Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What's the point of the (Second act spoilers)Ciri flashback with the wolf king? It feels completely out of place. "I'm being chased by something! Oh nevermind, I ran into a kid and now I'm hunting a werewolf for no real reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Gwent seems a bit weird to me, like a lot of cards seem flat out better than others. Why would you ever use any card with a value of 1 or 2 and no special abilities?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Manatee Cannon posted:

Field cards can set the everything placed on a row at one strength, bonuses notwithstanding. The point is to not waste all your good stuff right out the gate.

I don't think I'll be doing any Gwent myself though.

I was more thinking of when you're building a deck. I think I've understood the general strategies of it so far, but it doesn't seem like a very deep game.
I liked the poker in 2, but I can appreciate that they tried to change things up a bit.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tykero posted:

Just started. The first town has a poster stating that their herbalist is buying honeycomb. I cannot find this herbalist anywhere.

You'll run into her eventually. She lives a bit west of town, in a lone hut.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Carecat posted:

How do you break down junk for crafting?

Talk to a blacksmith, he'll break stuff down for you for a small fee.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Keket posted:

Yeah i am, its that 3 man sword fight in the tavern, i've got it on story and swords, dodge and block and just end up getting murdered every time.

I just spammed left click during that fight and got an achievement for killing 5 people in less than 10 seconds, and one for killing 5 people without taking damage.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I found a bear south of the first town at level 1. That was a hectic 5 minute fight.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

What the gently caress is up with Geralt only being able to fall like 2 feet without taking damage

Yeah seriously, I can fall further than that. He died to a tiny fall down a ravine when I was trying to get down to some Drowners earliers.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

black.lion posted:

At what point do I get access to the barber to change my hair????/////

I rescued a barber from a renegade camp in the north-western part of the second area.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Comrade Flynn posted:

How on earth do you get up to the castle ruins?
You can climb up on the south side if you approach from the west.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
For anyone that wants to make a little extra: It should be obvious, but always bet the max amount on something you're doing. If you lose you can always just reload.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there any way to fight underwater? I got an offshore treasure here, but there's a few Drowners circling it and making my life difficult.

Edit: also a dumb thing: If you only aggro some ranged dudes and stay at a distance, the game won't register you as "in combat" so right mouse button activates spiderWitcher sense instead, so you can't reflect arrows.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 19, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm not sure if loot is randomized in this game or not, but I found a diagram for a really powerful sword on top of a half sunken ship off the coast. The sword requires level 37, and I'm level 5 :wtf:
http://i.imgur.com/qtux3JX.jpgLinked for spoiler

There was no marker or PoI on it, I just swam out there because it looked cool, and it turned out to be a chest hidden on the highest point of it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Wow, I just realized how massive the second area actually is. I've been here for 4, maybe 5 hours, and maybe explored 10-15% of it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
"Botchling" ahaha what a name. Oh god it's so hosed up ahahaha

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Verranicus posted:

So I get why peasants hate the Empire, they see them as invaders, but why does Geralt always have such an attitude when he's dealing with people from Nilfgaard? I just spoke with the commander in White Orchard and the dude was straight up doing everything he could to help the villagers out and Geralt still gave him poo poo. It's like the game is giving me mix messages when we're supposed to hate the Empire but everyone we meet from there is friendlier than people from the North.
The captain you spoke to is kind of two-faced, as with everyone in the witcher world. Also, apparently the emperor and Geralt has some bad blood between them from the books or something.
And then there's the whole Invasion, rape, pillage, slaughter of countless civilans. You know, the usual stuff.

Edit: Also the emperor is a pompous rear end in a top hat.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Rookersh posted:

Books.

The Emperor wants to kidnap and rape Geralt's daughter to form the prophesied child that conquer the world. I could spoil a huge plot of Witcher 3 here but I won't, but suffice to say Ciri/the Emperor have ties you'll learn about ingame.

They've also personally hosed him over multiple times to accomplish this goal, and while they are happy to bring culture to the North, they are doing so with the sword if people don't agree. They don't want the North for land, they want it so their Empire can spread and these new people can be "enlightened". Considering the Empire proper is "gently caress you got mine" supreme land, is that really what the North needs, even if it does mean Elves/Dwarves stop getting killed so often in the streets, and people are polite to Witchers?

Uuuh, are you sure you're not mixing up some people here? From what I've gathered, Ciri is the Emperor's daughter. It's the leader of the Wild Hunt that wants to kidnap Ciri and use her to conquer the world because she has some powers or something something.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Has anyone done the plague island quest? Does it get a happy ending if you agree to take her bones to be buried ashore? I somehow doubt it, but I didn't agree to it because what she was saying seemed wrong, and bringing a pestilence wraith to the mainland doesn't exactly sound like the smartest idea.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Act 1 Geralt: Oh, are you a Lycanthrope? I can totally help you with that.
Act 2 Geralt: I have to kill this Lycanthrope, he's cursed.

:confused:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Hahaha, this quest is so hilariously hosed up (Spoilers for a quest some way into act 2)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you ever find a seashell(junk item), take it to a blacksmith to dismantle it. I got a "Black Pearl" from it, worth 130.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Josef bugman posted:

I do not think they are good guys. Far from it. I am just not especially down with this whole deal of everyone being a dick to each other. That and I really wish that in one of the quests The tracking the Scoiatel who are killing the soldiers. If you defeat them you could just lie to the gaurd captain and not have to have a progrom carried out on your behalf.

Hah, glad I decided to go with the other option on that one. Worst thing that happens then is the commander yells at you a bit.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I appreciate that there's quite a few characters that are actually decent people this time around. Sure, there's a lot of assholes, but a lot of the average peasants you run into, for example, seem to care about others, and are often helpful for no personal gain.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, how many people (end of the first area spoilers)bowed to the emperor?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

fivegears4reverse posted:

The chamberlain will also get bent in a bad way if you don't though :sigh:

The chamberlain is an rear end in a top hat who can't shut the gently caress up about "Northern barbarism" so he can get screwed imo.

Dollas posted:

Should I buy this game? Y/N
Do you like good games? If so, Y.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

WMain00 posted:

What are these concoction recipes I keep picking up? They look like potions that give you incredibly awesome things for a long period of time, but with high toxicity so you can't use anything else.

Am I right?

Powerful effects, expensive and rare ingredients, one use only - no refills, you have to make them from scratch each time. They're basically for difficult fights where you need a little bit extra to get through.

edit:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

WastedJoker posted:

Bit strange that the game has been hyped as open world when it isn't.
What's your definition of open world?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

WastedJoker posted:

Not requiring me to see a loading screen between areas?

It doesn't matter, I guess, but it's weird how much the open world-ness was advertised.

I'm guessing the definition you're looking for is "Seamless world"?
Yeah, that wouldn't be possible with this game, as it takes part in a bunch of drastically different parts of the game world.

Doesn't really bother me much though, as each open area seems absolutely massive. I'd say Velen by itself it's bigger than the map in some other open world games.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Xavier434 posted:

This sounds good. Speaking of combat, is this the kind of game where I can take down enemies that clearly outgun me through general gaming twitch combat reflexes (timing dodge roles, blocks, iframes, etc) or am I generally expected to soak enough damage where this sort of thing is nearly impossible?

Depends on the level. If you're good you can dodge almost everything, but it'll take ages to grind down mobs that are way too high level for you(The world seems decently paced for this, I've only run into two or three enemies that were "??" for me).
It's more than possible to fight mobs that are 5-10 levels above you though, but it takes some quick reflexes and patience.

Edit: If you're sneaky, you can usually also manage to snag treasures that are guarded by high level monsters without having to fight them. You won't get the loot from the monsters themselves then, obviously.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 20, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cephalocidal posted:

Skull-level stuff is pretty easily managed on Hard with the right prep and/or setup. 3/3 first tier Axii plus normal Yrden plus alt Yrden and a bucket of Tawny Owl + some crossbow bolts can make short work of most early-game threats.

I'm somewhat unconvinced that this would work on the skull-level Cockatrice I ran into.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Hmm, should I trust (swamp quest spoilers)this really creepy haunted tapestry, or the giant pulsating mass of meat below the old oak. Decisions, decisions....

Ahahaha, these Crones look like something out of Borderlainds, amazing.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 20, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm really not liking the Ciri flashback sequences. She has no abilities, so they're all boring spamfests, and also really easy. The game could just as well been using cutscenes or those nifty hand-drawn story sequences.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Archonex posted:

What are gems for? I've not done any deconstruction yet.

Seems they're used for some of the higher tier swords, maybe some for armor as well. I got one level 35 sword diagram that needed a ruby, I believe.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Btw guys, read books. They give you free bestiary entries, and can sometimes even give you alchemy recipes.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Where can I find Uma? I haven't seen him since the cutscene he was introduced in.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

theDOWmustflow posted:

If you are experiencing huge slowdowns, especially during camera closeup scenes, this is probably because you have the Nvidia HairFX or whatever option set to all or Geralt. If you have a weak Nvidia card or any ATI, TURN THAT poo poo OFF. That one option alone can account for more than 20FPS difference if you have an ATI card.

Also regarding the Ladies of the Woods, IMO the Ladies are objectively and in a vacuum, the greater evil, but the better option in the context of the needs of the people during Geralt's stint. I mean drat, they demand child sacrifice in Hansel and Gretel-fashion, and feed the scraps to their followers once a year (pot of boiled meat anyone?). In exchange for curses-disguised-as-blessings, the poor, stupid, and powerless peasantry are manipulated into being tools for the Ladies to inflict their will on the world, such as cutting down trees to expand the swamp, which invoked the ire of their only true regional rival, the True Neutral druid. I think Geralt gets it wrong when he says the spirit was "evil" to the Ealderman. It only seems that way because the spirit wants to exact terrible justice on the Ladies for their innumerable crimes against nature, and unfortunately the peasants have to bear the brunt of Nature's blind wrath.

However, I killed the spirit because gently caress magic and because the alternative option's chain of events leads to the Baron's death and implies that horrible broken men-ruled rape-and-pillage regime will take his place,
which is way worse to me then the plight of some swamp people

There's also the kids, but I guess it's easy to forget about them.
It's kinda funny how the spirit is all "Please release me, I must go and rescue the kids!", and then the first thing he does is destroy an entire hamlet.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Verranicus posted:

At what point in the main story after leaving White Orchard do you guys figure makes the most sense to gently caress off and do side stuff?

Whenever you wish really. Maybe wait until after you've met the Baron.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Elderbean posted:

That Jenny O' The Woods fight is hard as gently caress, putting it off for now.

A tip for those kind of fights. When they split up, just run away. They'll merge back together immediately, and won't heal back anything.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oh Dandelion, you've been busy. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ghetto wormhole posted:

I noticed enemies can accidentally hit and even kill their friends with projectiles, that's a nice touch. Had a bandit leader down to almost no health and he caught a crossbow bolt from his buddy to the back and died.

I cleared out an entire band of ??-level renegades by positioning myself so there was a crossbowman taking out all of his comrades. Then I finished by reflecting a bolt into him as well.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Jesus the outcomes of your choices in this game are a hell of a lot harder to parse out than in Witcher 2. I decided to free the spirit under the tree so it would help the children in Crookback Bog, that I assumed were fueling some unholy witch stuff. It did rescue the children but now it burned down almost all of Downwarren, the Crones put a deadly curse on Anna, and after she dies the Baron hangs himself.

Anyone else get a happier ending to that shitshow?
Maybe we'll get a kickass horse somewhere down the line?

Edit: Also, if you don't rescue him, the crones eat the children. The spirit isn't exactly evil, the bad stuff happening as a result is mostly because of the Crones.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 21, 2015