Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's a glitch; it's not supposed to work like that. You can't do it at all on console (use oils in combat, I mean - not the other alchemy items).

I play on PC but with a 360 controller and it does not allow me to use oils in combat, maybe its the keyboard vs controller ui being inconsistent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

To every idiot still complaining about 'high heeled' boots on Ciri

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=european+riding+boots

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

come on bro

between the 'to every idiot' and the 'let me google that for you' you come off like angry MRA nerd.

it's okay, Witcher 3 is an excellent game but at the same time it is pretty lol how sexed up the female characters are between the high heels and the necklines plunging down to the waist and the over the top make up

MRA = Mare Riding Association?

Because I know how helpful a 2-3 inch heel is for staying in the saddle?

Please stop getting upset at things you don't understand.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Poles also love and are knowledgeable about cavalry and equestrianism, unlike the people who complain about what shoes video game characters wear.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

Dude no one was complaining until you came in here and called us idiots. :shrug:

I like how you just totally ignored the fact that there is no real riding boot with that big of a heel on it.

Tell that to my shoe closet.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Varam posted:

So why doesn't Geralt wear riding boots even though he rides horses a thousand times more often than Ciri does?

That's a much better question

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The most important "inventory" stat is not weight, but how much garbage you have to scroll through to get to your potions. Drop all those books and letters and contracts ASAP, it's a huge quality-of-life improvement.

Do you play with a console controller? It's way easier to navigate the menu UI with mouse and that way you don't have to get rid of all the neat books you picked up.

Moridin920 posted:

Which you won't answer.

gently caress off already we're trying to talk about alchemy and signs go get probated in the Gamergate or Tumblr thread again or something. You've obviously got an axe to grind.

buy me a red text and shut up already

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Oh I play with a mouse - I can't even fathom using a controller in the menu. I still find it awful that I have to hit i, click the right tab, then scroll in that tiny window and hover over each potion since a lot of them have the same image. Anything that saves steps in that is worthwhile. Before I sold my books, I just didn't use more than 2 potions, it was too annoying.

I only started using potions when I switched to mouse, it's crazy how much better the menus work compared to a controller. CDPR has hinted at on their forums that the next patch is going to rework inventory so it's likely we'll see a dedicated potions tab, or filtering (non-quest)books into another tab

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Is there a sort of generally recommended order to go about doing things, or is it basically do whatever after White Orchard? Because, while awesome and detailed as hell, the Velen-Novigrad area is pretty overwhelming. I'm level 6, I've done the cave thing with Keira and the Baron wants me to find his wife and daughter, and other than that I'm just basically fart-arsing around doing random junk for peasants. Is there some way to get a sense of direction and progression (I have no idea how to tell if my gear is any good, for instance, and no idea how to get better stuff) outside of the main quest-line, which I understand can be burnt thought really quite quickly if that's one's objective?

Until you complete all the main questlines in Velen, Novigrad, Skellige, (and then a a good deal further beyond that) there is really no importance to what order you do anything. You get a very clear warning (A box will pop up and tell you to manually save and that some sidequests might become impossible to complete afterwards) when it comes to the 'point of no return' for the main plot and thats even further down the road

At least one quest involving your Witcher friend Lambert can be failed by going to Kaer Morhen before you meet him or finish the quest.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 2, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Also a note for anyone that is as much of a loot hoarder as I am. When you first Meet with Triss, in that immediate area The Putrid Grove in Novigrad there is a vendor that sells the max level saddlebags for a few hundred crowns, they give you 160 points of weight capacity and basically let me lug around dozens of weapons/armor pieces on top of all the crafting materials I could ever use, and I basically never have to sell or drop anything I might want to keep just to drop weight.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

admataY posted:

I am very talented and have managed to finish the game with out getting it on with either Triss or Yennnefer , despite actively trying . I think I locked out of it because I spent a night with some random spy, but it could be I made some bad dialouge choices along the way. Roach is the only one that understands me :( now if I could only cure that thing from its crippling fear of wooden bridges ...

Wow that's impressive, the choices seemed pretty clear to me but if you really missed it when

Triss: Is about to leave on the boat from Novigrad to Kovir escaping with all the mages you can ask her to stay. After that you get 3 choices, either tell her you want to try again, tell her goodbye, or tell her you love her. Only the "I love you" option will make her stay and reopen your romance with her

Yennifer: After interrogating the guy's corpse in Skellige you help her find a genie. After Yen traps the genie she makes it undo the wish Geralt made to bind his and Yen's fates together. She will tell you she still feels the same way and you choose whether to tell her you love her or no longer have the same feelings for her

Or maybe you just didn't do the side quests for them in time? before you go to the Isle of Mists

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Yeah but who would win in a fight?

Obviously Yen would wipe the floor with Triss' red mop

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Panzeh posted:

What strikes me as weird is that Geralt will do a lot of different women but the ones he can form relationships with are all powerful sorceresses. You'd think he would probably prefer a lower-born woman, or at least someone who was less interested in politics, given the way he tries to stay out of it.

I guess that's the thing about video game romances- everyone's a badass.

That being said, if Geralt hangs out with no one but sorceresses it's not a huge surprise.

Geralt lives a dangerous life, it's natural for him to want to partner that could take care of herself in a supernatural scuffle

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Geralt and Yen are a glorious trainwreck together. They have the kind of relationship you can't help but watch explode beautifully like Othello and Desdemona or Sam and Diane, except Geralt and Yen actually get a happy ending after going through decades of poo poo, instead of a flash in the pan followed by tragedy.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

pik_d posted:

So uh, where is Yen post-game?

I just finished the game after 170 hours, got the happy Yen ending with Ciri taking the throne. With the whole "lets live in a hut somewhere" thing I was surprised to respawn in the empty Kaer Morhen.

After the end custscene the story ends. The cutscene/storyboard is the epilogue to the novel/biography/heroic epic Dandellion writes about Geralt

Going back into the game is just a kind of sandbox-y afterthought.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

If you had to split the main questline into acts it would look like

Prologue: Opening Cinematic + Tutorial Dream + White Orchard

Act I: Velen and Novigrad
Act II: Skellige
Act III: Ugliest Man Alive + Isle of Mists
Act IV: Defense of Kaer Morhen + Revenge against The Hunt and Crones
Act V: Confronting Imlerith's final attack and facing the White Frost

Ugato posted:

Haven't gotten Triss' yet but I'm inclined to believe you. Basically it would probably have to have built in scorch to be the same level. Even at 10+ power, it's not as good as a 7 power medic.

Triss is just a plain 7 melee hero card, worse than any other hero in the game, I don't even like Triss and I felt more embarrassed for her when I saw her Gwent card than when her fingernails got ripped off by some punk witch hunter.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 6, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

On death march you can stumble into a wolf pack or nekker nest at 1/4 health, hold your sign button, and have full health in 3 seconds. It's literally required for DM.

The Ekhidna decoction, and the skill that allows you to recover hp from using any potions are way better than the alt-quen sign in DM

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

For 28 minutes, unless you spec into alchemy, which makes it 90 minutes. Having health regen on demand for as long as you have stamina is 100 times better.

Time spent casting quen is time not setting monsters on fire, disemboweling them, and throwing bombs at their mewling spawn.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

JetsGuy posted:

I'm glad I play on PS4 so I don't have the total hours played constantly taunting me. Because i'm betting it's a ton and I'm not even close to finishing Act 1. Running around doing sidequests, making ?s go away, this is the life.

Also, Yen owns. :colbert:

I also was motivated to pick up the first Witcher book (The Last Wish) because of this game. I'm like halfway through and it's basically Geralt running around doing sidequests. Not sure what to make of it.

A friend lent me the UK translations of the first 3 books and I'm most of the way through 3; Books 1&2 have a lot of build up and are very well paced I think, like pik_d says its the third book "Blood of Elves" that turns into a full-length novel as the focus shifts away from Geralt and the timeline gets condensed significantly. As far as I could tell the first two books Take place over the course of years, a decade or more, jumping back and forth with long stretches of time largely skipped over, while Blood of Elves takes place over the course of 6 months or a year at the most told mostly chronologically, with many more points of view than Geralt's immediate sphere.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

If you don't RP Geralt as a full-blown :spergin: than I don't know what's wrong with you.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Snak posted:

You're both not wrong. I'm not talking about the "orange highlight" lock on, I'm talking about the soft lock that always exists in combat. During this fight, I frequently cannot see the healthbars of my opponents, and I have to cycle the soft lock to do so. Pointing the camera towards them does nothing.

Also, I just got stuck behind the tables again. As I get better, a larger portion of my failures are due to game mechanics. loving awesome.

edit:

I appreciate that you are trying to help, but this specific fight is hard because you only have a tiny area full of invisible obstacles to move around in. Again, I do not find this games combat hard in general, and am doing quests recommended at 10 levels higher than I am. This quest is recommended for 1 level below me(14, where I am level 15).

Edit: here is one of my more recent attempts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=begaCl1rCSQ

What controller are you using because it seems to act differently in a lot of ways. I play on PC with a 360 controller and I can pretty reliably move the soft-lockon target just by moving my camera and it will pick up whoever is most centered, which is also the most reliable way to quick-throw bombs without having to actually aim them

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

The next patch really is coming any day now and they've announced a long list of bugfixes, so if you keep having trouble with technical stuff you could always try to take a break for a day or two.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

MikeC posted:

never dodge if you are safe. just parry and fast attack counter as many times as possible without getting out of position. edit this is for fist fighting. There is never a reason to dodge in a fist fight unless you are about to get surrounded.
:agreed:
Dodging in a fistfight is almost always a trap, you can stand to block most punches 2-3 in a row or more before your guard breaks, and you have plenty of time to parry/counter the punch.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Javes posted:

Ekhidna decoction is so powerful that I feel bad using it. It trivializes pretty much any combat encounter. I'm on blood and broken bones now but I guess I should bump it up to death march?

Yeah, with the exception of the first 5-10 levels there really is no challenge to combat on easier difficulties.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Best trick to get Roach to spawn where you want him is to turn your back, take 1-3 steps in the opposite direction, and call him. He'll be running straight at you because he always comes from behind to sneak up on you.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

2xBiting Frost is an absolute must-have in any deck

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

:350: Smoke witches err' day :350:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Romes128 posted:

Can you still do side quests after the battle at Kaer Morhen? Or is going to get Ciri from Skellige where you get the prompt to save the last chance you get to screw around in the world?

Some sidequests are failed/taken out of the game depending on the results of that event, but quests that have nothing to do with the main plotline can be done whenever, even after whatever ending you get provided the npc's are still alive and around.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

The insa kill is really loving finicky and works maybe 4 times out of 10. Knock a guy down that is 10 feet away from you and you will *slowly* do your combat walk to him. By that time you'll have .0034 seconds to kill him before he stands up because you took too long to get to him.

The only time you should walk in combat is when you want to dramatically circle around the last remaining guy.

Combat walk is slow as gently caress, rolls and dodge-steps for life.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I should have been clearer, it affects stamina regen. Doesn't use stamina. Rolling stops it far more than dodging does. And dodging for me is risky, seems I have a 50% chance of getting hit anyway

Larger monsters especially (Fiends, Bears, Golems, Elementals, etc.) tend to have really wide arcs on their attacks that can clip you if you dodge them too late or were too close to start with, there is a talent in the swordsman tree that improves dodges and give you damage resistance while dodging. (5/5 points gives you 100% damage reduction while dodging)

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Snuffman posted:

Definitely the oddest story beat was Ciri telling you about the feast out of nowhere, that hadn't been foreshadowed or hinted at and suddenly you're hunting the Wild Hunt's General at a backwoods-party. Other than that, Act 3 felt like a nice build up to the finale.

Ciri has a history with the Wild Hunt elves, Eredin and Imlerith, so it's not that weird that she would know where they celebrate on certain holidays

Even death metal trans-dimensional space-elves party sometimes.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I really hope one of the DLCs let you track down and kill Phillipa because they are the worst person and really deserve it.

Did you try to [spoilers]give Phillipa to Radovid in the quest where he hires you to track her down? I figured she was more useful to me alive in case she might fight the wild hunt with us so I helped her hide, also gently caress radovid[/spoilers]

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So if I want to play this, should I play the first two games first? Or does this one stand fine alone?

The game stands fine on its own. If you want to catch up on the background to get more out of the story I would suggest reading the books more than playing the games; Wild Hunt is much more directly related to the plot of the novels than Geralt's Amnesia Adventures in Witcher 1 & 2

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

mmkay posted:

So I've just gone to Skelige, having mostly finished off Velen and Novigrad (missing out on a couple of higher level quests and some interesting places). How far along in the main quest am I?

More than a third into it, but not much more.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Red Suit posted:

How are the books?

The books are great. The short stories feel a lot like the best of the quests and contracts in game, and the novels are very well written (for genre fiction). Even the fan-translated ones come out mostly uncompromised, with a handful of editing errors and a few phrases here and there that don't quite make sense at first reading.

I cant recommend The Last Wish highly enough. It's a lovely anthology and I can't imagine anyone who appreciates the writing, characters, and plotlines of the game not being instantly hooked.

The books also have a lot more of the non-combat oriented things I loved in the game. Drunken witchers, lovers' quarrels, wizard conspiracies, hallucinogenic drugs, and of course. Dandelion.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 18, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

casual poster posted:

So I want to know where I stand in this game as far as storywise (and time wise). I'm still in Novigrad, haven't left it yet at all. It seems like I'm able to leave here since a main quest is telling me to take a boat to someplace called Skillege (sp?) which I'm guessing is another kingdom, but I haven't done that yet because I'm finishing up some sidequests.

If you haven't gotten to Skellige yet you're barely 30% (assuming you've wrapped up Velen and Novigrad at least up to rescuing Dandelion) into the main quest.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

a large trout posted:

Because I'm a gentleman I always choose for Ciri to wear a towel in the sauna.

What kind of puritan freak wears a towel in a sauna?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

There's not a lot of reason not to do this because even if you quit early Geralt wakes up shirtless and hungover anyway with everyone else having awoken before him.

I loved this quest so much I ended up reloading it and seeing all the different endings. As long as you get wasted enough that you end up searching for Eksel, there's going to be a funny ending whether you try to go to sleep right away after, or go the distance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

Really? I've only gone to sleep before then, and then gone all the way and tried to drunk dial the Lodge while crossdressing. Other stuff happens depending on when you bail?

Lambert doesn't take it well when you don't like his ideas.