Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hey, Orv, are those PC screenshots up there the older ones from a year ago, or are they the newer, downgraded shots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Trying to decide if I want this or my own - better to kill Henselt and leave Roche to be a fugitive, or break the mind control on Saskia? Hard question and I feel like I (appropriately) have no clue how it will affect things in TW3.

Well, they've said Saskia and Iorveth aren't in this game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Brackhar posted:

Any word on if this will be better to play on KB/Mouse or Gamepad as of yet? I'll be playing on PC either way, but it's an interesting distinction.

I mean, isn't it purely preference? For me, I'll always like it better on kb/m.

What a strange question.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Some games have a clear winner. For this game that's an arcade stick and two racing wheels.

I've actually found great success using an elliptical trainer and a sip-and-puff control stick.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Brackhar posted:

Well, as an example, Dragon Age Inquisition has a pretty bad KB/M UI at launch, so the general recommendation was to use Gamepad instead. Skyrim's launch UI also works a lot better on Gamepad as well, so until SkyUI came out it was likely better to play with Gamepad there also.

That's all I'm asking about. It's something worth questioning in these days of simultaneous PC/Console releases.

I had no trouble with DAInq's kb/m control scheme. it's what I used and felt it was very fine. Same with Skyrim's. The only games I think I liked better with a controller were Dark Souls and Alpha Protocol. Honestly, just wait and see what you prefer.

Witcher 2 works well now, so I'm reasonably comfortable thinking they've made necessary alterations to make W3 not poo poo right off the bat.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 16, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That MSPaint trailer is pretty great for a lark.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The game looks how it looks, who the gently caress cares? If you don't like how it looks, don't play it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I blame you for this Orv. We had a nice Witcher thread going and then you made a new one and look at all the monsters your joke title has attracted.

In my limited experience Orv is a gloryhound and ruins everything he touches.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

tithin posted:

W3 Thread: Witcher 3 5/5 -Orv, Don't touch it, but you can look at it from over there

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

Art direction over fidelity. I'm also one of those scumbags who tweaks his settings to gain an acceptable tradeoff of quality for performance.

Low Shadows and AA to the lower settings crew. gently caress yeah.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Thanks Orv.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Archimago posted:

1stGear,

That dude does not deserve your posting. Please stop. For my sake, your sake, and the thread's sake.

Also, the children.

If Orv were a better OP he'd have this poo poo on lock. Impeach Orv.

Orv must go. I heard Orv killed a dude one time. That's not the kind of OP I want playing the same videogame my kids I don't have might play.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
They completely downgraded the fuckin' horse off to the side and now it's gone. Man, Comte, Why are you all such liars?

No joke though, that top one looks dope and would absolutely not run on my computer if the whole world looked like that, I'm sure. That middle one looks nice. That bottom one looks nice, too, but a little more like Dragon Age - even though I can only vaguely remember what Dragon Age looked like.

I do like things having more color, though.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 16, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh man, Geralt at level 13 fighting in the beginning of Chapter 2 (all those soldier wraiths at the meeting with Saskia and Henselt) is a lot tougher than level 31 Geralt fighting the same. God drat.

God drat this is hard. I gotta learn how to block better.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Why is he bonkers, it just sounds like he was having fun trolling.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Drifter posted:

Oh man, Geralt at level 13 fighting in the beginning of Chapter 2 (all those soldier wraiths at the meeting with Saskia and Henselt) is a lot tougher than level 31 Geralt fighting the same. God drat.

God drat this is hard. I gotta learn how to block better.

Holy poo poo, I literally can't get past this fight.

This is insane. Whenever I do a riposte thing the enemy gets in a hit while I'm spinning around for my first attack. How nuts. What am I doing wrong with that?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mrfishstick posted:

I really hope combat isn't as animation locked as it was in 2. Being unable to dodge roll out of a swing because Geralt is busy swinging his sword about in the air gets kinda old after awhile.

I really like the idea of animation lock, but for anything more than 2 on 1 it gets really loving hairy and quickly annoying.

:argh:

Ahh, nothing like automatically spinning around and then jumping in the air to finish some guy, and then getting stabbed in the back while in midair.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 16, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Iorveth may be my Witcher transfer save simply because I can't fuckign get past this poo poo.

I'm GOING to beat this, this is insane (I'm not insane).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
gently caress me, finally. I'm an aard and yrden man, myself.

I have no idea why that fight, this one time, was so difficult.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I stopped using quen when I realized it was basically cheating. It removes challenge. It's an incredibly overpowered thing. I probably should have used it earlier since I was having such a hard go of it, but nah.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
We're gonna need a new thread when the game comes out.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I'm sure Orv hasn't posted that much

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Badly Jester posted:

To be fair, he didn't do it in a vacuum. People can't seem to leave crazy alone.

Let me tell you how much your stupid opinion is stupid. haha. Stop posting.
*fifteen pages later*
Oh man, your opinion is so stupid, stop posting.
*six pages later*
Oh boy, gosh you're so dumb, right guys? Stop posting.
*eleven pages later*

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Maybe they deliberately put out a buggy game in order to encourage people to buy it and register their purchase so they could download the patches.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hopterque posted:

It's cdpr/gog, you don't have to register to download patches. Hell, some dev from CDPR even posted on various piracy websites in comments on various witcher 3 files up for 'preload' that they'll be able to play on the 19th and where to download the patch.

They've changed, man.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gentwise posted:

I never got very far in Dragon Age Inquisition because I thought the combat was boring, and upping the difficulty just made everything a damage sponge.

I've never played a Witcher game and was wondering if the combat in these games is more interesting. I enjoy Dark Souls combat, for reference.

The combat is definitely more interesting and fun. Even at the most frustrating, there's a lot going on and it's always doable. it's not as tight as Dark Souls, but it's still solid. It's half Batman and Dark Souls, but it's like Sleeping Dogs in terms of refinement. Aka, not as polished or good as either.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 16, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Witcher 2's combat was only interesting in the sense that "oh, I just tried to attack and nothing happened" or "I wanted to inch forward and slid ten feet diagonally as the camera panned instead" or "that's not the attack animation I wanted, interesting.

Oh poo poo yeah, while it looks cool, the auto spinning and poo poo gets kinda annoying.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Poetic Justice posted:

Will GoG automatically unlock and download the necessary files when the game is released or will I need to click on something to get it to do that?

You'll probably have to finish downloading it or whatever. Like, running the installer again.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tony_Montana posted:

Also, serious question: does the horse eat grass? drink water? poop?

I'm going to guess no.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

those screenshots look awesome but this one confused me:

(will spoiler if random images count as spoilers? dunno)

That's one of the older witchers in Geralt's Wolf Clan.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Roshnak posted:

Oh, weird. How do they phrase it?

It'll be pillow talk. One of the chicks you bang will be all "...so, tell me about your self."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - It seems like they're really trying to control the PC release by not having ANY unlock until day of release - most likely a piracy thing.

Oh my GOOOOOOD this game comes out TOMMMMMORROOOOOOOWWWWWWWW

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shakugan posted:

It's surprising, one of the primary criticisms against the Witcher 2 combat system was that Quen was way overpowered. So I'd find it surprising (and disappointing) if it's still as overpowered. But maybe it is, because I've read about it also being able to restore health?

Quen by it's nature is basically giving you free attacks and extra health...It's great if you're bad at combat and get frustrated easily, it's not great if you want a challenge.

Chill out. There's literally no way to make a skill like that be both useful and not overpowered. If you nerf it to give it challenge to people who want a challenge, then it's useless to people who have a hard time with combat, with then makes it useless for both.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CottonWolf posted:

They seem to have attempted to balance it by making everything else better, which is better than nerfing quen in my view. You can drink swallow in combat again, there are skills on the alchemy tree that let you heal when you drink any potion, there's the defense tree in combat set. They've just given you more defensive options.

Hey, that's pretty cool. I don't really like using quen, mainly because it's a passive buff, and I'd rather use active things. That's pretty dope about using certain potions in the middle of combat and them giving a small health increase. I've been remiss in my Witcher duties and haven't really been using potions a whole lot.

In Witcher 1, was Roche around? What was Geralt's relationship with him if he was? Because going through Roche's path in W2 and having gone through Iorveth's already...I kinda like Iorveth's better so far. But I'm only halfway through Roche's now, and mainly Henselt's a dick.

I also feel pretty bad that I couldn't kill enough Harpies to give to the dude in Roche's path, while I did in Iorveth's. That guy's quest has to be canon.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I want to say that I really liked the quest structures in Roche's path, with all the long questlines and interconnectivity and poo poo, but I feel like Geralt's a better person for doing Iorveth's path.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The focused blast for aard is a downgrade. You want it to push back EVERYONE that even looks at you funny.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I get to shadow at a vet clinic on Tuesday till mid afternoon. A day of dealing with adorable sick animals makes it easier waiting for the UPS man to drop off my giant special edition. Can't think of a better way to spend a Tuesday.

UPS man doesn't leave it your door.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Naky posted:

UPS leaves it at my door. FedEx does like one delivery and then makes you go pick it up at their center around here. Purolator does like two attempts before you have to go pick it up. DHL doesn't even try and just makes you pick it up. That's my experience with the couriers in my area.

I wasn't suggesting anything, I was cursing him.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Reason posted:

I know that people don't remember graphics quite right in their heads, but they aren't really comparable.

Jesus gently caress that Witcher 3 screenshot looks fuckin' terrible. Alla you CDPr apologists can't explain away these shots, man. They're right there. Gaze upon your lies and betrayals. They even changed the UI. Fuckin' hell.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Archimago posted:

:siren: Did anyone get a screenshot of said tattoo in the wild? :siren:

You guys have a fuckin' day. Let your tattoo lay in wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's the dumbest thing but I'm glad I get to keep my tattoo. :allears: