Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Same here, I hope to get wednesday-friday off. I've got shitton of vacation days to reclaim. It's been a while since I was this excited about a game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Oh, 10 pages of posts, a new trailer? Maybe a cool stream?
:reads:
:psyboom:
The other thread is better.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

My collector's edition was delivered today. It's absolutely gorgeous! The box is also pretty huge, it's the size of one of those square atx cases.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Installer craps out at second disc. I'm downloading GOG version now, but I hoped to play today :(
I'm also supposedly not the only person with that problem
http://www.gog.com/forum/the_witcher/help_witcher_3_installation_help_retail_copy

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Game runs surprisingly smooth on my i7-920@3.4 and Radeon 7970. I've set everything on high, save for hair physics, despite game suggesting ultra. 1980x1200 resolution.
My only gripe is with inventory management and shops - there should be some serious streamlining coming in some later patches. Stuff like giving items categories, and then sell all/break all from category view.
Gwent rocks, but it made me remember why I've never tried any CCG.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've found a blocked corridor with boulders shining yellow to witcher senses with icon looking like a spiral with rays. Any idea what can I do with it?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

Probably an illusion. You get a quest item later that lets you dispel these. Check out the bogs.

Many thanks, I hope I can go back to that place, it's a cave with elven sorcerer boss battle.

e: got that item you've mentioned from quest companion.

alex314 fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 21, 2015

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Schlesische posted:

The biggest difference is that in Dragon Age, you kind of do one area, then head off and do another.
That doesn't really happen in Wild Hunt, and many of the missions you'll get in Velen are (for example) like 20 levels higher than you and are reasons for you to come back to that area for better reasons than "I didn't get to buy all the things from there" or "Hey, I'd like some more crafting stuff".

In Dragon Age:Inquisition you have to do that too. First open area was a surprise to many people because they just expected to finish it and move on - then you meet a monster that's a couple of levels above you, and it's not a game where you can grind down an enemy that's supposedly too strong for you. There are more instances of that design, also enemies have level range, so those loving bears or wolves are constant annoyance. I prefer one-shotting fixed levelled enemies to damage sponges. I was about to wrap my completionist run of DA:I which I've stopped twice because it's becoming incredible slog. Fetch quests suck, collectibles hunts suck (especially if you collect: regions, camps, flags, lumbers/quaries, shards, thrones and pieces of mosaic). Witcher is a breath of fresh air for me, and I really really hope quest from Witcher becomes RPG standard.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

^^^^^^^
cut on shadows, and turn off hairworks.

Travel. Visit Red Baron's keep. Check out more boards. Just remember to save before main encounters, since you can end up with a fight with level 15 gryphon or some other nasty. Also if you decide to do a main quest remember that any kind of wraith should be engaged when it's in Yrden trap.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

GuyUpNorth posted:

Supposedly Anna stays insane though. It's bittersweet, but I found the final moment of lucid thought better overall when everyone gets some sort of proper closure.

Considering what's she's been through the only thing that could make her existence better would be memory wipe by a mage.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

How did the translators come up with names like Aen Seidhe and then pronounce them like En Shay? Is this a deliberate reference to incomprehensible Irish Gaelic spellings? If so, does it show up in the Polish books or is it a clever transposition of some other "fay folk spelling" into English sensibilities?

It shows in Polish books, Sapkowski loves Arthurian and Celtic legends.

I've got a weird quest: after attending a party I've found a small village, where 3 peasants were keeping something locked in a barn. It was corpse eaters that were lured dead humans. When confronted villagers said they were robbers, that were killed after they tried to rape some girl they've named. Thing is there's no girl in the village. I see no woman clothes drying. Visiting houses I've noticed they all have shears and hooks, and there's a couple of containers with rotten meat. I cannot talk to them. Have I messed up a Witcher quest? Are they a bunch of crazy cannibals preying on travellers? Will it come up later? Am I getting insane?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Avalanche posted:

What is the trigger for "missing" Triss in Novigrad? I ideally want to meet up with Triss at the very least but end the game with Yennefer

Next quest after attending a party with her.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Krogort posted:

I regret killing Kiera even though the oval office used Geralt like a puppet, I feel as she's not really evil. Does she have any impact on the main story line ?

Someone posted a screenshot of an endgame slideshow, so I think she could have a part in the latter part of the game. I think I've also hosed up by denying her something she wanted, at least she's alive in my game.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Nice analysis. One moment where this split seemed especially evident to me was the sidequest where you play fencing instructor for var Attre's daughter (pretty inconsequential spoilers): During your training she runs off to have some time away from everyone else. When you find her, there are predictably a few locals being dicks to her, mostly because of her affiliation to Nilfgaard. Even if you resolve the situation perfectly peacefully and civilly (i.e. through Axii :v:), she'll still be spitting fire and brimstone afterwards, saying that she'd remember the locals' names and once Nilfgaard conquered that place she'd find them and make them pay and all that. The idea that their enmity towards Nilfgaard would be at least understandable if not justified because it's about to bring ruinous war upon their homes doesn't even occur to her. She also obviously doesn't worry about the fact that killing or otherwise harshly punishing those guys will be completely counterproductive in resolving that enmity. Or that demanding harsh(er) punishment just because of the commoner/noble dynamic between offender and offended might unjustified as well, though that's not exactly exclusive to Nilfgaard. To her, all that matters is that they did a Bad Thing by threatening a noble, which deserves Just Punishment.

I told her she's a bad person and she stormed off. Has anyone tried the other option? Could Geralt have boned her otherwise?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

The Crooked Warden posted:

Add me to the list of people that hoped "fencing lessons" was a euphemism.

The quest led that way, it seemed she was going to find a quiet place to unwind in Witcher's strong arms after practice.. Cockblocked by Nilfgaardian lawfulness.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

I have 4 maps for the Cat school gear, 3 maps for the Griffin school gear and 2 maps for the bear school gear and I feel like I've exhausted all the armourers in Velen/Novigrad, are the remaining ones all on Viking Island? In addition, the Bear school maps don't actually give me any scavenger hunt quests, what's happening there?

I've found advanced bear stuff by mistake in some cavern south-ish of Novigrad. It wasn't even heavilly defended, probably because the quest for finding it hasn't started. Now I need to find preceding ones, and I'll probably still not use the armor because I spec in signs.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

So quest rewards are levelled. Are Witcher armours levelled, too? Should I wait before picking up the schematics if I don't have a pressing need for armour?

I don't think so. I've found schematics for Witcher stuff I cannot wear yet.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

If skill layout is moddable then it'll be one of the first mods I'll try out. Skyrim did an amazing job in that regards, especially stuff like adding different vampire mechanics with vampire skill progression etc.

Also look at the world that's described in some detail:

It's high time Daggerfall loses the crown for the biggest loving game ever! CD Projekt RED, get to work, I want a game spanning from mines of Poviss to gardens of Rowan!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I haven't been to Skellige yet, but installing Ciri as warrior queen of united Skellige with the support of all those mages that hate Radovid and dislike-to-hate Emhyr would rock. Nilfgaard cannot really continue their war of agression with all this long poorly defended coast being raided by unholy alliance of vikings and mages :black101:

Goons, that are farther in the game, please let me have my dreams.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Apparently W3 does well enough in Japan to end up in the top spot on a sales list on some major Japanese retail chain
http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/05/25/ps4-version-of-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-dominates-major-japanese-retailers-sales-chart/

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Schlesische posted:

Looks like the Redanian Halbardier armour, you can buy/find the diagram for it later on but I can't for the life of me remember where or from whom.

I've found that armor schematic in Novigrad in a (very minor quest spoiler) quest where Geralt says he smells dead human, you follow the smell to a corpse, find a key, follow to some Cleaver men hideout. It was in one of the chests, I think the one with the key . I'm not sure the schematic is tied to that quest, it may simply drop once you're in a level range.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I urge anyone to read those boards you usually check for witcher contracts only, I've found this gem in Oxenfurt:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Free DLC is a free publicity in all those dozens of thousands of blogs that c/p press releases. It's also a jab at the rest of industry that charges money for them.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

I still like the other ending more, when you visit him with him being dead, dudu took over his identity and crime empire and turned it into as massively profitable and prosperous and also completely legal and above ground trading business, since dudu needed a new 'main' identity that wouldn't be at risk of being outed as a doppler with his new scar as a giveaway. His gang members are totally OK going legal, since they get twice as much pay as they did before with the new massive profits. So he took Junior's terrible life and death and turned it into something positive

It's weird he's not shanked by one of many people he hosed over.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

200 years later someone's going to write Lives of Famous Witches

FTFY
e: I could also see Dandelion doing Suetonius' level work, I think he did already. He wrote some scathing political satire in W2 too.

alex314 fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 28, 2015

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Ledenko posted:

Kinda feel sorry for Dudu still - a doppler doesn't just assume the looks but also facets of the being he doubles for, so he'd get cravings to torture women and the like :(

I've completely forgot about it! Game even reminds you at least twice about that doppler mechanic.. Maybe the influence fades over time? It's mentioned that the (light book/beginning of Novigrad spoiler) Doppler that was a head of temple guard was pretty chill dude and helpful toward magic users and nonhumans. It's safe to assume that the dude he replaced wouldn't end up in the post if he possesed those qualities.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Regarding Witchers, and how they have surprising amount of personality for being mindless mutant killing machines: it's either stated or implied in the books that Trial of Grass leave Witchers with varying amount of personality, and those that are completely washed out of personality and humanity tend to either not finish the training or die off quickly.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Zoltan tasked me with getting some rare gwent cards so he can pay off a debt. I've never actually played gwent, will the quest require me to do so?

You may, but it's not needed. Quest end spoiler you may choose to get those cards in reward, those are 3 good hero units for 3 factions, so if you'd like to start now if you don't mind trek to start area.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Wild at Heart:

Should I let Margaret die? Spare her so she can live miserable and alone? Or say gently caress it and take the bribe, letting her get away scot free?

Is there a follow-up at all to this quest?

Not on my playthrough :black101:

It is possible though, I've had a character attack me because I kinda made the group of said character dead in the course of my actions 10 hours before.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

PureRok posted:

Okay, I got hit by the XP bug pretty big, so whoever knows a trainer to give XP that works (The one I found doesn't) I would be grateful.

Try CheatEngine out, I haven't played with experience yet, but there's bound to be a table (prepared script you run in the program that allows you to edit stuff) that you can use.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

But is there wraiths??

http://imgur.com/gallery/NW302

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

New video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6VxXGPifbE
mostly location shots.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Konig posted:

So I'm considering a playthrough starting at the original Witcher game and continuing all the way through to the end of 3, but one thing I wanna check first - is the witcher code of conduct or ethics or whatever ever explicitly laid out anywhere? I know it's all about neutrality, and there's something in there about never killing dragons, but that's not a huge amount to go on.

Basically what I'm after is some Ten Commandments type poo poo to make this playthrough fresh and not just "Konig plays a videogame"

There's one main rule: "Don't kill sentient life unless it deserves killing", which as you imagine leaves quite a lot for your interpretation.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Pretty much the only thing that's frowned upon is contract killing of people. And feline school Witchers were infamous for it, which in turn means they are unwelcome in Kaer Morhen. That's also why your old friend Letho had reservations about going there.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Woozy posted:

Over 100 hundred hours in this game and I just now realized you can Aard beehives instead of burning them to make them swarm nearby enemies.

That's.... something I have to try as soon as possible!

Yesterday I've had a moment of confusion when I couldn't craft swords for the whole witcher set in one place. I guess there's a rationale for having high level swordsmiths and weaponsmiths separated,.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've got a bad case of hoarding: I'm constantly running at close to max capacity and haul all those lovely swords to the nearest blacksmith. As a result I'm near the end of act 1 at level 23 and have around 30000 crowns. I buy all the alchemy schematics I can get too. I tend to sell off high value crafting stuff like gems or pearls, maybe that's why I'm so obscenely rich. If I cannot finish all the quests and rock the highest level witcher gear by the end of story mission I can use the mountain of gold in my posession to "buy" experience from the bank.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Walrus Pete posted:

I busted my rear end to get the first set of Griffin gear upgrades at level 10-11, only to find out they require at least level 15 to use :saddowns: Oh well, at least I'll have the materials ready as soon as I can use them.
(pro treasure-hunting tip: if it's guarded by something you can't or don't want to fight, sheathe your sword while standing right in front of the chest and you'll have a couple of seconds to loot it before Geralt goes back into combat mode :eng101:)

Unrelated: I recently discovered the beauty of fully upgraded alt-Quen, which makes me wonder what other good poo poo I've overlooked. Is alt-Aard secretly rad? I should probably get alt-Yrden for archers, while I'm thinking about it.

Also, I've seen people talk about instant kills after using Axii on someone, but it seems to only happen really infrequently for me. Is there some trick to it?

Alt-Yrden is cool because it can swat the flyers off the sky (range is pretty low though) and disrupt constantly big and slow enemies. I'm not sure catching archers arrows is that much of an advantage, since you'd have to keep the circle between you.
I've considered alt-Igni to be the most broken thing in the game, but some bigger monsters attack me despite getting burned DOT. Still Quen + Alt-Igni are my go-to combinations for non-wraith fights.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Aurain posted:

Shortly after the signpost at the keep. I think if you go directly forward and then as soon as you get into the main keep go hard right and outside.

Dude is here only during the day. Also swordsmith was bugged for me for quite a while - he's used in a quest where you find something you're supposed to deliver to him and I couldn't talk to him. Then out of sudden I could, but only once. I've finished the quest and he doesn't want to talk.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Did you accuse Nathaniel? Turns out, he's not the killer. He's a scumbag, but he isn't the killer.

I haven't seen any other option during that time. I'm at the end of act 1, I've noticed a message from perp, but there's no special dialogue with NPCs that should be concerned with that find Dandelion
It's weird, because from playing the first part of the quest I suspect the morgue dude cuts organs to be young. Guess I'll find out later.

I've just pulled an all-nighter playing this game..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

http://thewitcher.com/news/view/1059

There was a contest for artwork, winners are cool wallpaper material.