Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I want the DLC, but I have an arab copy of the game and I don't feel like paying 20-60% markup on an arab PSN store card. I'm very sad, especially if they release some kind of plot relevant DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I got really excited to try on my new feline witcher armor only to find that my Geralt now looks like a greaser. All he's missing is a pack of cigs rolled up in his sleeve.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Just finished this game. I loved it overall and look forward to their next endeavor.

One thing that really bugged me in this game though was crafting. Generally it was tedious. Alchemy was better than the others.

First was the crafter requirement. It wasn't immediately clear to me what level of crafter I was working with. When you unlock the best crafters, there is no convenient way to get to them, especially the one in Velen. Honestly there should have been a signpost right next to them. Also I think it should have been easier to tell what you had and how much you need for a given recipe with our without pinning. Finally I think you should be able to craft from your stash.

These are obviously niggling issues in on otherwise great game. If the next project fixes these issues then I'll be really happy. Alternatively you could take out gear crafting.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Bodes well then for their next game.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Another thing I was thinking about is the presentation of story in an open world game. The issue in a fantasy open world always seems to be that the story is epic and requires urgency at every turn while the game encourages you to get sidetracked. In that way the game and the story are working against each other and actively take away from both individually.

I think this type of game could have benefited from being open world in the beginning with a story that was really low key and not urgent. And as the story progressed and things became more urgent the world becomes more focused. After the game you can go back to exploring again.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
At the end of the game I felt like Trias was the better choice for Geralt. Just a better person than Yen. If only her voice acting wasn't so grating.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

I too support Trias the Betrayer in his war against heaven.

Haha, whoops!

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Although I've never read the books and probably won't, and u have only played this latest game, the reason I was thinking Triss was the better option was because she is seen doing things for others the entire time, while Yen is always acting for herself.

Someone earlier said that her selfless acts were because of things she caused because she was a member of the lodge, but so was Yen, and I didn't see any other members trying to fix things.

I felt Yen was using Geralt to help herself and was convinced that she would choose power in the end. For that reason I had a hard time accepting her about face at the end of the game.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I noticed the voices I liked the least were all "legacy" characters so I assumed it was just a matter of the game getting better and better voice direction and budget (and putting more thought into it) but needing to keep the same Witcher 1 voices for the characters people already knew. Not that the old voice actors are bad, it's just sometimes jarring to hear an extremely modern american accent in a fantasy europe where everyone has fairly consistent geographical accents. At least the Witcher him self is doing a "voice". Obviously american accent but has a sort of batman thing going on. It was mostly just that Marigold lady that bothered me because she sounded absolutely contemporary. The voice actor her self did a fine job, if the game was set in modern day american she'd be fine.

Dandelion was american too but he was doing a theatrical fop voice on top of that which sells the whole thing.

Also I guess it's just the character design and sometimes personality but every time Yennifer hasn't said anything for a while and she opens her mouth I get confused that she isn't Claudia Black. Every time I remember the character she's just Claudia Black.

The only thing really stopping me from a Triss romance is her voice.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Had anyone played this game without fast traveling? How is it?

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Yes, Geralt starts the game in Viper school armor, and the upgraded Kaer Morhen armor from White Orchard (Warrior's Leather Jacket) along with the two Viper swords comprise the Viper set--in fact I think the Warrior's Leather Jacket is part of the Viper set quest. Geralt wearing it at White Orchard doesn't bother me because all the schools are defunct by the time of the games so it no longer matters, but calling it "Kaer Morhen armor" and having him wear it in the flashback...that's a problem.

I had a cat school guy make a big deal out of the fact that I was wearing cat school with a wolf pendant.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

always be closing posted:

I barely have time to game, do I really need the expansion if I'm just gonna play for an hour or two a week?

Good luck homie. I'm in the same boat and I often find myself playing longer than I should.

That being said I purchased the base game and best it a little at a time. I only recently purchased the expansions. I was able to beat hearts fairly quickly and am just getting into Blood.

I would suggest that you get there base game right now and not worry about the expansions.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
The ending fight in B&W really made me feel awesome before, during and after. The build up of how godlike the beast is makes me feel so savage when I defeat him.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Another reason it's the right thing to kill that cat "bro" is because he doesn't even do you the honor of fighting fair. Guy's a dirt bag.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

redbackground posted:

I just watched the Witcher 2 cinematic of Lotho destroying that one ship and going on an assassin spree singlehandedly and that might be the best thing I see all year. RIP, you delightful jesters.

This reminds me that Letho seemed to be really powerful magically. Was that unique to him, his school or just there for hype?

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Any recommendations on a more for new game plus which gives you all the crafting recipes so I don't have to feel compelled to do the scavenger hunts? Also one that just gives me sufficient ingredients would need cool too.

Or maybe just give me the armor.

I know I could look on Nexus but I greatly dislike that website.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I wish they would have given me a reason to not like Roche. No reason not to stand by him as far as I can tell. Plus the other guy acts like a dirtbag to you the whole time.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

She's the Lady of Space and Time, so she teleports over there and rewinds the watch that makes sure that the universe doesn't explode. If Geralt's a lovely dad, she just, like, doesn't want to do it and stuff.

I read an interesting theory that the frost and Ciri's power stem from the same source. Ciri cuts herself off from her powers in order to also cut the frost off

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I think I'm at about the same spot as Hopper. Botchlings :stonk:

I'm unsure what kind of build is good? I'm not usually an rpg person.

I've mainly put points in fast attack and cat school, and have been wearing light armor. I'm thinking points into alchemy and maybe the shield sign for a little more durability. Any suggestions?

A few things I liked while playing through:

1. The mind control sign for special dialog options (typically win button, but....)

2. The alchemy poison enemy with corresponding oil one.

3. The food lasts for 20 minutes one.

4. The one that upgrades the slow trap in the first level/or the melt armor from Igni.

Basically don't worry about synergy and just pick based on your play style. Your choices don't affect your general effectiveness such that you won't be able to get through the game.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
The in-game bestiary.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Are you talking about "a good breakdown of what bombs do and which monsters to use them on?" That's a terrible answer to that particular question.

The bestiary literally tells you what bomb to use on a given monster. And it's within the game. It's literally the best answer.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
It's clear that Gaunter O Dimm, though powerful, is bound by laws greater than he.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
In playing the Gwent beta I found myself feeling underwhelmed.

I think that Gwent worked well as a mini game and I really enjoyed it. But in playing it outside of the game, in its own game, I just can't stay engaged. The mechanics just don't do enough for me. Ultimately the strategy remains the same. There's no creative paths to victory.

I am eager to try the single player aspect of the game.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
The Witcher Wild Hunt: "The Novigrad Goodbye"

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I feel a lot of sorrow for the author for passing up on a royalty deal. Hopefully the rights he gave away were limited to just the game and that he still retains rights over film and television media.

Had it ever been said what he thinks of the story in the games? I know he didn't like games in general, but had he said whether he likes the story or not?

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I can't think of any good reason to choose Djikstra over Roche. I really want to do something different but everytime I think of this choice I get a narrative disconnect.

I would really love to see the stats on who chose the former. Does CDPR feel like this particular choice was not well conveyed?

Maybe if Djikstra had been more indispensable to me during the game. As it stood, I felt like he was not only a jerk, but the help he did give was never worth the trouble or the time spent speaking to him. Maybe if he paid me handsomely or had very specific information on Ciri that would be difficult to get elsewhere.

Something.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Re: Djikstra

Choices aren't meant to be equivalent in this game, though. Some choices seem like a better deal or q more likely thing based on the narrative because they are. The choices are there to give you options and not force your hand.

See also: Triss and Yenn not being equivalent choices, at all.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Why offer a choice if one way is clearly inferior narratively? To clarify, the results or the meat of the choice do not need to be palatable, but there should be some narrative reason for the alternative choice.

In a game of excellent narrative choices, it stands out to me as a low point.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Anyone gotten debug mode to work on the GOTY edition? Mod instructions don't seem to work.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
There's value in not using auto oils at first. Having to apply the oils yourself will at first require you to consult the bestiary which had interesting information. It also is kind of immersive.

I did auto on my second playthrough though. Aint got time for dat.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I'd really like to see a completely new narrative in the next Witcher game. Here are some things I'd be interested in playing:

1. The saga of a vampire shortly after the conjunction, struggling to find his/her place in this new world. Maybe also settling a score with some elder vampire that was started before the conjunction.

2. Post Witcher 3, after the war has ended, you play a Nilfgaardian soldier just looking to get home to his family. The journey has a distinct "Odyssey" vibe, and there are party members. You fight monsters because you have to.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

The haggling bar, but this time it's for how many of a guy's children he's going to give up.

Bicyclops posted:

The haggling bar, but this time it's for how many of a guy's children he's going to give up.

*Requests 3 Children*

"I see you've decided to be reasonable. We're heading in the right direction. Not quite there yet."

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

The game doesn't really set up Yen well. You don't get most of her dialogue and character development until the last half or so of the game, and if you follow the logical progression of Velen->Novigrad->Skellige you're like loving 40-50+ hours into the game already.

Yen is great but I'm not gonna fault you for disliking her at first pass. I suspect you'll finish the game with a more favorable opinion of her.

Just keep in mind this game is fantastic at characterization and painting complex characters, so don't skip Yen dialogue because you think she's a bitch or anything. She gets better, I changed my mind about 2/3 the way through the base game and regretted romancing Triss because she's rather saccharine and "easy."

edit: also, I think a significant part of the resentment towards Yen is she's a strong, independent female character. Misogyny is real and I think part of the ire directed towards Yen comes down to the fact that she takes a commanding role in her relationship with Geralt much of the time.

For me, my ire with Yen did not stem from her taking a commanding role, but what she did with it. Pretty much everything she did in Skellige made me sick. For someone who only played three, Triss comes off as the more noble character.

I still ended up with Yen in my first go through mostly because I couldn't stand Triss' voice.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Going back to the Cat School guy really quick, I chose to end him. Not because of justice or revenge, but because I saw him as broken permanently. I saw ending him as a mercy Geralt could afford him. I also believed that he would do worse in the future because he was broken, and that would make it worse for Witchers.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I'm doing a second playthrough and I'm trying to justify picking Djikstra over Roche since I did it reversed previously.

Someone talk me into it for the sake of variety.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
My big hangup was leaving a bro to die, bit I think I can justify it if he treated me poorly in the past and he supports Nilfgaard, my enemy and the people looking to puppet and use Ciri.

Further commendation of this game that I care enough about choices that I can feel bad.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I think there's a mod that removes armor level requirements.

Here is the link: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1542/

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

DoctorGonzo posted:

The void sounds ominous and the animals from hell are really pushy about it.

In my first playtrought i let mirror man do his thing.
In my second i whooped his rear end.

Still i dont care about the guy, he was a piece of poo poo anyways. But poor Iris, godammit.

I read this threads opinion of Olgierd and of the Baron. I can't say after playing twice that I think either of these men are as bad as this thread labels them. They did terrible things, but both of them are sorrowful for their actions. The Baron is actively trying to make things right and Olgierd, clear through his wishes, ultimately desires make amends for past wrongs.

Essentially, if you exhibit a desire to be better and to change and feel genuinely bad for what you have done, you're worth more than you know. To do something takes that further.

For Baron, he sacrifices everything to rescue his wife. He hires the best to find them. He also does good for Ciri. A true monster would have tried to take advantage of her in her weakened state.

For Olgierd, his wishes are a clue into his contrition. The first wish is giving his brother the time of his life. He believes this to be impossible because his brother died because of him. But his wish belies a desire to atone for that.

The second is for the Borsodi house. He states that he wanted revenge, but it's a Robin hood scenario. Part of him feels bad for all the plundering, pillaging and general debauchery he spent his life and fortune doing. I think this evidences his desire to improve the world.

His final wish is for his wife's favorite flower. An impossible wish, so he believes. We learn that this was her most treasured possession and represents when their relationship was better and when Olgierd was his true self. We can assume that Olgierd longs for the same from this and from the flashbacks of his efforts to break the promise.

Basically, if a person feels remorse for their actions and are trying to make it better, they're worth the benefit of the doubt. I like them both, and hope that they both make amends with their new lives. Both have endings that suggest they do.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

In conclusion not only is Ole not worth saving, Geralt has no authority to do so.

You have interesting points but Im not convinced of your premises or your conclusion. Authority in this world does come from power. What defines you is how you use that power. That's the point. Geralt is powerful and had the ability to stop Gaunter. More than banish him temporarily, he can dissolve a contract.

So Geralt had the power to stop Gaunter and will if he tries. In essence if you do nothing you are the one condemning Olgierd. You cannot be neutral.

The real test is how you choose to use your power. Will you mete out justice or mercy? Saving Olgierd sets you apart from the Radovids and the Emhyrs.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Also, Radovid (Henselt etc) derive their authority from the divine right of kings, or whatever version they use in the Northern Realms. His power is predicated on his authority not vice-versa, he didn't get to be king because he's the most powerful, he's the most powerful because he's king.

It's a bad post!

But this isn't true on the level of kings. Sure a king is more powerful than anyone in his nation because of his authority as king, but he has no authority over other kingdoms. His power they must be derived from something else.

So when comparing two monarchs, their power is based on the size of their armies and their wealth. In order to gain authority over more people, they must use their power. So among equals, power begets authority.

Going back to the original issue, Geralt has the power to stop Gaunter from taking his prize. Neither Geralt nor Gaunter had authority over eachother, and so both must exercise their power over the other to gain it.

Geralt has the power to negate Gaunters authority and power over Olgierd. So to do nothing would be effectively condemn Olgierd yourself.

Geralt doesn't need authority to intervene. His power alone is sufficient.

To say otherwise would make it always a moral wrong to revolt against a government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

You know Comte is pretty much the authority on The Witcher in this thread, right? He's actually, ya know, worked on the game.

Lol, come on bro. The irony of this post is not lost on me while we are discussing the philosophy of authority and power.