Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Big gently caress-off tree dominating the southern Velen map. Basilisk or somesuch flying around it. Any way to climb up to the tree, or do I have to wait for a quest to direct me there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Really? What does she say?

I'm glad they let me wear the robe, because that's by far the best looking formal wear in the game.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Big gently caress-off tree dominating the southern Velen map. Basilisk or somesuch flying around it. Any way to climb up to the tree, or do I have to wait for a quest to direct me there?

Quest location, I don't think there's a way up beforehand. At least I didn't find one despite spending half an hour going all the way around. Closest I could get was from the eastern side, but still no way to go higher.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
For the "Even Odds" achievement do I have to have potions/bombs etc. completely unequipped, or can I just refrain from using them? I unequipped my mutagens but left everything else slotted, and my oil was at 0/20 charges when I killed a wyvern. Is that sufficient?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I know that "you don't really need money", but still - which merchants are best to sell to?

Also - I got all the gear for a single Witcher school (Griffin. BTW, I got a neat option to tell the Count with the haunted house that I'm from the Griffin school) and apparently that's not enough for the achiev. Do I need to fully level it?

Also, how do I get back to the King of Beggars court after leaving with Triss? The merchant there had some useful stuff.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Xander77 posted:

Also - I got all the gear for a single Witcher school (Griffin. BTW, I got a neat option to tell the Count with the haunted house that I'm from the Griffin school)

I don't have any Griffin gear and I still had that same option when I met that guy

Xander77 posted:

Also, how do I get back to the King of Beggars court after leaving with Triss? The merchant there had some useful stuff.

just go knock on the front door of the place, they'll let you right in.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Xander77 posted:

I know that "you don't really need money", but still - which merchants are best to sell to?

Also - I got all the gear for a single Witcher school (Griffin. BTW, I got a neat option to tell the Count with the haunted house that I'm from the Griffin school) and apparently that's not enough for the achiev. Do I need to fully level it?

I think there's a boost in returns if you sell the items to the correct vendor. Armor to armorers, swords to blacksmiths, food to tavern owners, etc.

Do you also have the Griffin swords equipped? I don't know if Steam is different than PS4 but my trophy popped as soon as I had all six pieces on at the same time.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Sell to the matching vendor to get more money - swords to swordsmtihs, armor to armorsmiths, etc.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Innkeepers also give better prices than regular shopkeepers for most of the random junk like jewelry, broken rakes, dolls etc.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

while we are talking merchants here's a question: why is there some sketchy guy by the docks on Novigrad selling empty bottles for 100 crowns each? there are tons of empty bottles all over the gameworld, for free. what am I missing?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Earwicker posted:

while we are talking merchants here's a question: why is there some sketchy guy by the docks on Novigrad selling empty bottles for 100 crowns each? there are tons of empty bottles all over the gameworld, for free. what am I missing?

That's Odrin. The same Odrin that's in TW2 and the same Odrin that's on all the notice boards. Or rather, Odrin's friend. The actual Odrin is too busy being passed out to actually sell bottles.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lareine posted:

That's Odrin. The same Odrin that's in TW2 and the same Odrin that's on all the notice boards. Or rather, Odrin's friend. The actual Odrin is too busy being passed out to actually sell bottles.

hmm ok. I haven't played any Witcher games before this though I yeah have seen references to this dude on some of the various notice boards, I guess he's a famous drunk?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RatHat posted:

Not sure if you ever find out what happens in the last one actually.

You can go to the farmer's homestead and see the nilf working the fields but you can't talk to him

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Uh... I think I may have accidentally sold my Griffin sword (I got a better one, so I dropped it into my inventory until I could upgrade it). Thanks, weird skipping thing that hitting spacebar does. You'd think that sorting your inventory would prevent that sort of thing but... again, wtf is with the skipping.

Anyways, I'm probably not going to check every possible merchant, nor reload a few hours back. How do I activate the cheat codes, and what's the one for the basic Griffin steel sword?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So after getting playing Baw with the good ending and after talking with witcher ciri Geralt of Rivia walked a few feet forward and fell to his death and that is now my canonical ending of Geralt of Rivias story.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Xander77 posted:

Uh... I think I may have accidentally sold my Griffin sword (I got a better one, so I dropped it into my inventory until I could upgrade it). Thanks, weird skipping thing that hitting spacebar does. You'd think that sorting your inventory would prevent that sort of thing but... again, wtf is with the skipping.

Anyways, I'm probably not going to check every possible merchant, nor reload a few hours back. How do I activate the cheat codes, and what's the one for the basic Griffin steel sword?

You could just craft another sword. Or one of the other Witcher sets once you find the diagrams.

Also, important distinction just in case: are you talking about the "Armed and Dangerous" achievement, or "Dressed to Kill"? The second one is about the top-tier upgraded sets in Blood & Wine.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 29, 2016

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Hobo Clown posted:

I feel like I missed part of this quest... Doesn't he admit to having eaten the soldiers there? I'm all for leaving the trolls to themselves but can't in good conscience leave one that's a goddamn maneater. Y'all talking about him just wanting to paint and I think I might have fundamentally misunderstood his troll-speak... :ohdear:

Are, are you telling me...did you hurt Trololo?! :mad:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Xander77 posted:

Even with the general rule that blacksmiths buy weapons for more, herbalists buy alchemy stuff for more, etc., some merchants will still rip you off. The armorers in crow's perch, for example, are awful. Blacksmiths in Novigrad will give you the best prices on your unwanted weapons and armor until you go to Touissant.

For such a good game, the way you make money feels not only incredibly gamey and artificial, it also feels very spiteful to the player. I especially hate it in blood and wine that after deciding that crafting ingredients shouldn't have any carry weight, they loaded up all the containers with junk that weighs a ton and can be broken down into useful crafting ingredients.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Xander77 posted:

You need a debug console enabler mod, the command seems to be additem('Gryphon School steel sword')

Really though as Walrus Pete said it would be easier to just craft a new one, use addmoney(whatever) if you care about the cost.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

I'm trying the game again. I gave the Swallow potion to the sick girl, turned the drunk forge arsonist over to the authorities, and encouraged the village to house a deserted Nilfgaardian soldier. Of course those decisions will not bite me in the rear end at all.

On NG+ I'm breezing past these like "lol nice k bye."

"They burned down my forge!"
"Huh, well that sucks. Gotta go."

"She's got a brain bleed!"
"Welp. Gonna kill that griffin."

"Someone find my brother!"
"Your brother a werewolf maybe? No? Bye."

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

10 Beers posted:

Are, are you telling me...did you hurt Trololo?! :mad:

I killed him. It's me, I'm the monster. :(

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hobo Clown posted:

I killed him. It's me, I'm the monster. :(

you can just not post here anymore

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Earwicker posted:

It's a money laundering thing. He buys stuff for full price, and you buy empty bottles to give him cash that he gives you back to buy your stuff. This makes sense for some reason that I can't remember involving legitimate merchants.

At least that's how it was. Dunno if they decided that was an exploit.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 29, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lord Tywin posted:

So after getting playing Baw with the good ending and after talking with witcher ciri Geralt of Rivia walked a few feet forward and fell to his death and that is now my canonical ending of Geralt of Rivias story.

She shows up in the expansion?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Arglebargle III posted:

She shows up in the expansion?

She's one of four possible visitors you can get, depending on choices you made and which ending you got in the main game

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

I had to bump the difficulty down for the grief fight because of how awful it was. RIP death march achievement.

Shame because the caretaker fight was really fun

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Walrus Pete posted:

She's one of four possible visitors you can get, depending on choices you made and which ending you got in the main game

Oh okay I had Jen come lounge on my porch.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I really don't like either main boss fight in HoS.

The boss fights in B&W are a lot better, however.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Walrus Pete posted:

Are the visitors Yen, Triss, Ciri, and Dandelion? I only got Yen which is I assume because I romanced her (so Triss can't come), Ciri became empress (so she's not available), and both sisters lived in B&W (which means Dandeloion doesn't need to bail you out of jail.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh okay I had Jen come lounge on my porch.

Yeah, it'll be Yen or Triss if you pursued one of their relationship paths, Ciri if you got the Witcher-Ciri ending and didn't do either relationship, and Dandelion if none of the above.

Dreylad posted:

I really don't like either main boss fight in HoS.

The boss fights in B&W are a lot better, however.

I don't remember any fights in HoS standing out as particularly bad (and I really liked the Caretaker fight), but I might have been over-leveled. :shrug:

Agreed that B&W bosses are rad, though.

edit: wait, Geralt ends up in jail if Syanna (or the Duchess?) dies? That's hilarious

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 29, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Walrus Pete posted:

edit: wait, Geralt ends up in jail if Syanna (or the Duchess?) dies? That's hilarious
It's only if Syanna dies and the duchess lives, since from her perspective you went and got her out of the storybook where she'd stashed her for her own safety just so Detlaff could kill her.

On the bright side it's the only ending where Regis doesn't become a vampire pariah, since you can decide to let Detlaff go after he's had his revenge.

I recommend going back and doing all 3 endings, they all have some neat unique content.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 29, 2016

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Sindai posted:

It's only if Syanna dies and the duchess lives, since from her perspective you went and got her out of the storybook where she'd stashed her for her own safety just so Detlaff could kill her.

On the bright side it's the only ending where Regis doesn't become a vampire pariah, since you can decide to let Detlaff go after he's had his revenge.

I recommend going back and doing all 3 endings, they all have some neat unique content.

Where are the choices for the three? I have saves ready in fairy tale land and night of the long fangs. I got the good ending and wanna check out the bad ones. I'm guessing, ones finding the unseen elder instead, and the other is not convincing Syanna to forgive the Duchess?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Moose-Alini posted:

Where are the choices for the three? I have saves ready in fairy tale land and night of the long fangs. I got the good ending and wanna check out the bad ones. I'm guessing, ones finding the unseen elder instead, and the other is not convincing Syanna to forgive the Duchess?
Almost. The way to trigger the two you missed while also seeing the other content would be:

1) Take the elder route.
2) Take the storybook route and don't get the ribbon from the LIttle Fisstech Girl.

You can also get 1 by doing the storybook, getting the ribbon, and then just not bothering to reconcile Syanna, but that would be a waste of time.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Huh, in the Ciri witcher ending for B&W, she drinks Black Blood without difficulty.

Tacky-Ass Rococco fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 29, 2016

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Dongicus posted:

I had to bump the difficulty down for the grief fight because of how awful it was. RIP death march achievement.

Shame because the caretaker fight was really fun

Do you have to play the whole game on death march to get the achievement?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jack of Hearts posted:

Huh, in the Ciri witcher ending for B&W, she drinks Black Blood without difficulty.

Someone mentioned that was mistranslated.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Someone mentioned that was mistranslated.

I vaguely recall reading that, now that you mention it, but what did she actually do to defeat the vampire?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Jack of Hearts posted:

I vaguely recall reading that, now that you mention it, but what did she actually do to defeat the vampire?

She let the vampire drink her blood.

EDIT:
After comparing the voice lines, apparently "I was cleverer" line was somehow translated to "I drank Black blood". Probably some different versions of the script or something.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 29, 2016

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

It's a money laundering thing. He buys stuff for full price, and you buy empty bottles to give him cash that he gives you back to buy your stuff. This makes sense for some reason that I can't remember involving legitimate merchants.

At least that's how it was. Dunno if they decided that was an exploit.

He buys everything for full price. Sell to him until he's broke. Then buy bottles from him to replenish his cash. Sell more. Etc.

Bottles sell at full price to everyone, so then start selling bottles to various merchants until they are broke.

No idea if this is still the case.

Unrelated: is there a store I can throw money at to get The Wolven Storm with Emma Hiddleston, and not a cover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
So I stumbled upon Whamawham completely by chance last night, and was furiously dodging away from all his attacks wishing I didn't have to fight him. Was so stoked when he chilled out and I got to do more troll diplomacy. No swishaswunk needed :)

Also, holy poo poo Lambert, I was joking when I told Zoltan's friend that Witchers fish with bombs.

e] Oh and the next POI I came across after Whamawam was a troll bro who I helped to make some tasty nekker soup. Best boat trip ever.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 29, 2016