Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Comte, I've been running through W2 and just removed the curse from the medallion that was Newboy's. I gotta know if Anezka is in W3. She is a pretty rad witch/sorceress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Oh wow. What a ride this thread turned into.

Guy's anger is completely misplaced. He shouldn't be mad at the developers for making games that can run on the three systems. He should have been mad about the xbone being the lowest common denominator with it's unbelievable amount of RAM.

I feel like I missed something quest-wise in flotsam. Nothing ever came of the reports of corruption. It felt like it was going somewhere, with the false reports by the castilian, and dead spy that was by Dimitri, etc. It seemed like I should have mailed reports to Thaler or something since his contact was gone.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

Oh man, Geralt at level 13 fighting in the beginning of Chapter 2 (all those soldier wraiths at the meeting with Saskia and Henselt) is a lot tougher than level 31 Geralt fighting the same. God drat.

God drat this is hard. I gotta learn how to block better.

Blocking is for chumps who don't like to have any vigor, roll everywhere, at all times.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Maybe as a primary sword build I might see quen as something useful, but I gotta have my magic roman candle and I've got to spam it constantly. No vigor regen means no quen for me.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Wonder if this game is going to have the same problem as other open world games where you might get a new weapon as a reward, but that sidequest/event that was between the quest giver and objective gave you stuff that completely outclasses it in all ways.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

It's pretty great if you love save scumming, gingerly touching the analog stick and still losing all your money. :v: To this day I still don't understand what makes the difference when I win or lose (granted I don't play regular poker either).

I hated the arm wrestling more, just because it was such a pain to do on a controller. I'm surprised I didn't snap the sticks right off the thing during some of those matches.

Dice poker was something Witcher 1 did a ton better than Witcher 2. It told you what you and your opponent got each round so you didn't have to look yourself. The trick to dice poker is always aim for 3 of a kind. Got two pairs? That's garbage. Keep the highest pair and re-roll the three others. Never go for the full house, it is a trap.

Also yeah, arm wrestling was the reason I stayed with keyboard and mouse. Trivialized everything but Numa.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I liked that on that stream earlier during one of the CSI quests he was tracking footprints near water, inspects an area where he noitces whoever he is looking for got attacked by drowners, then immediatly drowners pop out and rush him nearly before Geralt is done talking to himself. I chuckled a bit since I've not seen that happen without at least a couple second waiting period in a long while.

Also invisible horse Vesimer. Witcher 3 can't escape the cruse of open-world games, lots of weird bugs.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
The Galaxy Client better not gently caress me out of playing at 7pm. Store page says 7 hours, inventory page says 16 hours.

edit: welp.... beaten I suppose?

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

No Nutella? I'd rather not choose at all.

Nutella wants to genocide people with nut allergies. You are a monster.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I miss the mountains from the 2013 trailer. They looked a lot better, but that could have been post-processing since they looked picture perfect. Also that persistent slight white fog that was added in between (I'm not talking about the clouds near the ground, it is more like Fallout 3 and new vegas fog). It makes sense that it is there, but I don't like it.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

I've never been able to get this whole Witcher 2 quest stuff in Loc Muinne, the runes of power poo poo.
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Rune_rooms

Main thing to remember about it is that:

Harp shape = art/music
S Shape = animals
polygon with line in the middle = sky
the X with one side closed (Or hourglass shape with one side open) = Time

Activate the seals in the same order that those appear in the riddles in each room.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I think the Geralt controls like rear end. Always taking forever to speed up and slow down. Impossible to do slight movement without having to run in a circle beforehand.

Also the game keeps crashing whenever I read stuff in the inventory. I think it has something to do with flagging for quests, or receiving items (recipes of some sort) or bestiary stuff. Usually something that would be accompanied by big text showing up on the left side of the screen when you would resume the game.

Still looking for another emerald dust somewhere in the open world. gently caress paying 600 crowns for that.

Also no loving quickload. What the hell?

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Can't get anywhere now. Any time I open up the inventory to look at a quest paper the game locks up almost 50% of the time now.

the Nvidia power thing doesn't work, Full screen doesn't work, vsync doesnt work. I am convinced anyone who espouses it is just getting a long break. It's like Fallout 3 over again.

Also, if you exploring partially sunken ships to the west side, be careful, cause if you enter some of them, you can't get out. Nekkers, Wolves/dogs, and large amounts of downers are the bane of my existence on hard. You just get stuck dodging everything forever.

Also there is no quickload. I've mashed all my F keys. Nothing but F5 does anything.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
If you want a good silver sword to replace your viper one: go to the island south of the haunted tower (the place with the big circular encampment on a medium sized island). On the island there are a few chests with large brick rubble and it starts a sunken treasure quest. In the ruins under water there are a TON of chests. At least 7, some hidden in deep nooks so you can't see them with witcher vision from the surface. One of them has Diethwin. level 4-ish and outclasses the viper school silver sword.

I also have so many high level crafting components that I would outfit half the northern army with awesome gear. But I don't have the diagrams or level to use any of it. I wonder if I should sell some of it off.

I'm also disaapointed that there wasn't more variation in merchants.

Innkeeps will give you the best coin for pelts.
Armor/weapon smiths will give good coin for weapons and armors.
Regular merchants can go get hosed. loving robbers.

Broose fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 20, 2015

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

I've never played more than thirty minutes of a Witcher game before-- is there any reason not to steal anything not nailed down in these villager's houses? I assume they'll aggro if they see me, but I'm not building some hidden "rear end in a top hat" meter somewhere, am I?

Don't steal from army camps. Peasant homes are fair game apparently. And sometimes they hold high level crafting stuff. You should feel bad about taking that emerald from the peasants just ravaged by a passing army.

Though this game feels like it goes out of it's way to make sure there are no happy endings sometimes. Someone/a bunch of quest designers need to like, take a chill pill man. Maybe get some therapy so they realized things CAN end happily. Though I've only really scratched the surface in terms of quests since I've been slowly filling out looting question marks on the maps.

What? I just caused another problem to spring up cause I solved your other problem? Well, let me fix that too. Oh, I did something you didn't want because you could't speak up in the first place? How's that MY fault? Geralt may be a genetically modified, superior evolution of a human, but he still has feelings you jerks.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I want to play the game, but I can't cause it keeps freezing about 10 minutes in now. I hope they find out what the hell is causing it and patch it quick. It seriously is just like Fallout 3 where you'd just randomly freeze while doing nothing or anything. Freezing issues, no dedicated inventory for potions/oils/bombs, no outside storage, and wonky rear end movement that makes fine adjustments nearly impossible are my only gripes with this game.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
There's an easter egg in the graveyard where you get a monster contract for a grave hag and witcher impersonator forgot the towns name, its more northern and the site has a singular crypt with a chest at it's back inside. Angel statues appear, change orientation to face you whenever your camera goes off them. I chortled a bit.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Has anyone figured out how early in the evening noonwraiths lose their strengths?

Real men fight noon wraiths at noon. I had no idea that this was a thing. Just assumed it was a "you fight at noon or you don't fight at all" sort of thing.

I don't know how people had trouble with Jenny of the Woods if they also did the Beast by the Well or whatever that quest was in White Orchard. They all play the same. My only gripe about fighting wraiths of all varieties is that yerden's circle is just a bit too small since they just back dodge out of it immediately unless I get them up against a wall, which isn't an option for some of those fights. Thank god for Moon Dust.

Edit: Also the whoreson who decided that inventory food, pots, and bombs needed to be sorted AFTER contracts (why the hell are they even a thing in the inventory?), books, and random notes needs to get drawn and quartered. Yes, we implimented a difficulty where only food and potions can heal you, yes, we will make it as hard as possible to do so. At least oils sit on top of everything, but having to scroll down every time I want to eat some meat and water is so god drat stupid I wonder how it made it to release?

Also there are a some "swampy" places where the water level drops off almost vertically to just a right level where you can't pick yourself out of, but also can't jump. So your stuck in a chest high puddle in the middle of a swamp and in all likelyhood, have not saved for about 20 minutes.
There is also a half sunk boat that you can get in, but can't get out because of debris. Which Galaxy had an easy picture taking button like steam so I could tell you where to look out easily.

Broose fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 25, 2015

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Horribly annoying poo poo to fix:

Controls handling like a 2 wheeled shopping cart

Geralt and his osteoarthiritic knees. I'm so tired of tumbling down a small hill and landing on my neck and losing half my health.

lovely fight controls. More often than not Geralt seems to attack whatever he wants, not what I want.

FuSchnick posted:

Remove all the goddamned candles placed within 2 inches of everything you want to interact with, ever.

Sort Potions>Oils>Bombs>Food>Books>Notes> Contracts.

Better yet, give Potions their own tab. Oils, Bombs, Food go in another and all paper poo poo gets its own.

Seriously, gently caress whoever designed the inventory and its lovely sorting system.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Radovid and Mages quest Oh god, I can't decide what to do with this megascope crystal! Phillipa sounds like she deserves to burn at the stake, especially since the last game's events. Would giving him Phillipa make Radovid ease off the mage killing? Probably not I would guess. Both for them and the crime bosses are the ones keeping him from taking the city outright and video game logic. Don't know if I should go back on my word for Radovid since I kinda killed his entire witch hunter squad and he probably would know it was me who killed them. Oh Allgod I am stuck in indecision!

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't understand how people are bumping up against the 130 lb carry weight. I'm carrying a library and a fully stocked workshop and an alchemy lab and I'm at 36 pounds. Deconstruct your junk, junk is really heavy and the crafting materials you deconstruct from it are really light.

Better yet, just sell junk to the nearest inn. Especially pelts. Novigrad will give you the most coin for stuff, but it also the most expensive. Buy stuff out in the boondocks if you must. Also if you are even just a mild kelpto, where you just loot points of interest and hidden chests in places like crows perch you'll have more than enough crafting components for anything you want.
Junk is rarely ever worth the effort to dismantle. Maybe stuff like rings with jewels and silver stuff.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I had absolutely no trouble with Jenny cause I used the same tactics that they told you to use against the Evil by the Well in the prologue cause it is the same enemy with the same attacks. Did a lot of people just not do that contract in white orchards?

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Pro tips for new people and kelptos:

-Nooks and crannies of the environment can hold loot containers of many types that have either a higher chance, or a set type of loot. Usually moderately high crafting materials or, rarely, a good weapon.

-Animal skins are HEAVY, try to unload them at inns when you can. Also worth good coin.

-Take it easy on the herb picking. The maximum amount you would ever need is somewhere around 15-20 of something. The herbs you pick up are rarely, if ever, worth more than 1 gold. Don't bother.

-Inns pay the best for junk and animal skins. Smiths for armors, weapons, and crafting materials. Merchants of the same type will have higher or lower costs depending on a number of factors. General merchants are usually a ripoff, but there are some out there that will buy stuff for full price, mostly around novigrad.

-Once you have books and notes in your useable item inventory tab, make it a priority to either sell off or drop them somewhere. This will save you some of the headache that will be the constant inventory entering you will be doing.

-Potions can be used during battles from the inventory screen, not just your quick slots. Just highlight them and the option will be at the bottom right side.

-In white orchard, if you are through, you might come across stuff called "dimeritium plates/ingot" These are high level crafting goods and worth a lot of money. Take these to a smith of some sort for a good boost in cash for the early game. You won't be using them for a long while and by the time you do, you will be rolling in money and have picked up so many more. You'd probably only need to sell 1 plate to be well off until you can get by by just selling dropped weapons.

-Looting everything in a point of interest is generally all you need to do to be well off and supplied.

-Your potions and bombs refill while meditating and using one strong alcohol. (Alcoholist, Dwarvin Spirit, White Gull) You will loot so much of this stuff it won't even matter. Don't buy them. If you are running low somehow, looting towns will either give you all you need for a long while or the money to buy them.
Oils have unlimited uses, but a limited number of charges before it needs to be reapplied. This doesn't cost anything. You can do this during battles by dragging and dropping on the PC.

-Dodge is generally better than roll, as you will be able to punish an attacker from the side and when recovering. Obviously handling a shitstorm like a pack of 8 wolves will take a bit of improvising on the higher difficulties.

-Wraiths of all types are only really vulnerable when inside the yerden sign's circle. There are also bombs called "Moon Dust" you can get later on that will do the same thing for a limited amount of time.

-If you really want to unload stuff for the best price and only have to make one trip then: Head to Novigrad, whatever way you want.

----------------------------

I decided to start over, make a few different choices here and there. Ciri's picture in Emyir's room is still funny. That scowl.

I need help with Gwent. How many cards in a deck should I have? How many weather? Ratios of types? Etc. etc. I'm getting out lucked by peasant merchants starting out.

Also for anyone wondering about the Tree Spirit heart and the crones should read the book "She Who Knows" There is one in that village you go to to meet up with your milfguard contact. Its a warning about that quest.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

Guess She Who Knows wasn't lying after all.

I was glad I read that book when I looted it from that iced over town. It pretty much spells out what you should do. Though, it seems like the crones really arn't any better.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I can't remember where I heard it from, but the games say that Yen knew about the lodge but didn't agree with them and decided to do something her own way.

What was the something? What did she try to do? Is this brought up later in Wild Hunt? Should I be wary of supporting the lodge? They seemed like a pack that deserved a burning at the stakes, trying to be the Illuminati or whatnot.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Do monsters out in the open that aren't, say, tied to a point of interest respawn at all? I'm not looking to grind since I know they give piss poor experience but just so I know to expect them. I'm guessing if they do at all, its because you have traveled between regions.

Meditating in their little combat zone might give you a nasty surprise. Drowners and wolves at least come back if you meditate sometimes. Certainly happened to me more than once.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Since we are talking about health regen: Has anyone come across a definitive best food for hp regen? So far the best stuff I've noticed was Roasted Pork. It last like 10 seconds but it has an insane regen rate like a 5 second food. It seems to be super rare though. I've only picked up like 3 to 5 pieces in like 60 hours of play.

Also, in case someone doesn't know: you can have one liquid and one solid food stuff active at the same time.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Did anyone else meet a wyvern near the harpy nest when getting Johnny's voice back? I didn't meet one on my previous time through, but now there's a low level hellbeast there. It was a chump.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I feel sorry for Letho in W3. I assume since he is being hunted as a loose end that Emyir doesn't have any plans to start up the viper witcher school like he said he would. So all that work Letho did was for naught and he'll never see the day that his brethren would be accepted by people and not forced to live in hiding.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Triss drugged Geralt in the books apparently, then lied to him when he had amnesia in order to steal him for herself in the games. She's got problems.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I need to find out what command spawns the key for the Person in Distress that is inside a bandit camp in the middle of a large-ish island with nothing else in Velen. Only land route to it involves the bandits who actually recognize you're a witcher and back down if you point it out in a talk. Killed everybody there but the leader didn't drop the key. Went back to a save where I just discovered the signpost next to the camp and came back a couple hours later and still no drop. Bandits don't seem to respawn as well so that guy is stuck in the cage forever now.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Is anyone else having a problem where the game keeps minimizing, then unable to go back at all? It sounds like I'm still in control of the game and no error messages show up in the task bar for display driver crashes so I'm stumped. I thought at first it might have been Galaxy making it change focus and everything making GBS threads the bed there, but it happens with steam as well.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Questions about Ruven's Treasure: Should I let Triss be tortured to find the location, or just give the fat gently caress the key and murder everyone there? If there arn't any endgame consequences I don't really care, but he says he might provide coin for helping mages escape, so that seems pretty good incentive. I don't care for spoilers in this case.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Really waiting for the next patch now. Seems like every time I quick transport in a boat, I end up about two miles in the air at my destination and freefall to the world below. Beautiful view all the way down, but I'm honestly scared to hit anything but water to see if I'll end up okay. The game also seems to crash/minimize whenever it loads too much stuff at once and it seems like as more patches get put out it loads slower and slower.

Also seem to be stuck in the witch hunter HQ after helping Menge with his sorceress problem. Should I ask about the treasure or dandelion? I've tried all the outcomes, not sure which to go with.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Selane posted:

That game had some giant, convoluted-rear end talent system as I recall. Also a pretty goofy ui.

But hey, triple wielding swords! Also visible weapon oils.

I would have preferred to use witcher 1 UI and inventory system over what we have in Witcher 3. I'm serious.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

Tried 3 times, the bandit leader drops a garbage longsword every time and nothing else.

This happened to me as well. I even went back a save and came back hours later and he still didn't drop a key. I think 1.05 broke it or something, along with Count Ruvians Treasure at least.

Ravenfood posted:

I've killed three ekimmaras and not found a single mutagen on them. Is there a guaranteed drop for these on one of quests? Does save/reload do it? I just want my drat decoction.

It is not a guranteed drop, which is stupid cause you've now killed all that are in the game. save/load until it drops from at least one. Save/load to make sure you get its hide. Same deal with golem hearts, but not as bad.

Broose fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 13, 2015

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Is this game loading extremely slow all of a sudden for anyone else? It has been getting worse and worse over the patches. Now I spend at least 2-5 minutes on a loading screen and when I do get in game half the assets aren't loaded, textures and at the lowest possible, there are no shaders, insides of buildings are not even loaded. I have no idea what the hell is going on now and the game in unplayable cause it still force minimizes and wont come back or just plain crashes when it tries to load stuff a lot of the times.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I would love to beat this game but it constantly crashes. Whenever it loads in something it is a gamble that it might crash right then and there. This including loading conversations, streaming in textures, new areas, new enemies on the horizon, more civilians in novigrad. God drat novigrad is a sure thing for a crash if I dare load up the game there.

God drat it CDP, I just want to do some witchering!

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Need this threads opinion since I can't decide myself.
I'm level 20 and have completed the Ciri parts of Velen and Novigrad (but haven't started Dandelion quests). However, my game is kinda permanently bugged reguarding some secondary, contract, and some point of interests, such as Person in Distress permanently stuck in their cage cause the bandit leaders didn't drop keys for some reason. So now I'm unable to 100% the game, which I was aiming for beforehand and had done a bunch of poo poo anyways.

So now I'm trying to decide if I should just put the game down until the DLC expansions come out and play it again then, or push through and finish it and have everything broken nagging at me. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Yeah. After buying all the recipes I was wondering what I was going to do with all my money now. However, if you don't abuse the alchemist at the graveyard for cheap runestones, either crafting or buying runestones and glyphs become another money sink. dealing with the white gull bottleneck is also the other money sink.

Also, much like other buggy merchants, all you need to do to make the graveyard alchemist talk to you is go outside and meditate for an hour. Doesn't matter what time of day it is, as long as he is there in the front.