Ratchet and Clank.

Given that appeal of the Witcher has been it's characters, story, quest-design, and (only in the third game) combat over its RPG elements, what would one regard as a more interesting character-development system?

New Vegas was great, though you'd probably restart a couple times until you got your desired character. SPECIAL, Skills and Perks all synergised with one another and offered you multiple diverse builds. No grinding, Quest XP is king. You would only hit godlike at Level 50, by which time the game would be over.

Skyrim was bleh. 18 skills and a poo poo interface which told you what your perks are. Become homogeneous godlike by level 25, halfway though a normal playthrough. Apparently they expect to do that lock-picking mini-game a 1000 times to level it up. Magic doesn't scale in damage at all.

This may be dumb but Kingdom Hearts had a neat system where you have an AP stat (Ability Points). There are loads of Abilities, each costing a different amount of AP to equip. You raise your AP by leveling and can equip more abilities at once by doing so.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I still think that there should be a tiny chance that Vernon Roche shows up whenever you whistle for Roach. :colbert:

If I had the PC version id want a mod to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

All I know is that Thaler better have made those giant troll shoes like he promised :colbert:

JetsGuy posted:

I still think that there should be a tiny chance that Vernon Roche shows up whenever you whistle for Roach. :colbert:

If I had the PC version id want a mod to do it.

This is why Roach is so suspicious of bridges, her spirit-human fell through one once!