Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

How exactly does attack power affect combat DPS? Is it just a straight percentage increase? Or something else?

e: I've been essentially winging it and muddling through so far and I'm trying to get a better sense of whether to go for Ursine or Fleine gear; I have mostly Combat skills at this point, but I have the General adrenaline skills and Cat School Techniques (I'll need to redo my skills when I have a better sense of what in the hell I am doing).

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Feel free to double check the IGN walkthrough (which has exhaustive detail on essentially everything), before doing anyting, but if you killed the tree, you'll go back with the baron (and his daughter - don't recall if she shows up in the Crones' hamlet or beforehand), and after a bit of fighting he'll ride off with his wife to get her cured. There won't be any suicide.

e: More detail (and spoilers) -
http://www.ign.com/wikis/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/The_Whispering_Hillock

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 11, 2016

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Given Ciri's scar, hair and general demeanor, and at least one of the endings, I was assuming that CDPR were at least leaving the door open to a sequel involving Ciri as a (well, the) witcher. They'd obviously need to tone down her abilities and presumably it'd be a while, given their other commitments.

e: I guess it's unlikely but I liked the game so much I'd love to see some sort of sequel.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

You should romance both Yen and Triss.

Yen seems p chill, I'm sure she'll be cool w/it

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I AM BRAWW posted:

Can someone give me a tip for this one?

I've seen people climb up from the area on the right but it's easier just to swim in through the cave. (At least IIRC.)

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Best ending is Ciri and Geralt as itinerant Witcher bros

:agreed:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

404notfound posted:

It's probably the high point of the game in terms of emotional ups and downs. You learn enough about the character that's it's very easy to justify both hating him for what he did and taking pity on him for everything that's happened.

Normally I wouldn't consider putting the "money shot" quest so early in the game to be a wise decision, but I think it works out well for Witcher 3. It's still several hours into the game, which would be a substantial portion for any other game, plus grabbing people with the quest means they're more likely to stay for the rest of the amazing content.

It definitely worked out that way for me, though there is some pretty great content ahead of that questline. For example, saving a dying woman only to find out later from her lover that she's essentially brain dead as a result of the cure; maybe there are other games that have these sorts of morally ambiguous, compelling stories, executed this well, but if so I haven't run into them.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Does anyone know if the expansion includes any Ekimmaras? Still need the mutagen for a decoction.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Azazell0 posted:

Even after clearing almost all ?'s in the base game, I'm still missing 6 superior oils. Ogroid, Vampire, Relict, Insectoid, Cursed and Necrophage. Do these have fixed locations or am I just unlucky as hell? Can I just buy these from somewhere now?

You could try Gremist if you haven't already, though I'm not sure whether he sells those particular recipes. I assume you've done the Practicum in Advanced Alchemy?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

So even though I played only a negligible amount of gwent during my playthrough, I'd really like to play offline with physical cards.

Apparently they're not available past June 10, though? Does anyone know if CDPR (or anyone) will be releasing a 4 deck set later on? Or am I just SOL?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

Holy poo poo I finally got my superior cursed oil. Blood and Wine or maybe the patch has perhaps fixed something?

Just wish they would patch in a few drat Ekimmaras.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

The trailer for the gwent game shows both physical and electronic cards.

Anyone know if CDPR will be releasing new physical decks?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

The guy in Skellige has tons of recipes and should come pretty close to filling out everything you're missing.

IIRC the guy (the druid) in Skellige has a large number of superior / enhanced potions; if there are any where you need the basic versions, you need to go to the female herbalist in Skellige (I believe she's on the west coast of the main island).

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

You can get the Ekimmara decoction very early if you explore a little. I think it's on one of the early gear scavenger hunts you run into an Ekimmara which will give you the mutagen you need.

It's not a sure thing and there are only AFAIK two other Ekimmaras, at least one of which is on a side quest that can expire.*

It's frustrating because you can wind up with no way to get the decoction. I was hoping they'd add one in B&W given the theme, but I didn't run into one before finishing the expansion.

*e: I think the second of the two other Ekimmaras is part of a separate side quest where if you choose the wrong dialog option you won't run into it.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

drat it's painful trying to build all the mastercrafted sets...I've got both Feline and Griffin done, but I'm out of basically everything. Hopefully there are a ton of materials in the expansions.

used to be honeycombs were all you needed. oh well

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Is there anything (irrespective of genre) that compares to W3 in terms of having memorable and well defined characters, a deep and well integrated story that that makes even the (many) side quests compelling, meaningful choices and at least some open world elements? I found W3 amazing, and I’m playing through W2 right now, which I’m also really liking for pretty much the same reasons.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! Just finished W2 this afternoon, so hopefully one of them will help abate the Witcher withdrawal I feel coming on.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 18, 2018

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

This is weird. I know this is supposed to be the best story in an RPG in a long time but I'm about to stab that black heart guarded by werewolves and... it's just not doing it for me? I loved Witcher 2 but this feels like work. Bought on release, too, but Deus Ex Mankind Divided interrupted it and Fallout 4 interrupted THAT.

Does the story get way better after I deal with the crones?

E: loving SwiftKey

Why do you hate the orphans?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Mads Mikkelsen as Geralt pls

And Eva Green as Yen

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't think they could cast anyone better than Mads Mikkelsen. That's a hell of a match.

haven’t seen enough of his work to judge whether anson mount* can act, but could imagine him as a backup

failing which dave chappelle

*eta: youtube clip for reference
https://youtu.be/DKMm2WcJvpw

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 6, 2018

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

amy adams would make a great triss

steve speirs as djikstra

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Jared Leto as Dandelion

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

There's only two valid romance options: romance Yen or romance Yen and Triss. The first works best narratively, the second lets you romance Shani guilt-free in HOS and means you end up with Ciri at Corvo Bianco, which is the most fulfilling ending.

was wondering how to get ciri at corvo bianco; but i thought there was some possibility of winding up with dandelion instead, which i'd want to avoid

does the ciri ending still happen if she's a witcher rather than the empress?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

The Ciri ending happens as long as she's alive and you aren't in an active romance with Yen or Triss. It doesn't matter whether she is a Witcher or an Empress, although she is noticeably happier as a Witcher.

OK many thanks; on a new playthrough and I'll probably shoot for that (already did both the yen and triss endings)

eta: i may also let emhyr live this time; killing both him and radovid was pretty satisfying, but i did not at all like sacrificing roche and ves

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 13, 2018

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

A well planned alchemy/melee build can take on ridiculously overtired enemies provided you know what you're doing.

This is a great build, and my favorite (though I’ve used melee / alchemy, i.e., more / most skills in the combat tree), but having also played a full signs build, they can be so overpowered that combat encounters become boring almost irrespective of the number of opponents (trap, burn, watch the flames spread and the heads pop off, rinse repeat).

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Re: Baron, there's a different ending but the branch point is not very obvious, the ending changes depending on whether you free or kill the tree spirit. You must've freed it.

It's not obvious but you can leave for Skellige around level 12. Novigrad is differently paced than the rest of the game, there's almost no combat, it's mostly running around dialoguing. So if it starts to drag, hop over to Skellige. The 1000 gold ship fee for going to Skellige is "refunded" immediately on arrival.

N.B.: I freed the tree spirit, who promised to save the kids; and both the Baron and Anna survived anyway. Happened just the other day. Was very surprised, since I didn’t think that was a possible outcome.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Had no idea about the list of kids either, though I do remember the school. Not sure if I can get into the school yet, but when I can I’ll take a look.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

The Locator posted:

So I never would have guessed that some day I would be following a ghostly dead baby somewhere.. anywhere.

the funniest part of that is how, even after it changes into a friendly, protective lubberkin, it keeps the horrific appearance, complete with huge mouth, fangs and cropped nose

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVaxy-k9YUA
They really thought of everything. You can ask the Doppler from the Witcher contract to impersonate Menge if you haven't found Dudu yet.

“and so on and so on”

lmao they really did think of everything

though I’m not sure many people are gonna get that ref

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

i stand by jared leto as dandelion

will have to think about vesemir

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, he's apparently read all of the books and beaten the game(s?) three times.

If he's a Triss guy I'm not watching the series.

:colbert:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Loving Blood & Wine so far. I was wondering if there's any way to obtain grandmaster gear for every school in a single playthrough? Because goddamn is it expensive. A single set seems like it can cost 30,000 crowns or more. Does your vineyard eventually generate a profit? I've already gotten every undiscovered location everywhere except Toussaint and have sold off the proceeds to pay for stuff like upgrading the runemaster's forge.

i made about 1.1 million gold killing a dwarf with a beehive, but unfortunately i think that’s been patched

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

King Superman posted:

Speaking of trolls and things you missed the first time through the game, I'm on my second play through (started immediately after finishing the first lol), and found something that might be of interest to the thread. Fast travel to the Inn at the Crossroads, then head northwest up the peninsula. Hug the western coastline, and you'll eventually meet a troll who needs your help, offering a quest reward like no other.

it should have been a trophy though

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

eonwe posted:

Gwent relaunch is on Tues right? I am thinking of getting back into it

ich auch

can anyone comment on balance and gameplay compared to the original minigame?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

the game version of keira wouldn’t be a bad option either

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Keira is selfish as all hell. Shani is a little selfish as she pines after Geralt, but her primary goal in life is altruism which immediately makes her better than any sorceress.

well, tbf keira is also terrified, in hiding and looking for a safe home

agree that shani would be a good choice from geralt’s perspective, but she’s such a sympathetic character that she’s almost too good for him, at least pre corvo bianco; she comes off as deserving someone who isn’t such a rolling stone

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

not, not spells. she just seduces him to try to help the lodge get to ciri* first. and yes, he does keep calling out / referring to yen.

*and or yen, who was imprisoned iirc

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I’ve done it both ways, but the children are less culpable than the Barron, Anna or the adult villagers of Downwarren, and my understanding (though I haven’t tested it) is that all but a handful of villagers become war casualties even if you kill the tree and let the children die

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

i wonder how much geralt regrets saving bitch rear end duny

personally i always kill him in w3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

the books just regurgitate nilfgaardian propaganda. in redania, people take turns to act as a sort of executive-officer-for-the-week. but all the decisions *of* that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting. by a simple majority, in the case of purely internal affairs, and by a two-thirds majority, in the case of more major decisions