Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quote:

Geralt of Rivia awakes at Kaer Morhen, bereft of even those bits of knowledge courtesy of some rather convenient amnesia. He travels a treacherous path of enemies and friends who have grudges and debts yet to repay, slaying monsters and saving folk along the way. He avoids dalliances with unintended rhyme and becomes aware of a prophecy to end the world. Not some no account, Mad Max motherfucker prophecy either, a real gently caress poo poo Up Forever prophecy. It is said that time of The Wolf's Blizzard approaches, and it's going to make a winter written by George R.R. Martin look like a weekend in Boca Raton. Between the insurgent non-humans and the feuding kings this is really all he needs, a prophecy to end the world, and on top of it a secret cult dedicated to who knows what. Problems and politics eventually fall to the wayside and Geralt faces a choice, posed by a figment of Death Itself; leave his past behind or embrace it in whole. Choices aside, Geralt comes to his reward to find his employer under assault. Engaging in a desperate struggle Geralt kills the assailant only to find the man kin.

Some days later, Geralt awakes yet again, remembering more but once again lacking purpose. He finds himself in a siege to recover the children of his employer and in the course of doing so his failure to protect his king is immense. Struggling under suspicion from all sides and the ever-nagging presence of his personal bard, Geralt wades once again into the intrigues of Temeria and Redania. Non-humans on one side and vicious kingsmen on the other, a common theme in the rousing life of our plucky witcher, he finds his way through the murk of politics to the killer of kings. Making a difficult choice is nothing new to our fair hero and life continues apace towards even more as he races to stop wars both civil and un. Sorceresses and dragons abound as our hero winds his way to the end of the tale, making decisions that will shape the north for years to come, and the troll population to boot. Having made his mark on the politics of more frigid climates he treks off into the sun to find new adventure, and hopefully a bit of coin.

I realize you might want to avoid spoilers or something, but these are both confusing as gently caress and I've played the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Every other picture in the gallery looks loving amazing, I have no idea what you're talking about.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Utnayan posted:

There was a youtube video that showed them side by side and there was literally no difference which sparked this whole mess. It has now been conveniently taken down. Check rerolled.org. Heaven forbid we tell the truth here. Sales will not be impacted my little viral marketing lemmings.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IU9rlkCOk9E

Even the people on rerolled.org are disagreeing with you.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Utnayan posted:

For the record I could care less but had I known this before I would have bought the ps4 version. Instead this developer clearly states why they kept it in the dark which, honestly, who gives a gently caress. Just be honest.

You are very blatantly the only person in this thread who cares. Please stop posting.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

What would you rather have: A game that looks great and runs well, or a game that looks amazing and runs like complete poo poo without a dual video card setup?

The latter obviously. If those filthy loving console peasants are allowed to touch my glorious PC gaems, this entire hobby will collapse.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

lovely Wizard posted:

They could easily just say "the game has been downgraded because x" instead of dancing around it though.

Comte has literally explained the reasons for the disparity between the earliest trailer and today and yet apparently there's still a big CDPR conspiracy because?????

quote:

Witcher 2 with über sampling chokes even on my 770.

I really enjoy how you picked the exact setting that is ridiculously, ludicrously inefficient for a minimum of visual improvement.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Can we go back to talking about the conspiracy about leaving out Geralt's dong? That discussion actually somehow features fewer dicks than this one.

Inequality in terms of male-female genitalia, CDPR is hiding the glorious majesty of the phallus from us, clearly they are part of the kyriarchy.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Utnayan posted:

How about we ban all viral marketers so we can acknowledge downfalls made by a company, which is still a good company and made a mistake here by not informing PC gamers by what was going on long before hand, get the gently caress over it with a lot of folks by acknowledging the gently caress up instead of scapegoating it, and enjoy the game regardless and hopefully correct it for the future.

Ahahahahah yes please take a hard right into crazy town.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm watching the Giant Bomb Not-A-Quick-Look right now and I have to say, I really appreciate (tutorial area spoiler) how Kaer Morhen's layout in W3 is identical to Kaer Morhen's layout in W1. It was really distracting how Redcliffe in Dragon Age: Inquisition looked nothing like Redcliffe in Dragon Age: Origins and I'm glad CDPR isn't making the same mistake.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Utnayan posted:

Stairs. You fucks aren't protected anymore.

gently caress HE KNOWS THE SECRET CODE WORD ABORT ABORT

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can I still manually switch between swords? Was there ever even a practical reason to do that in the previous games? I don't think I ever encountered a fight with both humans and monsters at the same time.

I believe it was mentioned that Geralt automatically draws whatever sword is appropriate to the enemy he's facing.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Utnayan posted:

Here is the lowest spec, an 8800 GTS back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSUXpV3_xec

And that is with fraps hitting the frame rate.

This 480p video is amazing whoaaaaaa

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

VDay posted:

You guys realize if you just ignore him he'll eventually get tired of yelling into the empty void of the internet and will go back to scrawling things on his wall in his own feces, right? Like, just talk about the game, it'll be ok we'll get through this.

I want to see how far I can get his conspiracy theory hole dug and also I want him to really commit to the idea of the game not looking good so that when it comes out and everyone is like "Whoa, this game is really pretty" he's forced to shout "NO NO YOU PLEBIAN FUCKS IT DOESN"T HAVE UBERSAMPLING ITS LITERALLY RAPING MY EYES"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Utnayan posted:

I am sorry but can you explain this conspiracy theory when two developers of the game already admitted as such?

You not understanding the technical and visual aspects of game development over a 3 year period is not CDPR's fault.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Utnayan posted:

Not telling your customer base about it, and it only becoming known when a developer leaks it a day ago with videos that have been deleted from youtube? *IS* CDPR's fault.

I am sorry that you have someone missed the massive marketing blitz CDPR has done for this game over the past few weeks that has included multiple trailers, letting YouTube personalities play the game and record it, and lifting the review embargo a week early. Perhaps if you had seen all of that, it would have given you an idea of the visual fidelity of this game.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Spikeguy posted:

Close this thread, and go back to the other one. It seemed a little more focused.

The arguing will just shift over there and it will all end anyway when the game releases and we actually have something to talk about.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Utnayan posted:

Maybe you missed that fact that all of those were PS4 copies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv0gJ8DpUd0

This is the same dude who posted your smoking gun interview so do you trust that he played it on PC?

quote:

Didn't you get the memo in viral?

Arguing on the Internet protip: accusing people who disagree with you of being paid shills will never not make you look like a crazy person.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Utnayan posted:

I guess neither does deleting the evidence on youtube.

Nope, nope, nope, don't wiggle away from this. So is the footage recorded and released with CDPR's authorization by docm77 PC gameplay and therefore indicative of the platform's graphics or not? I would like to point out that he claimed it was running at 60 FPS, which the PS4 isn't and should be very important to a graphics hound like you. Which makes it odd that you claim you would have rather gotten the game on PS4 if you had only known about this terrible downgrade.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Utnayan posted:

Are you serious right now? I do not care about 60 FPS as much as I care about fidelity and effects at 45 FPS. I would run this at 30 FPS if it meant I had the graphic fidelity of what was already played in 2013.

Nothing was played in 2013. An out-of-context clip was played in a marketing trailer. There was no physical play going on, no game systems working in the background. You might say it was

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU9rlkCOk9E

He then goes on to say, as he jitters like nuts because he knows he shouldn't be talking about it (and says, hey guys, grass shouldn't be sharp that was a detriment)

I actually finally bothered to watch this video and its kind of amazing that at the very start, the interviewer (fresh from having played the PC version and recording a video of it) says the game looks amazing. This is your smoking gun! Your conclusive proof! And in its opening moments, it flat out disagrees with you! The artist then begins to explain what happened between 2013 and now, the same thing that Comte explained in the last thread and multiple people have tried to explain to you in this thread. I also enjoy that you seem to interpret someone who doesn't speak English as their first language and isn't a polished PR person as being "jittery" when he is attempting to simplify technical concepts down for the layman.

quote:

Yes, had I known, I would have gotten this on PS4. It's the same drat game on both platforms, I gain nothing from buying on PC. My complaint is laziness! I do not want to hook up my PC to my theater and hook up audio for a better visual experience on my PC if I am not getting it. Why would I??? As I said I am not saying the game sucks, I cant wait to play it. My beef is with why they held back information on the PC version. Just loving admit they hosed up and move on already. Holy poo poo.

I'm sorry but this is absurd. The PC can run this game at 4k and at 60 FPS. The PS4 cannot. If they are identical in all other graphical effects (as you claim) the PC will still remain the superior graphics platform for those reasons alone. As you are clearly a graphic aficionado, I am certain you have a rig capable of running it at very high levels. Resolution and framerate are no small graphical effects, far more significant than mere particle effects or high degrees of anti-aliasing and would absolutely be worth the "effort" to get your rig set up in the fashion you seem to want it set up. Yet you seem to be willing to get it on PS4 and play the visually same game at a worse framerate and lower resolution. You are a confusing individual, sir/madam.

quote:

Unless they just have very piss poor optimization on the PC platform which is yet to be seen because no one was given a review copy of the PC version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv0gJ8DpUd0

You are still refusing to address that this video exists. Why is that Utnayan?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Archimago posted:

1stGear,

That dude does not deserve your posting. Please stop. For my sake, your sake, and the thread's sake.

Also, the children.

Its bedtime anyway.

Good night, Utnayan! I hope you have a reasoned and effective response when I wake up that doesn't call me a CDPR shill or anything!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Any moment an admin is going to wake up and hit him with the month probation gnarlyhotep requested, so enjoy the Utnayan Experience while you can.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Don't be shocked if an early steam unlock happen - it's not unheard of for it to happen 40 minutes before the scheduled time (presumably to give people time to decrypt the data).

Or the Portal 2 Potato ARG where thousands of people spent tens of thousands of man hours to release Portal 2...an hour early. :v:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Utnayan, let's discuss how you are an obvious shill for Sony.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

shrike82 posted:

Yikes, a lot of reports about the game hardlocking the consoles.
Playing the in-game card game seems to be a consistent culprit.

Looking forward to seeing floods of bug reports here tomorrow.

Weirdly enough, searching "card game Witcher freezing" returns exactly zero results.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

shrike82 posted:

Oops, apparently it's common enough that Comte is aware of it

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

By the way, that card game crash is the only technical problem I've run into at all, and it seems like it will be a non-issue at launch.

I've been critical of the series' combat but aside from my relatively minor quibbles with that aspect of Witcher 3 this already feels like a special game. There's something unique about the flow between this particular brand of open world design and classic Witcher conversations with grubby weirdos and liars.

Previews had me expecting meaningful discoveries between large areas that were relatively sparse but visually interesting. That's exactly what this game is delivering so far. You have just enough down time in quiet fields and forests to make it feel like a big adventure. It's the sort of game where you often find yourself walking even though you could ride a horse, and walking slowly even though you could run. Also, diving into the water in an interesting-looking but unmarked spot netted me a sunken treasure chest full of goodies.

This is good to hear. I was worried this game would fall into the same problem as other open-world games where the minute you step off the path you're fighting monsters.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
loving nvidia drivers download faster you fucks

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Wait, so you have to have the exact ingredients in order to brew potions/oils? Because that's kind of loving annoying when I want to make some specter oil and I have no idea where to find the petals it needs.

Also, are any quests timed? Because that dude's daughter needs the water from the well but apparently I have to go find some drat flower and I don't want her to die in the process.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So am I missing a trick to the ghost contract at the very start? Spoilers just in case because it is a neat little thing.

I got the journal and now I need to go to the well but she just attacks me when I get close, I'm paranoid that killing her somehow gives me the 'bad end' or something to this...and also she's pretty tough, am I supposed to 'stealth' it or am I just needing to kill her to move on?

You can't actually "kill" her because she's still bound to the well. Whack her a few times with your silver sword and she fucks off, to return either the next day or when you reach a certain stage in the quest. If you're having a hard time with her, drop a Yrden. She's vulnerable inside it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Is it an open world, or is it sectioned off like in DAI? Because I've found the edge of the map already and I can't scroll that far in any one direction when I look at the local map. Maybe it's just like that because it's the first area and it's gating me from leaving the place until I've killed the griffin or what have you.

It's sectioned off into a few different chunks. You can see them if you check the full world map.

That said, each chunk is way, way bigger than DAI's levels.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

You're about to be invaded by the Wild Hunt/Nilfgaardians. You should probably prepare for that.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Death March is so good. Makes me actually feel like a pro as gently caress witcher after every fight.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ShadowMoo posted:

From what I heard there is no respec.

There's a loading screen tip mentioning that some merchants sell a potion that lets you respec.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Death March trip report: Beat the gryphon with three tries, Quen still stupidly overpowered.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Arglebargle III posted:

Witcher 3: "I want to find Yennifer." *???*

Do you think ??? is going to be *finds Yennifer, goes home*?

Its presumably going to be "Stops an invasion of space elves, prevents the coming of Tedd Deireadh, bangs all of the hottest chicks on the Continent, and a non-zero chance of killing Emperor Emhyr while he's doing it."

The entire time he will bitch about he's only doing it cause he's getting paid (he is not getting paid).

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Sauer posted:

The hunter is pouring his heart out to Geralt and a bunch of dear are mugging the camera. Get out of here you loving deer.

Oh God I felt so awful when that happened. "Hey, I'll just ask this dude what the problem is cause I'm an RPG Protagonist and I'll probably get a quest out of this and look Geralt is even saying he can help and oh gently caress gently caress abort ABORT"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Verranicus posted:

Anyone else using fast travel as little as possible for the immersion factor?

I been using fast travel as little as possible because it seems like it takes waaaay more in-game time than manually traveling, at least in White Orchard.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
gently caress you nilfgaardian nobleman I'll be back when I have a better deck and then i'm gonna wipe your smug not-german rear end all over the floor

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Thunderbro posted:

Once you get out of poo poo Creek prices improve. There's a gold gate thrown into the game and when you get to the point where that's relevant it very pointedly starts throwing disgusting amounts of cash at you. Also certain types of items sell for different amounts to different merchants.

Specifically, sell honeycombs to the herbalist in White Orchard. She pays top dollar for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If you're fighting a group of enemies, don't auto-target. You limit your movement and your vision. Just push the stick towards them and hit the attack buttons.