Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jack2142 posted:

Honestly if I never played through Witcher 2 I could easily see giving up Roche in exchange however if you work with him in Witcher 2 yeah no way would Geralt hang him out to dry.

I did that quest right after Roche had helped me save my daughter from the Wild Hunt and Djikstra told me to gently caress off when I asked for help, no way was I going to walk away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The quen alternate sign works amazingly well with the decoction that heals you whenever you use stamina. Basically makes you immortal has long as you can occasionally dodge enough to let your stamina recuperate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DevCore posted:

Bwelp, just ran into a bug with the "From Ofier's Distant Shores" quest.

Literally the first quest I run in the expansion and it's loving blocked by a missing item in a chest.
I'm running the latest build on the PS4, so I guess I'm hosed until they release a new patch?

I'm really hoping something comes out soon to address this issue as the last patch came out almost 4 months ago, which looking through their version history is a bit of a long time between patches.

Yeah, I got hosed on that too. My game is also missing the wolf armor chest, I even did a workaround for that where you jump off a mountain to go to the cave it teleports you too and that didn't work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Meh, it'll give me something new to do on NG+ I'm also pretty much resigned to the fact that I am going to buy the game again on PC once I upgrade mine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I have about 15 hours in this game and I'm realizing i can't even fire it up unless i have like 6 hours to kill because of how engrossing it is. I cannot believe there is such a high quality video game that happens to heavily emphasize a mini-game that is basically a copy of my favorite thing (Magic: the Gathering), and to have gwent be more easy on the eyes than the actual MtG online client is like, pretty embarrassing for Wizards of the Coast.

I'm level 7 and feel like i'm leveling painfully slow.

I also dumped seemingly all of my skill points into bad skills and now im trying to farm my first 1,000 gold in the game because i just want to respec dump everything into mutations now, and break out of my Only signs all the time style of play. How can I farm up a G-stack before i go through this AWFUL keira metz mission (I'm gonna be kinda bummed if I have to sleep with a bunch of chicks and then kill them afterwards. Like I can't let you go, 1,000's of people might die? And you'll just do the same thing at Kaer Morhn? *ROLLS EYES SO HARD THEY FALL OUT OF MY FACE*

You can get the notes without killing her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

And because I see this come up all the time, gently caress your pride, you gain absolutely nothing special for winning, it's totally worth it to lose.

You don't get to double your money? I guess that makes sense

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Based on that dude that posted in here non-stop about 6 months ago about how busted his game was (far worse than I think any of us in here had seen) and then we found out he left it idling for weeks at a time, I'd say Witcher 3 is not very forgiving for idling.

I mean, you should probably restart it every couple of days.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Centzon Totochtin posted:

So when I was like level 20, I was just exploring Velen and I ran into an unmarked quest with 2 knights that Gerald knew who were defending a village from bandits. I decided to help them and didn't find out until after I accepted that the bandits were like level 35. Needless to say I got my rear end kicked and had to reload a save. I'm 36 now and want to go back to the quest but I can't remember it was. I think it was to the left on the outskirts of Novigrad or Oxenfurt? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

That's the start of the Blood and Wine expansion I think, should be tagged in your quest log and marked in red. Basically you see a not from them from any of a bunch of notice boards and which will then tag their village.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Without context there's no way i'd recognize who those figures are supposed to be and I'm deep into a Witcher binge.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sanzuo posted:

This foglet kills me in two swings. I'm doing very little damage to it. How am I supposed to win this fight?

Make sure you're using necorphage oil, Aard will get rid of the ghost/clones, and when in doubt abuse Quen.

Alternatively, if you can, go do something else for a bit to level up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

The mutations alter his genetic structure so yeah, probably would be hereditary.

I think the current science on stuff like that is a "maybe , depending on how and what it modifies" and given that it's a universe where if you're enough of a dick to your girlfriend she'll die from heartbreak then turn into a ghost that kills dozens of people, science probably shouldn't enter the conversation at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm about to finish Witcher 3 and decided to finally play Witcher 2, any good mods for a first playthrough? I did Witcher 3 on PS4 and I really wish I had access to the QoL mods for that I've seen mentioned several times here, so if anything like that exists for 2 I'd like to know about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Witcher 2 is 3 bucks, season pass for 3 is 15 as part of a huge rear end sale at GOG.com

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Before I get my hopes up, is this something I can redeem on Steam? Or will I need a new, non-Steam Witcher 3 to use this?

No idea, all Gog stuff is DRM free but I don't know if they plug into steam games.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i'm balls deep in this game at this point so i started wiki-ing some stuff and it sounds like a lot of the super expensive end game stuff is basically only attainable with money/time if you loop around in ng+? As someone who was just planning to do everything on a single save and not touch ng+ will i be missing out? considering how disgustingly clogged with sidequests my journal is with only having completed searching for ciri in velen and skellige i can't possibly imagine stomaching starting all over in ng+ unless i brute force the main storyline asap.

also i have been playing a ton of gwent and hear tell i lose all the cards i've been meticulously collecting which sounds horrible

You might miss some items, but it's just slightly different armor and if you can beat the game without it, there's no reason to care.Blood and wine should throw you enough money to make every single Witcher armor and give you stands to display them all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Helith posted:

Children's fate If you release the spirit it keeps its word and the children are saved. They end up in a school in Novigrad. You end up going there for the main quest Broken Flowers. The children play outside and are named but I think they must have had their memory wiped because they don't recognise Geralt. There's also a note on Marabelles? desk saying that the children suddenly appeared on her doorstep and were fast asleep and that she assumes they came from Velen.

Question about the crones If you release the spirit does it help to kill all three crones, because one getting away pissed me off

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I never found the caretaker fight that hard even on death March. What part is throwing you off?

I didn't post that, but I had some difficulty with him because he'd summon a bunch of poo poo then kill it to heal. He healed to full health like a half dozen times when I fought him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh, apologies then I misunderstood. Yeah I'm not going to start a whole new game just for that. I guess I'll just hope this reinstall works and if not I'll finish this game and hope to pick it up in NG+

Yeah, I had the same bug and it sucks, the Olfieri armor bugged out for me too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Gas clouds affect humanoids right? So the one Flaming Rose fight in the cavern could be won by chugging a Golden Oriole and then kiting them around the gas field, correct?

Not sure about that, but I do know those gas clouds are flammable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I certainly see Ciri as Empress the right way to go. Her father has basically conqured most of the known world, and we all know that it's been a huge shitshow for ages, and a united Continent under Nilfgaard with Ciri running it would become much better and lead to a more modern society. I don't think Ciri would permit slavery to still exist, she'd put a stop of the witch hunts against mages and non-humans, and work to make society more equitable and bring in a real code of laws and not just rule by force., It may not be what she wants to do, but it's what she needs to do. Her journey enables her to become a ruler unlike any other, someone who has been in the mud and the poo poo, been everywhere, seen everything.

There's a lot of historical examples of a single ruler who is enlightened and progressive to completely transform a nation from feudal warlords to modern power. Look at Peter the Great, though I think Ciri would kill way less people in her modernization.

There's also poo poo like Emperor Julian where he wants to do that and is murdered by his own men.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Helith posted:

Ciri, a child of the elder blood with magical powers and a Witchers training in swords, has spent most of her adult life hopping between worlds and dimensions with an Elven sage while the Wild Hunt were chasing her.

I think she can handle a few Nilfgaardian nobles and their assassins.

Julian fought on the front lines and never lost a battle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Playing through this again now that I've got the GOTY edition and pleasantly surprised that the game still looks amazing for how it runs and I'm actually finding quests and poo poo I didn't find on my first run. This really is the closest thing to a perfect game for me that's been released in the last decade. Downside to my replaying it is that I like to gush about it to friends, and I've started hanging out with some more.. sensitive people in my circle who are the type to pull out the whole "it's racist, it's sexist" card if any praise for it comes out.

I'm usually the person in my group of friends who says "That's racist, that's sexist." Your friends are dumb as poo poo. (There's actually a bunch of sexist poo poo in Witcher 3)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

basic hitler posted:

I dont think it's hard, i just hate the tedium. My second run through saw me go about half way into act 2 on death march before lowering it just because food management was driving me mad. I actually greatly enjoy the harder difficulty otherwise.

Are you on computer? get the mod that let's you have all of your skills active at the same time and then the skill that makes food buffs last forever. Then you don't have to keep eating food every 15-30 seconds. Alternatively, get the Quen secondary that creates a shield that lasts as long as you hold the button and drink the ekhidimra (sp?) decoction that heals you whenever you lose stamina, you'll be able to heal to full pretty much anytime you want in a fight by just letting an enemy whack you a couple times with the shield up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

Ha, yeah, after that encounter I went back to White Orchard. I think I've cleared it, except for this one boat floating out in the middle of a lake with Level 10 Drowners in the water surrounding it. Now I'm back in Velen tracking down Hendrik.

Thing is, I have taken on enemies significantly higher than my level but they had much easier attack patterns to learn, fewer numbers, or weaknesses I could exploit. But at the time I had nothing that could help against Bandits.

Even though I lost the battle it still taught me a lot about combat, especially against humans. So it wasn't a waste of time.

You can probably kill the drowners with your crossbow.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's a PS4 bug, he won't be able to complete the quest. Happened to me with both that and the Wolf armor

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Picked this up on steam while it's on ultrasale. Started playing before I downloaded the DLC (this game is very good!) and it mentioned something about starting a new game once I did. I'm like barely three hours in - just starting out. I can't find a solid answer on whether or not you need to start a fresh game to see All The DLC Stuff. Saw a few mentions of quests bugging out if dlc was installed to an existing save.

Should I restart?

If you're on a PS4 (maybe Xbox 1 too) wolf armor and the blue one from Heart of Stone often doesn't spawn the recipe, so if you care about that I'd restart.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Since they make it clear O'Dimm eventually screws over everyone he makes a deal with and you've already made a deal with him, siding with Olgierd feels like self preservation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

HiredGun posted:

Do you guys recommend playing with level scaling on or off?

Usually on, except it makes wolves and rats super annoying and one enemy in Yennifer's quest almost impossible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

Quick newbie's 1st playthrough question: if I sail to Skellige before I finish Novigrad, will I accidentally lock myself out of anything by accident? I just finished whacking Junior and need to go see Priscilla about Dudu if it matters.

Nope, the point you can start locking yourself out of content is after you do the thing in your spoiler and there's a giant pop up telling you so when you hit the point of no return.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

If Cyberpunk is xbone exclusive im going to be loving pissed

CDPR owns GoG.com and while it's a small platform compared to Steam, it's also probably the second largest computer gaming storefront, so I'm pretty sure they'll never go console exclusive with anything they make.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Smol posted:

Few more questions before I start playing:

What difficulty should I choose? I'm no stranger to action RPGs (I've finished all of the Souls games multiple times as an example) , so I'm not sure exactly how hard "hard" is in this game.

Is there a recommend time/order/anything to play the DLC in? I don't really know how its integrated to the game.

If you don't have a hard on for platinuming, I'd start on the second hardest, then once you get a feel for the game bump it up or down one level. You can change the difficulty at any time.

The DLC is designed for endgame players, I did Heart of Stone shortly before finishing the main game and I did Blood and Wine after finishing it. Blood and Wine takes place in a completely separate part of the world and ends with you having your own vineyard, so it very much feels like a last hurrah/epilogue thing. Heart of Stone is integrated a little more so it works as soon as your the appropriate level

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If you're on the PS4 and want more Witcher 3 but don't want to replay Witcher 3, you could do a lot of worse things than get Horizon: Zero Dawn, one of those worse things is the new Mass Effect.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Any chance of this being more than 50% off by the Steam summer sale rolling around? Otherwise I might as well grab it at 50% off despite having games ahead of it in the queue for now.

The lowest I think it's ever been is 25 bucks for the full collection and 15 for the base game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Twat McTwatterson posted:

How much better does this game look maxed out on pc compared to ps4, and is the top tier model of an alienware alpha r2 comparable to being "maxed out"?

vvvvvv

good info, thanks

Load times will be shorter and you can get rid of fall damage. That's worth buying on PC alone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

If they're not meant to be equivalent, that makes the original question even more poignant. Why are those choices even in the game then?
Since you brought up Triss/Yen: I simply do not understand why they wrote two games where it seems like Triss is Geralt's true love and only touch on Yen in flashbacks, and then suddenly they go all-out with Yen content. They could have at least had just as much story with Triss for the people who only played the games.
I'm not complaining about them finally including Yen cause she is so clearly the best, but it's just a weird choice in writing.

It adds to replay value, especially if it's the first Witcher game you play and you don't read spoilers. I made some sub-optimal choices and now I'm anticipating my next run even more.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

cugel posted:

Parisian accent is the trashiest, proper french should be spoken without any accent. Quoting wikipedia: "However, some languages, such as French and Mandarin, are sometimes analyzed as lacking lexical stress entirely."

To my ear you're always singing... It's difficult to explain and I'm no linguist.

There's no such thing as "no accent."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Apparently The Witcher 3 sold more copies Q1 2017 than it it did in the same period last year.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-witcher-3-sold-better-in-q1-2017-than-same-per/1100-6450351/

I'd be surprised if they never make another Witcher game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

dead comedy forums posted:

sorceress game still better idea

you get a whole new point of view in the world, a whole new avenue of gameplay to work with allowing for a lot of potentially extreme fun poo poo with real magic powers and what not, a lot of intrigue (and the opportunity to tell Phillipa to gently caress off)

potential con: a yuge amount of :qq: and complaints that CDPR is a sjw company because of a female protagonist/player character in the witcher universe

While that's probably a very vocal group, it's also a very small one. Given the success of Horizon Zero Dawn, the Tomb Raider reboot and the two characters in Assassins Creed Syndicate, I think worrying about crybaby man-children isn't a good business decision.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Xeremides posted:

Are you going to address the arguments at all, or can I just go ahead and conclude that diversity for the sake of diversity is so important to you that you'd take no issue with a Themyscira where both men and women are equally represented, and to hell with the narrative crafted because "regressive world building should be thwarted at every turn and "in universe" explanations for lack of diversity doesn't excuse them"?

Yeah, and why isn't there a White History Month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Xeremides posted:

Right, actual equality, whereby wife emotionally and physically abused husband, and husband physically and emotionally abused wife. Both were guilty, both were wrong, and neither was good. Equality. The only victim in that story was the daughter. Geralt and Yennifer, meanwhile, were shown to be equals, and they treated each other as such despite occupying very different roles. She didn't need to be a Witcher to be his equal, and he didn't need to be a sorceress. So why is it that, in order for women, in your mind, to be seen as equal in the Witcher universe, they need to also be Witchers? Why is it that being the best suited for magic, and among the most powerful beings on the planet isn't enough? Is one of the most hated occupations in all the land all that's standing in the way of equality for women? Or does your desire to play as female Witcher actually have absolutely nothing to do with equality, and you're working backward from your desired end state to rationalize your desire?

The best minds the world had to offer for hundreds of years managed to get, at maximum, 3 out of 10 boys to survive the Trial, and usually it ended up even less than that. Their concerted and focused effort on a single outcome resulted in a slight success.They tried to turn girls, and it didn't work. In Blood of Elves, Ciri even asks Triss if she could be turned into a boy in order to survive the Trials, which is pretty much what it'd take for her to survive. That's the lore.

You're not going to convince me, and I'm not going to convince you, so I'm going to bow out and let you keep hoping CDProjekt, of all devs, kowtows to your desires. Good luck.

You know what fiction means, right?